Elie Wiesel

Holocaust denial and related subjects.
Jeffk 1970
Perpetual Poster

Elie Wiesel

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:20 pm

Elie Wiesel passed away, today.
It's sad that we are losing survivors at an ever increasing pace.

I've never read any of his books, I'm not big on memoirs. However, all of those survivors are and were a precious resource.

RIP, Mr. Wiesel.

ryu
Poster

Re: Elie Wiesel

Postby ryu » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:32 pm

One thing I never understood was the whole tattoo thing...
http://www.dailystormer.com/wp-content/ ... 18x416.jpg
Let's face it...it's a mystery. I mean I know tattoos fade over time...

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:37 pm

Eric Hunt gets a nice little write-up here:
His advocacy against genocide left him vulnerable to criticism from extremists and once to physical assault. In 2007, he was attacked in a San Francisco hotel elevator by a Holocaust denier named Eric Hunt, who had followed Wiesel across the country. Wiesel was not injured.
"World peace is certainly an ideal worth striving for; in Hitler's opinion it will be realizable only when one power, the racially best one, has attained complete and uncontested supremacy. That can then provide a sort of world police, seeing to it at the same time that the most valuable race is guaranteed the necessary living space. And if no other way is open to them, the lower races will have to restrict themselves accordingly."

- Rudolf Hess, letter, 1927

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeff_36 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:46 pm

Despite his exaggerations of personal events, he remains inspirational in that he survived Auschwitz III-Monowitz and the death marches and lived to insure that such a genocide would never happen again.

R.I.P.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:50 pm

Jeff_36 wrote:. . . his exaggerations of personal events . . .

Like Jeffk, I've never read anything by him other than some op-ed type things.
"World peace is certainly an ideal worth striving for; in Hitler's opinion it will be realizable only when one power, the racially best one, has attained complete and uncontested supremacy. That can then provide a sort of world police, seeing to it at the same time that the most valuable race is guaranteed the necessary living space. And if no other way is open to them, the lower races will have to restrict themselves accordingly."

ryu
Poster

Postby ryu » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:51 pm

http://bbs.dailystormer.com/uploads/def ... c42617.png
Did he really say this or is it made up?

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:57 pm

ryu wrote:http://bbs.dailystormer.com/uploads/default/original/3X/5/1/510cbd980d85e62a22acb41197f9aaac87c42617.png

according to Google search: Elie Wiesel, Legends of Our Time (1968)

By the way, a notice at Daily Stormer by Andrew Anglin is headlined, "YES! Elie Wiesel is Finally Dead!" The Daily Mail notice also mentions Eric Hunt ("thought to be a Holocaust denier").

Jeffk 1970
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:16 pm

ryu wrote:http://bbs.dailystormer.com/uploads/default/original/3X/5/1/510cbd980d85e62a22acb41197f9aaac87c42617.png

He said he hated Germans until he went back in 1962, he realized he no longer did.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Bf-NN ... ns&f=false

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeff_36 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:21 pm

Ryu, please stop reading the Daily Stormer, it is a hive of maggots and inbreds, Nazi worshippers who would have been first in line for T4 had they lived in their false idols wretched kingdom.

Jeffk 1970
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:25 pm

Jeff_36 wrote:

Ryu, please stop reading the Daily Stormer, it is a hive of maggots and inbreds, Nazi worshippers who would have been first in line for T4 had they lived in their false idols wretched kingdom.

Oh, that's awesome......and true.

But, they don't advocate violence. They like to make that perfectly clear.

:cry:

ryu
Poster

Postby ryu » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:36 pm

Jeff...they make claims that are hard to ignore sometimes...yes they worship eric hunt who we debunk but it never hurts to check.
That said they are violent unless confronted

Jeffk 1970
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:41 pm

ryu wrote:Jeff...they make claims that are hard to ignore sometimes...yes they worship eric hunt who we debunk but it never hurts to check.

They recently set their vile troll posters on a young Jewish woman running for Congress.

Denying-History
Frequent Poster

Postby Denying-History » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:15 am

ryu wrote:One thing I never understood was the whole tattoo thing...

He has a tattoo it just wasn't picked up for one of two reasons.

1) it's faded over time.

2) sunlight issues.

3) also deniers regularly mark out the wrong spot for his tattoo.

In the following photo you can see his tattoo

And this is where deniers tell you to look.

The issue is his tattoo was crude, and over the years. Like other survivors tattoos, would loose it's shade. Don't listen to deniers on the subject. They rely on images that you cannot even zoom in on.
« Oral history is a complex field. After all, memory can be a distorting mirror, as anyone who has ever worked with memoir literature knows very well...They may be imperfect, and, at times, inaccurate as the narrator tries to cast himself in the most favorable light, but all sources are imperfect. Even an archival document reflects how the person who drafted it understood something and remains something less than the unvarnished truth. »
- James Mace

Denying-History
Frequent Poster

Postby Denying-History » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:17 am

Here is an example of a faded tattoo be they can be even more faded then this.

Here is another example of a tattoo that is hard to notice.

Do you need any more examples that this man whom even just died today did have a tattoo?

Might I also explain that this was a cheap camera filming the documentary. It's a 90's camera and detail isn't like what it is today.
« Oral history is a complex field. After all, memory can be a distorting mirror, as anyone who has ever worked with memoir literature knows very well...They may be imperfect, and, at times, inaccurate as the narrator tries to cast himself in the most favorable light, but all sources are imperfect. Even an archival document reflects how the person who drafted it understood something and remains something less than the unvarnished truth. »
- James Mace

Xcalibur
Frequent Poster

Postby Xcalibur » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:27 am

Denying-History wrote:

1) it's faded over time.

2) sunlight issues.

The issue is his tattoo was crude, and over the years. Like other survivors tattoos, would loose it's shade. Don't listen to deniers on the subject. They rely on images that you cannot even zoom in on.

As well the area within the red circle is completely over-exposed. No detail there whatsoever....

Denying-History
Frequent Poster

Postby Denying-History » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:31 am

Xcalibur wrote:
Denying-History wrote:

1) it's faded over time.

2) sunlight issues.

As well the area within the red circle is completely over-exposed. No detail there whatsoever....

The area with the White circle is not even the place where is tattoo is placed ether.
- James Mace

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeff_36 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:35 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
ryu wrote:Jeff...they make claims that are hard to ignore sometimes...yes they worship eric hunt who we debunk but it never hurts to check.

They recently set their vile troll posters on a young Jewish woman running for Congress.

And on a Jewish reporter who criticized the behavior of Trumps wife...

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeff_36 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:37 am

Their claims are never based on reality,

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:56 am

Denying-History wrote:
Xcalibur wrote:
Denying-History wrote:

1) it's faded over time.

2) sunlight issues.

The area with the White circle is not even the place where is tattoo is placed ether.

I think the whole thing utter baloney but I went looking and grabbed a slightly better image (maybe it even shows a slight shadow in the area in question) and the second one seems to show the partial tattoo.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Denying-History
Frequent Poster

Postby Denying-History » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:17 am

Two issues with the top one...

1) its taken on an older camera as already explained from me... And it was part of a Documentary.

2) His early life photo clearly shows a tattoo and the 2nd image support it. The first image is way to blurry to even really consider it an actual argument and sun rays are landing directly on it... Which could lead to issue of detail... Then all the other photos of him missing a tattoo are generally shot at weird angles.
- James Mace

NathanC
Poster

Postby NathanC » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:28 am

I have to admit :my views on Eli Wiesel have been tainted by our dealings with deniers. As they say "Wiesels and Diesels", Deniers' twin obsessions. I've avoided his works based on that principle.

That said, I'm sad to hear he's passed on. RiP

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeff_36 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:52 am

his book "night" is evocatively written and deeply moving, but at this point I generally prefer more scholarly works. That being said, "night" was a wrenching read in many ways, I already knew of the goings on at Auschwitz, but my knowledge of them was sterile and from afar. Reading "Night" gave me a real, visceral sense of what it was like.

ryu
Poster

Postby ryu » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:45 am

...I sorta can't see it...no wait it is there! Holy {!#%@}!
Last edited by ryu on Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Denying-History
Frequent Poster

Postby Denying-History » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:49 am

ryu wrote:...I sorta can't see it...

What can you not see Ryu? The tattoo?
- James Mace

ryu
Poster

Postby ryu » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:50 am

No I saw it!

Balsamo
Frequent Poster

Postby Balsamo » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:55 am

Jeff_36 wrote:his book "night" is evocatively written and deeply moving, but at this point I generally prefer more scholarly works. That being said, "night" was a wrenching read in many ways, I already knew of the goings on at Auschwitz, but my knowledge of them was sterile and from afar. Reading "Night" gave me a real, visceral sense of what it was like.

Serioulsy?
Like truckloads of crying babies being thrown in huge fire pits? Or delirious women having sacred revelation of chimneys spitting fire in the train? Jewish being marched all the way to jump in those pits, one by one?
Maybe you should read this "night" again, and then read Primo Levy own rendition of his experience at Monowitz... Things should clarify themselves.

Wiesel just passed away, so i am not going to push on, it has been done more than deserved.
My thoughts to his family and closed ones.

His death should inspire everyone to leave this thread once and for all.
My own personal fear is that the inevitable reaction to his death will cause even more damage than his own works has.

Micheal Cimino, who made one of my favorite movie "the Deer Hunter" also passed away today, along with Michel Rocard, one of the very few French politician i had admiration for. Cimino "Big Jane" is worth 20 times Wiesel's poor writings.

My last post in this thread

Jeffk 1970
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:22 am

I opened this thread to notify everyone of his death. It is certainly newsworthy.
I've never read any of his books, so I have no opinion of his writing style. I have a tendency to steer clear of survivor memoirs, not because I don't believe them, I just don't have an interest in reading those types of books. Their recollections fit best (for me, at least) as part of the whole narrative.
When people have asked me about this subject I point them towards Laurence Rees, Christopher Browning, Saul Friedlander and Yitzhak Arad, not Elie Wiesel.
In any case, my best wishes for his family. RIP, Mr. Wiesel.

ryu
Poster

Postby ryu » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:55 am

It's amazing...now that we proven his tattoo they have to tear him down in other ways.
This article for example goes through the absence of evidence route...but seems to complain about nothing in the end: http://www.eliewieseltattoo.com/ken-wal ... nt-1073198

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:22 am

Balsamo wrote:Micheal Cimino, who made one of my favorite movie "the Deer Hunter" also passed away today, along with Michel Rocard, one of the very few French politician i had admiration for. Cimino "Big Jane" is worth 20 times Wiesel's poor writings

Figures. IMO the two worst movies I ever saw were 1) The Deer Hunter and 2) Fool for Love. LOL.

OTOH we agree on Primo Levi.

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeff_36 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:02 pm

Balsamo wrote:
Jeff_36 wrote:his book "night" is evocatively written and deeply moving, but at this point I generally prefer more scholarly works. That being said, "night" was a wrenching read in many ways, I already knew of the goings on at Auschwitz, but my knowledge of them was sterile and from afar. Reading "Night" gave me a real, visceral sense of what it was like.

Serioulsy?
Like truckloads of crying babies being thrown in huge fire pits? Or delirious women having sacred revelation of chimneys spitting fire in the train? Jewish being marched all the way to jump in those pits, one by one?
Maybe you should read this "night" again, and then read Primo Levy own rendition of his experience at Monowitz... Things should clarify themselves.

Wiesel just passed away, so i am not going to push on, it has been done more than deserved.
My thoughts to his family and closed ones.

His death should inspire everyone to leave this thread once and for all.
My own personal fear is that the inevitable reaction to his death will cause even more damage than his own works has.

Micheal Cimino, who made one of my favorite movie "the Deer Hunter" also passed away today, along with Michel Rocard, one of the very few French politician i had admiration for. Cimino "Big Jane" is worth 20 times Wiesel's poor writings.

My last post in this thread

I agree entirely. I have preferred Levi for years to be honest but "Night" was a tremendously jarring read that while at times plainly fictional gave the reader a sense of the kind of emotions someone there must have been feeling.

Jeffk 1970
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:02 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Balsamo wrote:Micheal Cimino, who made one of my favorite movie "the Deer Hunter" also passed away today, along with Michel Rocard, one of the very few French politician i had admiration for. Cimino "Big Jane" is worth 20 times Wiesel's poor writings

Figures. IMO the two worst movies I ever saw were 1) The Deer Hunter and 2) Fool for Love. LOL.

OTOH we agree on Primo Levi.

I tried to watch the Deer Hunter, I couldn't get into it. From what I remember it seemed very sloppily edited.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:22 pm

Agree, in an indulgent manner, and also marred by a misguided central set-up. It is a movie I always cite, with Fool for Love, as one of the two worst I've ever seen/

Denying-History
Frequent Poster

Postby Denying-History » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:27 pm

I agree with Balsamo... I think we should just kill this thread... It seems more appropriate.
- James Mace

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:31 pm

I have to say that I am more interested in the tangents - 1) The Deer Hunter, 2) Eric Hunt's psychiatric problems, and 3) Wiesel's centrality for deniers - than Wiesel himself.

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeff_36 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:54 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Agree, in an indulgent manner, and also marred by a misguided central set-up. It is a movie I always cite, with Fool for Love, as one of the two worst I've ever seen/

The worst movie I've ever seen hands down is "Showgirls" with "Zoolander 2" in close second

Jeffk 1970
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:21 pm

Denying-History wrote:I agree with Balsamo... I think we should just kill this thread... It seems more appropriate.

Up to you.....I thought it a worthwhile subject to bring up. He's probably the most famous survivor I knew, though I personally liked Toivi Blatt, who seemed personable.

Jeffk 1970
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:29 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:I have to say that I am more interested in the tangents - 1) The Deer Hunter, 2) Eric Hunt's psychiatric problems, and 3) Wiesel's centrality for deniers - than Wiesel himself.

The one denier fixation I never understood is the need to prove Anne Frank's diary a fake.

Wiesel certainly stood out for deniers. I don't know any other survivor who has a website devoted to his tattoo.

Balsamo
Frequent Poster

Postby Balsamo » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:16 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:I have to say that I am more interested in the tangents - 1) The Deer Hunter, 2) Eric Hunt's psychiatric problems, and 3) Wiesel's centrality for deniers - than Wiesel himself.

1) You must be kidding!
The cast is just fantastic, i do indeed favor acting when watching a movie and the soundtrack is one of the best ever written. Walken's acting in this movie belongs to one of the best personal performance in Hollywood history. John Cazale last performance knowing he was going to die gives an extra emotional touch, especially since her wife is there with him...Again, what a performance under those circumstances. Robert de Niro is good too, but this time obscured by the ones i mentioned. Merryl perfect as usual.

Fool for love ? :lol: Why not "full moon junction"?
Just to think at "Dirty Dancing" ... :shock: or "Independence day".

2.) Hunt is insane, but it is old news.

3.) Is the reason why we should leave the tread alone. Wiesel has been a scapegoat for decades. His death is certainly the worse occasion to give it another shot.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:25 pm

Balsamo wrote:

1) You must be kidding!
The cast is just fantastic, i do indeed favor acting when watching a movie and the soundtrack is one of the best ever written. Walken's acting in this movie belongs to one of the best personal performance in Hollywood history. John Cazale last performance knowing he was going to die gives an extra emotional touch, especially since her wife is there with him...Again, what a performance under those circumstances. Robert de Niro is good too, but this time obscured by the ones i mentioned. Merryl perfect as usual.

Just the opposite - figures! - Sandy Rogers' songs for Fool for Love (Sam Shepherd) are amazing -but the movie itself was so bad you have to separate the music from it; I found nothing redeeming in The Deer Hunter. Meryl Streep is another aspect of it that I could do without. Sad to see de Niro in such a hot mess.

No idea what those other movies have to do with this. I never saw them, though, so I can't say. I mean a Teletubbies movie, if there was one, or Teen Wolf or whatever was probably worse than Fool for Love - but I meant among movies that tried having a purpose other than selling tickets and popcorn.

Balsamo wrote:2.) Hunt is insane, but it is old news.

But he's still at it. He's boring, I agree. But relevant in that he keeps churning garbage out.

Balsamo wrote:3.) Is the reason why we should leave the tread alone. Wiesel has been a scapegoat for decades. His death is certainly the worse occasion to give it another shot.

I kind of agree with Jeffk - the centrality of Wiesel to deniers is interesting and says something about them, which is where Hunt comes in.

Jeffk 1970
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:32 pm

Balsamo wrote:

1) You must be kidding!

2.) Hunt is insane, but it is old news.

3.) Is the reason why we should leave the tread alone. Wiesel has been a scapegoat for decades. His death is certainly the worse occasion to give it another shot.

This is not a denier thread. I am not a Holocaust denier.
My intention was not to give deniers another shot at him. I opened this thread because the subject is a well known Holocaust survivor. We all have an interest in this time period and Mr Wiesel is a part of that time period.
I'm actually glad I did, I now know that Mr. Wiesel did in fact have a tatto. I'd never seen that picture before of his tatto.
Again, my sympathies lie with his family and those others his life touched. You have my apologies you mistook the intention of this thread.
For the record, the worst movie I ever saw was "Eyes Wide Shut." It's 2 1/2 hours of my life I'll never get back.
The second was "Titanic." I only went because a girl I liked wanted to go.

Return to “Holocaust Denial”