How to survive?

If the red house has blue shutters and the green house has red shutters, what's this section for?
cartiii
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:38 am

How to survive?

Post by cartiii » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:48 am

You encounter a man as you travel.

The man says, "If you lie to me I will kill you with my knife. If you tell me the truth, I will kill you with my gun."

Assume that if you try to fight or escape, you will be killed.

What must you say to survive.

User avatar
Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5392
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:38 pm
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Re: How to survive?

Post by Daedalus » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:17 pm

cartiii wrote:You encounter a man as you travel.

The man says, "If you lie to me I will kill you with my knife. If you tell me the truth, I will kill you with my gun."

Assume that if you try to fight or escape, you will be killed.

What must you say to survive.


Nothing.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

User avatar
Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5184
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk
Location: Detroit

Re: How to survive?

Post by Austin Harper » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Or you could say, "You'll kill me with your knife," just to mess with him.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9752
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: How to survive?

Post by Poodle » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:42 am

Austin Harper wrote:Or you could say, "You'll kill me with your knife," just to mess with him.


... at which point the man shoots you and stabs you at precisely the same instant and says "Stick your logical paradox where the sun don't shine".

Really, though, you're correct in accordance with the information given. Unless the man always told lies. But we don't know that. Maybe the old "Who's that behind you?" thing followed by a sharp rap on the head?

User avatar
Rob Lister
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1221
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:07 pm
Custom Title: Spline Reticulator
Location: My own little world

Re: How to survive?

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:00 am

A karate chop, Maxwell Smart style. 99's got your back.
Skeptic much? Sure you do.
http://www.skepticalcommunity.com/forum ... ive_topics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 32190
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: How to survive?

Post by Gord » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:09 pm

Tell him something that can neither be confirmed nor denied. Like "I love you".
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12482
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: How to survive?

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:13 pm

Yo Mumma.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
moth1ne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1704
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:41 pm
Custom Title: theyscanhearsmythots
Location: Washington

Re: How to survive?

Post by moth1ne » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:51 pm

Ask the first question. You can't lie or tell the truth if your the one asking questions:

Me: "What's there to lie or tell the truth about?" (you haven't lied or told the truth and now the tables are turned).
Man: "Do you want to live?"
Me: "Where? Like here? Or in Sub-saharan Africa?

You could just keep asking questions in response to his questions until he becomes disinterested or lowers his guard, then you maxwell smart chop his ass...
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan, The Demon Haunted World

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12482
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: How to survive?

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:58 pm

Or you could just say hello.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5392
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:38 pm
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Re: How to survive?

Post by Daedalus » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:57 pm

moth1ne wrote:Ask the first question. You can't lie or tell the truth if your the one asking questions:

Me: "What's there to lie or tell the truth about?" (you haven't lied or told the truth and now the tables are turned).
Man: "Do you want to live?"
Me: "Where? Like here? Or in Sub-saharan Africa?

You could just keep asking questions in response to his questions until he becomes disinterested or lowers his guard, then you maxwell smart chop his ass...


:heh:
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 32190
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: How to survive?

Post by Gord » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:05 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:Or you could just say hello.

No, that won't work. In Malawi, "hello" means "I just felated you".
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9752
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: How to survive?

Post by Poodle » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 am

Got it ...

a) Say "The following stuff has been posted in the Skeptic Society Forum" and then follow up by reciting the whole sea serpent thread. At some point the guy will either fall asleep or die laughing.

You're home and dry.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 9041
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: How to survive?

Post by Aztexan » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:33 pm

Or you could just stay home and avoid that maniacal gun-and-knife wielding bastard altogether.
trump is Putin's bitch

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 32190
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: How to survive?

Post by Gord » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:16 pm

Aztexan wrote:Or you could just stay home and avoid that maniacal gun-and-knife wielding bastard altogether.

Or you could go out and BE that maniacal gun-and-knife wielding bastard!

Proactive! Yeah!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

cartiii
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:38 am

Re: How to survive?

Post by cartiii » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:16 pm

Austin Harper wrote:Or you could say, "You'll kill me with your knife," just to mess with him.


Actually, this is correct answer. :)

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28917
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: How to survive?

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:17 pm

Gord wrote: No, that won't work. In Malawi, "hello" means "I just felated you".

OK. That now explains what happened at the Malawi airport. I was just trying to shake hands and say hello when.......all of a sudden......

User avatar
Wordbird
Poster
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:03 pm

Re: How to survive?

Post by Wordbird » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:16 am

cartiii wrote:You encounter a man as you travel.

The man says, "If you lie to me I will kill you with my knife. If you tell me the truth, I will kill you with my gun."

Assume that if you try to fight or escape, you will be killed.

What must you say to survive.
"Your gun can't kill me."

This is a bit more my style because it's boastful and true, assuming the man tells the truth.

I also like this one:

"If you dare kill me with that gun, you will fall victim to every disease on the planet simultaneously and your brain will turn into worms that pour out of your eye sockets, which will then be raped by Christmas Critters for a year and a day while you are mysteriously alive and conscious and in the worst agony imaginable."

Note: If he kills me with the knife, this if-statement is true, meaning he can't actually kill me with the knife because I didn't lie. His only choice is to kill me with the gun and have all that stuff actually happen.

In other words, I will see your paradox and raise you an if, cowboy. You in or out?

Image

This is how you sling logic in the wild west. I'm the fastest gun there is. Watch.

"If you kill me with that gun, you have to shoot yourself dead first."

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22154
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: How to survive?

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:52 am

Best 8:34 of mindless violent in movie history.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Wordbird
Poster
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:03 pm

Re: How to survive?

Post by Wordbird » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:37 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Best 8:34 of mindless violent in movie history.
I just watched the final season of Westworld, fell in love with Dolores, and wanted to participate in some sort of crazy version of the Old West where sci-fi collides with WTF and my intellect was considered as amazing as skill with a gun.

So now all logic problems shall be cowboy themed and I'm the fastest damn gun in the West.

Edit: I'm also still a baby chicken.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22154
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: How to survive?

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:43 am

You should watch " Cowboy Beebop".
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 32190
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: How to survive?

Post by Gord » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:06 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:You should watch " Cowboy Beebop".
Excellent advice.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
Wordbird
Poster
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:03 pm

Re: How to survive?

Post by Wordbird » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:44 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:You should watch " Cowboy Beebop".
Have already done so. Amazing universes.

Wolf's Rain is done by the same person and it's equally cool.

Dinner on Ganymede anyone?

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 32190
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: How to survive?

Post by Gord » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:14 pm

Hey-o, Cowboy Bebop! Just found a new (September 25th) video from Wisecrack about Cowboy Bebop, thought I'd share it with y'all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YR4ZrA0xeM
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12482
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: How to survive?

Post by Major Malfunction » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:11 pm

Gord wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:You should watch " Cowboy Beebop".
Excellent advice.
And this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fMN8a3ZRUY
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 32190
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: How to survive?

Post by Gord » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:46 pm

I loved The Rifleman! I used to stay up until 6 am just to watch it.

:scratch:

Okay, in hindsight, maybe I should have just woken up early to watch it.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22154
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: How to survive?

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:52 pm

Gord wrote:I loved The Rifleman! I used to stay up until 6 am just to watch it.

:scratch:

Okay, in hindsight, maybe I should have just woken up early to watch it.
Came on right before "Branded". Mom had her {!#%@}-kicker reload for the week. Of course we watched "Wagon Train", "The Virginian", "The Big Valley", "Have Nun, Will Travel", all that {!#%@}.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 32190
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: How to survive?

Post by Gord » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:48 pm

Branded, also a good one. I used to sing the theme song and nobody else ever knew where it was from. School councelors would call me in to their offices and ask me if I was feeling persecuted. I don't know why, it was such a happy song!

https://youtu.be/uV-7D4io1Rs?t=30s

All but one man died
There at Bitter Creek
And they say he ran away.

Branded!
Marked with a coward's shame
What do you do when you're branded
Will you fight for your name

He was innocent
Not a charge was true
But the world will never know

Branded!
Scorned as the one who ran
What do you do when you're branded
And you know you're a man

And wherever you go
for the rest of your life
You must prove
You're a man!

Branded!


...hmmm, maybe it just felt happy because of the way I sang it. :|
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22154
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: How to survive?

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:33 pm

It takes a "real man" to endure calumny for the higher good.

I know that's true because it said it in this cookie I got with dinner.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12482
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: How to survive?

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:41 pm

Gord wrote:I loved The Rifleman! I used to stay up until 6 am just to watch it.
My mother loved it too. She named me for the character.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22154
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: How to survive?

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:03 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
Gord wrote:I loved The Rifleman! I used to stay up until 6 am just to watch it.
My mother loved it too. She named me for the character.
She named you "The"?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12482
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: How to survive?

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:22 pm

Yep. Theodore.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22154
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: How to survive?

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:16 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:Yep. Theodore.
The Odor, got it.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12482
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: How to survive?

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:22 pm

It's got a 'u' in it. Stupid {!#%@} Yanks...
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22154
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: How to survive?

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:24 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:It's got a 'u' in it. Stupid {!#%@} Yanks...
Oradour Sur Glane?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12482
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: How to survive?

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:30 pm

Better than Nathaniel, which is what my father wanted to name me. Glad Mum won that one.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22154
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: How to survive?

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:22 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:Better than Nathaniel, which is what my father wanted to name me. Glad Mum won that one.
Mums are like that.

Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12482
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: How to survive?

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:41 pm

Nathaniel is a bit of a dickhead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtI70W-Jxi4
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 32190
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: How to survive?

Post by Gord » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:15 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:It's got a 'u' in it. Stupid {!#%@} Yanks...
Oradour Sur Glane?
I think he meant "The odure".




...I shouldn't need to include this, but what the heck, just in case there are any Neanderthals* reading my post today: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ordure






*You know who you are! :shakefist:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22154
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: How to survive?

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:29 am

Hey! I resemble that remark!
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12482
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: How to survive?

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:01 pm

eau de toilette

Oh the toilet.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.