The inhabitants ask who it is.
“NKVD.”
“You’ve got the wrong apartment. The Communists are upstairs.”

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Re: General Books/Reading Discussion

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:36 am

Gerwarth's biography of Heydrich is well worth reading: he takes a view like that of Longerich on the timing/pace of the implementation of the Final Solution.
"It was still at the stage of clubs and fists, hurrah, tala"

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:49 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:I am swapping out (right, who cares?) the collection of documents on fascism in favor of Ioanid, The Holocaust in Romania and Solonari, Purifying the Nation [on ethnic cleansing and the Holocaust in Romania]. I'll probably change my mind about travel reading three more times before departing :)

Ioanid: meh, adequate
Solonari: very good

montgomery
Regular Poster

Postby montgomery » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:07 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:I am swapping out (right, who cares?) the collection of documents on fascism in favor of Ioanid, The Holocaust in Romania and Solonari, Purifying the Nation [on ethnic cleansing and the Holocaust in Romania]. I'll probably change my mind about travel reading three more times before departing :)

Ioanid: meh, adequate
Solonari: very good

With all that reading you claim, what is the best book in your opinion that takes a skeptics view of the issue of the holocaust?

And if you like, what's your choice for the book that is most favorable to the truth? In both cases, books that contain no exaggerations and lies?

I'm asking you because I assume you have settled down a bit over the last two days and are ready to behave civilly. I'll judge by your answer/lack of answer whether or not you need more time.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:13 pm

I’ve started Philip Morgan, Hitler's Collaborators: Choosing between bad and worse in Nazi-occupied Western Europe.

montgomery
Regular Poster

Postby montgomery » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:36 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:I’ve started Philip Morgan, Hitler's Collaborators: Choosing between bad and worse in Nazi-occupied Western Europe.

I didn't ask you what you're currently reading. That's fine if you don't want to answer my questions.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:55 pm

Re Solonari, the discussion of Romanian nationalist visions of ethnic purity and policies for population exchange and ethnic cleansing, in general, is really good, as are Solonari's treatment of the impact of German models and policies on Romania; his assessment of the role of the war in Romanian policy developments; and his discussion of conflicts between the Reich and Romania on Jewish policy (shortly after Barbarossa, the Germans refusing Antonescu's desire to shove the Jews across the Urals; later, Romanian refusal to send Romanian Jews to Bełzec as sought by the Germans). Also, the book has a lot of excellent context for reading denier treatments of the Luther memorandum, although Solonari doesn't directly take the memorandum up.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:07 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Semi related, I will be attending an academic Holocaust conference this fall. Highlights include:

- Keynote Lecture Omer Bartov, Brown University
- Holocaust Memory in Poland - panel chaired by Jan Tomasz Gross, Princeton University
- The Afterlife of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising: 75 Years Later panel chaired by Marion Kaplan, New York University
- David P. Boder’s Interviews Revisited: Historical Reconsiderations and Educational Challenges in the Digital Age - panel
- What Constitutes Holocaust Testimony? The Boundaries of the Narratable - panel
- Intertwining and Intersecting Genocide and Mass Violence during World War II: Insights from Polish, Yugoslavian, Hungarian, and Russian - Territories - panel chaired by Raz Segal, Stockton University
- Perpetrator Descendants: An Interdisciplinary Panel

We expect a reporr when you get back....
A joke going around Moscow during The Great Terror:

The NKVD knocks on a door.
“NKVD.”

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:10 pm

My wife, trying to bring me into the 2000s, bought me an iPad, with a pen, specifically so that I can easily take notes at the conference, for such a reporr . . . LOL . . . I am quite excited about this conference, I will look up a graduate-school mate of mine, whom I've not seen in decades and who is now a prominent Holocaust scholar, as well as some others with whom I've corresponded on various questions . . .

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:13 am

So far, Morgan's book on collaboration is another in a series of revisionist titles addressing the postwar national mythology that presented occupied countries as "nations of resisters." It is pretty good through the first few chapters - although it is more of an essay than a close evaluation of sources.

Balmoral95
Veteran Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:36 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:My wife, trying to bring me into the 2000s, bought me an iPad, with a pen, specifically so that I can easily take notes at the conference, for such a reporr . . . LOL . . . I am quite excited about this conference, I will look up a graduate-school mate of mine, whom I've not seen in decades and who is now a prominent Holocaust scholar, as well as some others with whom I've corresponded on various questions . . .

As an unprominent member of the "jewish lobby" I look forward to your reporr . It will help to further my claims against Germany and consequently significantly enhance the massive checks I receive from Berlin, much to the annoyance of overburdened taxpaying people in Arizona, California, Montana, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Idaho, Australia and the UK.

montgomery
Regular Poster

Postby montgomery » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:37 pm

Balmoral95 wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:My wife, trying to bring me into the 2000s, bought me an iPad, with a pen, specifically so that I can easily take notes at the conference, for such a reporr . . . LOL . . . I am quite excited about this conference, I will look up a graduate-school mate of mine, whom I've not seen in decades and who is now a prominent Holocaust scholar, as well as some others with whom I've corresponded on various questions . . .

As an unprominent member of the "jewish lobby" I look forward to your reporr . It will help to further my claims against Germany and consequently significantly enhance the massive checks I receive from Berlin, much to the annoyance of overburdened taxpaying people in Arizona, California, Montana, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Idaho, Australia and the UK.

What is an unprominent member?

nickterry
Regular Poster

Postby nickterry » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:22 pm

montgomery wrote:
Balmoral95 wrote:

What is an unprominent member?

You might want to calibrate your sarcasm detector.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:32 pm

And/or dispenser...

Lard, save me from your followers.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:12 am

nickterry wrote:
montgomery wrote:What is an unprominent member?

You might want to calibrate your sarcasm detector.

He does have a way with double entendres, though.

Denying-History
Veteran Poster

Postby Denying-History » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:04 am

List of new books:

-The "Hitler Myth": Image and Reality in the Third Reich Reissue Edition by Ian Kershaw
-On Stalin's Team: The Years of Living Dangerously in Soviet Politics by Sheila Fitzpatrick
-The Russian Revolution New Edition by Sheila Fitzpatrick
-The Final Solution: Origins and Implementation edited by David Cesarani
« The Terror here is a horrifying fact. There is a fear that reaches down and haunts all sections of the community. No household, however humble, apparently but what lives in constant fear of nocturnal raid by the secret police. . .This particular purge is undoubtedly political. . . It is deliberately projected by the party leaders, who themselves regretted the necessity for it. »
Joseph E. Davies

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:50 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:So far, Morgan's book on collaboration is another in a series of revisionist titles addressing the postwar national mythology that presented occupied countries as "nations of resisters." It is pretty good through the first few chapters - although it is more of an essay than a close evaluation of sources.

I don't agree with Morgan's argument but it is well made and difficult. Implicitly - and at times explicitly - he defends "collaboration" in the west as against "collaborationism" (out and out and full Nazification). One problem with his presentation is his neglect of any alternative dess to collaboration other than collaborationism (even DeGaulle) - which neglect gives his case for common sense inevitability, well, common sense and inevitability. More later.

nickterry
Regular Poster

Postby nickterry » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:24 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:So far, Morgan's book on collaboration is another in a series of revisionist titles addressing the postwar national mythology that presented occupied countries as "nations of resisters." It is pretty good through the first few chapters - although it is more of an essay than a close evaluation of sources.

I don't agree with Morgan's argument but it is well made and difficult. Implicitly - and at times explicitly - he defends "collaboration" in the west as against "collaborationism" (out and out and full Nazification). One problem with his presentation is his neglect of any alternative dess to collaboration other than collaborationism (even DeGaulle) - which neglect gives his case for common sense inevitability, well, common sense and inevitability. More later.

Other scholars distinguish between cooperation and collaboration.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:56 pm

Funnily, I was making the exact same point to my wife - lucky, ain't she? - whilst we were walking down Drottninggatan in Stockholm, explaining that Morgan's reasoning for his terminology - he rejects cooperation and accommodation to stick with collaboration - was more or less a non-event. And makes for a more difficult read.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:06 pm

wtf is an "alternative dess"?!?!?! I think I meant, "alternative ideas" LOL

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:23 pm

I think it's a goth thing.

Lard, save me from your followers.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:21 pm

Maybe that is what I meant!

Denying-History
Veteran Poster

Postby Denying-History » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:00 am

New:

-The Crimes of War: Guilt and Denial in the Twentieth Century
Bartov, Omer

-Behind the Facade of Stalin's Command Economy: Evidence from the Soviet State and Party Archives
Gregory, Paul

-From Purge to Coexistence Essays on Stalin's & Khrushchev's Russia
Dallin, D J

-Deadly Illusions: The KGB Orlov Dossier Reveals Stalin's Master Spy
Tsarev, Oleg

Still hasn't arrived:

-Horrors of War: Historical Reality and Philosophy
Tudjman, Franjo
« The Terror here is a horrifying fact. There is a fear that reaches down and haunts all sections of the community. No household, however humble, apparently but what lives in constant fear of nocturnal raid by the secret police. . .This particular purge is undoubtedly political. . . It is deliberately projected by the party leaders, who themselves regretted the necessity for it. »
Joseph E. Davies

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:06 pm

Finished Morgan - and I recommend the book highly. Apart from the caveat I mentioned above, Morgan does an excellent job assessing the dynamics of collaboration - why, its course, and pressures on it - across western and northern Europe. He breaks the book chronologically, discussing 1940-1941 as "collaboration with the grain" (when collaboration was intuitive, mutually beneficial, and in a sense easier) and 1942-1945 as "collaboration against the grain" (when - as the course of the war, public opinion, economic and labor issues changed and resistance emerged - collaboration held intact but with great difficulty and open breaches, including collaborators cooperating with the occupier and the resistance. Morgan sees the Jewish deportations (his discussion is excellent) and labor deportations as the two issues cutting hardest against the grain from the pov of collaborating officials and business leaders.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:07 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:Waiting on "Weimar and Nazi Germany 1918-39."

It was taking too long for this to become available. The library did have both volumes of Stephen Kotkin’s Stalin biography available. So, I checked out both at the same time which means I’ll be reading like a mad bastard during any free time I have for the next couple of weeks.

See ya later.... :D

Alright, so about 100 pages left in the first volume.

It’s a bit wordy but there’s a lot of useful information. Kotkin tracks (in very painstaking detail) how Stalin took advantage of situations that came up to drive out rivals. The main rival being Trotsky, of course.

What I found interesting is that Kotkin doubts the authenticity of Lenin’s testament. He notes that it was released at a time when Lenin’s health declined rapidly and the testament itself was allegedly written a few months before. This would’ve prevented Lenin from repudiating it.

I doubt I will even start the 2nd volume before it has to go back, I will set it up to check out again.

So, finished. I set up an automated checkout for the second volume and will start on it when it arrives.

Final verdict:

It's worth a read of you want to know more about Stalin's early life and the inner workings of the Bolsheviks. It's very detailed regarding Stalin's maneuvers to eliminate his rivals (and his friends) as threats to his power. The most interesting revelation to me is Kotkin's doubts about the Lenin Testament that argued for the removal of Stalin regarding his rude behavior.

I doubt I will buy it though I will read the third volume when it is available. I find I am looking forward to the second volume that details the period from 1929-1941. I think this volume will be more focused due to the smaller time frame.

I checked out the second volume again and hope to finish it this time.

Yes, just checked this out again.

Seriously going to finish it this time...LOL

“NKVD.”

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:42 pm

My wife is reading Beevor's book on the Battle of the Bulge. She loves his writing - and she's convinced me that I need to read something by Beevor. Recommendations?

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:45 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:My wife is reading Beevor's book on the Battle of the Bulge. She loves his writing - and she's convinced me that I need to read something by Beevor. Recommendations?

I liked his book “The Second World War.” I did have some issues with his section on the Holocaust (as always).

“NKVD.”

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:50 pm

Jeff B's selling it for 3 bucks, and for 9 dollars I can get his book on Berlin 1945, too . . . I'm going for it! (Thanks . .. )

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:53 am

Alright, so have these books on hold:

Weimar and Nazi Germany 1918-39
Active Studies
by Robert J. Carr

The SS Dirlewanger Brigade
The History of the Black Hunters
by Christian Ingrao
Phoebe Green

How Fascism Works
The Politics of Us and Them
by Jason Stanley

Vietnam
An Epic Tragedy, 1945-1975
by Max Hastings

Sword and Scimitar
Fourteen Centuries of War between Islam and the West
by Raymond Ibrahim
Victor Davis Hanson

The last two are a bit of an effort to branch out. Those are library books that I may push back back.

“NKVD.”

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:55 am

This is next in line, though:

SS Terror in the East: The Einsatzgruppen on Trial

I’m going to start that once I finish the book on Stalin.

“NKVD.”

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:05 am

Mulling these over:

Götz Aly
Cleansing the Fatherland: Nazi Medicine and Racial Hygiene

Architects of Annihilation: Auschwitz and the Logic of Destruction 1St edition by Aly, Götz, Heim, Susanne

Edward B. Westermann
Hitler's Police Battalions: Enforcing Racial War in the East (Modern War Studies (Paperback)) by Edward B. Westermann (2005-05-27)

Dr Caroline Sturdy Colls
Treblinka: Archaeological and Artistic Responses (Centre of Archaeology Book Series)

Nicholas Chare
Matters of Testimony: Interpreting the Scrolls of Auschwitz

Jadwiga Bezwinska
Amidst a Nightmare of Crime: Manuscripts of Prisoners in Crematorium Squads Found at Auschwitz

These are a definite:
Yitzhak Arad
The Operation Reinhard Death Camps, Revised and Expanded Edition: Belzec, Sobibor, Treblinka

Paul Hanebrink
A Specter Haunting Europe: The Myth of Judeo-Bolshevism

Lucjan Dobroszycki
The Holocaust in the Soviet Union: Studies and Sources on the Destruction of the Jews in the Nazi-occupied Territories of the USSR, 1941-45

If anyone has read these give me your opinion.

“NKVD.”

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:03 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:Mulling these over: . . . If anyone has read these give me your opinion.

Architects of Annihilation: Auschwitz and the Logic of Destruction 1St edition by Aly, Götz, Heim, Susanne - must read

Edward B. Westermann, Hitler's Police Battalions: Enforcing Racial War in the East - decent, informative (I read it 10 or so years ago)

Dr Caroline Sturdy Colls, Treblinka: Archaeological and Artistic Responses (Centre of Archaeology Book Series) - I haven't read this, but I am pretty sure it accompanies the 'Finding Treblinka' exhibition that was at the Wiener Library in 2016

Nicholas Chare , Matters of Testimony: Interpreting the Scrolls of Auschwitz - Chare & Williams is definitely worth reading; it is a close, literary influenced study of the mss

Yitzhak Arad, The Operation Reinhard Death Camps, Revised and Expanded Edition: Belzec, Sobibor, Treblinka - I will look at it against the 1980s edition sometime

Paul Hanebrink, A Specter Haunting Europe: The Myth of Judeo-Bolshevism - according to Amazon, "Delivery estimate: Monday, November 5, 2018 by 8 PM" - do you have a copy already?

Balmoral95
Veteran Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:36 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Jeff B's selling it for 3 bucks, and for 9 dollars I can get his book on Berlin 1945, too . . . I'm going for it! (Thanks . .. )

Stalingrad + Berlin, why not....

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:31 am

Kellner's diary is very interesting - its publication took 51 years, and is in itself an affecting, engaging story. I've post in the Bombing Campaign thread an early highlight on that issue, and already have read a number of his observations on Jewish policy. As with the air war, so to with Jewish issues: I will write something up when I've read more.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:02 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:Mulling these over: . . . If anyone has read these give me your opinion.

Architects of Annihilation: Auschwitz and the Logic of Destruction 1St edition by Aly, Götz, Heim, Susanne - must read

Edward B. Westermann, Hitler's Police Battalions: Enforcing Racial War in the East - decent, informative (I read it 10 or so years ago)

Dr Caroline Sturdy Colls, Treblinka: Archaeological and Artistic Responses (Centre of Archaeology Book Series) - I haven't read this, but I am pretty sure it accompanies the 'Finding Treblinka' exhibition that was at the Wiener Library in 2016

Nicholas Chare , Matters of Testimony: Interpreting the Scrolls of Auschwitz - Chare & Williams is definitely worth reading; it is a close, literary influenced study of the mss

Yitzhak Arad, The Operation Reinhard Death Camps, Revised and Expanded Edition: Belzec, Sobibor, Treblinka - I will look at it against the 1980s edition sometime

Paul Hanebrink, A Specter Haunting Europe: The Myth of Judeo-Bolshevism - according to Amazon, "Delivery estimate: Monday, November 5, 2018 by 8 PM" - do you have a copy already?

Don’t have the last yet, it’s something on the list. You will probably read it before I do so you owe us a reporr.

:D

“NKVD.”

montgomery
Regular Poster

Postby montgomery » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:37 pm

No doubt looking at different editions, years apart, would be enlightening. It would also serve as a good item for discussion on this forum. The ultimate would be to hear both the pro and con POV's on such a book.

Denying-History
Veteran Poster

Postby Denying-History » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:47 pm

-The Crimes of War: Guilt and Denial in the Twentieth Century

Contains good information on the Wehrmacht’s understanding and actions in the final solution and also good information on their war crimes in Serbia. The latter of which is an entry by Christopher Browning.
Joseph E. Davies

montgomery
Regular Poster

Postby montgomery » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:57 am

Books by Americans on war crimes just won't do. We need to read about war crimes committed by U.S. military personnell that have been committed in America's 39 or 40 wars of aggression since WW2. Especially egregious example is the criminal Iraq war that was promoted and waged against the Iraqi people, based on lies.

Denying-History
Veteran Poster

Postby Denying-History » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:04 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Goldstein & Goldstein, The Holocaust in Croatia...
PS for D-H: no reference to a gas chamber operating in Jasenovac.

Recently finished Horrors of War. Its one of the revisionist works mentioned in G&G's book, on the matter of Croatian revisionism. I just wish G&G focused a bit more on his claims with regard to the crimes against the Serbian population. Tudjman suggests at Jasenovac the death toll was a little under 30,000 (although from what wiki says he increased it to between 30-60,000) and the way Tudjman frames everything doesn't fit well with Butz ether.
Joseph E. Davies

Denying-History
Veteran Poster

Postby Denying-History » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:32 pm

Currently reading:

-Nankin daigyakusatsu no shōmei
Tomio Hora

-Behind the Facade of Stalin's Command Economy: Evidence from the Soviet State and Party Archives
Paul Gregory

Currently waiting on:

-From Purge to Coexistence Essays on Stalin's & Khrushchev's Russia
D J Dallin
Joseph E. Davies

Return to “Holocaust Denial”