Tricky math question!

If the red house has blue shutters and the green house has red shutters, what's this section for?
Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Tricky math question!

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:03 am

Challenge: Divide fourteen sugar cubes into three cups of coffee so that each cup has an odd number of sugar cubes in it.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

jannette
Regular Poster
Custom Title: I am

Re: Tricky math question!

Postby jannette » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:19 am

Spoiler:
Take the 3 cups of coffee and pour
it into 4 glasses, 1 in the first glass,
3 in the next, 5 in the next and 5 in the last glass.

might not be right but it works for me lol
Good bye cruel internet world. My days here are numbered.
This comp' sucks & I just lost my phone. :(
The End
FIN.

I may be right.
I may be wrong.
I just tell it like I see it. <(*.*)>

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:29 am

Haha! That's thinking outside the box, I like it!

Not the answer I was given though. ;)
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:38 am

Zero's kind of an odd number, isn't it?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:52 am

fromthehills wrote:Zero's kind of an odd number, isn't it?

Kinda. ;)
#ANDAMOVIE

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:01 am

Divide 7 cubes into smaller cubes - 1 horizontal and 1 vertical cut gives 7x8=56 little cubes and 7 big cubes. 63/3=21/cup, but there are many other solutions.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:13 am

Gord wrote:Challenge: Divide fourteen sugar cubes into three cups of coffee so that each cup has an odd number of sugar cubes in it.

Spoiler:
It's not possible to solve this using only the standard mathematical definitions of the terms, therefore the answer to this riddle is based on an equivocation of one of the terms, most likely the word "odd". And by "odd" you probably mean "weird" or "strange" or "unusual". Since 12 is an unusual number of sugar cubes to put in a cup of coffee, the answer is 1, 1, and 12.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:36 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:Divide 7 cubes into smaller cubes - 1 horizontal and 1 vertical cut gives 7x8=56 little cubes and 7 big cubes. 63/3=21/cup, but there are many other solutions.

Interesting. And yes, there are many other solutions. That's what I like about these "tricky" ones; you get a lot of interesting solutions.
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:37 am

xouper wrote:
Gord wrote:Challenge: Divide fourteen sugar cubes into three cups of coffee so that each cup has an odd number of sugar cubes in it.

Spoiler:
It's not possible to solve this using only the standard mathematical definitions of the terms, therefore the answer to this riddle is based on an equivocation of one of the terms, most likely the word "odd". And by "odd" you probably mean "weird" or "strange" or "unusual". Since 12 is an unusual number of sugar cubes to put in a cup of coffee, the answer is 1, 1, and 12.

Correct! And by "correct" I mean you got it word for word, which makes me suspect Googling! :shakefist:
#ANDAMOVIE

jannette
Regular Poster

Postby jannette » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:14 pm

I prefer thinking outside the box. tehe...
It's fun thinking up different solutions
thanx for posting it. :)

Hey if 12 is an odd # because 1+2=3
then there is another answer, 1/3/10.
The End
FIN.

I may be right.
I may be wrong.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:59 pm

xouper wrote:

Spoiler:

I knew it must have been something like that when I said zero is kind of an odd number.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:37 pm

If a red train with 50 passengers leaves Los Angeles at 5 pm, heading west at 100 mph and a blue train carrying 75 passengers leaves Boston at 4:45 pm, heading east at 120 mph., why should it matter how much %$#@# sugar I put in my $#%@ coffee?
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

brauneyz
Persistent Poster

Postby brauneyz » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:46 pm

ruben lopez wrote:If a red train with 50 passengers leaves Los Angeles at 5 pm, heading west at 100 mph and a blue train carrying 75 passengers leaves Boston at 4:45 pm, heading east at 120 mph., why should it matter how much %$#@# sugar I put in my $#%@ coffee?

Yeah, I excelled at algebra, too! ;)
"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves." ~ Bertrand de Jouvenel

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:01 pm

brauneyz wrote:
ruben lopez wrote:If a red train with 50 passengers leaves Los Angeles at 5 pm, heading west at 100 mph and a blue train carrying 75 passengers leaves Boston at 4:45 pm, heading east at 120 mph., why should it matter how much %$#@# sugar I put in my $#%@ coffee?

Its another trick question. The hidden question is 'which train will be the first to be hijacked by Somali pirates?'
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

brauneyz
Persistent Poster

Postby brauneyz » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:08 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
brauneyz wrote:

Its another trick question. The hidden question is 'which train will be the first to be hijacked by Somali pirates?'

What? Pirates don't have rights any more? Arrrgh .... :duel:
"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves." ~ Bertrand de Jouvenel

jannette
Regular Poster

Postby jannette » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:19 pm

Because when you use too much sugar
you will get there before the train.
Then you get impatient waiting. lol
The End
FIN.

I may be right.
I may be wrong.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:25 pm

brauneyz wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
brauneyz wrote:

What? Pirates don't have rights any more? Arrrgh .... :duel:

Sure we they do. That's why Ruben sent us them a couple of trains.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:26 am

I actually used to take 12 sugar in my coffee.

But looks where I am now...!
#ANDAMOVIE

T. A. Gardner

Postby T. A. Gardner » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:19 am

What I want to know is how long does it take the two trains to end up in the ocean...?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:12 am

T. A. Gardner wrote:

What I want to know is how long does it take the two trains to end up in the ocean...?

I wonder the same thing about every train.
#ANDAMOVIE

Martin Brock
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Martin Brock » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:08 pm

1. Place 7 cubes in cup 1.
2. Place 5 cubes in cup 2.
3. Place 1 cube in cup 3.
4. Drink coffee in cup 3.
5. Place 1 cube in cup 3.
People associating freely respect norms of their choice, and relationships governed this way are necessarily interdependent.

More central authorities conquer by dividing, imposing norms channeling the value of synergy toward themselves.

"Every man for himself" is the prescription of a state, not a free community. A state protects the poor from the rich only in fairy tales.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:03 am

Aha! But then it's not a 'cup of coffee'! And you can't have sugar 'cubes' in coffee, because they dissolve.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:58 pm

Mug 1: Two cubes
Mug 2: Five cubes
Mug 3: Seven cubes

All mugs hold a prime number of cubes. Prime numbers are strange. Strange is a synonym for odd.
QED

Numerology!
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:46 pm

T. A. Gardner wrote:

Wow. I just saw my mistake. I didn't realize what I typed until now. I apologize for the error.

The correct question is: If a BLUE train with 50 passengers leaves Los Angeles at 5 pm, heading west at 100 mph and a RED train carrying 75 passengers leaves Boston at 4:45 pm, heading east at 120 mph...

I regret any inconvenience I may have caused.
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

brauneyz
Persistent Poster

Postby brauneyz » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:12 pm

ruben lopez wrote:
T. A. Gardner wrote:

Wow. I just saw my mistake. I didn't realize what I typed until now. I apologize for the error.

The correct question is: If a BLUE train with 50 passengers leaves Los Angeles at 5 pm, heading west at 100 mph and a RED train carrying 75 passengers leaves Boston at 4:45 pm, heading east at 120 mph...

I regret any inconvenience I may have caused.

I see what you did there! :)

Ron Paul 2012

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:02 pm

I ain't never gonna figure me out no maffs.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Martin Brock
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Martin Brock » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:14 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:Aha! But then it's not a 'cup of coffee'! And you can't have sugar 'cubes' in coffee, because they dissolve.

In the second clause, "cube" describes a quantity of sugar, not a shape.

Or the third cup has an odd number of cubes before its cube melts and I drink the coffee, and it also has an odd number of cubes, so It comes down to the meaning that "has" has.
People associating freely respect norms of their choice, and relationships governed this way are necessarily interdependent.

More central authorities conquer by dividing, imposing norms channeling the value of synergy toward themselves.

"Every man for himself" is the prescription of a state, not a free community. A state protects the poor from the rich only in fairy tales.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:02 am

Martin Brock wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:Aha! But then it's not a 'cup of coffee'! And you can't have sugar 'cubes' in coffee, because they dissolve.

In the second clause, "cube" describes a quantity of sugar, not a shape.

Or the third cup has an odd number of cubes before its cube melts and I drink the coffee, and it also has an odd number of cubes, so It comes down to the meaning that "has" has.

Thank you, Mr. President. :lol:
#ANDAMOVIE

Face_Palm
BANNED

Postby Face_Palm » Fri May 04, 2012 8:53 pm

Good one, oldie.
:borg: 2.0

Return to “Brainteasers”