General Books/Reading Discussion

Holocaust denial and related subjects.
Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Re: General Books/Reading Discussion

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:16 am

I’ve developed an interest in the postwar trials, might head in that direction when I’m done with the backlog of books I have.
‘I have not left anybody in the dark about the fact that this time, millions of adult men would not die, and hundreds of thousands of women and children would not be burnt or bombed to death in the cities, without the actual culprit, albeit by more humane means, having to pay for his guilt.’
Adolf Hitler
Final Will and Testament

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:39 am

I was looking forward to reading this book - Charlesworth, The 'Minor' War Crimes Trials: A Socio-Legal Investigation of Victims' Justice - but Amazon canceled my order due to non-availability.
"It was still at the stage of clubs and fists, hurrah, tala"

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:24 am

I found “The Forgotten Trials of the Holocaust” really good.
‘I have not left anybody in the dark about the fact that this time, millions of adult men would not die, and hundreds of thousands of women and children would not be burnt or bombed to death in the cities, without the actual culprit, albeit by more humane means, having to pay for his guilt.’
Adolf Hitler
Final Will and Testament

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:24 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Starting a collection of papers in Microhistories of the Holocaust which has a most interesting TOC. The book grew out of a 2012 conference at ENS in Paris. Some of the (for me) intriguing topics include family histories, the destruction of Thessaloniki's Jewish cemetery, Grabowski on Poland (again), slave labor for German aviation factories, Ostrów Mazowiecka in '39, first massacres in Romania, postwar Polish trials, and a case study for "the witness vs. the archive."

This is the one you mentioned....may need to add this to the reading lineup.
Adolf Hitler
Final Will and Testament

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:51 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:I found “The Forgotten Trials of the Holocaust” really good.

x2

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:11 pm

I highly recommend V Solonari's paper on Transnistria in the Microhistories collection; it's short but quite interesting when, after discussing perpetrator motivations and taxonomies, he gets into the attitudes of the spouses of Romanian shooters.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:15 am

I am heading to Germany and Sweden in a few days, for over a month. I won't be taking as much to read as usual as plans with friends will take precedence, along with some photography work I plan on doing. Here are the books I will be hauling along with me, all in dead-tree format:

* Kopstein & Wittenberg, Intimate Violence: Anti-Jewish Pogroms on the Eve of the Holocaust
* Litvak & Webman, From Empathy to Denial: Arab Responses to the Holocaust
* My Opposition: A Diary of Friedrich Kellner - A German Against the Third Reich
* Sebastian Hafner, Defying Hitler: A Memoir [thanks Balsamo!]
* Kallis, ed, The Fascism Reader [documents collection]
. . . and, for the first book I will have read since 2007 unrelated to our painful topic, Rick Wilson, Everything Trump Touches Dies: A Republican Strategist Gets Real About the Worst President Ever

I've got 6 books more on the occupation of France still to read - and also a shitload of stuff arriving this fall, and into the winter, all on the Holocaust, as posted previously:

* Philip Morgan, Hitler's Collaborators: Choosing between bad and worse in Nazi-occupied Western Europe
* Christian Ingrao, The Promise of the East, Nazi Hopes and Genocide, 1939-43
* Anthony McElligott, The Last Transport: The Holocaust in the Eastern Aegean
* Jacques Semelin, The Survival of the Jews in France: 1940-44
* Annegret Schüle , Between Persecution and Participation: Biography of a Bookkeeper at J. A. Topf & Söhne
* Giorgos Antoniou, The Holocaust in Greece
* Simon Levis Sullam, The Italian Executioners: The Genocide of the Jews of Italy
* Sara Bender, In Enemy Land: The Jews of Kielce and the Region, 1939-1946
* Gabriel Finder, Justice Behind the Iron Curtain: Nazis on Trial in Communist Poland (German and European Studies)
* Erno Munkácsi, How It Happened: Documenting the Tragedy of Hungarian Jewry
* Mary Fulbrook, Reckonings: Legacies of Nazi Persecution and the Quest for Justice
* Alex Kay, Mass Violence in Nazi-Occupied Europe

Also arriving, on related topics:

* Roger Griffin, Fascism
* Wolf Gruner, German Reich, 1933 – 1937 [document collection, VEJ1]
* Paul Hanebrink, A Specter Haunting Europe: The Myth of Judeo-Bolshevism

As I think about this, I believe that even my wife will find this excessive. Mr Bezos, well, he hasn't sent me a personal thank you note but I'm sure he will.
Last edited by Statistical Mechanic on Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:09 am

This is definitely on my list:
Paul Hanebrink, A Specter Haunting Europe: The Myth of Judeo-Bolshevism
Adolf Hitler
Final Will and Testament

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:20 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:This is definitely on my list:
Paul Hanebrink, A Specter Haunting Europe: The Myth of Judeo-Bolshevism

"Delivery estimate: Monday, November 5, 2018 by 8 PM"

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:26 am

Semi related, I will be attending an academic Holocaust conference this fall. Highlights include:

- Keynote Lecture Omer Bartov, Brown University
- Holocaust Memory in Poland - panel chaired by Jan Tomasz Gross, Princeton University
- The Afterlife of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising: 75 Years Later panel chaired by Marion Kaplan, New York University
- David P. Boder’s Interviews Revisited: Historical Reconsiderations and Educational Challenges in the Digital Age - panel
- What Constitutes Holocaust Testimony? The Boundaries of the Narratable - panel
- Intertwining and Intersecting Genocide and Mass Violence during World War II: Insights from Polish, Yugoslavian, Hungarian, and Russian - Territories - panel chaired by Raz Segal, Stockton University
- Perpetrator Descendants: An Interdisciplinary Panel

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:01 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Rick Wilson, Everything Trump Touches Dies: A Republican Strategist Gets Real About the Worst President Ever

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:09 pm

I am swapping out (right, who cares?) the collection of documents on fascism in favor of Ioanid, The Holocaust in Romania and Solonari, Purifying the Nation [on ethnic cleansing and the Holocaust in Romania]. I'll probably change my mind about travel reading three more times before departing :)

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:09 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:Waiting on "Weimar and Nazi Germany 1918-39."

It was taking too long for this to become available. The library did have both volumes of Stephen Kotkin’s Stalin biography available. So, I checked out both at the same time which means I’ll be reading like a mad bastard during any free time I have for the next couple of weeks.

See ya later.... :D

Alright, so about 100 pages left in the first volume.

It’s a bit wordy but there’s a lot of useful information. Kotkin tracks (in very painstaking detail) how Stalin took advantage of situations that came up to drive out rivals. The main rival being Trotsky, of course.

What I found interesting is that Kotkin doubts the authenticity of Lenin’s testament. He notes that it was released at a time when Lenin’s health declined rapidly and the testament itself was allegedly written a few months before. This would’ve prevented Lenin from repudiating it.

I doubt I will even start the 2nd volume before it has to go back, I will set it up to check out again.
Adolf Hitler
Final Will and Testament

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:Waiting on "Weimar and Nazi Germany 1918-39."

It was taking too long for this to become available. The library did have both volumes of Stephen Kotkin’s Stalin biography available. So, I checked out both at the same time which means I’ll be reading like a mad bastard during any free time I have for the next couple of weeks.

See ya later.... :D

Alright, so about 100 pages left in the first volume.

It’s a bit wordy but there’s a lot of useful information. Kotkin tracks (in very painstaking detail) how Stalin took advantage of situations that came up to drive out rivals. The main rival being Trotsky, of course.

What I found interesting is that Kotkin doubts the authenticity of Lenin’s testament. He notes that it was released at a time when Lenin’s health declined rapidly and the testament itself was allegedly written a few months before. This would’ve prevented Lenin from repudiating it.

I doubt I will even start the 2nd volume before it has to go back, I will set it up to check out again.

So, finished. I set up an automated checkout for the second volume and will start on it when it arrives.

Final verdict:

It's worth a read of you want to know more about Stalin's early life and the inner workings of the Bolsheviks. It's very detailed regarding Stalin's maneuvers to eliminate his rivals (and his friends) as threats to his power. The most interesting revelation to me is Kotkin's doubts about the Lenin Testament that argued for the removal of Stalin regarding his rude behavior.

I doubt I will buy it though I will read the third volume when it is available. I find I am looking forward to the second volume that details the period from 1929-1941. I think this volume will be more focused due to the smaller time frame.
Adolf Hitler
Final Will and Testament

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:03 pm

I recommend Intimate Violence for its rigorous approach and thought-provoking discussion.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:20 pm

Went to House of the Wannsee Conference today for about three hours. Fantastic place. Does a very good job explaining the conference and putting it into context, from details about the convening of the group to the bigger picture.

Return to “Holocaust Denial”