Always one of my favourites

"started out, for God-knows where, guess I'll know, when I get there"

My he Rest in peace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5BJXwNeKsQ

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Re: George Martin RIP

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:54 am

CNN and others confirmed about an hour ago that Tom Petty died last night at 8:40 PT.

"Let's get to the point, let's roll another joint, turn the radio loud..."

https://youtu.be/9TlBTPITo1I

Godspeed, Tom.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:43 am

. . . I mean Negative Capability, that is, when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason—Coleridge, for instance, would let go by a fine isolated verisimilitude caught from the Penetralium of mystery, from being incapable of remaining content with half-knowledge. - John Keats, 1817

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:38 pm

On the way to the doctor this morning (ah, the joys of getting older, too bad I can’t order replacement parts, about once a year I have to go in for a cortisone shot in my left shoulder), this came on my Beatles Channel on XM:

https://youtu.be/0x7kDDa8P80

Sometimes it’s just good to have that reminder how brilliant Martin and the Beatles were. This song captures what happens when a child leaves home to become an adult. McCartney sang the two viewpoints while Lennon sang the parent’s viewpoint on how they sacrificed for their child. Damn near perfect.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:53 pm

We went to the F1 race in Austin this weekend with some friends who have a 14 year old son; the Beatles came up and I asked if he knew them: he said of course, I love them, a really great band. The kids are all right. :)
. . . I mean Negative Capability, that is, when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason—Coleridge, for instance, would let go by a fine isolated verisimilitude caught from the Penetralium of mystery, from being incapable of remaining content with half-knowledge. - John Keats, 1817

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:45 am

Huh, haven’t thought about this actor for years:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/24/entertainment/robert-guillaume-obit/index.html

I remember him from the the sitcom “Soap,” where the character “Benson” premiered as the wisecracking butler.

My parents wouldn’t let me watch it, I watched some of it behind their backs. I finally finished the whole thing when it came on “Comedy Central,” it came on every day at noon and I actually built my school schedule around it. It was on Netflix to stream for a bit but it is now off.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:27 pm

Balmoral95
Regular Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:47 am

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:41 am

Balmoral95 wrote:https://news.cdcr.ca.gov/news-releases/2017/11/19/inmate-charles-manson-dies-of-natural-causes/

Bon yoyage, Charlie. Hope hell isn’t too hot for you.

:D

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:20 pm

Well, he was a 70’s icon:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/21/entertainment/david-cassidy-dies/index.html

Like every kid born in the 1970’s I caught the Partridge Family in syndication. That and the “Brady Bunch.”

My older sister kept a poster of him on her wall....but, again, everyone’s older sister kept a poster of him on their wall during the 70’s.

My understanding of David Cassidy is he was actually a very good guitar player.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:29 pm

I was doing something else during the 1970s . . . a good period blessedly free of all that.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:39 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:I was doing something else during the 1970s . . . a good period blessedly free of all that.

There was some really great music during that time and some really crappy music as well.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:03 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:I was doing something else during the 1970s . . . a good period blessedly free of all that.

There was some really great music during that time and some really crappy music as well.

I saw in one short period toward the end of the decade The Clash, Bob Marley and the Wailers, Talking Heads, The Patti Smith Group (2x), Richard Hell and the Voidoids, Television, The B-52s, The Ramones, David Johanssen, and Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers. No metal - have never liked it despite my wife's bonding with King Buzzo and my son's taste, no rap although I liked Sugarhill Gang (not a lot beyond them, sadly).

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:27 pm

I saw The Clash in winter '79 at the Palladium in NYC, their first US tour (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... ur-w485925) and I think their 2nd show (http://cluster1.website-staging.uk/blac ... eview.html), when Bo Diddley and The Cramps opened for them; this was the tour called The Pearl Harbour Tour. I sat in the balcony. Bo Diddley's band had a very young woman playing guitar who was dynamite. But that wasn't why I was there . . . To Carson's review I'd add that The Clash seemed to occupy the stage, like a combat force, more than play on it like a band. Strobes behind Topper Headon added to the effect. It wasn't as much a concert as war. The whole event seemed very important. One of the top 5 concerts I've seen (but I have about 10 top 5 concerts LOL - 2 more from this same period, Television at My Father's Place on LI and Bob Marley at Madison Sq Garden).

The world-famous Palladium show, the one during which Paul Simonon smashed his guitar, which Patti Smith photographed and which became the cover of London Calling was months later in September IIRC. I didn't see that show.

I also never saw The Partridge Whatevers or Brady. :)

Balmoral95
Regular Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:24 pm

I also never saw The Partridge Whatevers or Brady. :)

Me too. At least until my daughter started watching this stuff in the '90's. Was rather relieved that my '70's experience was devoid of this schmalzy wholesomeness.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:31 pm

If I want '70s schmalzy wholesome, I would look at The Bob Newhart Show :)

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:03 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:If I want '70s schmalzy wholesome, I would look at The Bob Newhart Show :)

Bob Newhart is one of the funniest human beings I’ve ever seen.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:30 pm

I agree. I like Newhart so much that (a) my first trip to Chicago among the sites I asked to be shown, along with the Haymarket (scene of the 1880s riot) and Water Tower (fire), Grant Park ('68), Wrigley Field, and like that was Bob's TV office building, (b) when a statue of Bob was placed in front of that office building on Michigan Ave, I went for the dedication and (c) my wife bought us tickets to see Bob do standup in Joliet nearly 15 years ago. The show was hysterical.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:29 pm

Balmoral95 wrote:I also never saw The Partridge Whatevers or Brady. :)
There were many more planets back in the 1970s. So much to choose from.......
planet of the apes.jpg
planet_of_the_Partridge_Family.jpg
Planet of the moderators.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Balmoral95
Regular Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:36 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:I agree. I like Newhart so much that (a) my first trip to Chicago among the sites I asked to be shown, along with the Haymarket (scene of the 1880s riot) and Water Tower (fire), Grant Park ('68), Wrigley Field, and like that was Bob's TV office building, (b) when a statue of Bob was placed in front of that office building on Michigan Ave, I went for the dedication and (c) my wife bought us tickets to see Bob do standup in Joliet nearly 15 years ago. The show was hysterical.

Always liked him doing standup.... TV show less so.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:20 pm

His one-end-of-the-telephone standup routines were his best, they are still very funny; I confess to loving his first show: my wife and I, if we get restless, have been known to watch reruns (and also Elf!) . . . :)

Balsamo
Frequent Poster

Postby Balsamo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:01 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:Well, he was a 70’s icon:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/21/entertainment/david-cassidy-dies/index.html

Like every kid born in the 1970’s I caught the Partridge Family in syndication. That and the “Brady Bunch.”

My older sister kept a poster of him on her wall....but, again, everyone’s older sister kept a poster of him on their wall during the 70’s.

My understanding of David Cassidy is he was actually a very good guitar player.

I hope that "The Kid" is still OK...
Farewell Bud...

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:43 am

I thought I brought this up once before, my local PBS affiliate is showing “The Beatles: Eight Days a Week, The Touring Years.” Giles Martin, George’s son and Ron Howard produced it. I taped it and I’m watching it now. It’s quite good. Ringo Starr is a brilliant drummer.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:54 am

It was shown here a couple weeks ago. Fun times. I agree that it was good.

Return to “Holocaust Denial”