General Books/Reading Discussion

Holocaust denial and related subjects.
Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Re: General Books/Reading Discussion

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:14 am

Yeah, it had IIRC some half decent stuff but overall it was lacking, too much Hitler simply as an opportunist, downplaying Nazi ideology - from memory. That same term we read Mosse's The Crisis of German Ideology, which was far more interesting. I can't remember what else we read. LOL
Nazism conspired to create a sense of festival time. . . . Tragically for humanity, the party generating it was the type not associated with the coloured costumes of the Brazilian Carnival, but with the brown-shirted thuggery of the NSDAP. The contrast between the dance and the march, between the samba and the strains of the Horst Wessel Lied, points to the gulf separating a life-asserting community from a community which exists only by creating a demonized other. - RG '97

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:37 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:I can't remember what else we read. LOL

Yeah, there are periods that are a blur.... :D

I read Joachim Fest’s biography of Hitler about the same time. I found Fest damn near unreadable, it was difficult to get through. Recent Hitler biographies are much better.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:43 am

My excuse is better: that was '72 - I think LOL
Nazism conspired to create a sense of festival time. . . . Tragically for humanity, the party generating it was the type not associated with the coloured costumes of the Brazilian Carnival, but with the brown-shirted thuggery of the NSDAP. The contrast between the dance and the march, between the samba and the strains of the Horst Wessel Lied, points to the gulf separating a life-asserting community from a community which exists only by creating a demonized other. - RG '97

NathanC
Regular Poster

Postby NathanC » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:57 pm

I just picked up the first volume of Volker Ullrich's Hitler Biography (Ascent), since I heard a lot of good things about it here. More as I go along.

By the way, does anyone know any good biographies of Patton or histories of the North African Front? Alan Heath recently stated that Patton refused or hesitated to release North African Jews from interment because he feared they would "Conspire" against him, and because he felt it would help his relationship with the Arabs. I know that Patton was an Antisemite (he called DPs "Garbage) and that a US envoy stated that the US's treatment of the DPs was no better than the Germans "Except for the fact that they weren't being exterminated", and I generally trust Alan Heath, but I would like to look more into this part of Patton's history and the North African front.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:37 pm

NathanC wrote:I just picked up the first volume of Volker Ullrich's Hitler Biography (Ascent), since I heard a lot of good things about it here. More as I go along.

I think you’ll like it, it’s very good. I can’t wait until the second book comes out.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:28 am

I’m on the last 50 or so pages of Alan Bullock’s book, “Hitler and Stalin, Parallel Lives.” There also several appendices that look interesting, I’ll go through these and see what is worth sharing.
I’ve marked several areas to share, hopefully I’ll get a chance to add things to different threads or open some new ones.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:33 am

I have “The Holocaust by Bullets” arriving on November 13th. In the meantime I have a book on Prussia I’m going to start, “Iron Kingdom, the Rise and Downfall of Prussia.”

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:40 am

I also still have this sitting in line:
“Chronicle of the Lodz Ghetto”

I haven’t been in the mood for it, I needed a break from the subject. I will get back to it and add to the Chelmno thread.

On a personal note, this is my 6,000th post.

:lol:

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:21 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:I have “The Holocaust by Bullets” arriving on November 13th. In the meantime I have a book on Prussia I’m going to start, “Iron Kingdom, the Rise and Downfall of Prussia.”

I’ve pushed “The Holocaust by Bullets” back a week, I’m really into “Iron Kingdom.” Depending on how far I get I may push it back further.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:55 pm

minor aside: Siemens endorses Hett's conclusions on the Reichstag fire (that is, that a special Göring operation, carried out by a small SA team torched the Reichstag - partly based on forensic analysis of the conflagration), not the thesis of Kellerhoff, Mommsen, Evans, Tobias (the single torch theory, which holds that van der Lubbe started the fire all by his lonesome). I've read (and posted here) about Hett's book and have Kellerhoff's in my to-read stack sitting right next to me as a I type . . . )

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:19 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:I have “The Holocaust by Bullets” arriving on November 13th. In the meantime I have a book on Prussia I’m going to start, “Iron Kingdom, the Rise and Downfall of Prussia.”

I’ve pushed “The Holocaust by Bullets” back a week, I’m really into “Iron Kingdom.” Depending on how far I get I may push it back further.

I know that we don’t discuss much general history on this thread but I’m really enjoying “Iron Kingdom.”

One of the things that helped early Prussia (I’m just going to call it that even though technically that came later) was the shifting series of alliances made during the 1700th Century between Prussia and the Hapsburg’s, shifting to France, then Sweden, then Poland and then back again. At first this was by necessity, later it became calculated.

The earliest efficient government modeled itself after the Dutch. The most unique achievement made by the Prussian State was made by the military. While not perfect, the system of rotating conscription amongst the Kingdom while building up a reserve allowed Prussia to reduce its reliance on foreign conscripts and mercenaries.

It’s quite interesting.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:31 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:I’m on the last 50 or so pages of Alan Bullock’s book, “Hitler and Stalin, Parallel Lives.” There also several appendices that look interesting, I’ll go through these and see what is worth sharing.
I’ve marked several areas to share, hopefully I’ll get a chance to add things to different threads or open some new ones.

Finished this (finally). I had more pages than what I thought.

Continuing with “Iron Kingdom.”

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:18 am

I'm not arguing that Siemens' book is unworthy in this post in the Brayard thread - it's definitely worth reading. Without writing one of the summaries I sometimes post, I should say that the book is an informative, comprehensive history of the SA. I found Siemens' general discussion of the SA between 1934-1945 especially intriguing and very useful - he argues against the SA as an irrelevant circle of beer buddies, seeing that the organization, whupped and its ambitions checked, re-oriented to provide a variety of supports for the regime, from education and socialization in the Nazi outlook to training and preparation for the military, and also coercive policing of the population. The SA had particular strength in "borderlands," Austria, Sudetenland, and Memelland. Siemens is very strong on how the SA was a visible representation of a particular view of male power and domination. OTOH some parts of the book frustrated me, especially the pre-January 1933 period, where I wanted much more detail. I wanted even more, especially at a detail level, on the SA organizational structure and leadership - as well as the organization's relations with Führer, Party, and Nazi officialdom. Also, Siemens could have used more in-depth case studies/examples, as he does get into some very interesting stuff. I wish the thing had been about double the length it is - but, then again, I am not his publisher :)

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:08 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:I’m on the last 50 or so pages of Alan Bullock’s book, “Hitler and Stalin, Parallel Lives.” There also several appendices that look interesting, I’ll go through these and see what is worth sharing.

Finished this (finally). I had more pages than what I thought.

Continuing with “Iron Kingdom.”

Quite a fascinating book. Oddly, considering the reputation that Prussia had, by the end of his reign Frederick II established religious freedoms for his subjects, worked on codifying laws to make them applicable to everyone (even intervening on behalf of a miller over one of his nobles), banished torture, narrowed the amount of crimes punishable by death, ordered those sentenced to die to be strangled before going to the “wheel” (a particularly gruesome death) and furthered the enlightenment in his kingdom.

Now, I’m not going to idealize him too much. He invaded Silesia on a very slim pretext and was only saved from complete destruction by the death of the Czarina. He essentially banished his wife from the court for no particular reason, other than a sort of petty resentment of being forced to marry her. He tried to escape from Prussia as a Crown Prince, causing the death of a dear friend.

The author makes the point that Frederick II was the last of a series of rather impressive Hohenzollern monarchs, they declined after him.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:44 pm

Having finished a not-good book on the Dachau trial program, I'm now reading Raz Segal, Days of Ruin: The Jews of Munkács During the Holocaust; Munkács at the time was a large town in Subcarpathian Rus (annexed to Hungary following the Munich agreement, an ethnically diverse region to the south of Galicia; about 50% of Munkács' population consisted of Jews by WWI, and during the early years of WWII the area saw significant influx of Polish Jews fleeing embattled Poland.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:46 pm

Decided to pick this up when I get a chance:
Dachau and the SS.
The Dachau Concentration Camp, 1933 to 1945 with CD (If I can find it)

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:10 pm

It's well worth reading - Dillon, right? It's not a proper history of Dachau but more an essay on the Dachau model/system in the KL world.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:42 pm

Yes, I’m setting up a list.

I’m trying to keep it down, I made up my mind to read everything I’ve got on-hold or sitting around that I haven’t read yet but I start thinking of books I’ve wanted for awhile.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:16 pm

I am in deep {!#%@} on reading. All over the map and way overwhelmed :)

For late fall and my long trip to Sweden, some of it to be spent in a stuga in the middle of nowhere, with lots of time for reading. I plan to take with me:

* a bio of Wallenberg
* 4 books on the concept and development of fascism
* and if they arrive some of the books I've ordered from the Auschwitz Museum (The Architecture of Crime. The Security and Isolation System of the Auschwitz Camp; Voices of Memory 11. Soviet Prisoners of War in Auschwitz; Voices of Memory 9. Jews in Auschwitz; London has been informed… Reports by Auschwitz Escapees; The Origins of the Birkenau Camp in the Light of the Sources - these have been shipped but packages from Poland take a long time to arrive in the states)

but basically I'm screwed. I've lost track even of what I want to read! LOL

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:46 pm

What books on the concept and development of fascism?

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:58 pm

Sternhell, The Birth of Fascist Ideology
Griffin, ed., Fascism (sources)
Kallis, ed., The Fascism Reader (sources)
Griffin, A Fascist Century: Essays
Payne, A History of Fascism, 1914-1945

(they are actually five in the stack to-be-read)

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:32 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Sternhell, The Birth of Fascist Ideology
Griffin, ed., Fascism (sources)
Kallis, ed., The Fascism Reader (sources)
Griffin, A Fascist Century: Essays

(they are actually five in the stack to-be-read)

That one looks good.

Well, they all look good.

I may add some of those as well.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:35 pm

thanks, it is often cited - I am looking forward to reading all these books - I thought Griffin's little book was great

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:37 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:thanks, it is often cited - I am looking forward to reading all these books - I thought Griffin's little book was great

Payne is available, I’m adding to my list. I’m looking into Sternhall as well.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:04 pm

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:01 am

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:22 am

I will start Raz Segal, Genocide in the Carpathians: War, Social Breakdown and Mass Violence 1914-1945 tomorrow.

Kleon_I XYZ Contagion
Poster

Postby Kleon_I XYZ Contagion » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:02 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:

Danke!!!!

Payne is perfect!

Probably well-known, but just in case:

- The Anatomy of Fascism by Robert O. Paxton
https://libcom.org/files/Robert%20O.%20 ... pf%20(2004).pdf

For neofascism and fascism after 1945, I don't know if this one has been translated in English, and it's a little old, but it's a good one and it helped me a lot because you can learn what's going on in almost every European country:

- L'Europe en chemise noire : Les extrêmes droites en Europe de 1945 à aujourd'hui by Pierre Milza
http://www.fayard.fr/leurope-en-chemise ... 2213613437

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:26 pm

Kind of replying here to Jeffk's comment in the European Nationalism thread on his recent reading and interest in the USSR, I received Mark Levene, The Crisis of Genocide, Annihilation: The European Rimlands 1939-1953 yesterday; on its way (arriving this afternoon) is Dulic Tomislav, Utopias of Nation: Local Mass Killing in Bosnia & Herzegovina, 1941-42.

I want to recommend, along with the two Segal books mentioned upthread (will add a comment on them later) another very short thing I recently read: Ulrich Herbert, Search & Research, Lectures and Papers Vol 22: The Murder of the Jews and Popular Consent: German Society during the Nazi Dictatorship.

My plan is to intersperse reading on the nature and concept of fascism with historical books.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:38 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote: Mark Levene, The Crisis of Genocide, Annihilation: The European Rimlands 1939-1953

Sounds like Snyder’s “Bloodlands,” am I right on that?

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:43 pm

Looks like that is a two-part series:
Mark Levene
Devastation: Volume I: The European Rimlands 1912-1938 (Crisis of Genocide)

Annihilation: Volume II: The European Rimlands 1939-1953 (Crisis of Genocide)

If you’ve already said that, apologies.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:04 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote: Mark Levene, The Crisis of Genocide, Annihilation: The European Rimlands 1939-1953

Sounds like Snyder’s “Bloodlands,” am I right on that?

Not sure, I never finished Bloodlands, I didn't much like it. I will report on Levene for sure. It's well reviewed.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:05 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:Looks like that is a two-part series:
Mark Levene

It is, and I didn't. If I like vol II, my plan is, to work backward to vol I! LOL

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:08 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:Looks like that is a two-part series:
Mark Levene

It is, and I didn't. If I like vol II, my plan is, to work backward to vol I! LOL

Vol II is cheaper....that’s a point in its favor.

:D

I may look at it as a purchase.

Return to “Holocaust Denial”