It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Holocaust denial and related subjects.
Xcalibur
Frequent Poster

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Postby Xcalibur » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:42 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Arm...nada?

As the White House was talking about sending a naval "armada" to the Korean Peninsula, the very ships in question were on their way to participate in military exercises in the Indian Ocean, some 3,500 miles in the opposite direction.

A senior administration official blamed a miscommunication between the Pentagon and the White House over reports that the aircraft carrier has not made its way to the Sea of Japan, also known as the East Sea, as an expected show of force to North Korea...

That's probably what those Russian planes came for to inform him of... :lol:

Little hint for Wolf Blitzer: we don't deploy "battleships" any more... not since 1992 when the Missouri was decommissioned. Idiot.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:45 am

Some report only "a warm welcome" and "hundreds" at Kenosha - big chunk of those were protesters. All in all pretty peaceful tho...

Lard, save me from your followers.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:49 am

Kenosha - Trump won the county by a few 10ths.
. . . I mean Negative Capability, that is, when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason—Coleridge, for instance, would let go by a fine isolated verisimilitude caught from the Penetralium of mystery, from being incapable of remaining content with half-knowledge. - John Keats, 1817

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:56 am

Olberman asked Is There an Actual Tape of Trump's Russia Collusion and CNN reports:

FBI used dossier allegations to bolster Trump-Russia investigation

The dossier is a collection of memos...purport to describe efforts by Russian intelligence to gather compromising information on Trump. CNN reported earlier this year that both President Obama and then-President Elect Trump were briefed on the dossier's existence in part to ensure that Trump understood what was being circulating among intelligence agencies investigating the dossier...US investigators say they have corroborated some aspects of the allegations, particularly the conversations between foreign nationals that took place as described in the reports.

Found this (from above article) noteworthy
Then-candidate Trump cited Page last year in an interview as one of his advisers on national security matters. He was officially on the campaign foreign policy team from March 2016 to September 2016. Page calls himself a 'junior member of the team" and Trump officials have said he had no influential role with the campaign.

If Trump mentioned him by name, he must have been important enough for him...

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:24 am

Nate Cohn says Ossoff has a slight chance to win tonight; Dave Wasserman (Cook Report) tweets, "At the moment, #GA06 is headed towards a runoff in a hurry...can Ossoff stop this train now?"
. . . I mean Negative Capability, that is, when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason—Coleridge, for instance, would let go by a fine isolated verisimilitude caught from the Penetralium of mystery, from being incapable of remaining content with half-knowledge. - John Keats, 1817

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:25 am

So what was up with Trump's powerful armada? Did they lose the ships - or did they lie about what was up with them? I am opting for orchestrated lies.
Last edited by Statistical Mechanic on Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:30 am

Nearly 2/3 of blue DeKalb reporting: Ossoff 58.5% (Clinton got 57%, not good for Ossoff)
About 37% of Cobb reporting: Ossoff 47.3% (Clinton got 40%)
About 16% of Fulton is in: Ossoff 55.3% FWIW (Clinton: 46.4%)

This looks like a steep, high hill for Ossoff tonight. His overperformance so far in Cobb is positive - but the DeKalb number indicates that his getting to 50% will be very tough. Would be nice to see more from Fulton . . . Ossoff % dropping in Cobb as more votes are reported. Turnout appears to be high for special election.

Wasserman: "BREAKING: Ossoff (D) down to 53.9% w/ 99k votes counted. NRCC breathing big sigh of relief." Washerman predicting run-off between Ossoff and Handel.
Last edited by Statistical Mechanic on Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xcalibur
Frequent Poster

Postby Xcalibur » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:38 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:So what was up with Trump's powerful armada? Did they lose the ships - or did they lie about what was up with them? I am opting for orchestrated lies.

Agreed. Purposely floated.... have you heard anyone use the word "Armada" since 1588? :roll:

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:39 am

LOL

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:42 am

NY Times:

Nate Cohn: "We now have nearly 100,000 votes counted, with perhaps another 100,000 to come, and the returns are still saying basically the same thing: high turnout, Ossoff a slight underdog but not completely out of it. I’d guess he’s on track for 48 percent or so."

Jonathan Weisman: "Nate, that 58.5 percent in DeKalb County looks ominous for Ossoff. I would have thought he’d need a better number in DeKalb than Fulton. Am I wrong?"

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:43 am

Josh Marshall on Wasserman: "one of the best number crunchers in the business."

Wasserman's call? (Jeffk - take care!) "BREAKING: Ossoff (D) down to 50.8% of the vote w/ 119k votes counted. He's not even close to where he needs to be for 50% overall. #GA06"

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:49 am

Ossoff %'s:

DeKalb (100% reporting): 58.6% (1.5% ahead of Clinton!)
Cobb (96% reporting): 41.4% (ouch - only 1.5 pts ahead of Clinton)
Fulton (16% reporting): 55.3%

Nate Cohn: "Ossoff's attrition should probably slow down a bit now that so much of Cobb County is in, but still tracking toward a 48/48.5 type finish."
Dave Wasserman projects Ossoff 44-48% - "All 99 precincts remaining are in Cobb & Fulton, which should push Ossoff (D) considerably under 50%. But by how much?... #GA06."
Alex Burns: "I’m hearing from a couple Republicans that they feel like they can exhale a little bit. Not that they’re safe, but the near-death experience has receded at least somewhat."
Ossoff election day vote % about 10% (?) less than early vote

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:26 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Ossoff %'s:

DeKalb (100% reporting): 58.6% (1.5% ahead of Clinton!)
Cobb (96% reporting): 41.4% (ouch - only 1.5 pts ahead of Clinton)
Fulton (16% reporting): 55.3%

Nate Cohn: "Ossoff's attrition should probably slow down a bit now that so much of Cobb County is in, but still tracking toward a 48/48.5 type finish."
Dave Wasserman projects Ossoff 44-48% - "All 99 precincts remaining are in Cobb & Fulton, which should push Ossoff (D) considerably under 50%. But by how much?... #GA06."
Alex Burns: "I’m hearing from a couple Republicans that they feel like they can exhale a little bit. Not that they’re safe, but the near-death experience has receded at least somewhat."
Ossoff election day vote % about 10% (?) less than early vote

It's still really good for a historically dominated Republican area.
We'll see how it goes. I think the next vote is in June sometime. The Democrats need to back this guy to the hilt.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:47 am

Cobb now 100% in. Ossoff 41.3% there. Ossoff running about 1.5% ahead of Clinton in Cobb and DeKalb, which would give him about 48% or so across the 6th. Other Dems received just under 1%. So the run-off is likely to be close.

Not sure why results not coming in from Fulton (stuck at 16% reporting for about an hour?) but Trump edged Clinton there in the fall - he bested Clinton by over 5pts in election day voting. Experts are saying Ossoff needs 40% out of Fulton and is more likely to get around 45%. If Ossoff also runs 1.5% ahead of Clinton in Fulton, he gets 48% and falls short. So . . . runoff.

If Democrats can't win competitive seats like this, they won't turn the House in 2018. The GA 6th runoff is going to something.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:48 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:It's still really good for a historically dominated Republican area.

Moral victories don't count - even in Gingrich's old district. The anti-Trump sentiment proves firm and deep - but maybe not broad enough. Btw Republicans who identified as Trumpies did very poorly tonight.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:06 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:It's still really good for a historically dominated Republican area.

Moral victories don't count - even in Gingrich's old district. The anti-Trump sentiment proves firm and deep - but maybe not broad enough. Btw Republicans who identified as Trumpies did very poorly tonight.

I agree with the moral victories bit. Democrats need to get some of these empty seats, it will galvanize the Democratic base to get out and vote in 2018.
The DNC needs to push all of the empty seats, even if the chance of snagging them appear low, just to keep everyone interested.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:18 am

Drew McCoy on Fulton reporting delay:
From our onsite reporter: Fulton County is having technical difficulties. They are on the phone with tech support.

I'm not joking.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:20 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:...Not sure why results not coming in from Fulton (stuck at 16% reporting for about an hour?)

If it was Trump, he'd say the thing is being rigged.

but Trump edged Clinton there in the fall - he bested Clinton by over 5pts in election day voting...

Not in this case, tho. :-P

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:31 am

Tillerson letter to Congress tonight:
April 18, 2017

The Honorable

Paul D. Ryan

Speaker of the House of Representatives

Washington, DC 20515

Dear Mr. Speaker:

This letter certifies that the conditions of Section 135(d)(6) of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954 (AEA), as amended, including as amended by the Iran Nuclear Agreement Review Act of 2015 (Public Law 114-17), enacted May 22, 2015, are met as of April 18, 2017.

Notwithstanding, Iran remains a leading state sponsor of terror through many platforms and methods. President Donald J. Trump has directed a National Security Council-led interagency review of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) that will evaluate whether suspension of sanctions related to Iran pursuant to the JCPOA is vital to the national security interests of the United States. When the interagency review is completed, the administration looks forward to working with Congress on this issue.

Sincerely,

Rex W. Tillerson

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:41 am

Anything to get the attention off of other, compromising things?

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:44 am

Georgia . . . Decision Desk HQ:
One card out of hundreds created an error. They need to manually go through them and re-upload everything in #Fulton #GA06

WSB-TV‏
JUST IN: Rare data error from one of the cards means Fulton Co. will have to manually go through hundreds of cards to find the culprit.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:47 am

Who is "they"? And can we trust "them"? :twisted:

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:48 am

"Make America buy American again! - Does he want me to stop buying his products?'' -Jake Tapper

:lol:

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:56 am

Ossoff declares "a victory for the ages." Then adds: "no matter the outcome."

Decision Desk HQ:
THEY FOUND THE CARD WITH THE ERROR #Fulton #GA06

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:59 am

Meanwhile Fulton 72% reporting: Ossoff 48.7 in Fulton (2.3 pts ahead of Clinton). Ossoff will fall short - overall he is now at 48.6% and dropping as Fulton reports.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:20 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:So what was up with Trump's powerful armada?
We now know the armada was parked off Western Australia and nowhere near North Korea. It was propaganda.

In a funny way, that made a lot of sense if the North Koreans thought the fleet was off their coast. I imagine the North Koreans sent every surveillance aircraft they had to find the fleet and flew to maximum range and endurance.

I imagine the USA military carefully noted the methods, ranges and endurance of all the North Korean aircraft looking.
:D

In military terminology, a demonstration is an attack or show of force on a front where a decision is not sought, made with the aim of deceiving the enemy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demonstration_(military)

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:24 am

Just like the thing in Kenosha. :roll:

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:23 am

Heard several Republicans say Trump's out of touch with reality - but not even they might consider that his "reality" seems to be 'Reality TV'...

Reagan Manipulated Television. Trump Is Controlled by It.

Previous presidents, most notably Ronald Reagan, became famous for their ability to manipulate television. Television manipulates Trump.
During the campaign, Trump once claimed in complete earnestness that he would not require policy advisers because he could get his information from “the shows.” He has reportedly selected his Cabinet officials in part based on whether they “look the part” for television...

Trump does express anger at television news, at least intermittently, but his fits of loathing...are an expression of unrequited love. Even, or especially, in his angriest moments, Trump internalizes television’s judgments. He rages at unflattering news coverage...

For Trump, the Obamaian notion that his job is to manage a reality that exists on a separate plane from television is absurd. Television news is his reality. He watches it for hours on end and measures his performance entirely by the message it sends back to him...

Xcalibur
Frequent Poster

Postby Xcalibur » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:46 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Heard several Republicans say Trump's out of touch with reality - but not even they might consider that his "reality" seems to be 'Reality TV'...

Reagan Manipulated Television. Trump Is Controlled by It.

Previous presidents, most notably Ronald Reagan, became famous for their ability to manipulate television. Television manipulates Trump.
During the campaign, Trump once claimed in complete earnestness that he would not require policy advisers because he could get his information from “the shows.” He has reportedly selected his Cabinet officials in part based on whether they “look the part” for television...

Trump does express anger at television news, at least intermittently, but his fits of loathing...are an expression of unrequited love. Even, or especially, in his angriest moments, Trump internalizes television’s judgments. He rages at unflattering news coverage...

For Trump, the Obamaian notion that his job is to manage a reality that exists on a separate plane from television is absurd. Television news is his reality. He watches it for hours on end and measures his performance entirely by the message it sends back to him...

"Mirror, mirror on the wall,
Who's the orangest of us all?"

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:47 am

Ossoff: 481.%. (all Dems: 49.0%) - runoff should be very close with advantage Republicans (Handel is a non-Trump conservative, GOP will focus support behind her for the runoff)

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:56 am

Although Trump's "wire tapp" diversion has been soundly refuted, at this point across the political spectrum, it served its purpose: no one has mentioned Sessions' apparent perjury (on meetings with Russia) during his confirmation hearings since early March.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:59 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:So what was up with Trump's powerful armada?
We now know the armada was parked off Western Australia and nowhere near North Korea. It was propaganda.

In a funny way, that made a lot of sense if the North Koreans thought the fleet was off their coast. I imagine the North Koreans sent every surveillance aircraft they had to find the fleet and flew to maximum range and endurance.

I imagine the USA military carefully noted the methods, ranges and endurance of all the North Korean aircraft looking.
:D

In military terminology, a demonstration is an attack or show of force on a front where a decision is not sought, made with the aim of deceiving the enemy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demonstration_(military)

That makes sense. Probably Russia uses similar logic when their bombers poke around Alaska or wherever.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Dear [Salutation][First Name]

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:22 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Arm...nada?

As the White House was talking about sending a naval "armada" to the Korean Peninsula, the very ships in question were on their way to participate in military exercises in the Indian Ocean, some 3,500 miles in the opposite direction.

A senior administration official blamed a miscommunication between the Pentagon and the White House over reports that the aircraft carrier has not made its way to the Sea of Japan, also known as the East Sea, as an expected show of force to North Korea...

That's probably what those Russian planes came for to inform him of... :lol:

Arm-Nada! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just what we need: Send a psychopathic dictator to the brink of war without even having any weapons around to fight him.

And the peerless Garry Trudeau weighs in through the Twitter account of his agent Roland Hedley:

Roland Hedley wrote:News that U.S. could locate missing carrier and redeploy to North Korea within a week has to rattle boy tyrant. No one knew WH this nimble.
Last edited by Upton_O_Goode on Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Reserve a part of your wrath ; you have not seen the worst yet. You suppose that this war has been a criminal blunder and an exceptional horror ; you imagine that before long reason will prevail, and all these inferior people that govern the world will be swept aside, and your own party will reform everything and remain always in office. You are mistaken."

George Santayana, "Tipperary" (1918)

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:24 am

. . . 90 days and counting . . .

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:25 am

Ossoff's opponent is not strong: Karen Handel

Ossoff is extremely well funded.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:37 am

Xcalibur wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:Employment by Dollar General: 105,000
Total layoffs in general merchandise retail sector since October: 89,000
Employmentt in Arby’s in US: approx 80,000
Total employment in US coal industry: 76,572

(sources: WaPo 31 Mar 2017, NYT 15 April 2017)

I guess retail isn't muscular enough to get Trump's attention . . .

Bricks & mortar retail been in the {!#%@} for a while with, what, 3 major bankruptcy filings and apparently Urban Outfitters next to go. But point taken: not a peep from God himself.

nice graph on this in AXIOS

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:46 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Tillerson letter to Congress tonight:
April 18, 2017

The Honorable

Paul D. Ryan

Speaker of the House of Representatives

Washington, DC 20515

Dear Mr. Speaker:

This letter certifies that the conditions of Section 135(d)(6) of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954 (AEA), as amended, including as amended by the Iran Nuclear Agreement Review Act of 2015 (Public Law 114-17), enacted May 22, 2015, are met as of April 18, 2017.

Notwithstanding, Iran remains a leading state sponsor of terror through many platforms and methods. President Donald J. Trump has directed a National Security Council-led interagency review of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) that will evaluate whether suspension of sanctions related to Iran pursuant to the JCPOA is vital to the national security interests of the United States. When the interagency review is completed, the administration looks forward to working with Congress on this issue.

Sincerely,

Rex W. Tillerson

If I understand this, Trump needs an investigation to determine whether abiding by a treaty the US has signed is in our national interest. If that's what's happening, it opens some very broad possibilities. Sign the treaty now; we'll decide later whether to abide by it or not.
"Reserve a part of your wrath ; you have not seen the worst yet. You suppose that this war has been a criminal blunder and an exceptional horror ; you imagine that before long reason will prevail, and all these inferior people that govern the world will be swept aside, and your own party will reform everything and remain always in office. You are mistaken."

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:04 pm

Tillerson's letter seems to put Congress on notice that we may withdraw from the agreement despite Iran's adherence to it and on grounds other than those related to the treaty. Or not. Leaves options open.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:09 pm

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:33 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:AP story on perceptions of US in Asia: "Unpredictable. Unhinged. Dangerous - Asian Countries Look Warily At Trump"

So the Asians see what most of us here have seen long ago. I'm glad we're all on the same page.

Return to “Holocaust Denial”