Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Laugh it up...
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11013
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:53 am

I'll play. State what I said that is wrong.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19745
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:28 am

. :dunk:
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11013
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:33 am

:nownow: :slapfight: :neener:
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19745
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:39 am

... :neener: . :sling:
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29416
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gord » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:27 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I'll play. State what I said that is wrong.

Gord wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:...Then at post 15-16, I correctly read the OP....

There's an OP to read? :blink:

Hint: The answer is "no".
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11013
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:33 pm

Gord wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I'll play. State what I said that is wrong.

Gord wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:...Then at post 15-16, I correctly read the OP....

There's an OP to read? :blink:

Hint: The answer is "no".

I disagree. The OP is what gets submitted when you hit the submit button. That includes the Header or Lead In Message as well as the body of the OP. I misread the Header.

Seems simple enough to me. Why do you wish to disagree?

Now..........if I am indeed wrong, and the Heading is not part of the OP...... that would be educational for me. Got a link? Or do you not recognize the misstep in your own journey?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29416
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gord » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:16 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Gord wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I'll play. State what I said that is wrong.

Gord wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:...Then at post 15-16, I correctly read the OP....

There's an OP to read? :blink:

Hint: The answer is "no".

I disagree. The OP is what gets submitted when you hit the submit button. That includes the Header or Lead In Message as well as the body of the OP.

No it doesn't. The OP is the Original Post (although I prefer to call it the Opening Post, myself), which is the text within...well, the opening post. You can search the forums by header alone, or you can search the forums by posts. They are two separate things.

Why do you wish to disagree?

You asked me to.

...if I am indeed wrong, and the Heading is not part of the OP...... that would be educational for me.

You're welcome.

Got a link?

Yes: Your brain and a big pile of poo. :P

Or you might prefer this link, if you're not that into just slinging insults at one another, I don't really know for sure, so just in case it helps somehow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum#Thread

Or do you not recognize the misstep in your own journey?

I think you are misreading the misterness of my teps.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11013
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic? ==Only if they replace text in the body of the post and NOT in the Header

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:41 pm

From your link: "Post

A post is a user-submitted message enclosed into a block containing the user's details and the date and time it was submitted. Members are usually allowed to edit or delete their own posts. Posts are contained in threads, where they appear as blocks one after another. The first post starts the thread; this may be called the TS (thread starter) or OP (original post).

Then next paragraph: "A thread is defined by a title, an additional description that may summarize the intended discussion, and an opening or original post (common abbreviation OP, which can also mean original poster), which opens whatever dialogue or makes whatever announcement the poster wished.

Nothing in the foregoing addresses directly the point we are discussing, although to be honest, I have to support my idea the language more supports what I said. The OP has a header and a body. I clearly said what I was talking about.

A niggling point of no consequence. A tonic for the flexibility of mind and to again recognize that everything is definitional. Silly to argue what "some other" definition is when the poster explicitly says what definitions he is using.

You know what that defines..... right?????
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19745
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:31 am

Maybe it's helpful for Bobbo to know that this thread is a... umm... spoof(?)* on this thread?




* GoshdarnitIcan'trememberwhat'sitcalled! :shakefist:
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19764
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:57 am

Pair of these?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29416
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic? ==Only if they replace text in the body of the post and NOT in the Head

Postby Gord » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:03 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:From your link: "Post

A post is a user-submitted message enclosed into a block containing the user's details and the date and time it was submitted. Members are usually allowed to edit or delete their own posts. Posts are contained in threads, where they appear as blocks one after another. The first post starts the thread; this may be called the TS (thread starter) or OP (original post).

Then next paragraph: "A thread is defined by a title, an additional description that may summarize the intended discussion, and an opening or original post (common abbreviation OP, which can also mean original poster), which opens whatever dialogue or makes whatever announcement the poster wished.

Nothing in the foregoing addresses directly the point we are discussing

Yes it does. A thread is "defined by a title:..."and an opening or original post." That's two things that define a thread.

The OP has a header and a body.

No, the thread has a title and an OP. The "opening post" is the OP. The "header" is title of the thread.

A niggling point of no consequence. A tonic for the flexibility of mind and to again recognize that everything is definitional. Silly to argue what "some other" definition is when the poster explicitly says what definitions he is using.

You know what that defines..... right?????

Yes, that you were wrong and are trying to riddle your way out of it.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19764
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:15 pm

Image
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3275
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby ElectricMonk » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:51 pm

:dunk: :elf:
:shark:
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19764
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:02 pm

Image
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11013
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic? ==Only if they replace text in the body of the post and NOT in the Head

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:43 pm

Gord wrote:
The OP has a header and a body.
No, the thread has a title and an OP. The "opening post" is the OP. The "header" is title of the thread.

Well, I wrote several sentences and going back to the Link, the best and I think "fair" read of it all, is that you are correct.

So....I didn't misread the OP, I misread the Thread Title.

Pesonally, I would never make a point out of such a distinction when the meaning is unavoidable clear.

but, to each his own.

Eggs: that earlier post was before my time. Its good that somehow Scott is responsible for wasteful dithering.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
digress
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 am
Custom Title: doomer
Contact:

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby digress » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:20 pm

Image
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29416
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic? ==Only if they replace text in the body of the post and NOT in the Head

Postby Gord » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:17 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Pesonally, I would never make a point out of such a distinction when the meaning is unavoidable clear.

Me neither. That's why I had to ask about it, because it was unclear.

Perhaps you are unaware of this, but in the past OPs have disappeared, leaving the second post appearing to be the OP. Your statement that you had misread the OP suggested to me that this had occurred again, and that there had originally been something to read that I could no longer see.

It was either that, or you were mistaken.

So I asked.

It's becoming clear to me that you often do not know the reason why I'm asking you for information when I keep my questions short and sweer. For future reference, if you would like to keep things short and sweet as well, I recommend providing the requested information rather than trying to find a way to misunderstand the question itself.

I predict this will be difficult for you, if not impossible. My female relatives all share the same problem. Even though I've explained it to them in the past, they still work to misunderstand my simple requests by trying to guess the reasons behind them. Since they never have the information necessary to predict my reasons, they invariably come to a misconception, and provide unasked for information that does not fulfil the needs that prompted my requests in the first place.

Image
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26757
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic? ==Only if they replace text in the body of the post and NOT in the Head

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:47 am

Gord wrote: ....when I keep my questions short and sweer.
Sweet
I finally "got" Gord. It's taken eight years. I can now drop this pretence of me being "an interested skeptic on a forum" and return to my home planet with Gorgeous and Freebill. :mrgreen:


Short Questions
Wait until you meet Amanda

Matthew : "Amanda? What are we doing on Tuesday night?"
Amanda : (A ten minute monologue on every topic, other than Tuesday night.)
Matthew : "Amanda? What are we doing on Tuesday night?"
Amanda : "I'm too busy to even think about Tuesday night"
Matthew : "Can I go out on Tuesday night?"
Amanda : "Haven't you been listening to me?"

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19745
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic? ==Only if they replace text in the body of the post and NOT in the Head

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:05 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Gord wrote: ....when I keep my questions short and sweer.
Sweet

swear



:heh:
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29416
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gord » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:26 am

Yup, ya got me. At least this time, the R and T keys are next to each other on the keyboard! I don't have to wonder "how the hell did I hit K instead of D" (for purely imaginary instance). No one should ever have to wonker such a thing.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Angel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:23 pm
Custom Title: LOVE

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Angel » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:20 am

Drive consciousness over logic?
Is ur logic not conscious?
Emot's r for lazy people mostly. Lol
As they say so much with so little.
U r controlled by they limited emo's
available . On the other hand though~
children today r addicted to the Internet
like I was to candy as a child lol they get a
rush ~ a feeling~ believed to be their reward~
when they get things that they can relate to
as this validates their existence ~ all thanx to
a government that makes mothers work to
pay taxes . Lol
To be or not to be?
To believe or
Not to believe?
To be live or
Not to be live?
To exist or
Not to exist?
What was the question?

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29416
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gord » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:33 pm

Angel wrote:Emot's r for lazy people mostly. Lol

So is the practice of leaving letters out of words. lollersk8s!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19764
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:10 pm

Angel wrote:Emot's r for lazy people mostly. Lol
Image
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8214
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic? ==Only if they replace text in the body of the post and NOT in the Head

Postby Poodle » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:14 pm

Gord wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:You know what that defines..... right?????

Yes, that you were wrong and are trying to riddle your way out of it.


Wriggle.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11013
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:27 pm

Poodle--both words fit, depending on what is meant. I rather like riddle, but from memory I don't think I asked riddling types of questions. Just straight forward ones.

BUT, refreshed from sleeping as I am, I will take a last stab at the issue even in my admitted defeat. Its all contextual.

The dare I say "niggling" fact is that the LINK provided by Gord doesn't describe the way this forum is set up. There is a thread with a title and an OP, but thereafter there are responding posts that have the "title" of the thread in their header before their main text. The title of the thread cannot be changed except by the OP'r. The heading area of the responding posts can be changed at will as I did in my response to set the basis for that argument. It makes my case just a little bit closer, but not a winner in my book.

I could go on. Everything is definitional.... a good thing to recognize. Because once you recognize THAT you should stop arguing and just do the various analyses based on the various definitions.

Know what I mean?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Angel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:23 pm
Custom Title: LOVE

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Angel » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:28 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Angel wrote:Emot's r for lazy people mostly. Lol
Image

I enjoy being L from time to time :mrgreen:
To be or not to be?
To believe or
Not to believe?
To be live or
Not to be live?
To exist or
Not to exist?
What was the question?

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29416
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic? ==Only if they replace text in the body of the post and NOT in the Head

Postby Gord » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:28 pm

Poodle wrote:
Gord wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:You know what that defines..... right?????

Yes, that you were wrong and are trying to riddle your way out of it.

Wriggle.

No, riddle. Y'know: confuse, puzzle, be indirect, obstruct your meaning, misdirect with semantics.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29416
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gord » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:33 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:The dare I say "niggling" fact is that the LINK provided by Gord doesn't describe the way this forum is set up.

Siiiiiigh yes it does.

There is a thread with a title and an OP

Amazing, just as described in the link.

...but thereafter there are responding posts that have the "title" of the thread in their header before their main text.

The link also doesn't describe the forum as "populated by skeptics" or "having a slightly bluish colouration" -- because it's irrelevant to the topic! The title of your post has no influence on the definition of the thread, the thread's title, or the OP.

I could go on.

You sure could.

Everything is definitional.... a good thing to recognize.

And everything is arguable. So what?

Because once you recognize THAT you should stop arguing and just do the various analyses based on the various definitions.

No, once you recognize THAT, you should ignore it and go back to the original argument.

Know what I mean?

Yes, you're trying to riddle your way out of it again.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11013
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:50 pm

Yes I was riddling.

But reasonable men do not argue silly points.

Here is where you snivel (closest rhyme I had) you LEAVE OUT THE KEY PROVISION of why this forum is not set up as the Link Described:

"The title of the thread cannot be changed except by the OP'r. The heading area of the responding posts can be changed at will (FUNCTIONALLY making it part of the post as it is no longer the title) as I did in my response to set the basis for that argument. It makes my case just a little bit closer, but not a winner in my book" And the red insertion makes my position even that much closer.

Personally, I would be dishonest to pull that manipulation. Why did you do it?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11013
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:12 pm

Anyone else struck by the recognition that the Titles and Headings notwithstanding there is not a single emoticon used in this thread?

:-)
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
digress
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 am
Custom Title: doomer
Contact:

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic? ==Only if they replace text in the body of the post and NOT in the Head

Postby digress » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:20 pm

Gord wrote:to misunderstand my simple requests by trying to guess the reasons behind them


noble bobbo's digression
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

User avatar
digress
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 am
Custom Title: doomer
Contact:

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby digress » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:22 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Anyone else struck by the recognition that the Titles and Headings notwithstanding there is not a single emoticon used in this thread?

:-)


Image
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19764
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:29 pm

Image
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26757
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:49 am

Gord wrote:.... the R and T keys are next to each other on the keyboard! I don't have to wonder "how the hell did I hit K instead of D" (for purely imaginary instance). No one should ever have to wonker such a thing.
big_key_keyboard.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29416
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gord » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:36 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Gord wrote:.... the R and T keys are next to each other on the keyboard! I don't have to wonder "how the hell did I hit K instead of D" (for purely imaginary instance). No one should ever have to wonker such a thing.
big_key_keyboard.jpg

Big fingers, too.

Image

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:But reasonable men do not argue silly points.

Yes we do. This is a skeptic forum; we argue about people's silly points quite often.

Here is where you snivel (closest rhyme I had) you LEAVE OUT THE KEY PROVISION of why this forum is not set up as the Link Described:

"The title of the thread cannot be changed except by the OP'r. The heading area of the responding posts can be changed at will (FUNCTIONALLY making it part of the post as it is no longer the title) as I did in my response to set the basis for that argument. It makes my case just a little bit closer, but not a winner in my book" And the red insertion makes my position even that much closer.

No, your position is as wrong as it ever was. Trying to obfuscate yourself isn't helping your "case".

Personally, I would be dishonest to pull that manipulation. Why did you do it?

I'm not you. When I post what I do, I do it honestly. When you post, you manipulate, and you do it dishonestly.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11013
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:29 am

1, Irony anyone?

2. How is my position wrong?

3. When I post, I LOOK FOR the strongest argument against me. I do not delete the strongest argument against me. Different standards.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29416
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gord » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:00 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:1, Irony anyone?

No thanks, I've had plenty already.

2. How is my position wrong?

siiiigh you're still avoiding it.

3. When I post, I LOOK FOR the strongest argument against me. I do not delete the strongest argument against me. Different standards.

And yet, here we are!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19764
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:03 pm

Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29416
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gord » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:17 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx-priest-sued-allegedly-stealing-1m-churches-article-1.2462101

“I don’t have to talk to you!” he yelped before hanging up on a Daily News reporter.

How do you hang up on Yelp?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19764
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:35 pm

Gord wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx-priest-sued-allegedly-stealing-1m-churches-article-1.2462101

“I don’t have to talk to you!” he yelped before hanging up on a Daily News reporter.

How do you hang up on Yelp?

Welp, I reckon ya'll does it like any other of them there things.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.


Return to “The Funny Pages”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests