Crash Course Mythology

Creationism, Intelligent Design, and Evolution.
Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Crash Course Mythology

Postby Gord » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:10 am

A new series of Youtube videos on mythology will be starting soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRCVcuA6yZQ
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Re: Crash Course Mythology

Postby TJrandom » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:40 am

Sooo - are you going to keep us appraised of subsequent releases?

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:15 am

I'll definitely check this out.
My kid got totally hooked on the Crash Course Philosophy series.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:22 am

I read "some" Greek and less Roman mythology as a kiddie. A few stories, a few relationships/characters. but it seems...the supply is about endless? Heroes/gods/myths for just about anything. I actually don't know what the source of all of them all? Shirley....they can't all be from antiquity? some kind of pulp mill put a whole bunch out in the 1800's?.... or are they all "real" myths from long ago?

Inquiring minds......... want to know.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Dear [Salutation][First Name]

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:17 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I read "some" Greek and less Roman mythology as a kiddie. A few stories, a few relationships/characters. but it seems...the supply is about endless? Heroes/gods/myths for just about anything. I actually don't know what the source of all of them all? Shirley....they can't all be from antiquity? some kind of pulp mill put a whole bunch out in the 1800's?.... or are they all "real" myths from long ago?

Inquiring minds......... want to know.

Most of them are found in the early poet Hesiod. His Greek is difficult (for me), and I've been postponing a detailed study of it until I finish reading Thucydides, Herodotus, Plato, and Aristotle. Those guys wrote an awful lot, as you undoubtedly know. Thucydides alone is going to take probably more time than I have left on this side of the grass. But it will be worth it. The man is GOOD!!! But even so eminent a Greek scholar as Victor Davis Hansen admits that he "had some help" translating Thucydides' history of the Peloponnesian War. So I don't feel bad when I'm baffled by the meaning of a paragraph. Only those who have looked into the classic Greek texts can realize how they do go on, sentence after sentence, putting in one participle after another, without ever getting to a verb conjugated in some recognizable tense of the indicative, subjunctive, or optative mood.. It can be maddening, trying to figure out what the antecedents of all those participles are.
"Reserve a part of your wrath ; you have not seen the worst yet. You suppose that this war has been a criminal blunder and an exceptional horror ; you imagine that before long reason will prevail, and all these inferior people that govern the world will be swept aside, and your own party will reform everything and remain always in office. You are mistaken."

George Santayana, "Tipperary" (1918)

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:06 am

TJrandom wrote:Sooo - are you going to keep us appraised of subsequent releases?

Yeah, I figured I'd post links to each new episode in this thread.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:44 am

Episode one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeX6CX5LEj0

It's turtles all the way down.
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:40 am

Episodes #2, the creation of the universe, easy peasy lemon squeezy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eVFgfQ2694
#ANDAMOVIE

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:59 pm

The thing about myths is that we do not know where they come from.

Here in NZ, we have a series of myths from our native people, the Maori. They are supposed to date back to the distant past, carried by word of mouth down the generations. I am skeptical.

For example, one of the most commonly repeated Maori myths is how the demi-god called Maui, using the South Island of NZ as his canoe, and the third island as his anchor stone, hooked the North Island up out of the sea in the form of a giant fish. This is based on the fact that the three islands very roughly look like anchor, canoe and fish.

The problem with the idea that this myth dates back to antiquity is that the old time Maori had no idea whatever what the three islands of NZ actually looked like, due to the fact that they had no maps, and the three islands are simply too big for any Maori to have paddled around in the canoes they had. So my personal belief is that the myth is recent, and was the result of a story teller who saw European maps of the country, about 200 years ago.

Myths generally have a period in which they are passed on by word of mouth, and that process is prone to causing massive changes. Ever played the game of Chinese Whispers?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:23 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:The problem with the idea that this myth dates back to antiquity is that the old time Maori had no idea whatever what the three islands of NZ actually looked like, due to the fact that they had no maps, and the three islands are simply too big for any Maori to have paddled around in the canoes they had. So my personal belief is that the myth is recent, and was the result of a story teller who saw European maps of the country, about 200 years ago.

I would agree with that. The Jewish people adopted and amalgamated Babylonian myths into their religious framework during the Babylonian captivity. . New data caused new or modified myths.

In the Egyptian old kingdom, every city or town had its own individual gods, that were all quite different. As the kingdom was unified the various gods were reduced to four main gods and a handful of minor gods. Again varying characteristics were amalgamated into singular characters and new myths were created.

Hercules ( Heracles) is an interesting character. Most Hellenic towns had a demi-god strongman myth. When the Greek city states formed a single culture many of these individual demi-gods were renamed as Hercules. Yet the local legends concerning Hercules remained. This is why Hercules could be both on the Argo and five other places simultaneously. Again a myth was modified and accepted only over a few generations.
Heracles 5th Century BC.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:24 am

Upton: the complete works of Thucydides, only 659 pages. Reading in the Original Greek: just an excuse not to do it.

https://www.amazon.com/Collected-Works- ... B01B1XC4OY

with much of it taken up by The Wars, seems to me not much myth there? Same with the other boys? I could be easily wrong as I asked because of being uninformed but there is "so much" in todays literture. I can see the Romans as a source for a whole bunch more.

HA!!!---Some committee needs to meet and put them all together in a common text?.............but I hear Dolos in chorus with the Sirens.

....................now to look up what optative means....looks like an option of some sort? but that would be too simple. Words evolve too far from their roots.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:51 am

... or download Thucydides' stuff free from Project Gutenberg. Legally.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:10 pm

We know where some myths come from. For instance, the myth of the Big Bang comes from the science of the Big Bang theory. The myth is how many people resolve their misunderstandings of the limited amount of information they have about the science, or how many people refute the science by deliberately (or accidentally) misinterpreting it.
#ANDAMOVIE

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:20 pm

myths were created to teach truths in a safe way....speaking truth could often get you murdered...Star Wars was based on mythology...the hero, Luke battled himself in the cave to overcome his lower impulses.--plato's allegory of the cave----...it is part of initiation rituals of the mystery religions...you must prove yourself worthy to receive higher teachings...----Star Wars Origins - Joseph Campbell and the Hero's Journey

http://www.moongadget.com/origins/myth.html

In 1949 Joseph Campbell (1904-1987) made a big splash in the field of mythology with his book The Hero With a Thousand Faces. This book built on the ...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:29 pm

Superman was based on mythology too ... flying beings could often pee on your head ... the hero, Clark Kent, suffered at the hands of Mr Mxyzptlk -- an allegory of unpronouncable Russian names -- but he always won in the end ... 'cos he was great ... Marvel Comics.

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:03 pm

I think that, normally, a story is not considered a myth. A myth is supposed to have arisen in the mists of time, back in the distant past. Star Wars is just a fiction. Myths, like the Christian bible, are also fiction, but much older.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:33 pm

there are truths about our existence hidden in them...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:55 am

gorgeous wrote:myths were created to teach truths in a safe way....
No. Roman and Greek fables do that as that was the literary technique at the time. Myths are a mixed bag of stories.

What is "the truth" from Homer's Iliad?

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:04 am

gorgeous wrote:there are truths about our existence hidden in them...

If there are any truths, they are submerged under a morass of total lies.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:06 am

The myths as I know them are simply the first stories about human nature?...and then one step up about the consequences of human behavior?? as in: actions have consequences, notions of fate and revenge and so forth.

To me... the truth they contain is that not much has changed in recorded history regarding human nature. That gives me some comfort.... while always wishing we could be better? A few thinkers, the rest of us the vulgar masses.

AliasJamesCarpenter

Postby AliasJamesCarpenter » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:25 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:Thucydides

Hahh Goode! :) My Daddyo was realy into Thucydides. Told me he will tell me Everrrrything! after he finishes. Well, if afterlife would exist.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Dear [Salutation][First Name]

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:29 pm

AliasJamesCarpenter wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:Thucydides

Hahh Goode! :) My Daddyo was realy into Thucydides. Told me he will tell me Everrrrything! after he finishes. Well, if afterlife would exist.

Well, as I said, I'll probably have to finish Thucydides in the afterlife. Any messages for your father, if I happen to see him there?

Incidentally, it amuses me that in Greek his name is pronounced "Tookee DEE daiss" (goes along with the playwright "UreePEE daiss").
"Reserve a part of your wrath ; you have not seen the worst yet. You suppose that this war has been a criminal blunder and an exceptional horror ; you imagine that before long reason will prevail, and all these inferior people that govern the world will be swept aside, and your own party will reform everything and remain always in office. You are mistaken."

George Santayana, "Tipperary" (1918)

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:01 pm

What myths are is simply stories.
Humanity has always had its story tellers. Even Ugg the caveman would have sat around the campfire listening to stories made up by the resident story teller. Those stories would be passed on down through the generations, though not in the original form. Like Chinese whispers, they would be changed dramatically in the telling.

I write stories as a kind of hobby. People like me have done that since before Homer saps was a different species. There is no need to impose extra meaning on myths. They are just stories.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:39 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:What myths are is simply stories.
Humanity has always had its story tellers. Even Ugg the caveman would have sat around the campfire listening to stories made up by the resident story teller. Those stories would be passed on down through the generations, though not in the original form. Like Chinese whispers, they would be changed dramatically in the telling.

I write stories as a kind of hobby. People like me have done that since before Homer saps was a different species. There is no need to impose extra meaning on myths. They are just stories.

Lance (blah, blah...x2 what I just said on other thread): Myths are stories WITH A POINT. as compared to stories without a point. Which is worse?: Point, Pointless or as with your post: wrong?

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:45 am

You are getting mixed up with parables.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:05 am

Can`t wait for Grim Reaper myths.... :duel:

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:31 am

TJrandom wrote:Can`t wait for Grim Reaper myths.... :duel:

Terry Pratchett has written several wonderful grim reaper stories. Humor mixed with the more morbid bits.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:39 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:
TJrandom wrote:Can`t wait for Grim Reaper myths.... :duel:

Terry Pratchett has written several wonderful grim reaper stories. Humor mixed with the more morbid bits.

Someone needed to switch his bed around....

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:15 am

I'll go one more round:

Haven't myths withstood the test of time because they are parables (teaching lessons) in a setting of Gods and Men?

I recall reading a book in grade school called something like "The Greek Myths" and I kept it for years until it grew legs. I'd love to have that simple book back. For some reason, the same parable with Gods strikes me as more meaningful than the same lesson with talking foxes or pigs.

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:13 pm

Bobbo

You can read whatever you like into myths, and people do. I had a discussion with an artist once about certain forms of modern art, and its interpretation. The artist told me that what the modern art meant was down to the interpretation by the person studying it. In other words, it has no meaning except what you impose.

Parables have a clear cut moral, but myths do not. You can impose a moral on the myth if you wish, but that does not mean it is the point of the myth. Most are simply stories of heroic deeds, much like modern stories. Star Wars is simply an escapist fantasy. Not a parable.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:25 pm

Mythology in Star Wars - Center for Story and Symbol

www.folkstory.com/articles/petersburg.html

Lucas always claimed that his lucrative Star Wars saga blends mythology and technology. Instead of a Scylla, he has Darth Vader. ... Indeed, Lucas' fascination with mythology led to an enduring friendship with the late Joseph Campbell, perhaps the best-known expert in the field.

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:47 pm

Gorgeous

You could say something similar about 90% of all thrillers and science fiction. Duh!

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:23 pm

not really...star wars was based on mythology..

Subaru7

Postby Subaru7 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:33 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote: Only those who have looked into the classic Greek texts can realize how they do go on, sentence after sentence, putting in one participle after another, without ever getting to a verb conjugated in some recognizable tense of the indicative, subjunctive, or optative mood.. It can be maddening, trying to figure out what the antecedents of all those participles are.

That's why they are called "periods", rather than "sentences" ! --- ;)

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:07 am

gorgeous wrote:not really...star wars was based on mythology..

On that basis,,,, almost all modern films and literature were based on mythology.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:12 am

Why do we want to trash Norse mythology?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:20 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Why do we want to trash Norse mythology?

Who does?
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:30 am

Gord wrote:

Who does?

Don't get Thor, please, it was just a joke.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:08 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Gord wrote:

Who does?

Don't get Thor, please, it was just a joke.

What was?
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:14 am

#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “Origins”