Little Alchemy

If the red house has blue shutters and the green house has red shutters, what's this section for?
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Little Alchemy

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:07 pm

Little Alchemy is an online god game in which you begin with the four basic elements—air, earth, fire, and water—and combine them to create new things, which can then be combined. For example, if you combine fire and water, you get steam. Combine water and water to get sea. There are a total of 560 items that can be made.

The mechanics are simple: Just drag the elements from the column at right onto the board. To combine them, drop one atop another. Once you have a large number of items, it helps to array them on the board so you can see them all at once. (I've arrayed mine in categories.) I only have 61 items so far, and already have a telescope and a blender. :wgrin:

Now to create some humans, give them free will, watch as they screw everything up, and smite them mercilessly. :twisted:

Edit: I just made a Tardis!
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Re: Little Alchemy

Postby Poodle » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:15 pm

Made a wall in three turns. I'm fairly happy with that.
(But yeah - good game).
(But 560 is WAYYYYY too few - someone needs to get their skates on).
(Can you make skates?)

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:52 pm

Don't go here!!!!!!!!!!!

https://littlealchemyguide.com/

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:59 pm

Well, that'll be useful if I really get stuck. Only as a last resort, though. I prefer to wrack my brain.

Oh, I forgot to mention that if the name of an item is underlined, no further combinations can be made with it. So that's helpful to know.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:00 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:Edit: I just made a Tardis!

The fifth element!! :o
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:15 pm

That's pretty addictive. I got 47 items so far. It was pretty easy to make an atomic explosion. But things aren't combining the way I'd like. Stuff like atmosphere and rain should combine for something, for example.

I'm trying to make an aircraft carrier.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:27 pm

Monster wrote:That's pretty addictive. I got 47 items so far. It was pretty easy to make an atomic explosion. But things aren't combining the way I'd like. Stuff like atmosphere and rain should combine for something, for example.

I'm trying to make an aircraft carrier.

I agree. A few combinations I tried seemed common sense, but didn't work. Blade + Tree ≠ Wood, for example. I guess I have to figure out how to make an axe.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:33 pm

So.........its seems not to be a "logic" game but more a game of discovering random assignments? Logically--water and earth make mud which can make bricks which can make houses, cities and so forth. Don't see how you get to a telescope or aircraft carrier except by random choices finally getting to whatever combos are provided by the game its self. Not really "alchemy" but like guess and play?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:23 pm

I stopped at 86. I've had enough.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:03 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:So.........its seems not to be a "logic" game but more a game of discovering random assignments? Logically--water and earth make mud which can make bricks which can make houses, cities and so forth. Don't see how you get to a telescope or aircraft carrier except by random choices finally getting to whatever combos are provided by the game its self. Not really "alchemy" but like guess and play?

Most logical choices work. I don't even remember how I got telescope, TBH. I'm current at 200/560, mainly because I figured out "life" and "human" and was able to combine both of them with lots of things I already had.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:27 pm

Made it to the halfway point! Without, I might add, any hints.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:32 pm

There is "no logic" to get to telescope by adding combos of the 4 elements. "It has to be" simple pre-assigned values that you guess at to reveal.

How am I wrong?....................whats the "formula" for telescope........or anything easy to post?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:44 am

Telescope = Sky + Glass

I agree that logic would be a better basis for this game. I've attempted to combine some elements that made sense with no results. For example, I've got Day, Sun, Night, Star, and Meteor...but I can't get Moon. I tried Night + Light...and got Day again. (Night + Sun also created Day.)

I also think the game would improve if you could combine more than two elements at a time.

However, I have gotten some surprising results too, like the Tardis, a Lightsaber, the Titanic, and various mythical creatures.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:14 am

Thanks Nikki: that is actually a pretty good one. Sky being air, and Glass being earth and fire? Hmmm...."logically" earth and water and fire to make clay?

The Moon? I agree that Night (however you get that) and light (however you get that) is "logical.".....although there is nothing about night that is a constituency of the moon or anything else.

Just the kind of "game" I hate. Logic is logic, finding chance assignments is just that.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:10 pm

Exactly. I'm up to 321 elements now. For some, there is logic. For others, a twisted kind of sense that I can't grace with the word "logic." There are some elements that lead to a host of others. For example, once you get "human," that can be combined with a ton of other elements to get various types of humans. "House" is another one.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:15 pm

Nikki wrote:Star, and Meteor...but I can't get Moon.

Try Star + Meteor. :-P

...that pond it seems me many multiplied of fishes.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:29 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Nikki wrote:Star, and Meteor...but I can't get Moon.

Try Star + Meteor. :-P

...that pond it seems me many multiplied of fishes.

I did finally get Moon, but I think it was Stone + Sky.

Edit: Just hit 360, so I only have 200 left.
Edit: I'm at 400 now...160 left.

Return to “Brainteasers”