Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Creationism, Intelligent Design, and Evolution.
User avatar
CMc
Poster
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:00 pm

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby CMc » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:54 pm

bigtim wrote:well... some of us did... some of us were short legged and massively torsoed for spring attacks to kill beasts with spears... and we interbred with your long legged women!

YOU SWINE!

User avatar
bigtim
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4076
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:04 pm
Custom Title: Skeptical Berserker
Location: Miðgarðr

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby bigtim » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:42 pm

CMc wrote:
bigtim wrote:well... some of us did... some of us were short legged and massively torsoed for spring attacks to kill beasts with spears... and we interbred with your long legged women!

YOU SWINE!


All your genes belong to us!
~
BigTim
"I'm not entirely convinced that ValHalla isn't real."

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7018
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby landrew » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:46 am

bigtim wrote:
landrew wrote:
jcity wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:The article has no references. Without comparative and supporting data, the statement that a pig could run a marathon in 3 hours is an unsubstantiated claim.

Because it's unlikely anybody will force a pig to run a marathon, this burden of proof will never be met. However, there is evidence available that also bypasses your efficiency argument. This abstract indicates that trained pigs achieve 5 m/s or 18 km/h at VO2max. In Noakes' The Lore of Running, 4th ed., p. 48, there is a chart showing VO2 versus running speed for nine elite runners. I think it's reasonable to assume that elite runners will, if anything, be more efficient than the average person. At 18 km/h the VO2 ranges from about 50 to 70 mL O2/kg/min. Now refer to the chart labeled "VO2 Max In Athletes and Non Athletes" on this page. This chart gives a good indication of typical human VO2max. You'll note that even trained athletes generally fall into the 50-70 mL O2/kg/min range.

Bottom line: Pigs have raw athletic ability that is similar to that of people.

Swine are not adapted for sustained running. They may sprint out of the way of a predator, maybe inflict a bite or two and duck into the brush. They are not a plains animal like a gazelle, a zebra or a human being. We spent a long portion of our evolution on the African savanna, eating grass seeds and chasing down game.


well... some of us did... some of us were short legged and massively torsoed for spring attacks to kill beasts with spears... and we interbred with your long legged women!

Now that's an evolutionary puzzle; that long-legged women would be favored by natural selection...
It seems to me the short-legged ones ones would have been captured by men more easily and impregnated, and the longer-legged ones would have escaped.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26383
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:09 am

landrew wrote: Now that's an evolutionary puzzle; that long-legged women would be favored by natural selection...
It seems to me the short-legged ones ones would have been captured by men more easily and impregnated, and the longer-legged ones would have escaped.


Tsk tsk tsk.....sexism. It may have been that all early cavemen looked like shaggy versions of "Brad Pitt". Thus the long legged women could chase down the men for impregnation and the short legged women missed out.

I'm saying that if long-legged Raquel Welsh, in her animal skin bikini from 1million years BC chased you down, you would probably put up a struggle but she would have her wicked way with you eventually. However if short legged Angela Landsbury from Murder She Wrote chased you down in her animal skin bikini you would run alot faster. ( I tried this experiment at uni using underwear fashion models but I was able to out run the girls everytime....I had mixed feelings about this result...cough cough..)

User avatar
brauneyz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3767
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:13 pm
Location: Everywhere, USA

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby brauneyz » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:02 am

That's it! Clearly as a 5'2" redhead, my animal skin bikini is a supreme waste of time. In the trash it goes. :D

FWIW: I'd take Raquel Welch (even today at sixty-something) over that insipid creature Brad "Milquetoast" Pitt any day, and I don't even like girls! Have you seen her lately? If any of that is real, she is phenomenal.

Pitt needs a shave.
"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves." ~ Bertrand de Jouvenel

User avatar
bigtim
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4076
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:04 pm
Custom Title: Skeptical Berserker
Location: Miðgarðr

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby bigtim » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:14 am

brauneyz wrote:That's it! Clearly as a 5'2" redhead, my animal skin bikini is a supreme waste of time. In the trash it goes. :D

FWIW: I'd take Raquel Welch (even today at sixty-something) over that insipid creature Brad "Milquetoast" Pitt any day, and I don't even like girls! Have you seen her lately? If any of that is real, she is phenomenal.

Pitt needs a shave.


Yup, and I find that hawt..

when you're watching a movie and your WIFE says "damned, I'd do her" it gives you tingles like you never imagined....
~

BigTim

"I'm not entirely convinced that ValHalla isn't real."

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7018
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby landrew » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:28 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:

I'm saying that if long-legged Raquel Welsh, in her animal skin bikini from 1million years BC chased you down, you would probably put up a struggle but she would have her wicked way with you eventually. However if short legged Angela Landsbury from Murder She Wrote chased you down in her animal skin bikini you would run alot faster.

Great. now I'm going to have nightmares!
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26383
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:33 am

Re: 1 Million Years BC

bigtim wrote: when you're watching a movie and your WIFE says "damned, I'd do her" it gives you tingles like you never imagined....


That's good news. If your wife said "damned, I'd do it" and a dinosaur was on screen then you might have a problem.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 11318
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:35 am

jcity wrote:Because it's unlikely anybody will force a pig to run a marathon, this burden of proof will never be met.

Why not? Just stick it on a treadmill at 20 km/h for two hours and see if it dies.

jcity wrote:Bottom line: Pigs have raw athletic ability that is similar to that of people.

They consume about the same amount of oxygen as humans at similar speed. But "about" and "similar" don't cut the mustard on the Savannah.

Your abstract says:
For full capacity utilisation of VO2max, untrained pigs can be challenged at belt velocities between 0.8 and 1.8 m/s-1 and trained animals at 5 m/s-1.

Full capacity? Challenged? At 18 km/h?

And as your other link goes on to say:
In elite athletes, VO2 max is not a good predictor of performance. The winner of a marathon race for example, cannot be predicted from maximal oxygen uptake (15).

Perhaps more significant than VO2 max is the speed at which an athlete can run, bike or swim at VO2 max. Two athletes may have the same level of aerobic power but one may reach their VO2 max at a running speed of 20 km/hr and the other at 22 km/hr.

While a high VO2 max may be a prerequisite for performance in endurance events at the highest level, other markers such as lactate threshold are more predictive of performance (3). Again, the speed at lactate threshold is more significant than the actual value itself.

Think of VO2 max as an athlete’s aerobic potential and the lactate threshold as the marker for how much of that potential they are tapping.


As I've said, it doesn't matter how much oxygen you can suck in, it's how you use it.

The difference only needs to be slight. We're already starting the race with the advantage of superior heat dissipation. Now I'm seeing a 4 km/h speed advantage, which means the human can keep a little in reserve. He's cool and aerobic at slightly higher than pig speed, and the pig is getting hot and buying an oxygen debt.

The next obvious question is: How efficient are pig's muscles at dealing with the by-products of anaerobic metabolism (lactic acid) compared to humans?
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10407
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:48 am

Will the pig run to exhaustion, or will it run to some level of discomfort and turn to face its pursuer?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 11318
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:20 am

That's even better. I don't have to carry its heavy-arse carcass as far.

You know? Coz if I chase the blighter for 50 kms before it curls up and dies, I have to carry it another 50 kms. That's one of the reasons I invite my friends along.

All this talk about endurance running reminds me of an Aussie running legend... Cliff Young.

He ran a race of nearly 1000 km. In gumboots. Age 61. And won.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7018
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby landrew » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:25 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "savanna" the grassland, and "Savannah" the pornstar?
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 11318
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:58 pm

Depends on how hot your geography teacher is.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

jcity
Regular Poster
Posts: 504
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:17 pm

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby jcity » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:59 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:They consume about the same amount of oxygen as humans at similar speed. But "about" and "similar" don't cut the mustard on the Savannah.

I'm talking about average capabilities of the two species. Note that the latter reference says this with respect to VO2max.

It is generally considered the best indicator of cardiorespiratory endurance and aerobic fitness.

Major Malfunction wrote:The difference only needs to be slight. We're already starting the race with the advantage of superior heat dissipation. Now I'm seeing a 4 km/h speed advantage, which means the human can keep a little in reserve. He's cool and aerobic at slightly higher than pig speed, and the pig is getting hot and buying an oxygen debt.

Now you're comparing elite human athletes to average trained domestic pigs. The average human, even with training, cannot run aerobically at 18 km/h. That's a 5:22 mile. Maybe you can argue that the standard deviation of human performance is larger, but I leave it to you to find the evidence.
"When someone says 'there ought to be a law...', there probably oughtn't." Penn Jillette

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 11318
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:09 pm

When the argument becomes cyclical, I stop talking.

I guess that's a win for you.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

jcity
Regular Poster
Posts: 504
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:17 pm

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby jcity » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:36 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:When the argument becomes cyclical, I stop talking.

What, you don't want to spend another five pages repeating yourself? I thought that was standard procedure here. :wink:
"When someone says 'there ought to be a law...', there probably oughtn't." Penn Jillette

User avatar
psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1258
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:23 am

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:06 pm

what a lousy luck planet - really awesome creatures like dinosaurs get wiped out . and overgrown rats well :burn:
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong .

User avatar
kennyc
Has No Life
Posts: 12192
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby kennyc » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:24 pm

Please stop digging up million year old threads. Start a new thread if this topic is something of interest to you. I get the distinct impression that you are just doing it intentionally and you really dont give a {!#%@} about the topic.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29108
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby Gord » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:29 pm

Meh. Old stuff is interesting.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
kennyc
Has No Life
Posts: 12192
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby kennyc » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:51 pm

Gord wrote:Meh. Old stuff is interesting.


Ah, your an archaeologist eh?
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7815
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby nmblum88 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:39 am

kennyc wrote:Please stop digging up million year old threads. Start a new thread if this topic is something of interest to you. I get the distinct impression that you are just doing it intentionally and you really dont give a {!#%@} about the topic.


LOL.. General Kenny to the rescue of his personal fiefdom, formerly known as the Skeptics Forum, and now operating as Posse Haven.

Blow it, KennC.
Or take your complaints to the actual Forum manager, and let him decide how onerous to the process is the behavior you (pretend ?) to find objectionable.

Because it is not exactly your business, although you are certainly entitled to voice even your most ridiculous opinions…
But it is possible that your demand would sound less offensively officious if your tone were muted a bit to resemble a suggestion rather than an order that you have absolutely no authority to give..
Not so respectfully (I tend to agree with your mother that you are simply not very smart),
Norma Manna Blum
P.S. Using the Skeptics Forum (or what's left of it) to hawk you questionable wares, seems much more objectionable than is picking up on old threads.
Why don't you just get a bona fide publisher and it them do what bona fide publishers do, which is to have and use an advertising department.
Oh… I forgot, your miraculous output is too brilliant and original for a bona fide publisher.
The editors at Random House, for example, simply have NO taste, and are interested ONLY in money at the expense of deep though and great art.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7815
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby nmblum88 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:46 am

kennyc wrote:
Gord wrote:Meh. Old stuff is interesting.


Ah, your an archaeologist eh?


I doubt it.
But is it relevant?
Even as an inane jest?
Are you a Forum manager?
Did you perhaps leave "the Gospels According To KennyC., on Forum Behavior" off your classified list of available for sale, titles?
NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26383
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:00 am

nmblum wrote:
kennyc wrote:Please stop digging up million year old threads. Start a new thread if this topic is something of interest to you. I get the distinct impression that you are just doing it intentionally and you really dont give a {!#%@} about the topic.


LOL.. General Kenny to the rescue of his personal fiefdom, formerly known as the Skeptics Forum, and now operating as Posse Haven.


Well done Norma. You are showing both your personality disorders simultaneously.

Firstly, you make your weekly insult against Kenny, telling him he should not make comment on other people's posts, in a comment on Kenny's posts, that he can't read. You are simply too stupid to see the irony.

Secondly, you keep referring to some sort of "Posse" which is a figment of your imagination and the members apparently, join and leave, depending on who you are personally picking on at the moment.

Can you write down the names of members in this so called Posse?

User avatar
fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9890
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:01 am
Location: Woostone

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby fromthehills » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:36 am

{!#%@}'ell. Really, Norma? A woman of the world, with poker nights, pasolé Sundays, fishing, and on and on.... You have time to police the forum for Kenny's posts that say "please....".

Of course I don't care about old threads being exhumed. But some of them aren't relevant, and they take up space when trying to navigate through. Whatever. If a guy asks "please" and suggests "start a new thread" that's no where close to being forum hall monitor. But jesus, I think it's just become your pass time looking for any itch you can scratch with a scathing critique. This is true for everyone, even those of us that like you. I love your candor, when it's actual candor, and not just nasty old curmudgeon BS. Once quite fond of my interactions with you, I find myself not wanting to even log into the forum because of your attacks. They went from witty and cunning, sharp and intelligent to bitter and lashing. As a moribund forum, we sure {!#%@} gain a lot of interest from you in scolding us for anything and everything you can sink your teeth into.

Typical liberal champion of freedom of speech, as long as it agrees with me, or perhaps, as long as the person hasn't told me to {!#%@} off in disagreement. We can all be pricks when our pet idea is being threatened, then we get over it, or realize we are belittling ourselves by digging our heels in. Or we don't, and no one takes us seriously. A persuasive argument for philosophy without a verbose insult, cool. Maybe I missed it, because I try to not read what I'm not interested in. An acknowledgment that critical thinking was born out of philosophy, fantastic.


I don't know. I'm tired of the childish {!#%@}: " Thankers not thinkers" "He called you a drunk last year, so..." (Yeah, and I insulted all his posts, before he said that) ......And on and on... People just trying to share views with other people. A guy showing empathy for another is ridiculed, and that ridicule is celebrated by you, Norma. And you call me the whiner, the one that doesn't enjoy life? Hell, my life is outstanding. I complain about everything that is wrong in life on the grinding gears thread. It's miniscule. I complain because I think it's funny to complain about small {!#%@}.

It is childish to follow people around on the forum and attack what you perceive as their character, instead of making valid arguments with what you disagree with. I kept trying to see your side. You are made fun of, no doubt. But you aren't innocent. You dish it out, and you get it back.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7815
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby nmblum88 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:43 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
nmblum wrote:
kennyc wrote:Please stop digging up million year old threads. Start a new thread if this topic is something of interest to you. I get the distinct impression that you are just doing it intentionally and you really dont give a {!#%@} about the topic.


LOL.. General Kenny to the rescue of his personal fiefdom, formerly known as the Skeptics Forum, and now operating as Posse Haven.


Well done Norma. You are showing both your personality disorders simultaneously.

Firstly, you make your weekly insult against Kenny, telling him he should not make comment on other people's posts, in a comment on Kenny's posts, that he can't read. You are simply too stupid to see the irony.

Secondly, you keep referring to some sort of "Posse" which is a figment of your imagination and the members apparently, join and leave, depending on who you are personally picking on at the moment.

Can you write down the names of members in this so called Posse?


I may certainly have personality disorders

However you are a clerk… more like Bob Cratchit than your father, because being the SON of a psychiatrist (who was crazy enough god knows) doesn't automatically covey the title to you.…
You are a bookkeeper.
You diagnoses apply to debits, credits, and account receivable and deliverable.
As to naming the Posse, i don't HAVE to name you… you know who you are:
A failed at everything including finding a publisher, an abject sycophantic cephalopod mollusk posing as doctoral candidate in nuclear physics, and a bookkeeper who can't bear to be thought of as anything less than an expert on EVERYTHING..
But who know the value of nothing..
… LOL.. Does anyone actually trust you to keep books?

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7815
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby nmblum88 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:46 am

fromthehills wrote:{!#%@}'ell. Really, Norma? A woman of the world, with poker nights, pasolé Sundays, fishing, and on and on.... You have time to police the forum for Kenny's posts that say "please....".

Of course I don't care about old threads being exhumed. But some of them aren't relevant, and they take up space when trying to navigate through. Whatever. If a guy asks "please" and suggests "start a new thread" that's no where close to being forum hall monitor. But jesus, I think it's just become your pass time looking for any itch you can scratch with a scathing critique. This is true for everyone, even those of us that like you. I love your candor, when it's actual candor, and not just nasty old curmudgeon BS. Once quite fond of my interactions with you, I find myself not wanting to even log into the forum because of your attacks. They went from witty and cunning, sharp and intelligent to bitter and lashing. As a moribund forum, we sure {!#%@} gain a lot of interest from you in scolding us for anything and everything you can sink your teeth into.

Typical liberal champion of freedom of speech, as long as it agrees with me, or perhaps, as long as the person hasn't told me to {!#%@} off in disagreement. We can all be pricks when our pet idea is being threatened, then we get over it, or realize we are belittling ourselves by digging our heels in. Or we don't, and no one takes us seriously. A persuasive argument for philosophy without a verbose insult, cool. Maybe I missed it, because I try to not read what I'm not interested in. An acknowledgment that critical thinking was born out of philosophy, fantastic.


I don't know. I'm tired of the childish {!#%@}: " Thankers not thinkers" "He called you a drunk last year, so..." (Yeah, and I insulted all his posts, before he said that) ......And on and on... People just trying to share views with other people. A guy showing empathy for another is ridiculed, and that ridicule is celebrated by you, Norma. And you call me the whiner, the one that doesn't enjoy life? Hell, my life is outstanding. I complain about everything that is wrong in life on the grinding gears thread. It's miniscule. I complain because I think it's funny to complain about small {!#%@}.

It is childish to follow people around on the forum and attack what you perceive as their character, instead of making valid arguments with what you disagree with. I kept trying to see your side. You are made fun of, no doubt. But you aren't innocent. You dish it out, and you get it back.


Wow… thank you thank you thank you…
Who knew that you were paying that much attention?
Doe this mean that I should never (figuratively) darken your doorstep again?LOL…and you will now address me as Mrs, Blum?
The once, Dear Norma….

P.S. Believe it or not, I sincerely hope the four of you and whomever else i may have omitted from the hierarchy are very happy together…

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

User avatar
psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1258
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:23 am

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:02 am

jcity wrote:
landrew wrote:Swine are not adapted for sustained running. ...

If you examine the articles you'll find that even the claim that humans are specifically adapted for sustained running is not yet widely accepted; the debate is ongoing.

Let's turn this around: is it your claim that the average person can run down the average wild boar? Evidence?


really interesting tv show - present day tribe will track and chase an antelope , eventually the animal will over heat and can no longer walk let alone run .
so the advantage they have is no fur and maybe a water bag so they simply outlast the far superior antelope .

pretty sure a boar won't run away
Last edited by psychiatry is a scam on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong .

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26383
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:03 am

nmblum wrote:However you are a clerk…
No Norma, I am a lawyer and and accountant. You already know that. It's sad to see your memory going as you fade into the twilight of your life or Korsakoff Syndrome "kicks in".
:D
nmblum wrote:because being the SON of a psychiatrist (who was crazy enough god knows)
You never met my father Norma, but thanks for your "considered opinion".

nmblum wrote:You diagnoses apply to debits, credits, and account receivable and deliverable.
Yes Norma, I do prepare reports that also consider financial ratios, however as a tax lawyer, I mostly work on points of law and researching matters to prepare for prosecutions.

nmblum wrote:As to naming the Posse, i don't HAVE to name you… you know who you are:
I am obviously a "Posse of one person". "Matthew"
nmblum wrote: A failed at everything including finding a publisher
"Kenny"
nmblum wrote:an abject sycophantic cephalopod mollusk posing as doctoral candidate in nuclear physics
"Octopus".

So ....Are you are claiming "Matthew, Kenny and Octopus" are "The Posse" that is destroying this forum?

:D

The only good norma is a dead norma .jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26383
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:08 am

nmblum wrote: I sincerely hope the four of you and whomever else i may have omitted from the hierarchy are very happy together.
So we can add Fromthehills to our Posse? This is great news. Kenny, Octopus and I need someone with gun.......and quickly.....

Norma needs hunting down.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19641
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:16 am

psychiatry is a scam wrote:
jcity wrote:
landrew wrote:Swine are not adapted for sustained running. ...

If you examine the articles you'll find that even the claim that humans are specifically adapted for sustained running is not yet widely accepted; the debate is ongoing.

Let's turn this around: is it your claim that the average person can run down the average wild boar? Evidence?


really interesting tv show - present day tribe will track and chase an antelope , eventually the animal will over heat and can no longer walk let alone run .
so the advantage they have is no fur and maybe a water bag so they simply outlast the far superior antelope .

pretty sure a boar won't run away

And numbers... I'd think the fear factor also plays a role. Lots of stress, the animal might even have voided and lost valuable fluid, etc.

Are boars always as aggressive as people think they are. I really don't know. :scratch:
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9890
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:01 am
Location: Woostone

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby fromthehills » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:28 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
nmblum wrote: I sincerely hope the four of you and whomever else i may have omitted from the hierarchy are very happy together.
So we can add Fromthehills to our Posse? This is great news. Kenny, Octopus and I need someone with gun.......and quickly.....

.jpg



And Eggs. She's hell on wheels with a coach gun.

User avatar
fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9890
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:01 am
Location: Woostone

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby fromthehills » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:39 am

And Gord. He has pizza.

User avatar
fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9890
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:01 am
Location: Woostone

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby fromthehills » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:40 am

And Poodle. He can translate for Octopus.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26383
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:42 am

fromthehills wrote: And Eggs. She's hell on wheels with a coach gun.

I didn't consider that we needed to travel in a stagecoach, but, now I know, we obviously need a coach gunner!

I'm still trying to work out what to do with Gawdzilla. Do we tie him to the top of the coach or does he follow us on a lead, like a spare horse.
stagecoach.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Matthew Ellard on Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9890
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:01 am
Location: Woostone

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby fromthehills » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:43 am

And Pyrrho. He's got a shed.

Gawdzilla has to run along side with the wolves.

User avatar
fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9890
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:01 am
Location: Woostone

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby fromthehills » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:45 am

I'm getting together parts for the tow behind barbeque pit. Complete with wood storage and beer coolers.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19481
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:21 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
fromthehills wrote: And Eggs. She's hell on wheels with a coach gun.

I didn't consider that we needed to travel in a stagecoach, but, now I know, we obviously need a coach gunner!

I'm still trying to work out what to do with Gawdzilla. Do we tie him to the top of the coach or does he follow us on a lead, like a spare horse.
stagecoach.jpg

How about I step on you and go find a brothel?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
kennyc
Has No Life
Posts: 12192
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby kennyc » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:28 pm

fromthehills wrote:And Pyrrho.......


Then we'll have to have a pony, he always wants a pony.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

User avatar
kennyc
Has No Life
Posts: 12192
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby kennyc » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:29 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:
fromthehills wrote: And Eggs. She's hell on wheels with a coach gun.

I didn't consider that we needed to travel in a stagecoach, but, now I know, we obviously need a coach gunner!

I'm still trying to work out what to do with Gawdzilla. Do we tie him to the top of the coach or does he follow us on a lead, like a spare horse.
stagecoach.jpg

How about I step on you and go find a brothel?


I'm imagining she-zillas in fishnet stockings. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19481
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Humans nearly wiped out 70,000 years ago

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:34 pm

kennyc wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:
fromthehills wrote: And Eggs. She's hell on wheels with a coach gun.

I didn't consider that we needed to travel in a stagecoach, but, now I know, we obviously need a coach gunner!

I'm still trying to work out what to do with Gawdzilla. Do we tie him to the top of the coach or does he follow us on a lead, like a spare horse.
stagecoach.jpg

How about I step on you and go find a brothel?


I'm imagining she-zillas in fishnet stockings. :shock: :shock: :shock:


Ahem...

Spoiler:
Image



Image
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.


Return to “Origins”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest