Apocamon: Book of Revelation as manga

Laugh it up...
Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Apocamon: Book of Revelation as manga

Post by Monster » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:59 pm

Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer

Re: Apocamon: Book of Revelation as manga

Post by OutOfBreath » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:05 pm

A weirdly entertaining read.

I'd say it was black humour directed at end-timers. However, I started to wonder when seeing some of the banners around the site whether that was just my interpretation.

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Monster » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:40 pm

OutOfBreath wrote:A weirdly entertaining read.

I'd say it was black humour directed at end-timers. However, I started to wonder when seeing some of the banners around the site whether that was just my interpretation.

Peace
Dan

In my opinion, the target audience is any non-Christian. Or did you mean "directed at" to be "making fun of"?

angawawa
Regular Poster
Custom Title: A little strange

Post by angawawa » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:49 pm

I'm still watching. I didn't realize how little I knew of Revelations. It's incredibly freakin' horrifying. Those people were some sick dudes!! It's saying that all those guys who live in their moms basements and collect action figures but never take them out of the box, they're the ones who will be filling up heaven? Seriously, why would anyone want that?
If you keep your mind sufficiently open, people will throw all manner of garbage into it.

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Monster » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:16 pm

angawawa wrote:I'm still watching. I didn't realize how little I knew of Revelations. It's incredibly freakin' horrifying. Those people were some sick dudes!! It's saying that all those guys who live in their moms basements and collect action figures but never take them out of the box, they're the ones who will be filling up heaven? Seriously, why would anyone want that?

Yeah, the book of Revelation is horrifying. It shows, without any doubt, that Yahweh is an enemy of humanity, all life on Earth, and planet Earth itself.

angawawa
Regular Poster

Post by angawawa » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:54 pm

I seriously had nightmares last night about being chased by mutant terrifying creatures. I can't seem to get the images out of my head. SO, I was thinking, what if this was a true prediction? Could these lady-haired locusts and fiery lion-horses be some kind of out-of-control, human experiment - genetic mutations gone horribly wrong? I'm reading a lot of biopunk.

And what the hell was with this John dude? Who was he? Why was this chosen as a gospel to be included in the current bible? What kind of a sick mind would think of these things? Seriously, he must have been a paranoid schizophrenic, abused horribly by his parents, or is the account in the beginning of his being sodomized by Roman centurions true? I have not read much of the bible, because it so hard to get through. I mean the whole account of Job lasts for like dozens of pages and goes on and on about his in-depth discussions with various community leaders -blah blah blah.

I suppose I can answer some of my own questions. The church wanted absolute control of it's flock, and all their money. Hence the rules created in the 8 or 900's about priests being unable to marry or have children (or any sex) in order to keep them from passing down any of their wealth to descendants. And fear is the great motivator, of course.

Still, it's just so awful.
If you keep your mind sufficiently open, people will throw all manner of garbage into it.

angawawa
Regular Poster

Post by angawawa » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:29 pm

And what's with all the sevens?

When John or whoever writes, for instance, to the seven churches of Asia, or to the Corinthians, does this mean he actually wrote a letter to certain people and these letters are preserved somehow?

Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia and Laodicea - the seven churches- are or were these real places. I mean, I know Philadelphia...

Maybe I need to do more research. Maybe it's stoopid to spend my time doing research like that. I just can't help but be curious about the motivations behind the bible, and I am still not convinced that every word in the bible is false. I don't mean from a religious point of view, I mean from a historical one. I think that we cannot discount it if there may be true historical information there. But then again, maybe it's ridiculous. There are certainly many more believable accounts of things that happened.

But what about Plato's account of Atlantis? He is one of the writers from that time period who we look to for reliable info, right? But how can we believe anything that anyone has written? History is written by the conquerors, and I believe much of what we have in the way of historical accounts from before, say, two hundred years ago is questionable, and so perhaps we should look wherever we can to piece the past together. I don't know. I just know that this Revelation thing is freaking me out, not because I believe it's real, but because so many other people do.

angawawa
Regular Poster

Post by angawawa » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:53 pm

Okay, maybe I am just taking this all too seriously. But what about the seven tribes who will be saved? Ah, I mean the virgin men of the 12 tribes. Do Christians trace themselves back to Jewish ancestors? And if so, how do they do it? From what I understand, the Jews keep track of it by their surnames, right? And if Christians see themselves as members of the 12 tribes, which they would have to be in order to be saved (only the virgin men, of course) how can they consider themselves to be Christians? And what about all the Christian women? By default they are about the worst of all the sinners, and none of them will be caught up in the rapture.

WTF??????

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Monster » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:18 pm

angawawa wrote:And what's with all the sevens?

Numerology / magic. The Bible is loaded with magically significant numbers. 12 tribes. 12 apostles. Etcetera.

But what about Plato's account of Atlantis? He is one of the writers from that time period who we look to for reliable info, right?

Atlantis never existed. Plato never said that it did.

And what the hell was with this John dude? Who was he?

Supposedly the same guy that wrote the Gospel according to John. NOT John the apostle.
Last edited by Monster on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Monster » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:20 pm

angawawa wrote:And what about all the Christian women? By default they are about the worst of all the sinners, and none of them will be caught up in the rapture.

The wording is "those who haven't defiled themselves with women". So it might mean:

1. Nongay women as well as virgin men.
2. Only virgin men.

:mrgreen:

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:12 pm

Monster wrote:
angawawa wrote:And what about all the Christian women? By default they are about the worst of all the sinners, and none of them will be caught up in the rapture.

The wording is "those who haven't defiled themselves with women". So it might mean:

2. Only virgin men.

And nonvirgin gay men.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Monster » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:37 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Monster wrote:

2. Only virgin men.

And nonvirgin gay men.

Right. Thanks for reminding me. Virgin and nonvirgin gay men.

OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer

Post by OutOfBreath » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:50 am

Angawawa.

John is traditionally the apostle of Jesus, or the same author as the letters and gospel. Current scholarship doesn't hold that interpetation.

Use of magic numbers are endemic in symbolic and fairy tale texts. Numbers like 3, 7, 12 (especially 12 coming from a region of the world that used to use a 12 number system, making 12 a "round number") have magic properties.

The 7 churches mentioned are the first 7 churches in 1st century Anatolia (modern day Turkey). (See? 7)

Every word of the bible isn't false, and you can read some true information out of it. However it is mostly ridiculously biased and slanted in it's presentation, so the real information lies mostly in the more neutral descriptions and inbetween the lines.

We dont generally take everything Plato said as being true. Early history writers didn't distinguish well between tall tales, myths and real accounts. And Plato wasn't a history writer either, but a philosopher (who emphasized mental ideal types over reality no less).

The 12 tribes of Israel shows that the writer is most likely jewish, or rather jewish christian. How christians can read that and somehow fit themselves in there I have no idea.

I find it interesting that nothing like the rapture is even alluded to in revelations (went and read it now of course). It is perhaps a coping trick be modern christians to exclude themselves from the suffering. According to revelations, they will surely share in the suffering. Only already martyred saints of the jewish tribes are exempt.

For some context around revelations, the wikipedia entry is rather informative. As are the entries on most books of the bible, actually.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Revelation

Peace
Dan
Last edited by OutOfBreath on Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Monster » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:43 pm

Have y'all ever read Conservapedia's entry on the Bible? It's filled with false information, unsurprisingly.

http://conservapedia.com/Bible