General Books/Reading Discussion

Holocaust denial and related subjects.
Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Re: General Books/Reading Discussion

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:35 pm

and now a moment of comic relief: in a KPD (Communist Party, for those whose avatar is not Che Guevara :)) educational pamphlet from 1932, we can read this:
Who is Hitler? Hitler was until recently a governmental administrator in Braunschweig. He is leader of the Nazis. The party, which under the instructions of the capitalists, beats up workers.

The first note refers to the ruse under which Hitler was appointed IIRC a Braunschweig councilor posted to Berlin or some such - on gaining his post Hitler immediately asked for and received a leave of absence - in order to qualify for German citizenship. The last point relies on the KPD's equation of fascism with monopoly capitalism in its aggressive, moribund phase.
. . . I mean Negative Capability, that is, when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason—Coleridge, for instance, would let go by a fine isolated verisimilitude caught from the Penetralium of mystery, from being incapable of remaining content with half-knowledge. - John Keats, 1817

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:12 pm

. . . I mean Negative Capability, that is, when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason—Coleridge, for instance, would let go by a fine isolated verisimilitude caught from the Penetralium of mystery, from being incapable of remaining content with half-knowledge. - John Keats, 1817

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:37 pm

I finished Swett's book on violence in Red Berlin during the early '30s. Four points she makes are

1) the extent to which some of the political violence - the day to day street fighting, barroom brawls, assaults after political meetings, turf defense - were grassroots and particularly (her study looks most closely at the KPD) how KPD members and supporters paid little heed to directives and policies from the party; she shows that KPD policy on the use of violence during this period was uncertain but mostly against the kind of street fighting that developed; and she shows that grassroots violence was not very programmatic, not ideological, and often not sanctioned by the party's leadership and policy;

2) the quantity of male grievance over a feeling of lost masculinity, power in the family and community, success in work and life in general channeled into both left and right paramilitary expression;

3) the NSDAP and KPD members and supporters in working-class Berlin neighborhoods - that is, the radicals - fairly frequently switched allegiances; and

4) how the almost ubiquitous violence - involving only 1000s of people, not 10s of 1000s - became a norm, to some extent accepted even by courts as the manner in which politics were done, and how the widespread use of violent methods led to results counter to the aims of those involved, especially on the left; her argument isn't simply that the right-leaning authorities cracked down on the left but a) that the violence itself - aiming to maintain and enhance neighborhood autonomy - brought the opposite, that is, all manner of interventions from a variety of officials (from police to welfare agencies) into neighborhood life and b) that the acceptance of political violence came to help the far right (the NSDAP was viewed as a respectable party and its promise of order was taken seriously, the violence fostered yearning for order, violent solutions when employed by the Nazis in power were more accepted given the pervasive nature of violence in the preceding years)

Swett depicts the SPD as backward-looking and unable to adapt to the conditions and changes of the Depression years; the KPD organizationally and politically comes off as minimally effective and "threatening" compared to the party's rhetoric and reputation (the KPD could not, according to Swett, control its membership and was compelled to respond to grassroots radicalism throughout the period).

I will be reading more about this period and the topic; Swett almost completely ignores larger-scale violence related to election campaigns, mass meetings, and the like, which IMO to some extent undermines her arguments.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:26 pm

one additional point, which (I don't know the history of the KPD that well) may relate to lingering influence of Rosa Luxemburg, which Swett makes is that for the KPD the favored tactic to which they tried, not very successfully, to get their base to favor was mass action, in particular in the form of mass strikes, not the kind of violence that overtook Red neighborhoods in Berlin during the early '30s . . . the KPD, according to Swett, was not capable even of leading such mass action (in part due to the scattering effect of unemployment and the druthers of its followers), let alone able to bring off the feared Bolshevik-style revolution . . .

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:21 pm

I'm reading a bit more, in between photography work, on the battles for the streets in late Weimar Germany. Also sitting next to me is a short stack of books on the nature of fascism. However, the big news is this: the arrival from Jeff Bezos within the next several days of 1) Jasch, The Participants: The Men of the Wannsee Conference and 2) Rudberg, The Swedish Jews and the Holocaust (Routledge Studies in Second World War History). I also have Kellerhoff, The Reichstag Fire: The Case Against the Nazi Conspiracy. Therefore, my reading schedule has become uncertain :)

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:33 am

Pretty psyched about The Participants. Each chapter is a biographical sketch and evaluation of one of the Wannsee Conference participants written by a scholar expert in that man’s life and works. The volume is introduced by Mark Roseman, author of a book on the conference, writing on the biographical approach. To give a flavor of the thing, Browning has the chapter on Martin Luther, Jasch (author of a study of Stuckart) gets, well, Stuckart, Gerwarth (Heydrich’s biographer) has Heydrich, Stangneth (Eichmann Before Jerusalem) writes on Eichmann, and Klein (of Angrick & Klein) takes who else but Rudolf Lange - and so on. I will report on the book in the monster Wannsee thread.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:52 am

I picked up a copy of "A Nation on Trial, the Goldhagen Thesis and Historical Truth" by Norman Finkelstein. It was his reply to "Hitler's Willing Executioners."

I thought it might be interesting and it's from the library. Sadly, it did not live up to expectations so I'm sending it back.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:33 am

Or ... it did meet expectations :)

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:56 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Or ... it did meet expectations :)

About as much as anything that told me what I already knew in the most boring way imaginable.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:07 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:This will be of interest to Denying-History:

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Famine-Stalins-War-Ukraine/dp/0385538855

Probably ask for this for Christmas.

Actually, available through my library. I got an electronic copy of this tonight.

Denying-History
Frequent Poster

Postby Denying-History » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:13 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:

Actually, available through my library. I got an electronic copy of this tonight.

My copy arrived on October 10th. I finished it a few nights ago and its pretty solid.
« Lies written in ink cannot disguise facts written in blood. »
- Lu Xun

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:52 pm

Started reading today Pontus Rudberg, The Swedish Jews and the Holocaust (2017).

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:57 am

from the Wannsee thread:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:. . . one point that stands out . . . is the emigration stop order, which came in October 1941 . . .

By coincidence I read this in the introduction to Rudberg's book on Swedish Jews and the Holocaust, where the author establishes a periodization of German Judenpolitik in order to set context for policy and response changes in Sweden: 1) initial persecution to Kristallnacht in November 1938, 2) Kristallnacht to start of the war, when Sweden set a new visa requirement for entry to the country, 3) "outbreak of war until the German ban on emigration in October 1941 that definitively marked the shift from persecutions, terror and forced migration to genocide," and 4) emigration ban through end of war. (p 18, no citation)

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:23 am

Denying-History wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:

My copy arrived on October 10th. I finished it a few nights ago and its pretty solid.

Working my way through this, the background is very useful.

Denying-History
Frequent Poster

Postby Denying-History » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:35 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Denying-History wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:

I honestly couldn't stand it, the background I was already familiar with... was hoping for some new documents as well. The only new piece for me was that Black listing nearly effected 50% of Ukraine and the October 29th document which isn't that strong. It honestly could use better evidence.
« Lies written in ink cannot disguise facts written in blood. »
- Lu Xun

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:46 am

When I get some time, I will post some thoughts from Rudberg on . . .

1. Jewish responses to the situation in Germany in 1933 and implications for deniers' Judah Declares War nonsense
2. what Swedish Jewish Jews knew and understood about what the Germans were doing to Jews in Germany and in the German sphere
3. emigration halt order, more specifically a couple cases where Swedes could and couldn't help persecuted Jews

I wouldn't exactly recommend this book, The Swedish Jews and the Holocaust, as it is very narrow in its focus (and very pricey): Swedish Jewish responses to the Holocaust, but starting with the year 1933 and responses to German persecution of the Jews - that said, it is really a detailed, well researched, and well argued book. I enjoyed it a lot.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:14 am

Denying-History wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Denying-History wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:

I honestly couldn't stand it, the background I was already familiar with... was hoping for some new documents as well. The only new piece for me was that Black listing nearly effected 50% of Ukraine and the October 29th document which isn't that strong. It honestly could use better evidence.

It’s good for someone who doesn’t know the history and it was good as a reminder.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:46 am

I'm now reading a book, Beating the Fascists?, on the KPD and political violence in Germany during the 1920s and 1930s, by Eve Rosenhaft.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:11 am

Rudberg includes sections covering what Swedish Jews knew of the persecutions of German Jews for the periods 1933 through 1938, 1938 through the start of the war, September 1939 through September 1941, and finally October 1941 through the end of the war. The final two periods are divided by the emigration-stop order (I’ll post on that later) in October 1941 (“the shift from persecutions, terror and forced migration to genocide”). Here I will note that the Swedish Jews were well connected and followed the details of the persecution of German Jews closely during the 1930s and early years of the war. What I want to focus on in this post, however, is what the Swedish Jews learned of the genocide during 1941-1943.

It would not be until November 1939 that Judisk Tidskrift (one of the major Jewish newspapers in Sweden) first reported on German actions against Jews in Poland, including arrests of Jews, slave labor, shootings of Jews, and torching of synagogues. By year’s end Judisk Tidskrift “published an overview of the situation for Jews in different countries, with statistics relating to the remaining Jews in Germany and accounts of the situation in the Lublin area,” where beginning in October large numbers of Jews from East Upper Silesia (Katowice), Mährisch-Ostrau in Protectorate, and Vienna were being sent (the article gave the figure of 60,000 Jews sent to the region - a report made by Heydrich on 30 January 1940 said that overall 78,000 Jews had been deported to Nisko-Lublin by that time). In December 1939 Judisk Krönika, another Swedish Jewish newspaper, published a survey of the situation in Poland, Germany, the former Czechoslovakia, and Hungary – reporting murders of leading Jews in Poland, Jewish flight to the Soviet Union, synagogue burnings, the creation of the Łódź ghetto, and a small number of massacres of Jews in small towns. In an article published in February 1940 Judisk Krönika reported on the famous Chełm-Hrubieszów death march. Subsequent articles during the year, and in 1941, reported on the sealed Warsaw ghetto as well as conditions in France, including Vichy’s anti-Semitic laws and conditions in the Gurs internment camp. Rudberg concludes that, although these reports were far from complete, “they did provide a surprisingly accurate picture of the nature of German terror against the Jews.” (pp 163-165)

One source on which Swedish Jews relied for information was Hicem; with its focus on emigration to Palestine, Hicem had helped fund the MFST’s work with chaluzim and contributed to the organizations’ relief fund. But after the German offensive in the west, the Swedish Jews lost all contact with Hicem. (pp 167-168)

As more reports about the genocide (Rudberg mentions Babi Yar and the Warsaw deportations) reached the Allies, “for a long time the news was not accepted and the full implications were not understood” but in the neutral states it was becoming clear “that only a few Jews in Nazi-occupied Europe would survive the war.” Reports about deportations of Jews from Germany and the Netherlands came to the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs. “In [Judisk Krönika] the progroms, deportations, and incarceration in ghettos were reported in detail and could be followed month by month . . .” For example, starting in September 1942 the Judisk Krönika began a series entitled “The War of Extermination Against the Jews”; an anti-Nazi newspaper in the city of Göteborg reported on the gassings at Chełmno in October. Auschwitz, first mentioned as a KL in April 1942, was in November 1943 identified in the press as an extermination site. The Swedish press covered the deportations of Norwegian Jews, starting November 1942, as part of the genocide.

However, during most of 1942, despite the amount of information reaching Swedish Jews, the systematic nature of the extermination actions was not yet apparent or understood. Swedish Jewish leaders had learned, for example, about the deportations in late 1941 to Kaunas, Riga, and Minsk – and the deaths of many of the deported Jews. One leader received information from Łódź on the fate of Jews deported to the ghetto – he worked out that the mortality rate in Łódź ghetto must be about 20% in 8 or so months - and assumed that for those “transported further” the mortality rate must be “even higher.” By the end of July 1942 Swedish Jewish leaders were reporting that “we have not had any information from Eastern Galicia – the area around Lemberg [Lwow] – whatsoever, for South East Poland – the district around Lublin – a few letters have arrived, partly because some Jews who had been transported there have been moved further. The contact with Warsaw that used to function so well has also deteriorated lately.” Nor was it known to where Jews from Belgium, the Netherlands, and France were being taken.

Even so, Swedish Jews, through their relief organizations, tried zealously, and increasingly without luck, “to trace deported Jews and sent them food, clothes, and medicine” and worked with Jewish organizations in other countries to gather information. By summer/fall, the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs knew of “killings of Jews in Belgrade, deportations from France, killings of Jews in the Baltic region, and even accounts of gassings”; in November 1942 the Swedish legation in Berlin withheld information from Swedish Jewish leaders it had received in Berlin about the deportations from Warsaw during summer and early fall 1942; exactly what details were known to the Swedish diplomats and withheld is not clear but it seems that Ehrenpreis, head of the MFST, was told that the Warsaw ghetto had “been evacuated for building road.” Ehrenpreis seems to have believed the cover story.

Citing Levine, Rudberg deems that the Foreign Ministry had “a clear picture” of German Jewish policy by this time but that Jewish organizations didn’t. But these organizations had hints: they wired small amounts of money to missing individuals to test whether the wires reached them. In late 1942 a Swedish Jewish relief committee learned, when its messages to the Krakow Jews were returned without having been received, that the Krakow Jüdische Unterstützungsstelle had been dissolved. Further, at this time the Swedish Jews were informed by its bank that the Germans not longer permitted packages to be sent to Jewish individuals in the General Gouvernment. Still, requests for aid continued to come to relief organizations of Swedish Jews from Jews in Poland and elsewhere. And Swedish Jews tried maintaining contact with Jewish leaders where Jews were being transport – “like Warschau [Warsaw], Piaski, Izbica, Chelm, Belsyzyce” so that packages could be sent to the needy.

The Swedish Jews were well informed about the planned deportations of Jews from Bulgaria – and were involved in the intervention made by Swedish King Gustav V that was part of the international effort to call those plans off in early 1943. (About 11,000 Bulgarian Jews had been turned over to the Germans before King Boris stopped the Bulgarian deportations.)

But this is not what I wanted to post about – or, rather, it is a preface to the main point of this post. Which is a report made by Solomon Adler-Rudel, of the Jewish Agency, who visited Swden to meet with Swedish Jewish leaders and made a report on his visit in spring 1943; Adler-Rudel spent 8 weeks in Sweden, starting in February. Rudberg has studied Adler-Rudel’s notes for a lecture he gave in London three weeks after returning from Sweden:

Baltics 1941 Adler-Rudel related that what he learned from the Swedish Jews confirmed earlier reports about the genocide in the Baltic countries:
I have seen documents, I have met eye-witnesses, listened to people who have fled from Riga and Kovno, and there has been a chance to compare the accounts with people who have given accounts in Switzerland, and there is no doubt that none of the news we had received were exaggerated. . . . [T]he fact that the 300,000 Jews today no longer exists in the Baltic countries, is indisputable evidence

Adler-Rudel further discussed Jews “deported from Germany, Austria, and Czechoslovakia to the Baltic countries [who] have met the same fate as the Baltic Jews.” Adler-Rudel late wrote a letter to Max Warburg of the Joint explaining more about this: “I did not get much material regarding Poland . . .” (see below) but “practically all the Jews who were living in the Baltic states – roughly 300,000 – have been murdered.”

Western Europe Adler-Rudel learned that the situation in western Europe was not as bad as the situation in the occupied East. He said that camps for the Jews existed in France, Belgium and the Netherlands and that large deportations had taken place. But, he said, “there have to be a very large number of people who have been saved with the help of non-Jews in Holland and France, or who lives with false papers.”

Poland Based on what the Swedish Jewish leaders told him, Adler-Rudel report that “Not much can be said about Poland, because it appears that what we know from the press is true.” Still: mail to and from Jews in Poland was problematic, but with the help of non-Jews some letters were getting out of Poland; the letter described how Jews were moved into camps, moved again, and sometimes moved a third time – “Then they disappear, and you never receive an answer.” Adler-Rudel surmised that Czech and German Jews were often sent to Theresienstadt (“no doubt the best camp” but “the problem is that people do not stay there very long, but, in particular young people are sent further to other camps in the East”).

Germany Within Germany, Adler-Rudel wrote, “There are practically no Jews left.” Adler-Rudel’s visit to Sweden coincided with the Fabrik-Aktion, news of which reached Sweden while he was there:
At the end of 1942 there were 35,000 [Jews] in the entire Reich, including Austria and Sudetenland. In January it did not happen much, but at the end of February, at a meeting with the SS it was decided to liquidate the problem entirely, and on the 27th and 28th, after being interrupted on the 1st of March, the riazza continued on the 2nd, around 18,000 Jews were taken away from their homes and workplaces and were deported.

Adler-Rudel heard in Sweden that the deportations were carried out in the open and that there had been public protest, including by the Catholic and Protestant churches. In his later letter to Warburg, Adler-Rudel expanded on his lecture notes: he assumed that about 12,000-15,000 Jews remained in Germany, 5,000-6,000 in mixed marriages and as many as 8,000 in hiding. Adler-Rudel also wrote, “many thousands [of] Jews from Austria and Germany have been taken there [Poland?] for the purpose of being slaughtered. As to Greater Germany . . . , it is practically ‘Judenrein’.” (pp 196-198)

Nothing wildly new here - but problems for Monstrous' postwar forgery of documents fabricating the mass murder of Jews in the Baltics (witnesses and evidence for these murders were available in Sweden in early 1943) - and the pressing question where were the Jews from across Europe whom the Swedish Jews tried so hard to reach. (next: emigration issues post-October 1941, including the Norwegian and Danish actions and some other cases)

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:58 am

I ordered the following titles this evening from the Auschwitz Museum:

The Architecture of Crime. The Security and Isolation System of the Auschwitz Camp
Voices of Memory 11. Soviet Prisoners of War in Auschwitz
Voices of Memory 9. Jews in Auschwitz
London has been informed… Reports by Auschwitz Escapees (want the usual suspects in print form)
The Origins of the Birkenau Camp in the Light of the Sources (new sources on the beginning of gassings - very interested in this one)

(With cost of shipping from Poland, the total price for the 5 titles comes to about what an average recently published book runs on Amazon.)

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:40 pm

An expanded and revised edition of Arad's BST is to be published 1 April 2018.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:17 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:An expanded and revised edition of Arad's BST is to be published 1 April 2018.

Excellent news.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:06 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:An expanded and revised edition of Arad's BST is to be published 1 April 2018.

I don’t see it on Amazon yet, where did you see it?

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:13 am

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:20 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Amazon LOL

https://www.amazon.com/Operation-Reinha ... =holocaust

Well, crap. I apparently didn’t look hard enough, it just kept reminding me that I already own it it.

:mrgreen:

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:21 am

That has never stopped me LOL

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:35 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:That has never stopped me LOL

The problem is I’m a verified buyer and I own their Kindle edition, it’s very useful but Amazon gets stubborn when I try and find revised editions.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:36 am

Kindle edition for this one is 12.99...

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:39 am

I don't have a Kindle but I order doubles of titles now and then - and often donate them to the "Hackenholt Foundation" AKA The Hacko.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:41 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:I don't have a Kindle but I order doubles of titles now and then - and often donate them to the "Hackenholt Foundation" AKA The Hacko.

I think we should get a good mailing address for Shred Blue....I’m sure he’d appreciate the donations.

:lol:

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:51 am

He can read?

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:19 am

That’s a good point. Maybe he could just use them to prop up a desk...

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:01 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:

The sad thing about getting things from the library is if I can’t finish books before the due date I lose them and have to get back in line.

It’s a busy time of year so I’m not sure I’m going to finish this one in time. I’m going to read this during lunch, at the gym tonight and try and finish tonight. I’ve put it back on hold but I’m now third in line, observations will have to wait until I get it back.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:44 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:

The sad thing about getting things from the library is if I can’t finish books before the due date I lose them and have to get back in line.

It’s a busy time of year so I’m not sure I’m going to finish this one in time. I’m going to read this during lunch, at the gym tonight and try and finish tonight. I’ve put it back on hold but I’m now third in line, observations will have to wait until I get it back.

Ha!!! Finished!!! With hours to spare!!!!!!
I’ll save observations for when I get it back.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:44 pm

Now I need to get back to work.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:18 pm

If The Trump Show wouldn't keep interrupting, I'd finish Rosenhaft's book on the KPD during Weimar (it is very interesting, actually, and certainly changes how I view the KPD in that period). Next up: Daniel Siemens, Stormtroopers: A New History of Hitler's Brownshirts. It looks good, at first flip-through (over 400pp, more than half on the years after the Night of the Long Knives), and I will try, if Trump (or photo-work) doesn't intrude, to post highlights.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:20 am

I'm now about 60 pp into Siemens' book - going more slowly than I had hoped, given some photography projects I have underway. The book has good information but is not well edited and seems to me to have a bit of this, that and the other but also to be full of gaps and to jump from one idea to the next in a scattershot way. Useful for me to read, given the information, in that I don't know this history that well but I am not counting on a strong argument on some of what he promises . . . we shall see.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:54 am

I’m now working on the last couple of chapters of “Hitler and Stalin, Parallel Lives” by Alan Bullock.....at least I’m trying to. My children won’t leave me alone.... :D

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:57 am

I read Bullock's biography of Hitler ... in college ... which was ... never miiiiiiind!!!!!

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:02 am

Yeah, I did, too. This is much better.

Return to “Holocaust Denial”