Excavations at Sobibór Extermination Camp

Holocaust denial and related subjects.
Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Re: Excavations at Sobibór Extermination Camp

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:40 pm

"World peace is certainly an ideal worth striving for; in Hitler's opinion it will be realizable only when one power, the racially best one, has attained complete and uncontested supremacy. That can then provide a sort of world police, seeing to it at the same time that the most valuable race is guaranteed the necessary living space. And if no other way is open to them, the lower races will have to restrict themselves accordingly."

- Rudolf Hess, letter, 1927

Jeff_36
Persistent Poster

Postby Jeff_36 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:51 pm

HE'S BBBBAAAACK! :D

Jeff_36
Persistent Poster

Postby Jeff_36 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:54 pm

The fact that Himmler referred to it as SS-Special Unit Sobibor is telling. No mention of "transit" or "hovercraft" anywhere.

Jeffk 1970
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:59 pm

Nice to have you back.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:22 pm

:hmm: Pfft, drive-by post... :roll:

Spoiler:

Nooooooooooooooo, don't let it be!!!

nickterry
Regular Poster

Postby nickterry » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:02 pm

written by yours truly.

Jeffk 1970
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:10 pm

nickterry wrote:

written by yours truly.

I read it earlier. When I get a chance I'm going to spend some time on the links in your article.

Thanks for posting it, I know I'll be seeing replies from deniers in the near future.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:24 pm

Yes, thanks to Nick for straightening out so quickly, and clearly, the screaming headlines and somewhat wild text in the tabloids.
"World peace is certainly an ideal worth striving for; in Hitler's opinion it will be realizable only when one power, the racially best one, has attained complete and uncontested supremacy. That can then provide a sort of world police, seeing to it at the same time that the most valuable race is guaranteed the necessary living space. And if no other way is open to them, the lower races will have to restrict themselves accordingly."

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:34 pm

Jeff_36 wrote:

The fact that Himmler referred to it as SS-Special Unit Sobibor is telling. No mention of "transit" or "hovercraft" anywhere.

Am not sure about what I bolded^. If I understand correctly, it can obviously be inferred but is not stated explicitly as such?
http://holocaustcontroversies.blogspot. ... ments.html wrote:• 14 Uhr: Start von Cholm mit Sonderzug zum SS-Sonderkommando

• 15-16 Uhr: Besichtigung des SS-Sonderkommandos

The official designation for Sobibor was SS-Sonderkommando Sobibor; the camp was located in Chelm county, often renamed Cholm by the Germans. Thus, three separate Nazi sources confirm Himmler's visit to Sobibor in early 1943, two of which pinpoint 12 February 1943 as the exact date.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:36 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Yes, thanks to Nick for straightening out so quickly, and clearly, the screaming headlines and somewhat wild text in the tabloids.

My thoughts exactly. Thanks for posting them! :-P

Jeff_36
Persistent Poster

Postby Jeff_36 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:38 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Jeff_36 wrote:

Am not sure about what I bolded^. If I understand correctly, it can obviously be inferred but is not stated explicitly as such?
http://holocaustcontroversies.blogspot. ... ments.html wrote:• 14 Uhr: Start von Cholm mit Sonderzug zum SS-Sonderkommando

The official designation for Sobibor was SS-Sonderkommando Sobibor; the camp was located in Chelm county, often renamed Cholm by the Germans. Thus, three separate Nazi sources confirm Himmler's visit to Sobibor in early 1943, two of which pinpoint 12 February 1943 as the exact date.

"Sonderkommando" means "special unit"

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:42 pm

Jeff_36 wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:
Jeff_36 wrote:

"Sonderkommando" means "special unit"

Yeah, but "Sobibor" apparently is not mentioned. Even thought that is what was meant.

nickterry
Regular Poster

Postby nickterry » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:46 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Jeff_36 wrote:

Yes, inferred. There was no other SS-Sonderkommando in the vicinity of Chelm/Cholm, this is what Sobibor was called in documents from the same time-frame, and we know from another source that Himmler definitely visited Sobibor in early 1943 without knowing the exact date. AFAIK this was Himmler's only visit to the Lublin district in the relevant time-frame (before the spring 43 letter about Wirth's promotion), the full Dienstkalender would confirm that beyond all reasonable doubt.

Jeffk 1970
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:30 am

The archeologists also found the escape tunnel that the inmates tried to dig:

http://forward.com/news/breaking-news/1 ... eath-camp/

I thought I read that the archeologists found the cremation area but I can't find it.

Jeff_36
Persistent Poster

Postby Jeff_36 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:02 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:The archeologists also found the escape tunnel that the inmates tried to dig:

September 1943 IIRC was when it was dug

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:37 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:The archeologists also found the escape tunnel that the inmates tried to dig:

I thought I read that the archeologists found the cremation area but I can't find it.

What cremation area are you asking about? If it's the crematorium, that seems to be marked in this image: http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/photo ... 82-10.html

(Thanks to Nessie for posting the link upthread.)

Jeffk 1970
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:22 am

scrmbldggs wrote:

What cremation area are you asking about? If it's the crematorium, that seems to be marked in this image: http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/photo ... 82-10.html

(Thanks to Nessie for posting the link upthread.)

It was a description of the ground. They could tell where the fire was and how it affected the area.
I'm going to try and find it.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:37 pm

Two colleagues brought this find to my attention: discovery by Haimi/Mazurek’s team of a pendant at Sobibór likely having belonged to 14-year-old Karoline Cohn, who was deported from Frankfurt, Germany, to Minsk in November 1941, when she was 12, and then possibly from Minsk to Sobibór on one of the last transports to the death camp (September 1943, at the time of the liquidation of the Minsk ghetto) (it is possible too that Karoline died in Minsk but that a Minsk deportee carried the pendant to Sobibór).

The pendant, resembling one known to have belonged to Anne Frank, also born in Frankfurt, was found where a building stood along the Himmelstrasse, the path leading to the Sobibór gas chambers. As these are the only two pendants of this sort, researchers are also pursuing a familial relationship of some sort between the Franks and Cohns. Read more:

”Who Was Karoline Cohn?”

Here is an article on this find with more background on the excavations at Sobibór.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:55 pm

From the article^
Archaeologists uncovered a building near the former "Pathway to Heaven" and, in the building's foundation, discovered some of the victims' personal belongings, Yad Vashem said Sunday in the statement.

Researchers believe that the victims may have dropped the items - including the triangular pendant - which fell through the building's floorboards to the ground, where they were buried for decades.

Could have been the place where they had to surrender those belongings.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:14 pm

A bit more on time frames: The Sobibór revolt took place 14 October 1943; Arad lists the Minsk ghetto-liquidation deportations as occurring 18-22 September 1943 - other sources have the deportations commencing a day or two earlier than this IIRC. One of these transports would have carried Sasha Pechersky, who would lead the revolt, from Minsk to Sobibór and, as I've argued, very possibly Eric Hunt's Treblinka Dusche-Meister, Heinz Rosenberg, who in all likelihood went to Sobibór and not ever to Treblinka (explained here and here).

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:57 am

scrmbldggs wrote:From the article^
Archaeologists uncovered a building near the former "Pathway to Heaven" and, in the building's foundation, discovered some of the victims' personal belongings, Yad Vashem said Sunday in the statement.

Researchers believe that the victims may have dropped the items - including the triangular pendant - which fell through the building's floorboards to the ground, where they were buried for decades.

Could have been the place where they had to surrender those belongings.

women's undressing hut (0:50)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVh1ZTq4ssM&feature=youtu.be

Jeffk 1970
Perpetual Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:05 pm

Roberto posted this on RODOH, I can't see where this is added to any comment here:
http://sobibor.info.pl/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Report-by-Y.Haimi-Autumn-2013.pdf

Return to “Holocaust Denial”