It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:54 am

If he did, he saved his wrath for later. Frumpy Dumpy can't see his own feet and is terrified of those steps.

Lard, save me from your followers.

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Unlimited_Oracular_Guidance

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:22 am

TJrandom wrote:The Milk river (I am not making this up), is just perfect for this looming dairy trade war between the US and Canada – since it starts in the US, flows into Canada, and then again back into the US. I propose that the US dump milk near the headwaters and that Canada returns the favor by topping it up as it re-enters the US. Problem solved, farmers happy – and nobody will care about the balance of dairy trade. Plus it will all be filtered out before it reaches St. Louis.

Genius!! :lol: :lol:
"My firm belief that Dwight Eisenhower is a dedicated conscious agent of the Communist conspiracy is based on an accumulation of detailed evidence so extensive and so palpable that it seems to me to put this conviction beyond any reasonable doubt."

Robert Welch (1899—1985), founder of the John Birch Society (1958), on July 11, 1960

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:31 am

Gord wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Gord.... really? I don't like Regan much, but my dregs of memory is that he did not want another war. He defeated the USSR by ECONOMIC PRESSURE....not war. Could be a fine line or two in there....but "Star Wars" is all about defense....with the acknowledgement that with a complete Defense, we could offer first strikes.....but still, on its face, not a WarHawk position.

............but I didn't follow politics back then. Not now either..... just pop media.

Reagan kept pushing and pushing and pushing. His rhetoric against the USSR sounded very warlike, maybe not to Americans, but to others. The "Star Wars defense" was another provocation, implying the the US would be able to attack the USSR at will without fear of reprisal.

I think you are both right. According to Daniel Ellsberg's new book, the US has always held the threat of a nuclear first strike as one of its primary tactics for getting its way with adversaries. But Reagan and Thatcher realized (correctly) that the Soviet economy couldn't keep up with new weaponry. When I lived in Moscow in 1988--89, not only computers, but even ordinary cash registers and electric typewriters were essentially unknown. When I went shopping, the people who "rang up" the sales used an abacus! The USSR had no alternatives at that point; it collapsed in the face of economic failure and ethnic unrest, despite having enough police power that the regime could have maintained itself, if it had had the will. But collectively it didn't have the will, and Gorbachev's genuine desire for reform opened the way for opportunists like Yeltsin to split the Communist Party.

Russia is hardly better off today, relative to the West. It's basically Zimbabwe with nuclear weapons. But the awful experience of the 1990s and the first decade of the 21st century still lingers. Putin won't be troubled by a split in his coterie of thugs and kleptocrats. No matter how bad things get, he's ruthless enough to hold onto power. The Russians would (rationally, I think) prefer his autocracy to the anarchy they experienced for two decades. We're stuck with a mismanaged "victory" in the Cold War.

Meanwhile, Trump is busy whipping up another Cold War, this time with Canada and Europe.
"My firm belief that Dwight Eisenhower is a dedicated conscious agent of the Communist conspiracy is based on an accumulation of detailed evidence so extensive and so palpable that it seems to me to put this conviction beyond any reasonable doubt."

Robert Welch (1899—1985), founder of the John Birch Society (1958), on July 11, 1960

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:01 pm

Soon, they'll be screaming for a northern wall...

After all, Iwanka was made fun of for "having the hots for Justin". And "Never forget the Samantha B.!".

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:42 pm

And not to forget this Canadian lefty.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:28 am

scrmbldggs wrote:And not to forget this Canadian lefty.

Ummm, da fuq is this bit?

...Whatever you think of Canada’s milk protectionism (and few Canadians who don’t directly profit from it will defend it)....

The majority of Canadians who don't directly profit from it support it: https://www.ipsos.com/en-ca/news-polls/ ... airy-nafta
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:42 am

Gord wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:And not to forget this Canadian lefty.

Ummm, da fuq is this bit?

...Whatever you think of Canada’s milk protectionism (and few Canadians who don’t directly profit from it will defend it)....

The majority of Canadians who don't directly profit from it support it: https://www.ipsos.com/en-ca/news-polls/ ... airy-nafta

People love cows - and not just in the Texas sense... :mrgreen:

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:07 am

I only caught a portion of Trump`s post-summit news conference, and then a bit of CNN`s analysis which was dismissive and pointed out concessions given for nothing concrete obtained. This may be a bit harsh – so I will be watching for month-by-month accomplishments. Within July, let’s see these checked off…

Return of Japanese abductees or their remains
Return of the Pueblo
IAEA inspection of NK nuclear sites and accounting of their weapons – report in August
Transfer to Malaysia for trial of the murderers of Kim Jong-nam
Start the return of US war dead remains
Start the pullback of artillery overlooking the DMZ

Then in August, let’s see those nuclear weapons turned over to China to be deactivated and a public destruction of those missiles. Sanctions can then come off in September.

Oh – and what has Trump given up to earn this show of good faith by Kim? Well, he postponed additional sanctions and he put US-SK military readiness at risk by cancelling joint exercises. And this is just what we know of… And not to mention giving Kim an equal footing and recognition as a world-class dictator.

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:13 am

TJrandom wrote:I only caught a portion of Trump`s post-summit news conference, and then a bit of CNN`s analysis which was dismissive and pointed out concessions given for nothing concrete obtained. This may be a bit harsh – so I will be watching for month-by-month accomplishments. Within July, let’s see these checked off…

Return of the Pueblo
IAEA inspection of NK nuclear sites and accounting of their weapons – report in August

Then in August, let’s see those nuclear weapons turned over to China to be deactivated and a public destruction of those missiles. Sanctions can then come off in September.

Oh – and what has Trump given up to earn this show of good faith by Kim? Well, he postponed additional sanctions and he put US-SK military readiness at risk by cancelling joint exercises. And this is just what we know of… And not to mention giving Kim an equal footing and recognition as a world-class dictator.

Right you are!!!

If Obama had done this, Trump and the GOP would be denouncing it as all show and no substance. There's not even a treaty for the Senate to ratify. (It would have refused to ratify anything Obama negotiated, but it will happily give the store away if Trump wants it.)

We've all heard a lot of comparisons of Trump to Hitler and Stalin. Here's one I hadn't thought of. Irascible and irrational though he was, "Willie" did at least read a few things and write comments. (But then, he couldn't tweet; if he could have, he would have.)

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:30 pm

Here is the full text of the letter/agreement. Short on details, and long on objectives. No fault on that point - but it does not document concessions or other agreements made, or spoken of in Trump`s news conference - such as cessation of joint US-SK troop readiness training, shutdown of the NK missile engine test site, or postponement of additional sanctions.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:22 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
TJrandom wrote:I only caught a portion of Trump`s post-summit news conference, and then a bit of CNN`s analysis which was dismissive and pointed out concessions given for nothing concrete obtained. This may be a bit harsh – so I will be watching for month-by-month accomplishments. Within July, let’s see these checked off…

Return of the Pueblo

Right you are!!!

If Obama had done this, Trump and the GOP would be denouncing it as all show and no substance. There's not even a treaty for the Senate to ratify. (It would have refused to ratify anything Obama negotiated, but it will happily give the store away if Trump wants it.)

We've all heard a lot of comparisons of Trump to Hitler and Stalin. Here's one I hadn't thought of. Irascible and irrational though he was, "Willie" did at least read a few things and write comments. (But then, he couldn't tweet; if he could have, he would have.)

If Drumpf would ever admit to his German roots, he'd proudly claim he sprouted from that^. If he knew it ever existed.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:50 pm

Good lard...

“Distractions, whether they are little games...[of golf]...—are everything to him,”... “He reads very little apart from newspaper cuttings, hardly writes anything himself apart from marginalia on reports and considers those talks best which are quickly over and done with.” The Kaiser’s entourage compiled press cuttings for him, mostly about himself...

Just like his staff was reported doing. And his favorite bit to write is his practiced signature signature. (Fake)

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:33 pm

Scientifically - I have been watching and reading a lot on that - it takes a long time...scientifically, it takes a long time and lots of things happen, scientifically...but despite that, once you start it, it's over. Scientifically.

--The Scientist-in-chief on denuclearization.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:00 pm

...then we'll see what develops. A nice resort with condos and a golf course, of course...

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:20 pm

‘I have not left anybody in the dark about the fact that this time, millions of adult men would not die, and hundreds of thousands of women and children would not be burnt or bombed to death in the cities, without the actual culprit, albeit by more humane means, having to pay for his guilt.’
Adolf Hitler
Final Will and Testament

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:28 pm

:hmm: Is that why he detains foreigners? For them to play with?

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:33 pm

scrmbldggs wrote::hmm: Is that why he detains foreigners? For them to play with?

He’s trying to prevent obesity amongst his people by not feeding them.
‘I have not left anybody in the dark about the fact that this time, millions of adult men would not die, and hundreds of thousands of women and children would not be burnt or bombed to death in the cities, without the actual culprit, albeit by more humane means, having to pay for his guilt.’
Adolf Hitler
Final Will and Testament

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:36 pm

Adolf Hitler
Final Will and Testament

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:05 pm

On human rights, I hear "it's rough over there". But "it's rough in other places, too"...

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:13 pm

I don`t think I would want to be in the pacific military these days - where mission critical training is curtailed. That goes for US, SK, and even Japan`s military. NK and China`s militaries should be doing cartwheels. With normal staff rotations, units will lose capability quickly.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:26 pm

Luckily we're dealing with a dealer who won't stick to anything. Things might change in a heartbeat.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:21 pm

NK should turn their nukes over to Canada for 'defusing'. The way Trump is yapping lately, we're gonna need 'em.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:16 pm

Nah, just keep applying that special mojo you've got. It worked on Kudlow. :-P

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:19 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:NK should turn their nukes over to Canada for 'defusing'. The way Trump is yapping lately, we're gonna need 'em.

Canada and Europe should be organizing MASSIVE boycotts of American goods. That would have popular appeal everywhere, and wouldn't be at all difficult to enforce. And it would hurt. Trump's friends in Russia and NK don't have any money to buy goods and take up the slack.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:02 pm

He should stop the gushing and falling all over himself in intense infatuation. It's not helping Kim's fierce conquerer image.

(And yes, Kim might have said that no other president could have done what Dumpy did. And he would be very right about that...)

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:38 am

One should remember that the force readiness joint training is aimed at stopping a NK conventional force - not a nuclear attack. The US troops stationed in SK are only a front line deterrent. I wonder if Trump knows this, or cares.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:01 am

See, that's why he wants to pump so much tax payer money into the military. So they don't have to practice and move around so much anymore. Also, NK would be so much nicer as a money-making tourist destination. If his suddenly disappeared architect could be found, he would draw up some beautiful plans for a Trump resort. No way Kim could resist. (He'll just have to put up a nice wall to keep the foreign guests away from his own overfilled "vacation spots".)

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:05 am

"I won't admit to a mistake....probably make an excuse." //// The truth always comes out. Jet lag, hubris. Not that it wasn't obvious to start with...........

Crawling up Kim's ass like that........still strikes me as weird revealing the complete insularity of Trump..........Not that it wasn't obvious to start with.........

I would not be surprised if he one day does shoot someone on Fifth Avenue.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:50 am

Must be those many friendly phone calls with his other love...

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:03 am

scrmbldggs wrote:See, that's why he wants to pump so much tax payer money into the military. So they don't have to practice and move around so much anymore. Also, NK would be so much nicer as a money-making tourist destination. If his suddenly disappeared architect could be found, he would draw up some beautiful plans for a Trump resort. No way Kim could resist. (He'll just have to put up a nice wall to keep the foreign guests away from his own overfilled "vacation spots".)

Just a few points:

1. Trump's alleged rationale for stopping the joint exercises with SK (to save money on the military) reminds me of a person who consumes a 3000-calorie meal, then loudly announces that he is going to use artificial sweetener in his coffee because he's watching his weight.

2. He and Kim were both very eager to give each other credit for initiating the summit. On the surface, that sounds very cordial. In reality, it's that each of them wants to be able to boast in private that they forced the other one to beg for the summit.

3. If Trump had been at the American Constitutional Convention back in the 1780s, he would have (1) taken credit for writing the whole document himself and (2) declared it to be a finished work of genius after the one-sentence preamble was written.

4. North Korea's greatest need at present is golf courses. Everyone has known that for a long time.

5. China and Russia are probably gearing up to junk the sanctions. Trump has now fired used up all his leverage. Whether KJU actually will give up his nuclear weapons is still not known, but if he doesn't, it will be back to the status quo ante. And the US will be notably short of allies. The only places Trump will dare show his face are countries run by odious, bloodthirsty dictators.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:40 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:...The only places Trump will dare show his face are countries run by odious, bloodthirsty dictators.

...Like the US. ;)
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:53 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Just a few points:

1. Trump's alleged rationale for stopping the joint exercises with SK (to save money on the military) reminds me of a person who consumes a 3000-calorie meal, then loudly announces that he is going to use artificial sweetener in his coffee because he's watching his weight.

Reminds me when I worked for Pizza Hut back when I started college. The manager I worked for was a rather large man (Stat Mech’s current avatar reminds me of him). We used to make pizza for lunch, we always made a large. This manager used to eat pizza two slices at a time with one slice on top of each other like a sandwich. With this enormous meal he used to drink Diet Pepsi.
I guess he wanted to save that one calorie.....

2. He and Kim were both very eager to give each other credit for initiating the summit. On the surface, that sounds very cordial. In reality, it's that each of them wants to be able to boast in private that they forced the other one to beg for the summit.

Oh, yes. Kim essentially gave up nothing for a photo op.

Trump will dare show his face are countries run by odious, bloodthirsty dictators.

That’s OK by him, he feels most comfortable in their presence.
Adolf Hitler
Final Will and Testament

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:46 pm

Adolf Hitler
Final Will and Testament

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:53 pm

Adolf Hitler
Final Will and Testament

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:03 pm

:hmm: And while McTurtle is gushing over the craved domestic achievements no other Reptilian but Dumpy could have brought about, the threesome (that already was) is on. Lavrov on the NK love affair and talk(s): "...it is clear that these issues cannot be fully resolved only at bilateral level."

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:15 pm

scrmbldggs wrote::hmm: And while McTurtle is gushing over the craved domestic achievements no other Reptilian but Dumpy could have brought about, the threesome (that already was) is on. Lavrov on the NK love affair and talk(s): "...it is clear that these issues cannot be fully resolved only at bilateral level."

Hmm, Russia has some leverage on NK, but not as much as China. On the other hand, Trump is Putin's bitch, so if Russia wants to play a hand in this game of honeymoon bridge, Trump won't have any choice about that.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:20 pm

IIRC, the last parade showing off Kim's might was peopled to a large(?) degree by Russian equipment...

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:56 pm

Adolf Hitler
Final Will and Testament

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:01 pm

Ingraham saying Pruitt needs to go? Not sure who's gonna get fired first here...

And are Reptilians simply going full steam after quietly fulfilling their twisted desires before the midterms? In the hopes that with them sanity will return on behest of the voters and does what they don't dare to do - getting the cult leader outta there? (Seems that off-camera and behind closed doors, they curse him mightily.)

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:26 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Ingraham saying Pruitt needs to go? Not sure who's gonna get fired first here...
That is a close call. Laura is a TV PUNDIT after all.........but she is a woman. hard to guess what stink will be preferred. I assume Pruitt would go first.....Trump being a TV personality way before a business man....and Trump probably (I assume?) not getting much personally out of Pruitts fraud and destruction.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Return to “Politics and Government”