It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Holocaust denial and related subjects.
Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Hywel Rudy Day

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:26 am

scrmbldggs wrote:@ Gord

As hilarious as Ingraham saying something like "taking care of people in need (I think) was doable in '95", because back then "we had money". :laff:

And not even stopping to think WHO was President then and WHO had recently enacted a tax increase on the wealthy.
"If you vary the rules of the game a little at a time, you can turn croquet into football."

-- Pyotr Evgen'evich Dyubyuk (1902--1980), Soviet mathematician.

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:30 am

This morning, I received a picture of a want ad, seeking people with experience in the White House, but specifically saying that those from the Trump White House would not be considered. Snopes doesn't have anything on this yet, so I couldn't verify its authenticity, and it came with no source indicated. I guess I'll try to google it. If it's authentic, it's a devastating comment on the Toxicity of Trump.

Google doesn't have it either. However, last month there was this story on Rachel Maddow's blog, written by a guy with the intriguing name of "Steve Benen." Sounds an awful lot like a former White House employee to me.
"If you vary the rules of the game a little at a time, you can turn croquet into football."

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:38 am

Balmoral95 wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:My wife has insisted we watch.

I was going to attempt an escape by walking the dog but it's 36*, howling wind with driven rain here so I'm trapped... :lol:

The weather is rotten everywhere. Here in northern Vermont, we've had first half an inch of ice, then half an inch of snow, then another half-inch of ice. Looks like more ice fell last night. However, the temperature is now 34 and going up to 40 today, with a lot of rain expected. Maybe that will help get rid of the ice. Suits my mood, these days.

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:40 am

Putin has now been shown up very clearly for the paper tiger that he is. He's reduced to PREDICTING chaos of uncertain origin if the US keeps on hitting Syria. "Knock that chip off my shoulder! I dare you!" "Now knock that chip off my other shoulder! You wouldn't dare!" "If you keep knocking chips off my shoulder, you're going to make me mad!" "I'm warning you....." And on, and on.

But it's not a good idea to drive a rat into a corner. Putin himself has written about how dangerous it is, but people don't seem to understand the symbolism of it.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Postby ElectricMonk » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:13 pm

Putin doesn't need a big conflict with the West right now - he just won an election and his reign seems secure for now.
Trump doesn't have the guile for a campaign of regime change, and the Middle East is a sufficient mess with or without Assad in power.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:49 pm

the paper tiger has propped up Assad and can continue to do so if it so desires. So, the key is: WHY has Putin decided to prop up Assad, and why does he continue to challenge the USA, and why did he not follow thru on his warning?

1. Standard analysis: to have access to sea ports on the Mediterrean. also: access to oil and other assets (sand?) that is in Syria which gives him influence with Turkey and the ability to play with the Nato alliance. actually: a good play.

2. Lack of guile I would agree. He "should be" playing the USA off of Assad. Maybe he already has the most he can get?

3. I think like Trump.....things have gone Putin's way for a long time including the bluff and bluster. I think it is a first failure on his part. He could have played it smarter....eg: condemn Assad for use of gas, or provide proof/access that shows someone else did it...... then continue on as before just as the Politicians always do.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:52 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Balmoral95 wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:My wife has insisted we watch.

I was going to attempt an escape by walking the dog but it's 36*, howling wind with driven rain here so I'm trapped... :lol:

The weather is rotten everywhere. Here in northern Vermont, we've had first half an inch of ice, then half an inch of snow, then another half-inch of ice. Looks like more ice fell last night. However, the temperature is now 34 and going up to 40 today, with a lot of rain expected. Maybe that will help get rid of the ice. Suits my mood, these days.

I think it would be nice to get up in the morning without freezing my ass off anymore.
Don’t make me come down there!!!!
-God

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:59 pm

I wore shorts and a teeshirt outside for the first time this year on the West Coast.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:20 pm

Balmoral95 wrote:I found him over-thinking, and seriously too worried about his own importance.

Yes. He made bad judgment calls which he wraps in overwrought moralizing, with the intent of putting himself into a good light - as the last honest man. My wife basically dismissed his performance as an act: no person heading the FBI could be such a wuss, that's her reasoning. She said she's not falling for his "ruse."

I do not think he's helping himself much - he may be beyond help in the sense that the key decisions he made in '16 are not ones he can now explain to his advantage. OTOH I doubt that the "blowback" will help Trump. Trump comes off, in Comey's description, as everyone knows him, already. That much rings true.

The White House seems to judge this differently: their campaign against Comey and his book seem to indicate defensiveness and fear and a conviction that they need to try to turn a bad thing into a positive for them.

I did note - on a different topic - that the WaPo poll of likely midterm voters has the Democrats' advantage down to +4.

And Chicago weather report: woke up to a light covering of snow, not quite an inch, with more coming down. It was 73F four days ago.
You know, my dear Colonel General, I don't really believe that the Russians will attack at all. It's all an enormous bluff. - Heinrich Himmler to Heinz Guderian, December 1944

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:25 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Balmoral95 wrote:I found him over-thinking, and seriously too worried about his own importance.

Yes. He made bad judgment calls which he wraps in overwrought moralizing, with the intent of putting himself into a good light - as the last honest man. My wife basically dismissed his performance as an act: no person heading the FBI could be such a wuss, that's her reasoning. She said she's not falling for his "ruse."

I do not think he's helping himself much - he may be beyond help in the sense that the key decisions he made in '16 are not ones he can now explain to his advantage. OTOH I doubt that the "blowback" will help Trump. Trump comes off, in Comey's description, as everyone knows him, already. That much rings true.

I did note - on a different topic - that the WaPo poll of likely midterm voters has the Democrats' advantage down to +4.

And Chicago weather report: woke up to a light covering of snow, not quite an inch, with more coming down. It was 73F four days ago.

Oh, Lordy.

There is a huge wuss factor in the FBI. Its part of their selection criteria....aka: why with perfect written score, I was not hired.

But: the game has moved on. Its no longer about the FBI but about selling books.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:30 pm

The Grauniad is reporting that independent inspectors from the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons have been denied access to the site in Douma where chemical weapons usage has been reported. Russia confirms this, saying the UN paperwork is not in order.
You know, my dear Colonel General, I don't really believe that the Russians will attack at all. It's all an enormous bluff. - Heinrich Himmler to Heinz Guderian, December 1944

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:32 pm

So....Assad...(or was it Putin?) did do it?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:37 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:48 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Jonathan Chait on #nevertrumpers: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... crats.html

I read the first 25% or so. Seems to miss the very point he makes: the Party Base supports the Party Political Positions. the personality of Trump is accepted as the cost to get the end goals.

pretty simple.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:11 pm

This VOX piece - detailing why in the view of Stephen Vladeck the air strikes on Syria were illegal - is odd to me in that it doesn't mention the War Powers Act. I asked earlier, and still wonder, what is the legal permission for the strikes. I lean toward understanding the War Powers Act to permit such actions but don't know for sure. It has always seemed to me that with that act, Congress ceded a great deal of authority granted to Congress in the Constitution to the the president. I wish Illing has asked Vladeck about the War Powers Act. I understand that under international law the strikes are illegal.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:17 pm

Why the concern about legality? It is not controlling, determinative, enforceable, sensical, or influential. Always irrelevant.

.........just an exercise?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:26 pm

The argument which the Trump-Cohen team is making in court regarding the materials seized from Cohen's premises relies in part on Trump's tweets and Nunes' campaign accusing the DOJ of biased tactics in a witch hunt against Trump: "toxic partisan politics of the day and attacks on the impartiality of the Justice Department" by bad actors, they claim, necessitate an independent review of the seized materials.

Additionally, Cohen's list of clients requested by the judge totals seven business and three legal clients, one of whom is Elliott Broidy, Trump fundraiser and, until Friday when he got into the news for paying hush money to a former Playboy model he'd impregnated, RNC finance official.

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:29 pm

Cynicism that matches my own in the "War on Terror." And from a very unlikely source! (They will ask you politely to let them past your ad blocker. I didn't do that. I LIKE my ad blocker.)

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:42 pm

The international chemical weapons inspection team sent to Syria - one might wonder why the punitive action took place before an inspection was carried out - remains blocked. The UN disputes Russia's explanation for barring entry of these inspectors into Douma: according to UN spokesperson, Stéphane Dujarric - “The U.N. has given them all the necessary clearances. We’re supporting the team as much as we can.”

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:45 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:The international chemical weapons inspection team sent to Syria - one might wonder why the punitive action took place before an inspection was carried out - remains blocked. The UN disputes Russia's explanation for barring entry of chemical weapons inspectors into Douma: according to UN spokesperson, Stéphane Dujarric - “The U.N. has given them all the necessary clearances. We’re supporting the team as much as we can.”

I don't think there was any doubt that Assad's regime was as guilty as the dog in the icebox, and Russia has now painted itself into a corner that it will not be able to get out of. Double humiliation for Putin, and he's reduced to stammering out incoherent threats. He's making himself look weak to Trump, and that's a great danger. If Trump gets the upper hand with him, the whole world is screwed.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:54 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:The international chemical weapons inspection team sent to Syria - one might wonder why the punitive action took place before an inspection was carried out - remains blocked. The UN disputes Russia's explanation for barring entry of chemical weapons inspectors into Douma: according to UN spokesperson, Stéphane Dujarric - “The U.N. has given them all the necessary clearances. We’re supporting the team as much as we can.”

I don't think there was any doubt that Assad's regime was as guilty as the dog in the icebox, and Russia has now painted itself into a corner that it will not be able to get out of. Double humiliation for Putin, and he's reduced to stammering out incoherent threats. He's making himself look weak to Trump, and that's a great danger. If Trump gets the upper hand with him, the whole world is screwed.

You don't think the chemical attack on civilians, which resulted in clearing the region of insurgents, was a British false flag? Geez Louise . . .

Despite what you say, the cornered dog has engineered an apparent victory in Syria - and an increase in Iranian and Russian influence in the region.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:25 pm

To clarify, Cohen's three legal clients are Trump, Elliot Broidy (hush money-RNC guy), and a third person who wishes to remain nameless, according to Cohen's lawyers, because association with Cohen would be “most certainly be embarrassing.”

At 2pm Eastern, the judge will rule on the Cohen-Trump motion to have an independent party take control of the seized materials; it is expected that Cohen will bother showing up today - also Michael Avenatti and Stormy Daniels.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:49 pm

The religious crowd is gonna love finding more things to forgive their Prince of Pees. :soppy:

Lard, save me from your followers.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:24 pm

. . . just some more of that big business know-how:

overnight news: "Trump to Impose New Sanctions on Russia Over Support for Syria"

just now: "Trump puts the brakes on new Russian sanctions, reversing Haley’s announcement":
Haley said on CBS News’ “Face the Nation” that sanctions on Russian companies behind the equipment related to Assad’s alleged chemical weapons attack would be announced Monday by Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin.

But as officials in Moscow condemned the planned sanctions as overly punitive, Trump conferred with his national security advisers later Sunday and told them he was upset the sanctions were being officially rolled out because he was not yet comfortable executing them, according to several people familiar with the plan. . . .

Sometime after Haley’s comments on CBS, the Trump administration notified the Russian Embassy in Washington that the sanctions were not in fact coming, a Russian Foreign Ministry official said Monday.

The Trump team decided to publicly characterize Haley’s announcement as a misstatement. . . .

Asked Monday morning why it had taken 24 hours for the administration to walk back Haley’s comments, one White House official said only that there had been confusion internally about what the plan was.

To quote from a piece in WaPo this morning, "The carefully circumscribed strike ordered by President Trump last week will do nothing to change the reality that he, like Barack Obama before him, has left a power vacuum in the heart of the Middle East. The beneficiaries are Russia, Iran, Hezbollah, Turkey and a host of jihadists who will haunt the region — and the West — long after the end of the Islamic State."

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:34 pm

What and who is that wuss not afraid of...

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:48 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:What and who is that wuss not afraid of...

Well, Russia complained, and, er, Hillary Clinton, crimes, bad person, lock her up . . .

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:58 pm

Michael Cohen's mystery client (see above on this topic):

Spoiler:
Sean Hannity

Who was Potato Head paying off?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster

Postby ElectricMonk » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:13 pm

Ninja'd

Looks like Cohen has/had a total of 3 or 4 clients, including Trump and

****** DRUM-ROLL *******

SEAN HANNITY !

https://www.vox.com/2018/4/16/17244100/ ... ery-client

the the obvious question is: in the upcoming divorce, who gets custody for Cohen?
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:15 pm

just three, for his legal practice: Trump, Broidy (the $1.6 million dollar man), and Potato Head Hannity LOL

Hannity has told WSJ that he and Cohen happen to be friends and . . . LOL

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:19 pm

Judge Kimba Wood, to Cohen's attorneys: "It’s not that you’re not good people. It’s that you’ve miscited the law, at times."
Last edited by Statistical Mechanic on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster

Postby ElectricMonk » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:23 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Judge Kimba Wood, to Cohen's attorneys: "It’s not that you’re not good people. It’s that you’ve miscited the law, at times."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPtbyOOdMcQ

" If caught, you say what every white cheater says: 'I misinterpreted the rules'. "
Spoiler:
- Douglas Adams

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:28 pm

Chris Megerian tweet:
So Sean Hannity has been using his perch at Fox News to rail against the investigation into someone who he didn't disclose was his own lawyer.
Sean Hannity
Verified account

@seanhannity
Up next on #Hannity @michellemalkin & @SebGorka join me to discuss how the media’s anti-Trump agenda has hit a new low since the Michael Cohen raid

Lizz Winstead tweet:
From now on I will only refer to Sean Hannity as "Client Number Three"

Apparently Sean's afternoon radio show is a bit of a mess: it has consisted of music, then some clips of Comey interview, then Sean saying he'd be back, then more clips of Comey interview . . . :mrgreen:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:56 pm

Hannity's camp scrambles:

CNN: "Michael Cohen did not bill Fox News host Sean Hannity, according to a source familiar with the legal relationship. There was no formal attorney-client relationship, the source said. Hannity called from time to time and got input from Cohen on legal issues, this person said."

WSJ's Rebecca Ballhaus: "Sean Hannity’s response to being named Michael Cohen’s third client: 'We have been friends a long time. I have sought legal advice from Michael.'"

Gloria Borger: "A source familiar with Sean Hannity’s legal relationship with Michael Cohen said Cohen 'has never represented Sean Hannity in any matter involving a third party. Hannity has occasionally asked Mr. Cohen questions concerning the law that Mr. Cohen indicated would be privileged.'"

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:02 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:...
Apparently Sean's afternoon radio show is a bit of a mess: it has consisted of music, then some clips of Comey interview, then Sean saying he'd be back, then more clips of Comey interview . . . :mrgreen:

He's probably at a rally. :-P

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:06 pm

Potato Head tweets: "Michael Cohen has never represented me in any matter. I never retained him, received an invoice, or paid legal fees. I have occasionally had brief discussions with him about legal questions about which I wanted his input and perspective."

And yet they are eager enough to have these random, informal, unpaid questions covered by attorney-client privilege . . . for some reason.

The whole "Michael and I have been buds" schtick suffers from who Cohen is: purchaser of Trump properties, taxi medallion / cash business guy moving Russian and Ukrainian cash around, Trump organization attorney for a number of years, then Trump's consigliere for special tasks . . . how did Michael the Fixer and Sean the TV Personality happen to become friends?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:17 pm

Considering what is known about who Cohen is and what he does, Douchean's genius rivals that of the stapled one.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:22 pm

LOL one of Hannity's flaks said of Sean, "He has no dog in this fight." Sean himself said on his radio program, when he finally gathered his wits, "What else can you say except that, 'I never gave him a retainer, never received an invoice, never paid any fees. I might have handed him 10 bucks. 'I definitely want attorney-client privilege on this.' Something like that."

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:26 pm

Judge Wood seems to be partially caving to Trump, in the interest of "perception of fairness." She's denied the request for a temporary restraining order but not so far the request for a preliminary injunction (enjoining the prosecution from utilizing a filter or taint team to review/sort evidence, as I understand last night's filing).

Wood has said, "I have faith in the Southern District U.S. Attorney's Office. . . . Their integrity is unimpeachable, and so I think a taint team is a viable option."

But she is now thinking about establishing a "special master" in a limited role and has asked attorneys how to square such a limited role with moving quickly through the seized evidence. Though asking the parties for their ideas for a special master, Judge Wood makes clear that she has not decided in favor of appointing one.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:46 pm

Functionally.....I don't see any difference between a Master and a taint team. Same function? Perhaps the Master is from outside the FBI? That would make a difference.

I really do LOVE THE IDEA of totally demolishing the idea that Cohen is an attorney at all. So much BS about attorney client privilege: an all the other privileges as well. What are they "really" protecting?

..........its all just BS.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:51 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Gord wrote:Trumps ratings are lower than anybody's . . .

Lowest approval ratings:

Trump 33
Obama 38
W 25
Clinton 37
GHW 29
Reagan 35
Carter 28
Ford 36
Nixon 24
LBJ 34
JFK 56
Ike 47
Truman 22
FDR 48

So far. They went for a lot longer than he has, yet. Give him time!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “Holocaust Denial”