Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Laugh it up...
User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 11310
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:24 am

:hmm:
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 7849
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Aztexan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:32 am

:nuts:
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19470
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:59 am

Image
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19638
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:13 pm

:mod:
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10407
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:17 pm

:yahoo:
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7815
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby nmblum88 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:49 pm

Major Malfunction wrote::hmm:

Although I am of the "a pox on emoticons" school of human expressiveness, still,
it doesn't really matter.
Because if you scan the responses to your question it's obvious that whether in words of in emoticons, the character and view of the world of the respondent will be clear:
the misanthrope will evince misanthropy, the smart asses will be unable to refrain from smart ass-ery, and the cheerful reasonable, poster remains full of amenable good spirits.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19470
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:52 pm

Image
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19638
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:08 pm

:tease:
Hi, Io the lurker.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7815
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby nmblum88 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:25 pm

scrmbldggs wrote::tease:


More or less like Voltaire.
Who was nothing if not the darndest tease himself.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

User avatar
digress
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 am
Custom Title: doomer
Contact:

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby digress » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:39 pm

Image
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19470
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:39 pm

Image
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19638
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:46 pm

:sick:

Spoiler:
Image
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19470
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:08 pm

Image
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19638
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:34 pm

:gum:
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19470
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:39 pm

Image
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19638
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:15 pm

Image
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19470
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:23 pm

Image
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19638
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:45 pm

Image










:moped:
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19470
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:04 pm

Image
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29100
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gord » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:04 am

:rulez:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19470
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:29 am

Image
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10407
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:21 pm

:strawman:
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19470
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:28 pm

Image
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10407
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:45 pm

:rant:
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19470
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:27 pm

Image
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29100
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gord » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:35 pm

:abd:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19470
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:36 pm

Image
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10407
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:42 pm

:innocent:
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19470
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:44 pm

Image
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29100
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gord » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:07 am

Image
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19470
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:26 am

Image
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29100
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gord » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:18 am

Image
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10214
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:45 am

:frown: After post 3-4 I noted how clever everyone was being just using emoticons. Then at post 15-16, I correctly read the OP.

So......not as subtle a group as given credit for, but just as clever.

Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19470
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:26 am

Image
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29100
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gord » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:11 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:...Then at post 15-16, I correctly read the OP....

There's an OP to read? :blink:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19470
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:01 am

Gord wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:...Then at post 15-16, I correctly read the OP....

There's an OP to read? :blink:

Image
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10214
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:47 am

Well, in context, not using my brain as a door stop, I must mean I consider the Heading to be part of the Original Post?

Not too hard??

..........or.......if by custom and usage the Heading of a Post is not part of the post, then all I could have read would have been the emoticon. And, again in context, and not using my brain as a door stop, I misread the emoticon.....its meaning clearly understood by all others.

How could what I post not make sense to any thinking person? Did you misread something?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29100
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gord » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:00 am

No, I correctly read your misinformation.

:pardon:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10214
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:18 pm

Gord: whats wrong with my misinformation? Seems as hard as a diamond locked in a titanium box to me.

Prove me wrong.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29100
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Do Emoticons Drive Consciousness Over Logic?

Postby Gord » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:54 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Gord: whats wrong with my misinformation? Seems as hard as a diamond locked in a titanium box to me.

Prove me wrong.

Prove your misinformation is wrong? :hmm:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE


Return to “The Funny Pages”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest