It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Holocaust denial and related subjects.
Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:37 am

scrmbldggs wrote:...but will they keep him on, once they got what they craved?

They still need him to keep the rabid Trumplings in line. I can’t really say but it’s possible that the Republicans turn on him if they get hammered in 2018.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:07 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:It still amazes me that the Republicans are so happy over something that is unpopular.

This says it all:

What Republicans passed in the wee hours of Saturday morning then was this: An unpopular bill that will add to the deficit and not pay for itself.

On its face, that looks like a political loser. And it might be! But Republicans, backed into a corner by their own inability to get on the same page on other conservative agenda items, felt as though they had no choice in the matter. They needed to pass something to appease their base and this tax plan was the last, best option. (Worth noting: six in 10 Republicans in that Quinnipiac poll approved of the GOP tax plan.)

Its not unpopular with who's important: The Donor Class. They gave express direct orders to pass such a bill or the $$$ will dry up. The politics of the whole thing CANNOT BE MORE CLEAR.

Just look.......and forego the pleasure of thinking everyone else is dumb.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:59 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:If I understand correctly, it still has to pass House and Senate again in unchanged form and then be signed by a dud who wants nothing more than being loved and admired by... well, whomever he deems useful...

The House is free to pass the Senate bill without changes, but given the differences* between the House and Senate versions, the legislation will likely go to "conference." Conference is a committee of members of both chambers, which prepares a final version. That version then is voted on by the House and by the Senate; assuming the conference version passes both chambers, it goes to Yo-Yo's desk where someone reminds him how to spell his name and he signs it.

---------
* 1. The Senate bill eliminates the ACA's individual mandate; the House bill doesn't do this. 2. The tax cuts for individuals, which expire in the Senate version, do not expire in the House's version. 3. The Senate bill has a top individual tax rate of 38.5% whilst the House bill has a top rate of 39.6%. 4. The two bills have 7 brackets but the income ranges per bracket differ. 5. The House bill limits mortgage interest deduction to first $500,000; the Senate bill leaves mortgage interest deductions unchanged. 6. In the House bill the corporate tax cuts begin at one; in the Senate bill these rate cuts take effect in 2019. 7. The House bill eliminates the estate tax; the Senate bill limits the tax to estates worth less than $11m. 8. The two bills differ in the amount provided for child care credits.
. . . I mean Negative Capability, that is, when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason—Coleridge, for instance, would let go by a fine isolated verisimilitude caught from the Penetralium of mystery, from being incapable of remaining content with half-knowledge. - John Keats, 1817

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:01 pm

Balmoral95 wrote:He must be feeling either very confident or very insecure to have possibly incriminated himself.

I doubt he knows he did so.
. . . I mean Negative Capability, that is, when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason—Coleridge, for instance, would let go by a fine isolated verisimilitude caught from the Penetralium of mystery, from being incapable of remaining content with half-knowledge. - John Keats, 1817

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:03 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:...but will they keep him on, once they got what they craved?

They still need him to keep the rabid Trumplings in line. I can’t really say but it’s possible that the Republicans turn on him if they get hammered in 2018.

Their use of him extends far beyond taxes. For starters, the courts. Toss in executive actions on regulation. Pouring dollars into the military. Rolling back (much more to come) "the safety net" (Medicare, Social Security) and social spending in general. Keeping the yahoos attached to the Republican party and waving around pitchforks and torches. Whilst he misbehaves a lot, on these core issues, he's been a good boy.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:13 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Balmoral95 wrote:He must be feeling either very confident or very insecure to have possibly incriminated himself.

I doubt he knows he did so.

Someone has told him about his gaffe. So he this morning he tweets, "I never asked Comey to stop investigating Flynn. Just more Fake News covering another Comey lie!"

(In his first tweet, Orange {!#%@} mentioned Flynn's pleading guilty to "those lies" to Pence and the FBI; this is bizarre, as I understand it to be a crime, to which Flynn pleaded guilty, to lie to the FBI - the pretend scenario in which Pence was in the dark and lied to doesn't enter into the guilty plea.)

Out of control: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... 989f7fef8f

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:19 pm

In normal times you'd just dismiss Lou Dobbs' verbal assaults on the law and decency as quackery; in today's climate it's the tip of an autocratic iceberg heading for the SS Democracy: "Obama should be arrested for implying Trump needs a filter, Fox Business host suggests"

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:28 pm

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Dear [Salutation][First Name]

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:32 pm

Republican Heller shows his compassion for a cancer patient.
"Reserve a part of your wrath ; you have not seen the worst yet. You suppose that this war has been a criminal blunder and an exceptional horror ; you imagine that before long reason will prevail, and all these inferior people that govern the world will be swept aside, and your own party will reform everything and remain always in office. You are mistaken."

George Santayana, "Tipperary" (1918)

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:34 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:If I understand correctly, it still has to pass House and Senate again in unchanged form and then be signed by a dud who wants nothing more than being loved and admired by... well, whomever he deems useful...

The House is free to pass the Senate bill without changes, but given the differences* between the House and Senate versions, the legislation will likely go to "conference." Conference is a committee of members of both chambers, which prepares a final version. That version then is voted on by the House and by the Senate; assuming the conference version passes both chambers, it goes to Yo-Yo's desk where someone reminds him how to spell his name and he signs it.

If he remembers what he came into the room to do.
"Reserve a part of your wrath ; you have not seen the worst yet. You suppose that this war has been a criminal blunder and an exceptional horror ; you imagine that before long reason will prevail, and all these inferior people that govern the world will be swept aside, and your own party will reform everything and remain always in office. You are mistaken."

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:34 pm

. . . meanwhile Yertle the Turtle is back in Kentucky lying about the tax bill he just got through the Senate . . .

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:35 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:

If he remembers what he came into the room to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKJv_LNIE1A

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:43 pm

The failing NY Times has gotten copies of emails showing Flynn's coordination with Trump's transition team. One email, from KT McFarland, former FOX loon, to "a colleague," written on 29 December, opined that the election-meddling sanctions announced by Obama that day were aimed at discrediting Trump's victory. In her view the sanctions, she wrote, would make relations with Russia more difficult - complicating Trump's dealings with Russia: “If there is a tit-for-tat escalation Trump will have difficulty improving relations with Russia, which has just thrown U.S.A. election to him.”

Four things:
1) The Trumpies truly believe that "Russian election interference" is nothing more than a partisan battle cry.
2) Flynn's lying to the FBI was to cover up his transition activities and protect those on the Trump team with whom he'd coordinated.
3) Trump seems increasingly likely to have been part of both the planning of these activities and the coverup of them.
4) Russia "has just thrown U.S.A. election to [Trump],” sayeth Ms McFarland on Trump's transition team.

I have to let #4 sink in.
Last edited by Statistical Mechanic on Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:44 pm

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:51 pm

On behalf of the Republicans, I ask, what do the Democrats have to do with anything? There was no intent to involve them or seek their votes, so who cares what they got when? ;)

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:54 pm

Reducing the deficit: Every little bit helps, and we can't cut anything essential, like tax credits for people who want to study Bible prophecy (see the amendment Hatch#1685 on Claire McCaskill's list in the link posted above).

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:58 pm

and more from the Grey Lady: "Operative Offered Trump Campaign ‘Kremlin Connection’ Using N.R.A. Ties", Sessions involved, ditto Kushner - and likely Alexander Torshin again

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:02 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:and more from the Grey Lady: "Operative Offered Trump Campaign ‘Kremlin Connection’ Using N.R.A. Ties", Sessions involved, ditto Kushner - and likely Alexander Torshin again

The more Sessions, the better. I think I hate him more than I hate anyone else in the Republican Party, except possibly Pence and Trump themselves. As often happens, "Roland Hedley" uses his Twitter account to highlight those three little words that have now dug Trump deeper into the pit he was already in.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:08 pm

And maybe another unforced error/own goal. Remains to be seen.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:11 pm

For the record, I don't think that the Russian connection explains Trump's victory - there are powerful, right-wing populist forces (shorthand for a lot we've discussed over the past year or so) at work in this country which Trump exploited in making, eventually, a governing alliance with more traditional right-wing, pro-business leadership of the GOP. But I am beginning to see too much evidence of connection between Trump's campaign and the Russians to pooh-pooh "collusion" (and if there were collusion of the sort that turns up again and again at this point, it also appears that the Trumpies violated election laws).

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:13 pm

Wondering what follow-up Trump will think of to distract people yet again from his crimes. Probably whatever Muslim-atrocity stories come his way by chance or through diligent research. I'm thinking that this aspect of his presidency is the most ominously similar to the Nazi program. This thread fits into the Holocaust Denial board now better than it has all year.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:16 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:and more from the Grey Lady: "Operative Offered Trump Campaign ‘Kremlin Connection’ Using N.R.A. Ties", Sessions involved, ditto Kushner - and likely Alexander Torshin again

The more Sessions, the better. I think I hate him more than I hate anyone else in the Republican Party, except possibly Pence and Trump themselves. As often happens, "Roland Hedley" uses his Twitter account to highlight those three little words that have now dug Trump deeper into the pit he was already in.

I'm gonna add the one described by Andrew Sullivan as Trump's dim-witted mute dauphin (the homonym made me also think of Jared as a porpoise, which I do think he resembles)

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:19 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:Wondering what follow-up Trump will think of to distract people yet again from his crimes. Probably whatever Muslim-atrocity stories come his way by chance or through diligent research. I'm thinking that this aspect of his presidency is the most ominously similar to the Nazi program. This thread fits into the Holocaust Denial board now better than it has all year.

For now it's ABC's major reporting error (investors dumb enough to bail on stocks Friday should sue!) and the Peter Strzok story (FBI corrupt and in Hillary's pocket . . . despite everything we know about Giuliani and the NY office, it should be recalled). He'll think of more, give him some time.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:25 pm

Excellent piece focusing on the "governing alliance with more traditional right-wing, pro-business leadership of the GOP" part of the equation I mentioned above, tracing how the Republican party as a whole went over during the '90s and '00s to a phony populism, a racially hued opposition to Obama, and integration with a right wing media complex to "break" governance. Trump's election has brought "an extreme acceleration of a process that was long underway in conservative politics," according to the authors.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:48 pm

WaPo has been told by Trump informants ("two people familiar with the message") that John Dowd, one of Trump's lawyers, wrote yesterday's tweet in which the president admits to obstruction of justice. The paper reports this as fact and straight news, commenting that the authorship of the tweet possibly lessens its impact ("could reduce how significantly it communicates anything about when the president knew that Flynn had lied to the FBI") and positions the tweet as a PR strategy issue.

It is not clear why WaPo would report such information (disinformation?) in this manner. The Daily Beast highlights, for example, that Dowd "claims" to have written the tweet ("Trump Lawyer Claims He Wrote Trump’s ‘Sloppy’ Flynn Tweet").

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:02 pm

degenerate liars: Trump, Cruz, Abbott, Breitbart

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:14 pm

Note to Huckchuckle, McConnell, et al: voters do not "litigate" criminal matters; it does not matter in a criminal case or civil lawsuit one iota that Trump, Franken, Conyers, Farenthold or others won elections in "litigating" crimes they may have committed. Ditto, when he wins the Alabama Senate seat, Roy Moore. Reporters would do well to stop using this term out of context as Republican honchos want them to use it, in a manner to mislead voters and help Roy Moore win.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:15 pm

Trump daily tracker: 34/61 (-27).

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:37 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:WaPo has been told by Trump informants ("two people familiar with the message") that John Dowd, one of Trump's lawyers, wrote yesterday's tweet in which the president admits to obstruction of justice. The paper reports this as fact and straight news, commenting that the authorship of the tweet possibly lessens its impact ("could reduce how significantly it communicates anything about when the president knew that Flynn had lied to the FBI") and positions the tweet as a PR strategy issue.

It is not clear why WaPo would report such information (disinformation?) in this manner. The Daily Beast highlights, for example, that Dowd "claims" to have written the tweet ("Trump Lawyer Claims He Wrote Trump’s ‘Sloppy’ Flynn Tweet").

No disclaimer underneath about showing 'how FAKE NEWS is hatched and born'? :-P

Lard, save me from your followers.

Kleon_I XYZ Contagion
Poster

Postby Kleon_I XYZ Contagion » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:07 pm

Is he really losing it? A lot of signs, isn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqjCxNnrhss
According to experts and scholars, the 10 stages of every genocide are
Classification Symbolization Discrimination Dehumanization Organization Polarization Preparation Persecution Extermination
... and finally the 10th stage:
Denial
http://www.genocidewatch.org/genocide/t ... ocide.html

XYZ Contagion (‘Because the truth is contagious‘), an investigative/research political and historical website, deals also with the Srebrenica Genocide
https://xyzcontagion.wordpress.com/about/#English

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:05 pm

Michigan voters in Trump Country on the tax bill (firewall) . . . hint: feelings seem to lean against based on the reporter's interviews . . . sample:
Here in the Detroit suburbs and across the country, many voters say they view the Republican tax plan as simply a giveaway for the rich that will benefit only a small number of people in the long run.

Note to any such voters who voted Trump: you asked for it, you got it, baby.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:13 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:WaPo has been told by Trump informants ("two people familiar with the message") that John Dowd, one of Trump's lawyers, wrote yesterday's tweet in which the president admits to obstruction of justice. The paper reports this as fact and straight news, commenting that the authorship of the tweet possibly lessens its impact ("could reduce how significantly it communicates anything about when the president knew that Flynn had lied to the FBI") and positions the tweet as a PR strategy issue.

No disclaimer underneath about showing 'how FAKE NEWS is hatched and born'? :-P

Oh dear! I thought America's supreme CEO would know that he is responsible for any communication that appears under his name. The prima facie case is that he tweeted this, and the burden of proof that he didn't is on him. OF COURSE, he didn't mean to say what he said. That's because he never knows what he is saying.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:22 pm

Kleon_I XYZ Contagion wrote:Is he really losing it? A lot of signs, isn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqjCxNnrhss

Indeed, a LOT of signs. Comparisons of Trump speech patterns a decade ago and today are startling in their contrast. As I mentioned above, he sounds more and more like a nursery-school teacher addressing three-year-old children, using multiple repetitions of very simple phrases. As he said to the Navajo code-talkers this week, "You are very special people. I like you. I really like you." And of course, he mixed in a jab at Elizabeth Warren, disparaging her by using the name of Pocahontas, who was a real Indian woman. Even though Pocahontas herself was not a Navajo, the Navajos were offended by this. And in the video within the video link here, he goes completely off-track and starts ranting about Kim Jong-Un, in the middle of what is supposed to be an address on taxes. This is a mind in disarray.

And now he tweets that America is respected again. Where, and by whom, I want to know. It almost surpasses belief that he has managed to get relations with Britain to such a low level that Members of Parliament are calling for his arrest if he comes to the UK. How much lower can American prestige sink than that?

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:24 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Trump daily tracker: 34/61 (-27).

Hmm, wonder if that will go up when he gets his photo-op signing the tax bill. No matter. It won't ever get even close to positive territory.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:37 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:Trump daily tracker: 34/61 (-27).

Hmm, wonder if that will go up when he gets his photo-op signing the tax bill. No matter. It won't ever get even close to positive territory.

Yesterday was -29, matching 29 Oct.

But his approval ratings have been remarkably consistent:

This is a bad thing. Unpopular as the man is, the Republicans have glommed onto him - e.g., McConnell today adopting The Trump Line on Roy Moore. He is succeeding, I hate to say. Part of the problem is that we lack an effective opposition party. The Gerontocrats in fact seem to have learned nothing since last fall - and actually managed to become worse.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:39 pm

Mr Pence reflects on what Mr Flynn might say about him:

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:03 pm

Marco Rubio late this past week: “You also have to bring spending under control. And not discretionary spending. That isn’t the driver of our debt. The driver of our debt is the structure of Social Security and Medicare for future beneficiaries.”

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:37 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:...

:hmm: That graph looks like it could use some lithium.

Lard, save me from your followers.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:55 pm

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:24 am

Our Leader, President Big Mac

Return to “Holocaust Denial”