Invisible Idiot

If the red house has blue shutters and the green house has red shutters, what's this section for?
Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Invisible Idiot

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:48 am

LunaNik wrote:
Gord wrote:Okay, I'm working on one now. But it's weird and may take me a few hours.
Days must be extremely long on your planet. :wgrin:

I forgot. The list of "things" I was going to use turned out to repeatedly use the same word, and I couldn't think of enough ways to give different clues towards the same result. It was harder than I thought! So I fell asleep. :glare:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:12 am

Gord wrote:
LunaNik wrote:
Gord wrote:Okay, I'm working on one now. But it's weird and may take me a few hours.
Days must be extremely long on your planet. :wgrin:

I forgot. The list of "things" I was going to use turned out to repeatedly use the same word, and I couldn't think of enough ways to give different clues towards the same result. It was harder than I thought! So I fell asleep. :glare:

That is one annoying thing. The word "the" is the hardest to disguise...and it seems to be the most common.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:08 am

I'll switch categories. I was going to do Richard Feynman books, but there are only so many ways I've managed to work out "physics".

Although I will give you this one, for now:

1. Mrs. Maclaine | olde times | Mr. Schmoe - queen's husband | didn't hit - Sumerian city-state situated at the site of modern Tell el-Muqayyar | thin - guy

(Hint: There's no "physics" in that one)
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:41 am

Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman!
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:10 am

Yes.

The other titles were going to include Quantum Electrodynamics, Quantum Mechanics and Path Integrals, The Principle of Least Action in Quantum Mechanics, Elementary Particles and the Laws of Physics, The Physics Teacher, and The Feynman Lectures on Physics. One more problem with it, though: The Physics Teacher isn't one of his books, it's a journal in which he published a paper called "What is Science?"

So...yeah, I suck at making lists. :?
#ANDAMOVIE

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:17 pm

It does help to be selective about category in this game. I can see how "quantum" and "physics" would cause some problems after a few go rounds.

Return to “Brainteasers”