Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Laugh it up...
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10143
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:06 pm

Gord wrote:
2. How is my position wrong?

siiiigh you're still avoiding it.

Wrong. I expressly stated you had the better argument. I only noted that my losing argument got a bit stronger.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29080
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gord » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:55 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Gord wrote:
2. How is my position wrong?

siiiigh you're still avoiding it.

Wrong. I expressly stated you had the better argument. I only noted that my losing argument got a bit stronger.

No it didn't. Trying to make that case is how you're avoiding the wrongness that is you.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10143
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:23 am

Well.......doesn't seem to me there is a thread title as each poster can change their own heading. That heading thingy doesn't fit either as part of the post, nor as the thread title "unless" people choose to keep it rolling.

but....it is all definitional. I said I "misread" the op and the only words are in the Heading which on the OP also is used as the thread title. As I made it clear what I was referring to, and as the ambiguity between Thread Title defined doesn't address the subsequent posts' headers which are not defined, I think on balance YOUR definition is the stronger.

Now.... I need to find a source of right size smilies or learn to scale emojis, as I have several that would fit here, but I don't know how to insert them. I dont want large pictures. I like smilies.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19616
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:51 am

:pc:
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19415
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:03 am

Image
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8096
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Poodle » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:19 am

That's a wonderful thing.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10143
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:30 am

HEY!! Youse guys are going to make me self conscious.

I am a shy guy.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19415
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:38 am

Image
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29080
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gord » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:54 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Well.......doesn't seem to me there is a thread title as each poster can change their own heading.

The heading of a post is not the thread title. It can read the same thing as the thread title, or it can read something different, but so what? It's still not a factor in the discussion.

That heading thingy doesn't fit either as part of the post, nor as the thread title "unless" people choose to keep it rolling.

No, it never serves as the thread title. The thread title can't be changed by you, but your post's heading can be whatever you want it to be.

but....it is all definitional.

Yeah, semantics are all semantical, aren't they?

I said I "misread" the op and the only words are in the Heading which on the OP also is used as the thread title.

Yeah, you said you misread the OP, but the only thing you read was the thread title, which is a different thing.

As I made it clear what I was referring to, and as the ambiguity between Thread Title defined doesn't address the subsequent posts' headers which are not defined, I think on balance YOUR definition is the stronger.

There is no ambiguity about the thread title, except as you have invented after the fact to cover up your error.

Now.... I need to find a source of right size smilies or learn to scale emojis, as I have several that would fit here, but I don't know how to insert them. I dont want large pictures. I like smilies.

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10143
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:39 pm

Gord wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote: but....it is all definitional.

Yeah, semantics are all semantical, aren't they?


Ha, ha. Talk long enough and the schisms reveal themselves. No wonder you want to argue about an issue that is purely definitional when you don't understand the difference between a definition and semantics.

thanks for the laugh. I'll disengage now and look forward to the next subject.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29080
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gord » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:16 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Gord wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote: but....it is all definitional.

Yeah, semantics are all semantical, aren't they?

Ha, ha. Talk long enough and the schisms reveal themselves. No wonder you want to argue about an issue that is purely definitional when you don't understand the difference between a definition and semantics.

Blah blah blah. So there's a difference between a definition and semantics. They also share similarities, and that's my point. But I forgot: You don't want me to make my point, you want to divert from it at every turn.

thanks for the laugh. I'll disengage now and look forward to the next subject.

Yeah. See ya.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10143
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:56 pm

Gord: what is your point other than you want to use your brain as a door stop? You know perfectly well what I was referring to and your point is that I used the incorrect term. At first I said this was not true and purely definitional. You provided a link and I said according to the definition in your link, you had the stronger argument. I repeated the issue was NOT in understanding what was said but rather the issue I recognized was definitional. Then you responded with sarcasm that it was all semantics. BUT ITS NOT. It matters not at all what elements definition shares with semantics when the point of contention is definitional and not semantics because on the issue at hand its the definitions that control, not the semantic. I think its nothing but humorous and revelatory that you really can't mount a definitional dispute if you aren't sensitive to what a definitional argument IS. Its not semantics. Semantics only flow AFTER you have defined your terms. I am sensitive to that====>just as you are sensitive to the difference between a Thread Title and an OP. See the parallel?????

Its not semantics.

Its definitions.

As I admitted I was wrong (sic--more definitions)............I'll wait for your recognition. ((Fat chance?))
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26338
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:42 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Gord: what is your point other than you want to use your brain as a door stop?

Gords Brain.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10143
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:35 am

HA!--good pic Matthew. Didn't know what it was for a long time.....looked like some kind of headless Schwarzenegger for quite a while, but throughout, that thing was trying to get in and I couldn't make a joke of the kiddies trying to stop it.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29080
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gord » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:02 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Gord: what is your point other than you want to use your brain as a door stop? You know perfectly well what I was referring to and your point is that I used the incorrect term. At first I said this was not true and purely definitional. You provided a link and I said according to the definition in your link, you had the stronger argument. I repeated the issue was NOT in understanding what was said but rather the issue I recognized was definitional. Then you responded with sarcasm that it was all semantics. BUT ITS NOT.

Omigoddoyounotundertandsarcasm?

I think its nothing but humorous and revelatory that you really can't mount a definitional dispute if you aren't sensitive to what a definitional argument IS.

Do you need me to define "wrong" for you?

Its not semantics. Semantics only flow AFTER you have defined your terms. I am sensitive to that====>just as you are sensitive to the difference between a Thread Title and an OP. See the parallel?????

I'm aware of the difference between a thread title and an op, if that's what you mean. Of course, you may manipulate it semantically to redefine it.

Its not semantics.

That's just semantics.

Its definitions.

On which you were wrong.

As I admitted I was wrong (sic--more definitions)............I'll wait for your recognition. ((Fat chance?))

Hmm, let me see....

Nope. The only times you've used the term "wrong" was in these sentences:

Gord: whats wrong with my misinformation? Seems as hard as a diamond locked in a titanium box to me.
Prove me wrong.
State what I said that is wrong.
Now..........if I am indeed wrong, and the Heading is not part of the OP...... that would be educational for me.
2. How is my position wrong?
Wrong. I expressly stated you had the better argument. I only noted that my losing argument got a bit stronger.
As I admitted I was wrong (sic--more definitions)............I'll wait for your recognition. ((Fat chance?))

The only time you admitted you were wrong was that last time, in the post to which I'm replying, where you claimed you had already done so.

So, nope, you hadn't. Until now.

Of course, you also said "I'll disengage now and look forward to the next subject", and yet here we are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mhzBMAfK8U
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
digress
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 am
Custom Title: doomer
Contact:

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby digress » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:44 pm

Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic? Split from: Male/female brains

do it
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia


Return to “The Funny Pages”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests