George Martin RIP

Holocaust denial and related subjects.
Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Re: George Martin RIP

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:55 pm

Nazism conspired to create a sense of festival time. . . . Tragically for humanity, the party generating it was the type not associated with the coloured costumes of the Brazilian Carnival, but with the brown-shirted thuggery of the NSDAP. The contrast between the dance and the march, between the samba and the strains of the Horst Wessel Lied, points to the gulf separating a life-asserting community from a community which exists only by creating a demonized other. - RG '97

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:57 pm

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:18 pm

Apparently Greg is fine:

http://bestclassicbands.com/gregg-allman-hospice-4-24-17/

I'm glad. Part of the sucky part of getting older (besides the fact that right now my left shoulder is currently hurting like hell and I don't know why, I skipped the gym today in favor of a nap) is watching the bands (and others, RIP Carrie Fisher and Don Rickles) get old and pass on.
Well, except Keith Richards. He will simply go on, pickled and smoked, until the world ends.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:38 pm

ROFL
Nazism conspired to create a sense of festival time. . . . Tragically for humanity, the party generating it was the type not associated with the coloured costumes of the Brazilian Carnival, but with the brown-shirted thuggery of the NSDAP. The contrast between the dance and the march, between the samba and the strains of the Horst Wessel Lied, points to the gulf separating a life-asserting community from a community which exists only by creating a demonized other. - RG '97

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:40 pm

And btw I am old enough to remember when Otis Redding died . . . even Richard Fariña . . . and of course Morrison, Joplin and Hendrix. Marley. Not Buddy Holly though - but Cobain's death hit me hardest for some reason - maybe because I'd recently seen his band. Rufus Thomas too, because I knew him but he died much later and was in his 80s.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:37 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:And btw I am old enough to remember when Otis Redding died . . . even Richard Fariña . . . and of course Morrison, Joplin and Hendrix. Marley. Not Buddy Holly though - but Cobain's death hit me hardest for some reason - maybe because I'd recently seen his band. Rufus Thomas too, because I knew him but he died much later and was in his 80s.

Cobain hit me hard, he turned into (though I don't think he wanted to be) the voice of my generation. He spoke to us 20-somethings who looked around in consternation, trying to figure out what the hell happened. Nirvana was a wake up call (really, all the Seattle bands were) to those of us who hated the empty vacuity of the music industry in the 80's and early 90's (though we gained some relief with thrash, classic rock and punk).

I'm old enough to remember John Lennon's death. My uncle and my brother loved the Beatles so to a large degree some of my youngest memories were The Beatles playing on vinyl and cassettes. Through them I learned to love the Beatles and their rich variety, even as a young lad Lennon's death hit me hard. Lennon became the voice of my uncle and brother's generation (though, like Cobain I'm not sure he wanted to be that) and he wound up embracing that role in ways Cobain didn't.

I think Ringo and Paul's death will hit me hard for the above reasons, the same with Jagger, because it will mean an end to the bands that I listened to as I grew up. It's odd, Layne Staley's death (Alice in Chains) didn't bother me as much, his problems were well known and to some degree his end was expected. It sucks how the music industry cannibalizes its own. It also sucks that talented people wind up miserably succumbing to substance and alcohol abuse.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:50 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:And btw I am old enough to remember when Otis Redding died . . . even Richard Fariña . . . and of course Morrison, Joplin and Hendrix. Marley. Not Buddy Holly though - but Cobain's death hit me hardest for some reason - maybe because I'd recently seen his band. Rufus Thomas too, because I knew him but he died much later and was in his 80s.

Cobain hit me hard, he turned into (though I don't think he wanted to be) the voice of my generation. He spoke to us 20-somethings who looked around in consternation, trying to figure out what the hell happened. Nirvana was a wake up call (really, all the Seattle bands were) to those of us who hated the empty vacuity of the music industry in the 80's and early 90's (though we gained some relief with thrash, classic rock and punk).

I was a 40-something at the time and a huge fan. I was very fortunate to see him (with Half Japanese and the Breeders, that was one helluva show). I took my 12-year-old son, who sat several rows in front of me with his best friend LOL.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:58 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:I took my 12-year-old son, who sat several rows in front of me with his best friend LOL.

You were cool enough to take him...but not cool enough to sit with.

:lol:

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:04 pm

Exactly. (He edged backwards until, mid-show, he was sitting beside me!) We still talk about that night. It was one of the best 5 band performances I've ever seen.

Xcalibur
Frequent Poster

Postby Xcalibur » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:06 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:

I'm old enough to remember John Lennon's death. My uncle and my brother loved the Beatles so to a large degree some of my youngest memories were The Beatles playing on vinyl and cassettes. Through them I learned to love the Beatles and their rich variety, even as a young lad Lennon's death hit me hard. Lennon became the voice of my uncle and brother's generation (though, like Cobain I'm not sure he wanted to be that) and he wound up embracing that role in ways Cobain didn't.

I think Ringo and Paul's death will hit me hard for the above reasons, the same with Jagger, because it will mean an end to the bands that I listened to as I grew up. It's odd, Layne Staley's death (Alice in Chains) didn't bother me as much, his problems were well known and to some degree his end was expected. It sucks how the music industry cannibalizes its own. It also sucks that talented people wind up miserably succumbing to substance and alcohol abuse.

Know what you mean... I've been in a total funk since learning of the passing of Erin Moran yesterday. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:45 pm

Erin Moran was in a Roger Corman movie called "Galaxy of Terror," one of a number of low budget movies that came out in the late 70's/early 80's that tried to capitalize on Alien/Star Wars.
I remember watching it with a group of friends. We got into a contest at one point of finding the lowest budget gore fest at the local video stores to gross each other out with (yeah, I know, teenage boys, right?).
Anyway, her death scene was quite memorable, you can see it on YouTube.
It is sad, seems like her later years sucked, she passed away from cancer, sounds like she lost most, if not all, of the money she made.

Xcalibur
Frequent Poster

Postby Xcalibur » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:57 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:Erin Moran was in a Roger Corman movie called "Galaxy of Terror," one of a number of low budget movies that came out in the late 70's/early 80's that tried to capitalize on Alien/Star Wars.
I remember watching it with a group of friends. We got into a contest at one point of finding the lowest budget gore fest at the local video stores to gross each other out with (yeah, I know, teenage boys, right?).
It is sad, seems like her later years sucked, she passed away from cancer, sounds like she lost most, if not all, of the money she made.

That was an example of my obtuse sense of humor aimed at her musical aspirations. Apparently she was the Lindsay Lohan of the time: unhireable, unreliable and uninsurable for any serious industry work. Friend of mine from med school days worked at the LA County Coroner's Office then. Dudes there had a celebrity dead pool on the "qt" and she was at #6 on that list.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:09 am

Didn't know she tried to have a musical career.

What is it with TV/movie stars and trying to sing?

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:12 am

Xcalibur wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:Erin Moran was in a Roger Corman movie called "Galaxy of Terror," one of a number of low budget movies that came out in the late 70's/early 80's that tried to capitalize on Alien/Star Wars.

That was an example of my obtuse sense of humor aimed at her musical aspirations. Apparently she was the Lindsay Lohan of the time: unhireable, unreliable and uninsurable for any serious industry work. Friend of mine from med school days worked at the LA County Coroner's Office then. Dudes there had a celebrity dead pool on the "qt" and she was at #6 on that list.

My sister-in-law was an EMT in California, she told me that a semi-regular was Grace Slick. They had to go out on possible OD's, Grace liked her pharmaceuticals.

Xcalibur
Frequent Poster

Postby Xcalibur » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:17 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Xcalibur wrote:

Iirc, the top two positions on that list at time were #1, David Crosby and #2, Grace Slick.

My sister-in-law was an EMT in California, she told me that a semi-regular was Grace Slick. They had to go out on possible OD's, Grace liked her pharmaceuticals.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:37 am

Xcalibur wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:Know what you mean... I've been in a total funk since learning of the passing of Erin Moran yesterday. :cry: :cry: :cry:

LOL

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:49 pm

Chris Cornell, lead singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave, passed away:

http://www.koco.com/article/representative-rocker-chris-cornell-has-died-at-age-52/9871373

Not my favorite among the Grunge bands but they were still pretty good.

https://youtu.be/sC2GjXMk7i4

https://youtu.be/f8nkHrv_4Mg

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:51 pm

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:03 pm

Looks like Cornell hung himself.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/chris-cornells-cause-of-death-confirmed-as-suicide-w483022

I'm both pissed off and saddened by this.

Denying-History
Frequent Poster

Postby Denying-History » Fri May 19, 2017 4:36 am

Well {!#%@}, for some reason I thought that Jeff meant Samuel Crowell...
« Lies written in ink cannot disguise facts written in blood. »
- Lu Xun

Kleon_I XYZ Contagion
Poster

Postby Kleon_I XYZ Contagion » Sat May 20, 2017 2:52 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:Chris Cornell, lead singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave, passed away:

Second wife who helped him clean up from addictions, Greek, Vicky Karayiannis. She converted him to Greek Orthodox Church, and had two little kids together. RIP.
According to experts and scholars, the 10 stages of every genocide are
Classification Symbolization Discrimination Dehumanization Organization Polarization Preparation Persecution Extermination
... and finally the 10th stage:
Denial
http://www.genocidewatch.org/genocide/t ... ocide.html

XYZ Contagion (‘Because the truth is contagious‘), an investigative/research political and historical website, deals also with the Srebrenica Genocide
https://xyzcontagion.wordpress.com/about/#English

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat May 20, 2017 3:26 pm

My favorite band has or has had (you never know with The Fall) a backup singer who is Greek. Her name's Elena Poulou and she's from Corinth IIRC.

Kleon_I XYZ Contagion
Poster

Postby Kleon_I XYZ Contagion » Sun May 21, 2017 8:11 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:My favorite band has or has had (you never know with The Fall) a backup singer who is Greek. Her name's Elena Poulou and she's from Corinth IIRC.

Yes, she is officially Misses Mark E. Smith for some time now, she brings him in Greece a lot, and she gave the most bizarre answer once:

Reporter: What do you think makes your band mate and husband Mark E Smith one of the most influential figures in punk?
Elena: That we did not recognize the term “punk”.

http://popaganda.gr/elena-poulou-pote-d ... tous-fall/
Classification Symbolization Discrimination Dehumanization Organization Polarization Preparation Persecution Extermination
Denial

XYZ Contagion (‘Because the truth is contagious‘), an investigative/research political and historical website, deals also with the Srebrenica Genocide

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun May 21, 2017 11:34 am

Kleon_I XYZ Contagion wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:My favorite band has or has had (you never know with The Fall) a backup singer who is Greek. Her name's Elena Poulou and she's from Corinth IIRC.

Yes, she is officially Misses Mark E. Smith for some time now, she brings him in Greece a lot, and she gave the most bizarre answer once:

Reporter: What do you think makes your band mate and husband Mark E Smith one of the most influential figures in punk?
Elena: That we did not recognize the term “punk”.

http://popaganda.gr/elena-poulou-pote-d ... tous-fall/

ROFL, she fits in with The Fall for sure! Being Mrs MES must be one of life's most difficult roles. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH1KhxKh1YA&list=RDKNCJuujK5oU&index=4

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun May 21, 2017 1:09 pm

most bizarre use of a song in a TV commercial I know of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVnsmADFCIg

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue May 23, 2017 4:17 pm

Roger Moore, the actor I most associate with James Bond, passed away.

Kleon_I XYZ Contagion
Poster

Postby Kleon_I XYZ Contagion » Tue May 23, 2017 6:34 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:Roger Moore, the actor I most associate with James Bond, passed away.

Very sad news. 'The Saint' and 'The Persuaders' were major hits when Greek TV had only two state channels, when I was in school.
And just to keep up on this funny Portocalos thing, I guess you all remember the great breath-taking cliff scenes he filmed on Meteora mountaintop monastery in Greece, 'For Your Eyes Only' in 1981, when he has to chase the double agent Greek villain Aristotle "Aris" Kristatos.
'Meteora' means 'hovering above us high in the air', or 'suspended up in heaven', and there are now some six or seven, I think, monasteries from the original 30 back in the time, all on top of these strange rocky mountains like vertical boulders on the flat ground.

Many details here:

- When James Bond Went To Meteora | MYSTAGOGY RESOURCE CENTER
http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2012/11 ... teora.html

- Climb the villain hideout in Meteora from For Your Eyes Only
http://huntingbond.com/james-bond-for-y ... ra-greece/

For the Meteora shoots, a Greek bishop was paid to allow filming in the monasteries, but the uninformed Orthodox monks were mostly critical of production rolling in their installations. After a trial in the Greek Supreme Court, it was decided that the monks' only property were the interiors; the exteriors and surrounding landscapes belonged to the local government. In protest, the monks remained shut inside the monasteries during the shooting, and tried to sabotage production as much as possible, hanging their washing out of their windows and covering the principal monastery with plastic bunting and flags to spoil the shots, and placing oil drums to prevent the film crew from landing helicopters. The production team solved the problem with back lighting, matte paintings, and building both a similar scenographic monastery on a nearby unoccupied rock, and a monastery set in Pinewood. This was all done despite the comment by Roger Moore, who told the monks politely that he 'once was a saint himself'
After the production of James Bond at Meteora, the monasteries were never the same again. Founded in 985 A.D. by monks from Mount Athos, one thousand years later in October of 1980 disturbed monks began leaving Meteora back to Mount Athos. The popularity of the film which brought many tourists and the disturbance from production no longer offered the monks the solitude and quiet they desired. Though problems with heavy tourism began about a decade earlier, when the monasteries became more accessible.

James Bond/Roger Moore made it again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FDX6_BSas8
Denial

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:41 pm

Kleon_I XYZ Contagion wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:Roger Moore, the actor I most associate with James Bond, passed away.

Very sad news. 'The Saint' and 'The Persuaders' were major hits when Greek TV had only two state channels, when I was in school.
And just to keep up on this funny Portocalos thing, I guess you all remember the great breath-taking cliff scenes he filmed on Meteora mountaintop monastery in Greece, 'For Your Eyes Only' in 1981, when he has to chase the double agent Greek villain Aristotle "Aris" Kristatos.
'Meteora' means 'hovering above us high in the air', or 'suspended up in heaven', and there are now some six or seven, I think, monasteries from the original 30 back in the time, all on top of these strange rocky mountains like vertical boulders on the flat ground.

Many details here:

- When James Bond Went To Meteora | MYSTAGOGY RESOURCE CENTER
http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2012/11 ... teora.html

- Climb the villain hideout in Meteora from For Your Eyes Only
http://huntingbond.com/james-bond-for-y ... ra-greece/

For the Meteora shoots, a Greek bishop was paid to allow filming in the monasteries, but the uninformed Orthodox monks were mostly critical of production rolling in their installations. After a trial in the Greek Supreme Court, it was decided that the monks' only property were the interiors; the exteriors and surrounding landscapes belonged to the local government. In protest, the monks remained shut inside the monasteries during the shooting, and tried to sabotage production as much as possible, hanging their washing out of their windows and covering the principal monastery with plastic bunting and flags to spoil the shots, and placing oil drums to prevent the film crew from landing helicopters. The production team solved the problem with back lighting, matte paintings, and building both a similar scenographic monastery on a nearby unoccupied rock, and a monastery set in Pinewood. This was all done despite the comment by Roger Moore, who told the monks politely that he 'once was a saint himself'
After the production of James Bond at Meteora, the monasteries were never the same again. Founded in 985 A.D. by monks from Mount Athos, one thousand years later in October of 1980 disturbed monks began leaving Meteora back to Mount Athos. The popularity of the film which brought many tourists and the disturbance from production no longer offered the monks the solitude and quiet they desired. Though problems with heavy tourism began about a decade earlier, when the monasteries became more accessible.

James Bond/Roger Moore made it again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FDX6_BSas8

For Your Eyes Only is one of my favorite (Roger Moore) Bond films. I also liked The Man with the Golden Gun. Let's face it, anything with Christopher Lee is great.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:51 pm

This thread sorta turned into the "who passed away thread" but it started as a memorial of sorts to George Martin and the Beatles.

XM Radio now has a 24-hour station devoted to the Beatles. I got in my car today and "A Day in the Life" was on, a favorite.

https://youtu.be/usNsCeOV4GM

Anyway, wanted to share. The Beatles stretched the length and width of the musical landscape, sometimes it's just cool to sit there and listen.

No, I'm not stoned.

LOL

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue May 23, 2017 10:55 pm

I remember the first time I heard that song. Parked with some friends in a Rambler, behind a school, late one weekend night. AM radio. We couldn't believe what we were hearing. I am not even sure the LP had been released yet. We had no idea when we'd hear the song again . . .

Xcalibur
Frequent Poster

Postby Xcalibur » Wed May 24, 2017 3:43 am

The only true Bond was Sean Connery. And the Roger Moore films were seriously crap. :P

And the Stones were better.. {!#%@} the Beatles :roll:

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed May 24, 2017 5:07 am

Xcalibur wrote:The only true Bond was Sean Connery. And the Roger Moore films were seriously crap. :P

Spoiler:

:lol:

Xcalibur
Frequent Poster

Postby Xcalibur » Wed May 24, 2017 5:20 am

I had to, I'm old.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed May 24, 2017 5:25 am

Xcalibur wrote:I had to, I'm old.

I like the Stones. If they start a Stones channel I'll listen to it.

https://youtu.be/BMYYCO_hwAs

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed May 24, 2017 10:39 am

Xcalibur wrote:The only true Bond was Sean Connery. And the Roger Moore films were seriously crap. :P

Coke or Pepsi? :)

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster
Location: At the hundredth meridian, where the great plains begin

Postby Jeff_36 » Fri May 26, 2017 4:26 am

Xcalibur wrote:The only true Bond was Sean Connery.

I find Dalton severely uunderrated. And maybe it`s a generational thing but I think Daniel Craig is the best bond out of all of them.

And the Roger Moore films were seriously crap. :P

I will not speak ill of the dead. But If he were alive, you would not dislike what I would say......

And Zeppelin was better than both of em 8-)

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat May 27, 2017 8:47 pm

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sat May 27, 2017 8:54 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:

Greg Allman, 69

Wow, thanks. I hadn't gotten an alert about this yet.

RIP, Greg Allman. I caught some of their concerts on the old King Bisquit Flour Hour. I remember listening to them late at night as a teenager, keeping it low so my parents couldn't hear it.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat May 27, 2017 8:57 pm

I never saw them, I hate to say. I absolutely despised them when they first arrived, the whole southern rock thing irritated me for some unknown reason, probably misguided politics. I was known to have antipathy for them. One day a song of theirs I didn't know - I didn't now many - came on the radio (FM). I listened for a bit, not recognizing the band, and declared that the Second Coming had finally come to pass. LOL MY friends about half died . . . Of course they became one of my favorite bands.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sat May 27, 2017 9:05 pm

For some reason I always liked southern rock, except Lynard Skynard. Can't stand them and "Free Bird" makes me wretch. But, there's that combination of blues and rock that the Almann Brothers had that I liked, along with some of the others.

Return to “Holocaust Denial”