It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Post by TJrandom » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:01 pm

Yes, but in November - an asshat won, and this time he didn`t. I wonder how Faux news is going to explain this.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:22 pm

TJrandom wrote:Yes, but in November - an asshat won, and this time he didn`t. I wonder how Faux news is going to explain this.

Of course there will be screams of fake news, voter fraud, calls for investigation......
I’ll tell you in a minute, they have Fox on in my gym. It isn’t out of the realm of possibility they will studiously ignore the whole thing.
Asked to explain why they hate Jews, anti-Semites contradict themselves. Jews are always showing off; they are hermetic and secretive. They will not assimilate; they assimilate only too well. They are too religious; they are too materialistic, and a threat to religion. They are uncultured; they have too much culture. They avoid manual work; they work too hard. They are miserly; they are ostentatious spenders. They are inveterate capitalists; they are born Communists. And so on.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:28 pm

LOL, someone is playing “Sweet Home Alabama” really loud at the gym.
I hate Lynard Skynard.
Asked to explain why they hate Jews, anti-Semites contradict themselves. Jews are always showing off; they are hermetic and secretive. They will not assimilate; they assimilate only too well. They are too religious; they are too materialistic, and a threat to religion. They are uncultured; they have too much culture. They avoid manual work; they work too hard. They are miserly; they are ostentatious spenders. They are inveterate capitalists; they are born Communists. And so on.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Unlimited_Oracular_Guidance

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:05 pm

Hmm, Trump is pounding the write-in votes. Very different from the VA governor's race, where the Republican allegedly lost because he didn't embrace Trump soon enough. Maybe even Trump realized that horse wouldn't run, so he's got a new resident in his stable of excuses to run this time.
I don't know anything about quantum mechanics, but I know what I like.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Unlimited_Oracular_Guidance

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:07 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
TJrandom wrote:Yes, but in November - an asshat won, and this time he didn`t. I wonder how Faux news is going to explain this.

Of course there will be screams of fake news, voter fraud, calls for investigation......
I’ll tell you in a minute, they have Fox on in my gym. It isn’t out of the realm of possibility they will studiously ignore the whole thing.

It would be a very difficult case to make that Democrats managed to rig an election in the reddest state in the country. But Sean Hannity is pretty dumb. He might try. Too bad I'm tied up at noon today. I haven't listened to Rash Limpjaw in 15 years, but it would be really interesting to hear him live spinning this as some machination of the Deep State.
I don't know anything about quantum mechanics, but I know what I like.

Balmoral95
Veteran Poster

Post by Balmoral95 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:13 pm

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:17 pm

Balmoral95 wrote:http://www.newsweek.com/steve-bannon-peter-king-drunken-alabama-roy-moore-746719

I said he looks like someone’s alcoholic uncle.

The thing I take great pleasure in is this crushing defeat for Bannonism. It isn’t dead, not by a long shot but it loosened Bannon’s grip and made the Republican leadership fear him less.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:20 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:

It would be a very difficult case to make that Democrats managed to rig an election in the reddest state in the country. But Sean Hannity is pretty dumb. He might try. Too bad I'm tied up at noon today. I haven't listened to Rash Limpjaw in 15 years, but it would be really interesting to hear him live spinning this as some machination of the Deep State.

I didn’t get a chance to tune in, there was a cluster of people on the equipment around the TV with it on.

It’s the only time I ever pay attention to it, I sure as hell don’t watch it by choice.

To be fair I also avoid CNN, MSNBC, etc., etc. I will read the websites.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:32 pm

Ari Melber on MSNBC is worth watching. I think Rachel Maddow has done round the bend. We go through spells of watching The Trump Show, then swearing it off . . . LOL
"It was still at the stage of clubs and fists, hurrah, tala"

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:34 pm

My mother watches Fox to the exclusion of all else.

I can’t really watch all-news channels anymore. I prefer to read and absorb on my own without talking heads.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:37 pm

Well, to be honest, I read while "watching" LOL

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:06 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:

With McTurtle's early announcement, some might be dumb enough to give away the Repugnant voting game in their haste to place blame...
Lard, save me from your followers.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:23 pm

Janet Rubin, conservative columnist (and #nevertrumper) today: "Republicans were not persuaded; they were outvoted." And barely, having rallied behind a candidate that plumbs Traynorian and Hazardish depths (91% of Republicans voted for the pedophile). But outvoted they were, in Alabama. I should think bricks are being shat across the country amongst Republicans concerning '18 and '20.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:37 pm

Shocking news, an FBI agent since canned by Mueller called Trump an idiot: "The FBI agent who was removed from Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s team in August, Peter Strzok, called President Donald Trump “awful” and an “idiot” during the presidential campaign, according to text messages provided to Congress and obtained by several news outlets." (from TPM)

OTOH, idiot is the most common word Americans use when describing President Anus Mouth, according to a recent Quinnipiac polls ("Poll: 'Idiot' most common word used to describe Trump"). Strzok sounds rather ordinary, doesn't he though?

Funny, no Republican thugs have mentioned this situation in their caterwauling about bias in investigations: "Lead Cop In Felony Trial For Trump Inaugural Protesters Sent Anti-Activist Tweets: Gregg Pemberton was quizzed about his use of Twitter by defense lawyers":
The police detective who has spent virtually all of this year aiding the prosecution of individuals arrested en masse on the day of President Donald Trump’s inauguration was questioned on Tuesday about tweets he sent, retweeted or liked that were critical of Black Lives Matter and “leftist goons.”

Gregg Pemberton, a detective with Washington’s Metropolitan Police Department who also serves as an official in the local police union, had until recently maintained a public Twitter account that reflected his views on a variety of law enforcement topics. On the stand, Pemberton claimed he tweeted “solely” as a member of the D.C. police union board, though he later said that he had used the account in his investigative capacity.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:48 pm

Breitbart’s sage analysis of why Moore lost:

“1) Not having a unified GOP mattered”: they specifically call out Shelby. The 2nd Civil War, this one inside the GOP . . . bring it!

“2) Margins of loss in urban counties was [sic] too much to overcome”: that is, Bannon & Co “misunderestimated” how unpopular they are with minority voters and mainstream types

“3) Alabama swing counties?”: university towns that went for Trump were won handily by Jones; thus, the war on higher education?

“4) Turnout was much higher than predicted”: time to intensify vote suppression efforts, for {!#%@}’s sake, when people vote, they may vote “wrong”!

“5) Moore was relying too much on a strong showing in the Wiregrass”: southeastern Alabama for sure voted for Moore, but turnout was low in such areas whilst turnout was high in areas where Jones ran up large %’s in his favor - in short, dumb {!#%@} strategy Bannon

No mention of the candidate and what he stands for? How curious!

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:50 pm

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:02 pm

What the hell is wrong with people in Alabama?

2% of Alabama Democrats admitted voting for Roy Moore? :befuddled:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:08 pm

Gord wrote:

They know that the Rapture is next week, and they don't want to be on divine record to have voted for a supporter of Fetus Murder.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:14 pm

Credit where credit is due: I have criticized the DNC roundly on more than one occasion. In Alabama, the DNC quietly worked the ground game and focused on African American turnout, which was dismissed as not materializing in the election lead-up - but which proved decisive for Jones. Good job by the DNC, outside the media spotlight, doing the legwork that's necessary to win, as they did in VA.

Sessions' seat is now to be occupied by a progressive Democrat. Wow.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:15 pm

Gord wrote:What the hell is wrong with people in Alabama?

LOL

OTOH that Independent % must be freaking out people in the White House and Capitol building.

Balsamo
Frequent Poster

Post by Balsamo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:38 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
Gord wrote:

They know that the Rapture is next week, and they don't want to be on divine record to have voted for a supporter of Fetus Murder.

No need to be so dramatic...maybe some of those 2% don't like his haircut...i don't... :evil:
Some might have consider that Doug looks pretty stupid on that picture...I do :twisted:
Some might be color-blind, and can't see red from blue...
Others might have come out from a late night party...and cast the wrong vote...
Others might just have wanted to vote for John Lennon and did not find the ballot and expressed their anger...
Some might have felt guilty for having murdered a Fetus and put a redemption vote...
Lot of possibilities, so one should fragmented those 2%...

On the other side, 8% did of the Republicans did not vote for their candidates...more substantial, isn't it?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:00 pm

Gord wrote:What the hell is wrong with people in Alabama?

They are very, very old. And still Democrats.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:02 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Credit where credit is due: I have criticized the DNC roundly on more than one occasion. In Alabama, the DNC quietly worked the ground game and focused on African American turnout, which was dismissed as not materializing in the election lead-up - but which proved decisive for Jones. Good job by the DNC, outside the media spotlight, doing the legwork that's necessary to win, as they did in VA.

Sessions' seat is now to be occupied by a progressive Democrat. Wow.

Some details
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:45 pm

Jones will not be in DC in time to save the working and middle classes from the travesty of Republican tax cuts.

But . . . remember Round 2 of the Ryan-McConnell-Trump plan: use the deficit, widened by the tax cuts, to drill home austerity (slash, under the header "welfare reform," at key elements of the safety net - Medicare, Medicaid, food stamps and other anti-hunger programs, social security, CHIP, etc - you know, cut the very programs Trump promised to safeguard).

Now, the austerity majority is down to just 1 seat. McCain, Murkowski, and Collins among the Hunger Party have had trouble accepting cuts in the safety net (such as outright, as opposed to, stealth repeal of the ACA). Anyway, it's no longer 2 votes that the Republicans can afford to lose on this stuff but 1. Phase 2 of the Hunger Plan - budget austerity - could well be in trouble.

And the hole in federal finances created by the tax legislation these idiots are about to pass could be more real than I'd thought.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:05 pm

So much winning. They really must be sick of it by now.

Balsamo
Frequent Poster

Post by Balsamo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:41 pm

Statmec:
Jones will not be in DC in time to save the working and middle classes from the travesty of Republican tax cuts.

This is the kind of thing that i cannot even apprehend. How can someone who was beaten could still sit in Congress until 2018? It is insane!

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:44 pm

Right. I always had trouble sitting after a good beati.... oh. Hehe. :-P

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:37 pm

Balsamo wrote:Statmec:

This is the kind of thing that i cannot even apprehend. How can someone who was beaten could still sit in Congress until 2018? It is insane!

It's kind of simple, actually, and not atypical. Every state, via the secretary of state's office, certifies elections and their results (it may need to be pointed out that each state, not the federal government, runs its own elections). In this case,
- overseas ballots still need to be counted (they are permitted by AL election rules to come in until 19 December)
- provisional ballots (those cast where the voter's eligibility must be resolved) need to be dealt with and counted
- write-in ballots may need to be counted (AL requires this when the winning margin does not exceed the number of write-in votes); this issue will be resolved by 18 December
- given the above, counties are to report their final counts to the secretary of state on 22 December
- the secretary of state's office will review the final counts and certify the results no earlier than 26 December and no later than 3 January

. . . and, if the winning margin in an election is less than 0.5%, a recount of the votes in that election is mandated (see above on this) - but also Moore can request (and pay for) a recount . . . the recount would not take place, sad to say, by state rules until after official certification . . .

Congress is scheduled to break on 22 December; thus, Jones cannot be seated until after Congress goes back into session after the 1st of the year.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:05 am

I think it broke a while ago already. It sure is in sore need of fixin...

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:10 am

It cuts both ways. If you recall, something very like this happened when Scott Brown was a surprise winner in MA in 2010 and the ACA was in process.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:22 am

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:34 am

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:55 am

I posted already, I musta missed it. Here it is again(?): Monmouth poll: Trump approval rating hits record-low 32 percent

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:59 am

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:13 am

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:16 am

They are getting killed amongst women, minorities, and young people (under 44!). And they are dropping fast in what Eric Levitz is calling Panera-land. Moore lost . . . Talladega, spiritual home of NASCAR not to mention Ricky Bobby. A Republican losing Talladega is like Hitler losing Munch. It basically can't happen.

Balmoral95
Veteran Poster

Post by Balmoral95 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:17 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Image

Interesting he hasn't said, "She'd do ANYTHING to keep her job.".

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:19 am

Balmoral95
Veteran Poster

Post by Balmoral95 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:30 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:

They are getting killed amongst women, minorities, and young people (under 44!). And they are dropping fast in what Eric Levitz is calling Panera-land. Moore lost . . . Talladega, spiritual home of NASCAR not to mention Ricky Bobby. A Republican losing Talladega is like Hitler losing Munch. It basically can't happen.

Yes, but: I'm hearing a lot of smug complacency in Dems after yesterday :evil:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:51 am

They're allowed. For 24 hours. Tomorrow they need to remind themselves that a Republican pedophile, who yearns for slavery and making gays illegal, who was twice removed from the state's highest court for inability to conform to the law, who appealed to voters as a Christian ayatollah, came within a whisker of winning. That Judge Moore won white voters by 38 points - and lost black voters by 98 points. That we are not "together again." That almost half the voters in Alabama voted for the closest thing to the Confederacy and theocracy that they could find on the ballot. And that millions upon millions of such people are digging their heels in all across the country.
Last edited by Statistical Mechanic on Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.