General Books/Reading Discussion

Holocaust denial and related subjects.
Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Re: General Books/Reading Discussion

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:34 pm

got into a cycle where I am working a lot in Photoshop on this that and the other, with deadlines,so reading is languishing . . .
Nazism conspired to create a sense of festival time. . . . Tragically for humanity, the party generating it was the type not associated with the coloured costumes of the Brazilian Carnival, but with the brown-shirted thuggery of the NSDAP. The contrast between the dance and the march, between the samba and the strains of the Horst Wessel Lied, points to the gulf separating a life-asserting community from a community which exists only by creating a demonized other. - RG '97

Kleon_I XYZ Contagion
Poster

Postby Kleon_I XYZ Contagion » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:07 am

I've read something interesting on H.G. Adler’s 1955 study, 'Theresienstadt 1941-1945: The Face of a Coerced Community'

The Coerced Community of Theresienstadt
H.G. Adler survived the Holocaust to write a monumental, meticulous study of the Nazi’s ‘model community,’ one of the first of its kind, in German. Why did it take so long to be translated to English?
[...]
Should you wish to know the average daily caloric intake from potatoes for children (168 calories) in Theresienstadt, you will find it here. Should you wish to know the names of the first council of elders at the ghetto’s founding in late 1941, as well as their duties, individual character traits, and nationality, you will find it here. Should you wish to learn about the sham bank set up in Theresienstadt, or the equally dubious café, post office, grocery and clothing store, you will find it here. You will also find samples of poems written by inmates, the titles of hundreds of lectures delivered, descriptions of the many concerts given, and a detailed account of the efforts made to dupe the International Red Cross when it inspected the ghetto in June 1944. And of course, if you wish to learn about the deportations and the fate of the 140,000 prisoners who passed through Theresienstadt (only 15 percent of whom survived), you will find that here as well.
http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-arts-an ... esienstadt

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:22 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:I'm currently reading "The Holocaust, a New History" by Doris Bergen. It's a bit of a "meh," she's an intentionalalist when it comes to the subject. I'm reading it to finish it out.

She's using the "diesel exhaust" crap for the Reinhard Camps....

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:21 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:I'm currently reading "The Holocaust, a New History" by Doris Bergen. It's a bit of a "meh," she's an intentionalalist when it comes to the subject. I'm reading it to finish it out.

I finally finished this today. Not worth the time or effort, don't bother.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:56 pm

Starting "A Year in Treblinka."

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:09 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:

I finally finished this today. Not worth the time or effort, don't bother.

Adler OTOH is a must-read, even if it has to be read with care (some of it is outdated as we saw in the Siegmund Rothstein thread - also for a comprehensive history it is lacking on SS policy and SS administration).
Nazism conspired to create a sense of festival time. . . . Tragically for humanity, the party generating it was the type not associated with the coloured costumes of the Brazilian Carnival, but with the brown-shirted thuggery of the NSDAP. The contrast between the dance and the march, between the samba and the strains of the Horst Wessel Lied, points to the gulf separating a life-asserting community from a community which exists only by creating a demonized other. - RG '97

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:16 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:Starting "A Year in Treblinka."

Actually, bounced that in favor of "Pursuit of Power," I needed a break.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:34 am

Blitzed : Drugs in Nazi Germany / Norman Ohler / Penguin Books / 2016 translation from German

This is a "pop book". The author discusses Hitler and Goering at length but I was interested in the use of drugs on soldiers.

Germany, prior to the war develops synthetic Methamphetamine. (speed) under the name Pervitin. It is sold over the counter until 1939. Drugs are promoted as "bad" by the Nazis and become controlled to civilians. Methamphetamine is issued to soldiers in the Invasion of France. Some German doctors say it is a wonder drug. Other German doctors say it is a dangerous addictive drug. Pervitin continues to be issued to the armed forces. The author discusses the addiction problem and gives some examples of amphetamine psychosis being diagnosed.

I don't think it is of great significance in the bigger picture, but I can see the author's point that early German enthusiasm for victories may have been somewhat drug induced and the later defeats may have seemed even worse as supplies dried up and withdrawals occurred.

The weirdest part of the book was discussing a punishment battalion in Sachsenhausen Concentration camp. The victims were forced to march to test alternative shoe materials. Near the end of the war these same victims were given bizarre combinations of synthetic cocaine and speed to see how long they could stay awake for. One bloke lasted four days marching. Poor man.

(The other odd bit was the intent to try find a "truth serum", which was not successful)

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:33 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:Picked up "A People's Tragedy" on the way to the airport. I'm sitting in the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport reading away.

Helped take my mind off a decidedly bumpy flight from Oklahoma City.

I may discuss some of the specific Russian aspects in the General History section and add to the Bolshevist thread here.

Or, I may throw a curveball and open a Russian thread here and randomly toss in the Bolshevist stuff in random threads throughout the forum....like in the "What are you listening to" thread.
:lol:

I completed this today.

I'll need some time to digest what I read and figure out what I want to talk about.

I will say that it lives up to the billing. Highly recommended for those who want a better understanding of what happened during the Russian Revolution and Civil War.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:36 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Volker Ullrich, Hitler: Ascent, 1889-1939 arrived from Amazon today; I am finishing up (translate: I've just started!) an old (2005!), rather long (nearly 1,000 page) book but will turn to Ullrich's new Hitler biography after that and let all y'all know what I think, when I do. It will take some time as I am progressing slowly with the big book and spending too much time learning Swedish.

I finally tracked down information on the second book:

"The first volume ends with Hitler’s 50th birthday in April 1939. The second volume, covering the eve of the Second World War to Hitler’s last days in his Berlin bunker, is due to be released in Germany in 2017."

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/bodley-head-buys-hitler-biography

So, with a release in Germany sometime this year, we might get the English translation in 2018? 2019?

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:27 pm

Or we can all learn German . . . :)

(Swedish is hard enough!)

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:58 pm

Nnnnnnnnooooooo!!!!!!!

:lol:

I barely have enough time to read everything I have backed up....I can't add a foreign language!!

Though, I've learned a little here and there, you kinda have to pulling up the German and English translations.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:32 pm

Swedish is like German. I helped someone translate some Swedish from a file for a friend, who, on receiving the translations, basically said, Duh, just like the German! Except it is sung, not spoken.

NathanC
Regular Poster

Postby NathanC » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:15 pm

A friend recently made available to me the following book: Beyond Justice: The Auschwitz Trial by Rebecca Wittmann. I've only started on it, but it's quite interesting. More as I go along.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:25 pm

It's good, I read it alongside Pendas, The Frankfurt Auschwitz Trial; I can no longer recall which I liked better, I think they were both good

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:23 pm

So this sucks. I am traveling to Sweden next month and have a biography of Wallenberg to read whilst there. As I’m there for almost a month I thought to branch out and read something off topic - you know, Sweden and the Holocaust and/or Sweden during WWII. I found 3 interesting-looking titles:

* Rudberg, The Swedish Jews and the Holocaust (Routledge Studies in Second World War History) $137.78
* Ekman, Amark, Toler, & Kendall, Sweden's Relations With Nazism, Nazi Germany & the Holocaust (Stockholm Studies in History $636.78
* Levine, From Indifference to Activism: Swedish Diplomacy and the Holocaust 1938-44 (used) $120.46

Oh well, there’s a new, large academic bookstore near where I will be staying . . . I will poke around there.

Kleon_I XYZ Contagion
Poster

Postby Kleon_I XYZ Contagion » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:35 am

On general issues, Der Spiegel removes 'antisemitic' book from bestseller list: Finis Germania by Rolf Peter Sieferle has been withdrawn from influential list over ‘right-wing extremist’ content
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... eller-list

Susanne Beyer, Der Spiegel’s deputy editor, said Finis Germania had been omitted because the magazine considered the book – posthumously published by a small house, Antaios, known for its far-right leanings – to be “rightwing extremist, antisemitic and historically revisionist”.
[...]
In the second half, Finis Germania takes a more cynical turn. Sieferle in effect accuses the Jewish people of offloading their own historical guilt on to the German people after the Holocaust. He writes: “The Jews’ guilt for the crucifixion of the messiah was never recognised by them. The Germans, who recognise their merciless guilt, have to disappear from the surface of real history.

Sieferle goes on to describe Auschwitz as “the last myth in a thoroughly rationalised world”. This is a highly controversial passage in a country in which Holocaust denial remains punishable by law, even if the book then goes on to define a myth as “a truth beyond discussion” rather than an untruth.

The historian Gustav Seibt, a book critic for Süddeutsche Zeitung, told German radio: “I can find little else [in the book] other than the age-old antisemitic topos of Jewish vengefulness and mercilessness. And that’s not a new idea – it is not a meaningful provocation, but a denigration in a very old and sinister manner.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:11 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:Starting "A Year in Treblinka."

Actually, bounced that in favor of "Pursuit of Power," I needed a break.

Finished this today. A good overall survey of European history from 1815-1914.

I learned some interesting things about the German SPD Party I will try and add later.

Going back to "Yiddishland."

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:28 pm

Putting Yiddishland aside, I have it for another week.

I started "Into That Darkness" by Gitta Sereny. I really like it so far, as a journalist Sereny knows how to write.

As for Yiddishland, it's interesting but the stories are starting to blur together. Also, I don't like Alain Brossat and Sylvie Klingberg's writing style. It may be the format is messed up on my Kindle but the paragraph breaks are few and far between.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:56 pm

That is a good book - her book on Speer, not so much.

I'm almost through Bauer's The Death of the Shtetl.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:03 pm

You said her book on Speer wasn't any good, I'm avoiding it.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:26 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:Putting Yiddishland aside, I have it for another week.

I started "Into That Darkness" by Gitta Sereny. I really like it so far, as a journalist Sereny knows how to write.

As for Yiddishland, it's interesting but the stories are starting to blur together. Also, I don't like Alain Brossat and Sylvie Klingberg's writing style. It may be the format is messed up on my Kindle but the paragraph breaks are few and far between.

"Darkness" is very good, so far.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:15 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:Putting Yiddishland aside, I have it for another week.

"Darkness" is very good, so far.

I have a complaint, not a big one but still....
Sereny is claiming a million Jews died at Treblinka, surpassing that of Auschwitz I, II and III. The book even claims that Treblinka was the largest extermination camp.

I realize that she used Polish figures that are really out-of-date now, this is why I don't have major issues with it. I'm also not far enough to see if this was updated anywhere in later editions.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:39 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:I realize that she used Polish figures that are really out-of-date now, this is why I don't have major issues with it. I'm also not far enough to see if this was updated anywhere in later editions.

I don't know how that works. Does the publisher have a contractual right to add footnotes saying a fact has changed? Is is a case by case basis according to publishing contracts? Do academics sign a different standardised contract for their academic papers? I really don't have a clue on this.

I read the Sereny's 1996 Albert Speer book years ago and didn't pick up on these errors as I wasn't knowledgeable on the matter. I suppose it doesn't matter as it was not the main issue of the book.
:D

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:17 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:I realize that she used Polish figures that are really out-of-date now, this is why I don't have major issues with it. I'm also not far enough to see if this was updated anywhere in later editions.

I don't know how that works. Does the publisher have a contractual right to add footnotes saying a fact has changed? Is is a case by case basis according to publishing contracts? Do academics sign a different standardised contract for their academic papers? I really don't have a clue on this.

I read the Sereny's 1996 Albert Speer book years ago and didn't pick up on these errors as I wasn't knowledgeable on the matter. I suppose it doesn't matter as it was not the main issue of the book.
:D

I don't know, I'm not checking footnotes. I'll get through the book and see if there are any corrections.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:34 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:

There is no standard like this. Publishers' contracts very; there need not be reprint of a work at all, new editions are often covered in the original contract but not always, the author is generally responsible for content and often, in Sereny's day almost always, would hold copyright. Sereny was not a trained historian or academic but worked as a journalist; the value of Into the Darkness in my recollection lies in the interviews, not her historical material.

Balmoral95
Regular Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:04 pm

Always forget this thread is here.

"The Devil's Diary: Alfred Rosenberg and the Stolen Secrets of the Third Reich" by Wittman and Kinney. (ISBN 978-0-06-231902-9)

Pretty much a turd, really. Essentially about the search for Rosenberg's diary which disappeared during the IMT. Ultimately found to have been purloined by Robert Kempner, Nuremberg prosecutor. The diary itself turns out to be 400 handwritten pages covering a 10 year period of pretty uninteresting stuff, certainly no revelations.

"Blitzed: Drugs in the Third Reich" by Norman Ohler. (ISBN 978-1-328-66379-5)

File under "fun". A good beach read that can be knocked off in 1.5 hours. Medically interesting to a degree, he does a better job than Irving's book on the same topic. Some glaring historical background errors and flights of novelistic fill mar it.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:11 pm

My library has "Blitzed," when I get a chance I'll read it.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:28 pm

Agree with the comments of others - Blitzed is a really fun book - and not as bad as you'd think, it's worth the quick read.

Balmoral95
Regular Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Agree with the comments of others - Blitzed is a really fun book - and not as bad as you'd think, it's worth the quick read.

The "unfun" part for me is I feel compelled to re-read Irving's book for comparative purposes. :lol:

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:43 pm

Yeah, I can't make myself read Irving. I found some PDF's of his books on-line, I just couldn't do it.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:03 pm

Balmoral95 wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:Agree with the comments of others - Blitzed is a really fun book - and not as bad as you'd think, it's worth the quick read.

The "unfun" part for me is I feel compelled to re-read Irving's book for comparative purposes. :lol:

LOL

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:05 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:Yeah, I can't make myself read Irving. I found some PDF's of his books on-line, I just couldn't do it.

I'm with ya. Drips and drabs, a lot of the trial transcripts. His website from time to time.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:07 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:Yeah, I can't make myself read Irving. I found some PDF's of his books on-line, I just couldn't do it.

I'm with ya. Drips and drabs, a lot of the trial transcripts. His website from time to time.

Me, too. I can take bits and pieces. Reading "Lying about Hitler" told me everything I needed to know.

Balmoral95
Regular Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:01 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:

Me, too. I can take bits and pieces. Reading "Lying about Hitler" told me everything I needed to know.

Okay, to spare y'all from Irving I took it upon myself this afternoon to re-read it... some very interesting differences between the two books.

Balmoral95
Regular Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:05 am

Back to books: Rosenberg's "Myth of the 20th Century".... I'm sure everyone here has read it......cover to cover, of course...

It's pretty interesting.... like Milton's "Paradise Lost", Lenin's "Collected Works" (in 6 Volumes), [Pro tip for undergraduates: J. Stalin, "Foundations of Leninism", 200 pages is all you need to know].

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:26 am

Balmoral95 wrote:Back to books: Rosenberg's "Myth of the 20th Century".... I'm sure everyone here has read it......cover to cover, of course...

I think it was a best seller that no one ever read. I'll bow to consensus and never read it......lol

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:33 am

If anyone's interested, you can find a copy on-line..

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:47 pm

Hitler and Stalin by Alan Bullock.....I picked this one up a couple of months ago.
I'm reading this one during lunch at work. One interesting bit, Stalin and Hitler were both in Vienna in 1913. It was Stalin's longest trip outside the Russian Empire, he was there in January and February of 1913. Bullock speculates (with no proof) that the two might have brushed up against one another while there.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:14 pm

Getting through "Into That Darkness." I've got Bullock for work, I might move to "Death Dealer" next or release one of my library books from hold.

Return to “Holocaust Denial”