George Martin RIP

Holocaust denial and related subjects.
Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Re: George Martin RIP

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:51 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:Devo is awesome, this version is also high on the list of covers for me.

It is spectacular because it is diametrically the opposite of the song's essence - it is cold and mechanical where the song is overheated, angst ridden, and almost pleading. Big O's version is spectacular because it gets to the song's essence maybe better than the Stones' version.
. . . I mean Negative Capability, that is, when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason—Coleridge, for instance, would let go by a fine isolated verisimilitude caught from the Penetralium of mystery, from being incapable of remaining content with half-knowledge. - John Keats, 1817

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster
Location: At the hundredth meridian, where the great plains begin

Postby Jeff_36 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:03 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Complemented (?) by this bizarro cover of the same song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jadvt7CbH1o

My father loves this version, says they did it on SNL once.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:07 am

they did, and it was terrific . . . I used to listen to this punk radio show on WPIX from NYC, in the brief period it was a punk/new wave station, my favorite deejay played this song all the time . . . folks, this was back when we listened to music on vinyl :)
. . . I mean Negative Capability, that is, when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason—Coleridge, for instance, would let go by a fine isolated verisimilitude caught from the Penetralium of mystery, from being incapable of remaining content with half-knowledge. - John Keats, 1817

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeff_36 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:13 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote: folks, this was back when we listened to music on vinyl :)

there was a gas station not far from my childhood home that doubled as a knick-knack store that sold, among other things, used vinyl records. I found a copy of Wheels of Steel by Saxon that was on for 99 cents, 99 cents! I couldn't believe it.

probably the second or third best opening 35 seconds in rock history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkKrUz45icE

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:38 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:they did, and it was terrific . . . I used to listen to this punk radio show on WPIX from NYC, in the brief period it was a punk/new wave station, my favorite deejay played this song all the time . . . folks, this was back when we listened to music on vinyl :)

Can't forget cassettes. Nothing like having a cassette tape unravel in the tape deck. Then, the ever so gentle tugging to get it out, followed by using a pencil to wind it back up again.
Or eight tracks. My first car had a factory installed eight track stereo in it. I had three eight tracks I found at garage sells, the Police (Synchronicity) Thirty-Eight Special (Wild-Eyed Southern Boys, I think) and Queen (Night at the Opera).

Good grief, misspelled "Synchronicity."

Completely underrated but fantastic song on that album, "Tea in the Sahara."
Last edited by Jeffk 1970 on Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeff_36 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:44 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:they did, and it was terrific . . . I used to listen to this punk radio show on WPIX from NYC, in the brief period it was a punk/new wave station, my favorite deejay played this song all the time . . . folks, this was back when we listened to music on vinyl :)

Can't forget cassettes. Nothing like having a cassette tape unravel in the tape deck. Then, the ever so gentle tugging to get it out, followed by using a pencil to wind it back up again.
Or eight tracks. My first car had a factory installed eight track stereo in it. I had three eight tracks I found at garage sells, the Police (Sycnchonicity) Thirty-Eight Special (Wild-Eyed Southern Boys, I think) and Queen (Night at the Opera).

A great album that was, but I thought Day at the Races had it beat by a notch.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:49 am

Jeff_36 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:

Or eight tracks. My first car had a factory installed eight track stereo in it. I had three eight tracks I found at garage sells, the Police (Sycnchonicity) Thirty-Eight Special (Wild-Eyed Southern Boys, I think) and Queen (Night at the Opera).

Queen is another band that could range over multiple genres and make it all sound good.

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeff_36 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:54 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Jeff_36 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:

Queen is another band that could range over multiple genres and make it all sound good.

Exactly. They sounded like a very typical 70's hard rock band on their first album, but developed their operatic style on their next few.

Another band that ranged fairly broadly over a very long time was Rush, but I'm biased because they're my favorite band........

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:05 am

Jeff_36 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Jeff_36 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:

Exactly. They sounded like a very typical 70's hard rock band on their first album, but developed their operatic style on their next few.

Another band that ranged fairly broadly over a very long time was Rush, but I'm biased because they're my favorite band........

:D

No need to apologize about Rush, they are also a favorite of mine.
Fly by Night, Vital Signs, Subdivisions, Closer to the Heart, Working Man, Red Barchetta......of course Tom Sawyer.

The only people that didn't like Rush are music critics....and they don't know #%!!.

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeff_36 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:13 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Jeff_36 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Jeff_36 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:

Fly by Night, Vital Signs, Subdivisions, Closer to the Heart, Working Man, Red Barchetta......of course Tom Sawyer.

The only people that didn't like Rush are music critics....and they don't know #%!!.

2112 is the literal noise in my literal head. "Limlight" - best driving into the sunset song of all time.

Their final album "Clockwork Angels" was great, usually rock acts from that time period tend to get a little shitty as they go on (look no further than Foreigner LOL), Rush never really fell down the hole.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:14 am

I don't like Rush and I am not a music critic. I am one of the Jews behind this website. :)

I do like the Pavement song (Stereo) that has a verse that goes:

What about the voice of Geddy Lee
How did it get so high?
I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy?
(I know him and he does!)

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeff_36 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:16 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:I don't like Rush

get out

Spoiler:
I kid, I kid :lol:

How did it get so high?

I see where you come from, It's not for everyone. But his voice got more.... even keeled on later albums.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:18 am

LOL now my 8 track memories . . . the best has to do with the lyric "Don't you want somebody to love?" and a very very cute girl, 2 grades ahead of me, sitting next to me in the back seat of a Rambler at an ice cream stand . . . but I digress . ..

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:21 am

Jeff_36 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Jeff_36 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Jeff_36 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:

2112 is the literal noise in my literal head. "Limlight" - best driving into the sunset song of all time.

Their final album "Clockwork Angels" was great, usually rock acts from that time period tend to get a little shitty as they go on (look no further than Foreigner LOL), Rush never really fell down the hole.

I agree, I think even great bands start to run out of ideas. In a way bands like The Beatles and Led Zeppelin benefited by breaking up before they fell down the hole (though Bonham's death sadly made it happen too quick).

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:22 am

StatMech wrote:I don't like Rush and I am not a music critic...

That makes two of us. :-P

...folks, this was back when we listened to music on vinyl :)

:hmm: I think someone will go gaga over this thread... Matthew, where are ya? :-P

Lard, save me from your followers.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:24 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:I don't like Rush and I am not a music critic. I am one of the Jews behind this website. :)

How did it get so high?

Hey, leave us Rush geeks alone!!!!!!!
:lol:

Hey, I understand. I did have a friend that didn't like them.

I've seen Rush in concert three times, they sound great live and their shows are awesome.

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeff_36 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:25 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:LOL now my 8 track memories . . . the best has to do with the lyric "Don't you want somebody to love?" and a very very cute girl, 2 grades ahead of me, sitting next to me in the back seat of a Rambler at an ice cream stand . . . but I digress . ..

when it comes to Jefferson Airplane/Starship/Space Shuttle/Whatever my fav is probaly "Jane". Their other tunes don't rock enough for me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PwG69620WA

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:27 am

scrmbldggs wrote:

:hmm: I think someone will go gaga over this thread... Matthew, where are ya? :-P

Hey, you are just a wire puller. What do you know about music???!!!????

It's OK. I also like bands like Slayer and Megadeth, they aren't everyone's cup of tea.

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeff_36 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:28 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:I don't like Rush and I am not a music critic. I am one of the Jews behind this website. :)

How did it get so high?

Hey, leave us Rush geeks alone!!!!!!!

Hey, I understand. I did have a friend that didn't like them.

I've seen Rush in concert three times, they sound great live and their shows are awesome.

I saw them twice. Fantastic shows, very smooth and efficient.

I had one friend who didn't like them, referred to them as "pretentious", but he liked Nickeback so his opinion didn't count. :lol:

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:29 am

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeff_36 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:30 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:

It's OK. I also like bands like Slayer and Megadeth, they aren't everyone's cup of tea.

Hello me, meet the real me! in my misfit's way of life, a dark past is my...most valued possession!

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeff_36 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:31 am

scrmbldggs wrote:

Get out

Spoiler:
as above, I kid, I kid :lol:

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:31 am

Jeff_36 wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:LOL now my 8 track memories . . . the best has to do with the lyric "Don't you want somebody to love?" and a very very cute girl, 2 grades ahead of me, sitting next to me in the back seat of a Rambler at an ice cream stand . . . but I digress . ..

when it comes to Jefferson Airplane/Starship/Space Shuttle/Whatever my fav is probaly "Jane". Their other tunes don't rock enough for me....

Winds of Change (silly 80's fashion but I do like the song)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o7dJ3a-U6WQ

Stranger and Find your Way Back are also favorites.

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeff_36 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:34 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Jeff_36 wrote:

Winds of Change (silly 80's fashion but I do like the song)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o7dJ3a-U6WQ

Stranger and Find your Way Back are also favorites.

But "We Built this City" on the other hand....... :flushed:

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:52 am

Jeff_36 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:

Hello me, meet the real me! in my misfit's way of life, a dark past is my...most valued possession!

Whaddya mean, I don't believe in God??? Talk to him, everyday.

Whaddya mean, I don't support your system????? I got to court when I have to......

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:53 am

Sorry, doing this on my phone, hard to manipulate font size, colors.

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeff_36 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:00 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Jeff_36 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:

Whaddya mean, I don't support your system????? I got to court when I have to......

CAN YOU PUT A PRICE ON PEACE?!??!?!?!!??!

I am told that I have a passable Dave Mustaine impression

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:04 am

Jeff_36 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Jeff_36 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:

CAN YOU PUT A PRICE ON PEACE?!??!?!?!!??!

I am told that I have a passable Dave Mustaine impression

I love watching Mustaine play guitar, absolutely one of the greatest guitar players in the history of music.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:11 am

Jeff_36 wrote:But "We Built this City" on the other hand....... :flushed:

God awful.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:22 am

Frankly, whether I like Rush or not, a thread about Geddy Lee is infinitely more interesting than the drivel Mary's coming up with these days. :)

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:43 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Frankly, whether I like Rush or not, a thread about Geddy Lee is infinitely more interesting than the drivel Mary's coming up with these days. :)

"It only took just a few people to lie......."

Good grief, how does she function in the real world???????

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:23 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote: Punk bands that I like

Your's truly in London in 1979, aged 17.
1979.jpg

I went over with a Sydney punk band that simply fell apart as soon as it arrived in London......so I went "squatting".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbvoTtbWouc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:26 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:

Your's truly in London in 1979, aged 17.1979.jpg

I went over with a Sydney punk band that simply fell apart as soon as it arrived in London.

Hey, that's cool. I'll check out the video later.

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeff_36 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:48 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:

I went over with a Sydney punk band that simply fell apart as soon as it arrived in London......so I went "squatting".

So it was you who Mark Knopfler from the Dire Straits was referring to when he sang about "Crowd(s) of young boys fooling around in the corner, drunk and dressed in their best King's Road" who "don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band" because "it's not what they call rock n roll" ;) :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pa9x9fZBtY

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:00 am

Jeff_36 wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:

Get out

Spoiler:
as above, I kid, I kid :lol:

. :twisted:

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:19 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:

Nice, I liked it.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:17 pm

Wow!
A real conversation, and a wonderful one at that..... silver thread among the contentious.
I enjoyed every word and sound of it (with no desire to intrude my own tastes or opinions..).

Thanks...

NMB

Jeff_36
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeff_36 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:21 pm

nmblum88 wrote:Wow!
A real conversation, and a wonderful one at that..... silver thread among the contentious.
I enjoyed every word and sound of it (with no desire to intrude my own tastes or opinions..).

Thanks...

NMB

We are not contentious, the deniers seem to have taken a break and left us normal people to our devices.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:56 pm

Jeff_36 wrote:

Thanks...

NMB

We are not contentious, the deniers seem to have taken a break and left us normal people to our devices.

I meant the Forum in general... and not your participation in the specific.

However, since you brought it up:

Contentious in that context is actually a positive: an amenable conversation about the reality of the Shoah would be a travesty of reason.
Would you discuss your favorite music with a wall? Or a chimpanzee?
I am not suggesting that you keep your own opinions to yourself, only that you gave deniers a platform from which to spew their ancient gripes dressed up as some sort of intellectual enterprise.

Judeophobia is a disease and won't be cured by pursuing how many cattle cars made their way to Treblinka with how many human beings stuffed into them.
You can argue how and why the Shoah was inevitable in Christian Europe; that it happened is not really debatable.
And the size and lengths of the pipes that delivered the gas doesn't change that.

So I hope you will return, in this thread, to sharing what you love.

NMB

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:11 pm

nmblum88 wrote:
Jeff_36 wrote:

Thanks...

NMB

I meant the Forum in general... and not your participation in the specific.

However, since you brought it up:

Contentious in that context is actually a positive: an amenable conversation about the reality of the Shoah would be a travesty of reason.
Would you discuss your favorite music with a wall? Or a chimpanzee?
I am not suggesting that you keep your own opinions to yourself, only that you gave deniers a platform from which to spew their ancient gripes dressed up as some sort of intellectual enterprise.

Judeophobia is a disease and won't be cured by pursuing how many cattle cars made their way to Treblinka with how many human beings stuffed into them.
You can argue how and why the Shoah was inevitable in Christian Europe; that it happened is not really debatable.
And the size and lengths of the pipes that delivered the gas doesn't change that.

So I hope you will return, in this thread, to sharing what you love.

NMB

Much of our conversation is devoted to the history, when we disagree it is generally interpretation, not the events themselves.

However, the invitation is there for you to share your musical tastes with us if you'd like. I enjoy talking about it and I like to learn what other people are listening.

Return to “Holocaust Denial”