Ditloids

If the red house has blue shutters and the green house has red shutters, what's this section for?
User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Ditloids

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:08 am

A ditloit is a word puzzle invented by Will Shortz, crossword puzzle creator and current crossword puzzle editor for the New York Times. Basically, it starts with a phrase that includes a number, then all but the number and the initial letters of the words is removed, excepting articles, conjunctions, and prepositions. For example, the phrase 52 cards in a deck would be rendered 52 C in a D in ditloid form. The solvers attempt to figure out the initial phrase.

Here are a few more examples:
12 I to a F = 12 inches to a foot
3 B M (S H T R) - 3 blind mice (see how they run)
8 D a W = 8 days a week
The phrases can be culled from just about anywhere.

Here are ten that are all in the same category:
1 F O the C N
2 M for S S
3 C in the F
4 W and a F
5 E P
6 D of S
7 B for 7 B
8 H in a D B
12 A M
T N 23
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29100
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Ditloids

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:59 am

Matt should be good at those.

Hey Matt! They're movie titles!

(I'm still working on 2, 3, and 8....)
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29100
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Ditloids

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:01 am

Oh! I got 2 now. Still working on 3 and 8.

(Haha, the "S S" had me thinking too much about Nazis! It's not Nazis. It's absolutely not.)
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4129
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Ditloids

Postby gorgeous » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:24 am

movie titles huh?...ok ..I'll say Jaws II...no one will think of that one...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 11310
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Ditloids

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:49 am

I thought a "Ditlord" was someone who just repeats stuff they've heard someone else say without any critical thought of their own.

Sorry, my dyslexia playing up again. As you were...
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Ditloids

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:04 am

gorgeous wrote:movie titles huh?...ok ..I'll say Jaws II...no one will think of that one...

It's not a guessing game; it's a brainteaser, a puzzle to be solved. So, you're wrong, because there was no "J 2" clue. Yeesh. I feel like I've just had a C E of the 3rd K.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29100
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Ditloids

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:17 am

Major Malfunction wrote:I thought a "Ditlord" was someone who just repeats stuff they've heard someone else say without any critical thought of their own.

Where did you hear that?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 11310
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Ditloids

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:21 am

It's hard to say where the voices come from.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29100
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Ditloids

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:36 am

I get that sometimes too. Have you tried turning off the TV?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26363
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Ditloids

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:40 am

Gord wrote:Matt should be good at those. Hey Matt! They're movie titles!
Я не вижу ни одного фильма в этом списке! :D
solaris.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 11310
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Ditloids

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:25 am

Gord wrote:I get that sometimes too. Have you tried turning off the TV?

Yep. Now it's just me and the bats in the belfry. And the constantly cooing doves, cawing ravens, and screeching flocks of parrots.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29100
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Ditloids

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:38 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Gord wrote:Matt should be good at those. Hey Matt! They're movie titles!
Я не вижу ни одного фильма в этом списке! :D
solaris.jpg

No, Solaris isn't one of them.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Ditloids

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:55 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
Gord wrote:I get that sometimes too. Have you tried turning off the TV?

Yep. Now it's just me and the bats in the belfry. And the constantly cooing doves, cawing ravens, and screeching flocks of parrots.

You have bats in your belfry?! I'm totally envious. I only have toys in my attic.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29100
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Ditloids

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:24 pm

Fine then, I gave everyone else a chance. :beee:

LunaNik wrote:Here are ten that are all in the same category:
1 F O the C N
2 M for S S
3 C in the F
4 W and a F
5 E P
6 D of S
7 B for 7 B
8 H in a D B
12 A M
T N 23

1 Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
2 Mules for Sister...[crap, I've forgotten her name!]...is it Sarah? Shirley? Santa?
3 Coins in the Fountain
4 Weddings and a Funeral
5 Easy Pieces
6 Degrees of Separation
7 Brides for 7 Brothers
8 Heads in a Duffel Bag
12 Angry Men
The Number 23

7 was the easy one and gave me the clue that led me to the rest. After I had that, 6 and 12 fell easily into place, followed by 1, 4, and 23. Had trouble with 2 (and apparently I still do!), 3, and 8.

It's funny how brains work. Mine said to me yesterday, for no obvious reason at the time, "Three Coins in the Fountain". Took me a minute to remember why I was trying to remember that movie title.

Oh yeah, and 5 Easy Pieces needed me to ask someone if there was a movie by that name, because I wasn't sure if I was making it up myself.

(Just don't ask me to name any of the actors from any of those movies and I'll be fine.)
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29100
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Ditloids

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:25 pm

...Sister Susan?...
Samantha.
Sheryl.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Ditloids

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:38 pm

Gord wrote:...Sister Susan?...
Samantha.
Sheryl.

It's Sarah. And well done!
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Ditloids

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:56 pm

Here's another. The last one should be enough of a hint to solve the category. (No need to wait until you've solved them all...feel free to post 'em as you solve 'em.)

7 B R
I G B (500 M)
G 3 S
50 W to L Y L
B 10-I R
H 19
2 M to M
8 M H
30 D in the H
19th N B
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29100
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Ditloids

Postby Gord » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:36 am

I'm terrible with song titles, but even I can recognise 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10209
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Ditloids

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:51 pm

Its really simple:

7 Brides Return
I Got Boned (500 Miles)
Got 3 Sawbucks
50 Wires to Light Your Lanyard
Be 10 Isn't Right
Hotel 19
2 Men to Montana
8 Miniature Horses
30 Dudes in the House
19th Northern border
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Ditloids

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:01 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Its really simple:

7 Brides Return
I Got Boned (500 Miles)
Got 3 Sawbucks
50 Wires to Light Your Lanyard
Be 10 Isn't Right
Hotel 19
2 Men to Montana
8 Miniature Horses
30 Dudes in the House
19th Northern border

ImageImage
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein


Return to “Brainteasers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest