It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:23 pm

Yeah, he sure likes to... use words. Unless he's singing. :lol:
Lard, save me from your followers.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:15 pm

So Giuliany thinks women who get nekkid in front of cameras are despicable. When will he be banned by Melanie's hubby?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:16 am

Until now, no one knew what MAGA really stands for - Make Asbestos Great Again!

(In other news, Melanoma seems to be playing a much bigger role than expected. Wasn't it Wolff who said she sits in on meetings and is the brain of the couple? And her request for someone "clean" apparently also helped getting lapdog Pence into the game. I wouldn't be surprised if she also had a direct line to Vladie. :heh:)

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:59 am

Last Saturday we saw a flea market at a road stop (park, toilets, vending machines) - so we stopped to stretch our legs. And no {!#%@} - one of the vendors had MAGA hats. No, I wasn`t tempted - not even a little.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Post by gorgeous » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:15 am

he's up in the polls...will be re-elected...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Post by JO 753 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:19 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:his favorite architect has folded his tents and stolen away into the night, just when all those Trump Tower projects were being looked into. Curioser and curioser!
Fone call:

Trump: "Scott! They're after my arkitect now!"

Pruitt: "Thats bad. It'll take sumthing BIG. How about if I leak my meeting with the Kochs?"

Trump: "Thats worth 5 minits. Not good enuff."

Pruitt: "Hold on there, Donny! I got it on video and I tell them they can drill in the Grand Canyon! Sining paperz and everything."

Trump: "GREAT!!! Scott, my man, youv earned a bonus! Youre gunnu take sum serious heat for the next few months, but hang in there. Trust me it will all be worth it after this Prezident thing iz over.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:19 pm

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:07 pm

Aaaaaawwwww, I think he’s afraid the adults will hurt his precious feelings.
Asked to explain why they hate Jews, anti-Semites contradict themselves. Jews are always showing off; they are hermetic and secretive. They will not assimilate; they assimilate only too well. They are too religious; they are too materialistic, and a threat to religion. They are uncultured; they have too much culture. They avoid manual work; they work too hard. They are miserly; they are ostentatious spenders. They are inveterate capitalists; they are born Communists. And so on.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Unlimited_Oracular_Guidance

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:13 pm

JO 753 wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:his favorite architect has folded his tents and stolen away into the night, just when all those Trump Tower projects were being looked into. Curioser and curioser!
Fone call:

Trump: "Scott! They're after my arkitect now!"

Pruitt: "Thats bad. It'll take sumthing BIG. How about if I leak my meeting with the Kochs?"

Trump: "Thats worth 5 minits. Not good enuff."

Pruitt: "Hold on there, Donny! I got it on video and I tell them they can drill in the Grand Canyon! Sining paperz and everything."

Trump: "GREAT!!! Scott, my man, youv earned a bonus! Youre gunnu take sum serious heat for the next few months, but hang in there. Trust me it will all be worth it after this Prezident thing iz over.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't know anything about quantum mechanics, but I know what I like.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:15 pm

Latest analysis of the Trump Trade War from Project Syndicate. I dunno. Sometimes Trump appears to make sense, IF he's telling the truth about the tariffs imposed on American imports in Canada, Mexico, and Europe. But I don't know the facts. What is Trump suppressing?

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:19 pm

If what I read is correct, he might get more than a lecture at the G7. He might get ostracized. That, of course, will only solidify his domestic base even more. MAGA!! America First!!! Fortress America!!!!

And the Democrats are giving him a boost with Kim by insisting that he has to get rid of all NK nuclear weapons. That plays right into Trump's hands. In the negotiations, he can claim it's the Democrats who are being the Bad Cop in this transaction. He'd like to offer a better deal, but just can't do it because of those Democrats. All the while complaining about their "interference " in his prerogatives as head of government and letting the GOP know that he's really the tough negotiator, not the Democrats.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:59 pm

I'm still expecting RT to eventually release a photobomb, showing it a threesome. While Xi is watching it all happening live, including Dumpy's bathroom habits. :-P

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:15 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:Latest analysis of the Trump Trade War from Project Syndicate. I dunno. Sometimes Trump appears to make sense, IF he's telling the truth about the tariffs imposed on American imports in Canada, Mexico, and Europe. But I don't know the facts. What is Trump suppressing?
Interesting summary of Trumps trade position. All I got from it is that it is mostly completely unworkable and where it could work will cause as much or more damage to the USA economy as it does to the others. I don't see any positive spin to it as you suggest.

So, Trump makes no sense and the only thing Trump is suppressing is the truth of its negative impacts to USA?

What am I missing?
Last edited by bobbo_the_Pragmatist on Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:19 am

Bad habit - looking at the line of mostly smart-looking G7 leaders, only big orange is flapping in the breeze. He even dresses the part...

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:59 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:Latest analysis of the Trump Trade War from Project Syndicate. I dunno. Sometimes Trump appears to make sense, IF he's telling the truth about the tariffs imposed on American imports in Canada, Mexico, and Europe. But I don't know the facts. What is Trump suppressing?
I can't read that because I'm not a member. What is he saying about the tariffs?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:02 am

So, what news is there from the G7 that isn't about Trump? I haven't been able to find any, and I don't read the stuff I can find because it's all about Trump rather than the summit.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:36 am

Last NOT TRUMP G7 tidbit I got was that Merkle was trying to put together an "American Plan" as to what the Europeans could do in face of all Trumps threats and possible actions. I'm trying to think of a nice "Brexit" sounding term for exiting the USA.

Who thought the Third World War would be started by the USA?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:46 am

Gord wrote:
I can't read that because I'm not a member. What is he saying about the tariffs?
Not in the link, but Trump is claiming (among other things) that Canada imposes a 300% tariff on US dairy products. Is that true? I haven't had time to Google any of this and check up on his claims, but it seems unlikely. If it IS true, then it seems to me Trump has a valid point.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:48 am

And there's great news on the inflation front---if you're a fan of inflation. From the Washington Post:
Peter Hooper wrote:Before the ACA, hospital inflation generally averaged above 4 percent as hospitals raised fees to cover the cost of uninsured patients. Post-ACA, with increased insurance coverage, hospital inflation fell below 2 percent , contributing to low inflation overall. But in the past six months — as Republicans attempted to roll back the ACA — hospital inflation has soared to an annual rate of 6 percent.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:02 pm

Well, here's some of the information I was looking for, on a government website:
Although Canada eliminated tariffs on all industrial and most agricultural products imported from the United States under the terms of NAFTA, tariffs and tariff-rate quotas (TRQs) remain in place on dairy and poultry tariff lines. Canada announced the elimination of MFN tariffs on baby clothing and athletic equipment (valued at C$76 million annually) in its 2013 federal budget. Canada proposed to permanently eliminate tariffs on mobile offshore drilling units in its 2014 federal budget.

But there's more to it. Canada, probably just like the US, tries to keep some control over invasive species:
Canada’s Seeds Act generally prohibits the sale or advertising for sale in Canada or import into Canada of seeds of a variety that is not registered in the prescribed manner. The purpose of variety registration is to provide government oversight to ensure that seeds meet health and safety requirements and that information related to the identity of the variety is available to regulators to prevent fraud. There are concerns that the variety registration system is slow and cumbersome.
And, although the figure of 300% isn't exactly a lie, it's also not the WHOLE truth. That tariff applies only to imports above the quota:
Canada uses supply-management systems to regulate its dairy, chicken, turkey, and egg industries. The regime involves production quotas, producer marketing boards to regulate price and supply, and tariff-rate quotas (TRQs) for imports. Canada’s supply-management regime severely limits the ability of U.S. producers to increase exports to Canada above TRQ levels. Under the current system, U.S. imports above quota levels are subject to high tariffs (e.g., 245 percent for cheese, 298 percent for butter).
What else Trump is concealing may be revealed by looking at the existing US tariffs on Canadian goods. That's where I'm headed next.
Last edited by Upton_O_Goode on Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:18 pm

Well, I'm an amateur here, but to my unpracticed eye, it does appear that Trump has a point. Like Canada, the US has import quotas, such as the following, on cheddar cheese (since Trump mentioned cheese):
The aggregate quantity of Cheddar cheese and cheese and substitutes for cheese containing, or processed from Cheddar cheese, the foregoing goods entered under subheadings 0406.10.24, 0406.20.31, 0406.20.65, 0406.30.24, 0406.30.65, 0406.90.08 and 0406.90.76 in any calendar year shall not exceed the quantities specified in this note (articles the product of Mexico shall not be permitted or included under the aforementioned quantitative limitation and no such articles shall be classifiable therein).

Quantity (kg)

Australia 2,450,000

Canada 833,417

Chile 220,000

EU 27 1,313,000

New Zealand 8,200,000

Other countries or areas 139,889

Any country 100,000
Am I correct in supposing that these are absolute limits, and any more than these amounts from the countries listed would simply not be allowed into the US? If so, what's the big deal about a TARIFF on imports above a quota? Would it be better if Canada simply prohibited them?

I'm way over my head in this stuff. C'mon Oleg, I'm depending on you, now that Stat Mech has left this thread. Can you explain this?

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:03 pm

Stat Mech left the thread? Say it isn’t so... just a sabbatical maybe? I learned so much from his posts.

As for absolute limits on imports - surely the US has some too. Immigration of course, but manufactured goods and agricultural products too?

Here in Japan - under pressure to import US rice, even though we have a glut of the stuff, we do import it. But then we store it in a humongous warehouse until it is no longer edible, and then release it for animal feed. Maybe Canada could do the same with US cheese? Surely there is a northern lake that could hold a few score years of the stuff and far enough from humanity that the rats wouldn`t cause a problem.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:58 pm

TJrandom wrote:...under pressure to import US rice...then we store it in a humongous warehouse until it is no longer edible, and then release it for animal feed...
You mean rice cakes, don'tcha. :afdb:

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:28 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote: Can you explain this?
This is a pretty good analysis.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:13 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Who thought the Third World War would be started by the USA?
Most of the planet, including a good percentage of US university students.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:17 am

Gord wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Who thought the Third World War would be started by the USA?
Granted........but how long ago did that notion start? Would anyone really place it in Nobel Peace Prize Winner Barack Obama's administration?

I know: Drones. But killing the worlds poor doesn't usually start a World War...........

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:37 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Gord wrote:
Granted........but how long ago did that notion start? Would anyone really place it in Nobel Peace Prize Winner Barack Obama's administration?

I know: Drones. But killing the worlds poor doesn't usually start a World War...........
Oh hell yeah. Probably before Reagan. Certainly most of the world thought at one point or another that Reagan was trying to start WWIII.

Maybe fewer people thought it would start during Obama's presidency, but we all knew he had 8 years, tops, before someone else would replace him.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:41 am

Gord.... really? I don't like Regan much, but my dregs of memory is that he did not want another war. He defeated the USSR by ECONOMIC PRESSURE....not war. Could be a fine line or two in there....but "Star Wars" is all about defense....with the acknowledgement that with a complete Defense, we could offer first strikes.....but still, on its face, not a WarHawk position.

............but I didn't follow politics back then. Not now either..... just pop media.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:30 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote: Can you explain this?
This is a pretty good analysis.
Thanks. This means those Canadians have the TEMERITY to protect small family farms, in defiance of the Sacred Free Market, which as we know, exists in agriculture only where there are huge agribusinesses that can force the government to subsidize them at the taxpayers' expense, such as in....oh, I don't know...the United States? According to the link, American farmers aren't angry at the Canadians; they'd just like to get a similar deal themselves.

On the other hand, they too aren't everybody's favorite people. HL Mencken's essay The Husbandman is an extended blast at their grasping, selfish, and arrogant qualities.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:52 am

Gloomy economic forecast from a professional. But take heart. Hussman has a terrible record of failed prophecies.

What really interests me in this story is the second graphic it contains. You can read the history of the US Presidency since World War II, very nearly, in that graph. The correlation between Democratic Presidents and upswings in wages as a fraction of GDP and between Republican Presidents and downswings in wages as a fraction of GDP is nearly perfect. Only the Carter Presidency fails to fit the model, and it lasted only four years. People forgive Republicans for increasing inequality, but not Democrats.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:57 am

yep, it's a serious threat to Big Argo to have other countries (like the entire EU) protect prices for medium-sized dairy farmers.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:14 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:Gloomy economic forecast from a professional. But take heart. Hussman has a terrible record of failed prophecies.

What really interests me in this story is the second graphic it contains. You can read the history of the US Presidency since World War II, very nearly, in that graph. The correlation between Democratic Presidents and upswings in wages as a fraction of GDP and between Republican Presidents and downswings in wages as a fraction of GDP is nearly perfect. Only the Carter Presidency fails to fit the model, and it lasted only four years. People forgive Republicans for increasing inequality, but not Democrats.
It’s because the Republicans figured out that if they play to patriotism and religion it excuses their behavior.
Asked to explain why they hate Jews, anti-Semites contradict themselves. Jews are always showing off; they are hermetic and secretive. They will not assimilate; they assimilate only too well. They are too religious; they are too materialistic, and a threat to religion. They are uncultured; they have too much culture. They avoid manual work; they work too hard. They are miserly; they are ostentatious spenders. They are inveterate capitalists; they are born Communists. And so on.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:33 pm

Seems our brave hero is showing Kim how strong he is by picking a fight with nonhostile friends and allies. That'll do it...

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:14 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Seems our brave hero is showing Kim how strong he is by picking a fight with nonhostile friends and allies. That'll do it...

And he's playing the whiny victim again. Everybody was supposed to stand up and cheer for him as he "bravely" (according to his master Putin) goes out to meet the Korean Goliath, armed only with his slingshot. Navarro's remark that there is a "special place in Hell" for Trudeau is beyond the pale of civilized discourse. How can these guys get away with trashing our nearest neighbor that way, while defending Putin to the last bunker? Trump has no obligation to be nice; everybody is supposed to cheer for him, no matter how big an {!#%@} he repeatedly proves himself to be.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:19 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:yep, it's a serious threat to Big Argo to have other countries (like the entire EU) protect prices for medium-sized dairy farmers.
Indeed, as only 2% of the US population consists of small farmers, we can easily afford to subsidize them. But of course, it's big agribusiness that soaks up most of the largesse distributed by Congress in return for campaign contributions from Tyson Foods, Monsanto, and their ilk.

If we could support farmers the way the French and the Canadians do, perhaps we could then branch out and protect factory workers and retail employees with good minimum-wage legislation and legal protection for unions. It would be a start on the long road back to a decent society.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:28 pm

Monsanto should be enjoying less headaches now, having been bought up by Bayer.

BTW, I hope Trudeau will enjoy tormenting Navarro, his idol and all of the GOP swamp slime. :-P

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:24 pm

The Milk river (I am not making this up), is just perfect for this looming dairy trade war between the US and Canada – since it starts in the US, flows into Canada, and then again back into the US. I propose that the US dump milk near the headwaters and that Canada returns the favor by topping it up as it re-enters the US. Problem solved, farmers happy – and nobody will care about the balance of dairy trade. Plus it will all be filtered out before it reaches St. Louis.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:42 am

OMG! Did I see him descent on plain airstairs? No red carpet? There's gonna be hell to pay!! (I thought he promised never to do that but order to turn the plane around immediately? :lol:)

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:07 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Gord.... really? I don't like Regan much, but my dregs of memory is that he did not want another war. He defeated the USSR by ECONOMIC PRESSURE....not war. Could be a fine line or two in there....but "Star Wars" is all about defense....with the acknowledgement that with a complete Defense, we could offer first strikes.....but still, on its face, not a WarHawk position.

............but I didn't follow politics back then. Not now either..... just pop media.
Reagan kept pushing and pushing and pushing. His rhetoric against the USSR sounded very warlike, maybe not to Americans, but to others. The "Star Wars defense" was another provocation, implying the the US would be able to attack the USSR at will without fear of reprisal.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:13 am

scrmbldggs wrote:OMG! Did I see him descent on plain airstairs? No red carpet? There's gonna be hell to pay!! (I thought he promised never to do that but order to turn the plane around immediately? :lol:)
I wonder if he noticed?
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?