Scientific evidence for god discovered

Creationism, Intelligent Design, and Evolution.
User avatar
Monster
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4972
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Tarrytown, NY, USA
Contact:

Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby Monster » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:52 pm

Checkmate Atheists – Scientists Discover God!

http://viral.buzz/video-checkmate-athei ... cover-god/

I listened to the video. I think it's dumb. The speaker said, "The Bible got it right," regarding the fact that the universe has a beginning. And he also equates "the Laws of Nature" and "god". So dumb. I'd like this guy to tell monotheists that they're worshiping the Laws of Nature.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8121
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby Poodle » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:22 pm

It always amazes me that otherwise intelligent people can still make this leap in illogic.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19481
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:49 pm

Any "god" who deliberately made the choices that resulted in this Earth as being perfect for humans would get a D- from me.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Cadmusteeth
Regular Poster
Posts: 928
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby Cadmusteeth » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:41 pm

Poodle wrote:It always amazes me that otherwise intelligent people can still make this leap in illogic.

I believe they're confusing their thoughts as being well-thought-out as opposed to being well imagined.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29108
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby Gord » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:49 am

Monster wrote:Checkmate Atheists – Scientists Discover God!

http://viral.buzz/video-checkmate-athei ... cover-god/

I listened to the video. I think it's dumb. The speaker said, "The Bible got it right," regarding the fact that the universe has a beginning. And he also equates "the Laws of Nature" and "god". So dumb. I'd like this guy to tell monotheists that they're worshiping the Laws of Nature.

Sumerian Legend of Creation: http://history-world.org/sumerian_legen ... eation.htm

The Sumerians got it right first, regarding the fact that the universe has a beginning. Therefore Apsu and Tiamat did it.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Hex
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1082
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:26 pm
Custom Title: mi malam ciuj el vi
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby Hex » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:34 pm

But, were you there!
Spoiler:
  TOYNBEE IDEA
IN KUBRICK'S 2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwoaOJZ7Dfk

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29108
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby Gord » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:34 pm

Of course, I was the one who wrote the Bible.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19481
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:31 pm

Gord wrote:Of course, I was the one who wrote the Bible.

Good, now I know who to file suit against. :evil:
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29108
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby Gord » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:02 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Gord wrote:Of course, I was the one who wrote the Bible.

Good, now I know who to file suit against. :evil:

Hey, it's nothing like the original version! I had all the necessary disclaimers and everything. I even ran it past my Jewish lawyer; he said it was chaval al ha zman.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Kevin Levites1
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:18 pm

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby Kevin Levites1 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:53 pm

After being challenged by a religious friend (I'm agnostic--bordering on atheism), I actually came up with an argument for God's existence.

I accepted the challenge in order to avoid the suggestion that I'm two-faced with regard to my faith in the scientific process.

And then I thought: who else better to challenge the argument then the folks at the Skeptic forum?

Would it be tacky to write a lengthy post for the purpose of allowing everyone to pick it apart?

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19641
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:53 pm

Hi, Kevin Levites1 :wave:


Did you bring beer?
Hi, Io the lurker.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26371
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:57 pm

Kevin Levites1 wrote:After being challenged by a religious friend (I'm agnostic--bordering on atheism), I actually came up with an argument for God's existence.

I accepted the challenge in order to avoid the suggestion that I'm two-faced with regard to my faith in the scientific process.

Would it be tacky to write a lengthy post for the purpose of allowing everyone to pick it apart?


Go for it. Start a new thread. Put a disclaimer at the top saying "I wrote this for a debate and my own views may vary" ( or something like that.). There is nothing wrong with "swapping sides" for the purposes of enjoying a debate.

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4129
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby gorgeous » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:58 pm

Einstein-------“Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with our modest powers must feel humble.”

“God does not play dice with the universe.”

“God is subtle but he is not malicious.”

“When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Kevin Levites1
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:18 pm

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby Kevin Levites1 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:04 am

Thank you.

I will.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29108
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby Gord » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:36 am

Gord wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Gord wrote:Of course, I was the one who wrote the Bible.

Good, now I know who to file suit against. :evil:

Hey, it's nothing like the original version! I had all the necessary disclaimers and everything. I even ran it past my Jewish lawyer; he said it was chaval al ha zman.

:| Oh. Wait. חבל על הזמן [chaval 'al hazman] literally means "a waste of time". I must be remembering it wrong....
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10407
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:42 am

Kevin Levites1 wrote:Thank you.

I will.

Hi Kevin, welcome to the madhouse. Just out of curiosity, were you responding to Matthew (debate) or to Eggs (bring beer)? . . . and while you're at it, Gord is still waiting for his donuts.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29108
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby Gord » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:53 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:. . . and while you're at it, Gord is still waiting for his donuts.

Yeah, I ordered those years ago!

viewtopic.php?p=241365#p241365
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 11316
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby Major Malfunction » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:05 am

gorgeous wrote:Einstein-------“Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with our modest powers must feel humble.”

“God does not play dice with the universe.”

“God is subtle but he is not malicious.”

“When the solution is simple, God is answering.”

It's easy to misquote dead people to justify your own ends, because they can't reply.

Put that in your misquote book and smoke it. Idiot.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19641
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:15 am

Word games, yay!


“God does not play dice with the universe cos there ain't no God.”

“God is supposed but he is not manifest.”

“When the solution is simple, the human mind is answering.”
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10407
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:26 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Word games, yay!


“God does not play dice with the universe cos there ain't no God.”

“God is supposed but he is not manifest.”

“When the solution is simple, the human mind is answering.”

Six years in shipping/receiving way back when, and not once did I see God on a manifest.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts
Posts: 6001
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:09 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby Flash » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:15 am

So definitely no god in shipping/receiving. I looked in Catholic cathedrals. I thought, if god exists he must hang around the "houses of god". Nothing. But I found lots of mean little pedophiles though.
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19481
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:53 pm

Kevin Levites1 wrote:After being challenged by a religious friend (I'm agnostic--bordering on atheism), I actually came up with an argument for God's existence.

I accepted the challenge in order to avoid the suggestion that I'm two-faced with regard to my faith in the scientific process.
I don't have to provide anything. I ask them for proof of any god or gods. I'm not going to try and prove the Sandman doesn't exist.
And then I thought: who else better to challenge the argument then the folks at the Skeptic forum?

Would it be tacky to write a lengthy post for the purpose of allowing everyone to pick it apart?

Start a thread?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4129
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby gorgeous » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:08 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
gorgeous wrote:Einstein-------“Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with our modest powers must feel humble.”

“God does not play dice with the universe.”

“God is subtle but he is not malicious.”

“When the solution is simple, God is answering.”

It's easy to misquote dead people to justify your own ends, because they can't reply.

Put that in your misquote book and smoke it. Idiot.

------------actual quotes....learn manners and decency.....
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4129
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby gorgeous » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:25 pm

"The question of whether there exists a Creator and Ruler of the Universe has been answered in the affirmative by some of the highest intellects that have ever existed.”

–Charles Darwin, the founder of evolutionary biology, as cited in his book Descent of Man.
---------------------“A scientific discovery is also a religious discovery. There is no conflict between science and religion. Our knowledge of God is made larger with every discovery we make about the world.”

–Joseph H. Taylor, Jr., who received the 1993 Nobel Prize in Physics for the discovery of the first known binary pulsar, and for his work which supported the Big Bang theory of the creation of the universe.
---------------------“The more I study science, the more I believe in God.”

–Albert Einstein

(The Wall Street Journal, Dec 24, 1997, article by Jim Holt, “Science Resurrects God.”)
--------------------------“I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know his thoughts; the rest are details.”

–Albert Einstein

(From E. Salaman, “A Talk With Einstein,” The Listener 54 (1955), pp. 370-371, quoted in Jammer, p. 123).
---------------------------“It may seem bizarre, but in my opinion science offers a surer path to God than religion.”

–Physicist Paul Davies, the winner of the 2001 Kelvin Medal issued by the Institute of Physics and the winner of the 2002 Faraday Prize issued by the Royal Society (amongst other awards), as cited in his book God and the New Physics.
-------------------“Astronomers now find they have painted themselves into a corner because they have proven, by their own methods, that the world began abruptly in an act of creation to which you can trace the seeds of every star, every planet, every living thing in this cosmos and on the earth. And they have found that all this happened as a product of forces they cannot hope to discover…. That there are what I or anyone would call supernatural forces at work is now, I think, a scientifically proven fact.”

–Astronomer, physicist and founder of NASA’s Goddard Institute of Space Studies Robert Jastrow. Please see Jastrow’s book God and the Astronomers for further reading.
-----------------------“The fanatical atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who – in their grudge against traditional religion as the ‘opium of the masses’ – cannot hear the music of the spheres.”

–Albert Einstein
--------------------------“Both religion and science require a belief in God. For believers, God is in the beginning, and for physicists He is at the end of all considerations… To the former He is the foundation, to the latter, the crown of the edifice of every generalized world view.”

“There can never be any real opposition between religion and science; for the one is the complement of the other. Every serious and reflective person realizes, I think, that the religious element in his nature must be recognized and cultivated if all the powers of the human soul are to act together in perfect balance and harmony. And indeed it was not by accident that the greatest thinkers of all ages were deeply religious souls.”

–Max Planck, the Nobel Prize winning physicist considered to be the founder of quantum theory, and one of the most important physicists of the 20th century, indeed of all time.

Religion and Natural Science (Lecture Given 1937) Scientific Autobiography and Other Papers, trans. F. Gaynor (New York, 1949), pp. 184
------------------------“God is a mathematician of a very high order and He used advanced mathematics in constructing the universe.”

–Nobel Prize winning physicist Paul A. M. Dirac, who made crucial early contributions to both quantum mechanics and quantum electrodynamics.
----------------------“Another source of conviction in the existence of God, connected with the reason and not with the feelings, impresses me as having much more weight. This follows from the extreme difficulty or rather impossibility of conceiving this immense and wonderful universe, including man with his capacity of looking far backwards and far into futurity, as the result of blind chance or necessity. When thus reflecting I feel compelled to look to a First Cause having an intelligent mind in some degree analogous to that of man; and I deserve to be called a Theist.”

–Charles Darwin, the founder of evolutionary biology, as quoted in his autobiography.
-------------------To the question, “Many prominent scientists – including Darwin, Einstein, and Planck – have considered the concept of God very seriously. What are your thoughts on the concept of God and on the existence of God?”

Christian Anfinsen replied: “I think only an idiot can be an atheist. We must admit that there exists an incomprehensible power or force with limitless foresight and knowledge that started the whole universe going in the first place.”


–Christian Anfinsen, winner of the 1972 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for his work on ribonuclease.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Cadmusteeth
Regular Poster
Posts: 928
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby Cadmusteeth » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:56 pm

Even if they did say things partaining to a god, so what? Unless they found a testable way to detect a god those quote don't mean a thing whether they said them or not.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26371
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:31 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:It's easy to misquote dead people to justify your own ends, because they can't reply.
gorgeous wrote: ------------actual quotes....learn manners and decency.....
No they are not.

I have shown you that you have posted fake quotes and edited quotes taken out of context, by Einstein. Albert Einstein has directly said he does not believe in God.

You kept posting the same quotes knowing they were fake. You should learn some manners and decency ( but that would require a brain.....bad luck......)

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19641
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:08 am

“God is spaghetti but he is not marinara.”
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29108
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby Gord » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:57 pm

:fsm: Hi Al, wanna shoot some craps with Neptune and Vega?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19641
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:29 pm

Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4129
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby gorgeous » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:44 am

: listverse-----Top 10 Reasons Science Is Another Religion--------"As a Biologist with a PhD in Neurosciences, I’m well aware that this is a controversial subject for both scientists and religious people alike. Scientists consider it ridiculous even to entertain the notion that science, a human achievement built on logic and reason, could possibly have anything in common with religious myths. The faithful, on the other hand, are reluctant to warm up to the idea that Science, a human creation, could be compared to divine religion."------------Top 10 Reasons Science Is Another Religion---------10---Science Thinks Humans are Special--------It is understandable that religion might place man in the center of the universe – but for science to do so is inexcusable. However, a great number of astrophysicists and cosmologists are eager to talk about how the universe conforms to the “anthropic principle”.

There is absolutely no scientific reason why human understanding – above that of slugs, dolphins and monkeys – should be wide enough to encompass the universe. Anthropocentrism – the assumption that humans take center-stage in the universe – is rife in the sciences, as it is in religion.
-------------------9---It Casts Out Heretics and Persecutes all Other Religions------Science, like God in the Old Testament, behaves jealously against any other religion. So science will say to its followers: “You shall have no other gods before me”.

If you have any doubts, try asking an audience at a scientific convention to join you in a prayer. From that moment on you’ll be called a theist-scientist. A heretic. A miasma. An abomination. Just look up how Kurt Gödel was viewed at Princeton after circulating his ontological proof of God.
--------8--Science Reveres Its Own Saints------The ranks of science martyrdom may be thin, yet its members are revered as far greater scientists they actually were. Take Galileo Galilei, for example, the patron saint of all scientists persecuted by religious orders. He actually contributed very little to science: most of his achievements were technical, such as tampering with telescopes. Heliocentricity was known since the 4th century BC.-------------7--Science Makes up Stories to Explain Our Origins------ Now, of course, we have science to explain our origins.

You know what its latest version of this story is? In the beginning, there were giant membranes. These membranes touched each other, triggering something called the “Big Bang”. Sure.
-----------------6--Science Has Its Own Code of Ethics-------There are state laws, and there are moral laws. And now, according to science, there are “laws of scientific conduct”. All kinds of atrocities are committed in the name of science – take a doctor, for example, who has to give placebo pills to a number of his patients in a drug trial, knowing that they will suffer or die much sooner than if they had received proper treatment.

But scientific advancement almost always claims precedence over personal morality. And – unless you’re a zealot yourself – its ethics will clash with your personal code of conduct.
---------------------5---Science Has Its Own Priesthood------Newton, Darwin and Einstein serve as the holy trinity of western science. And below these are the elders: Watson, Crick, Dawkins, Hawking, Dennet, Chomsky, Penrose and Sagan. And then you have the High Priests: the Nobel Prize winners, the popular writers and the media celebrities.

Their opinions are received as sermons, and their statements are quoted like sacred texts. Ordinary people are ridiculed, if they doubt the interpretations of this priesthood. Even for scientists, questioning a member of a higher tier is done only at your own risk. After all, all scientific work (from papers to grant applications) is peer reviewed, remember?
-----------------------4----Science is Based on Established Dogmas-----Ever wonder how for centuries, the best doctors could insist on blood-letting as a cure – without ever noticing that their patients did worse? The answer: belief in blood-letting was part of the scientific dogma at the time.

Anything contradicting this dogma is simply rejected and ignored, or ridiculed for as long as possible. Science thus has the trappings of a full blown religion.
----------------------3--Science Will Bend to Accommodate Modern Trends------If you think scientists are immune to the pressure to conform to public opinion – think again. I am not even going to consider the announcements made by scientists under totalitarian regimes (such as racist “conclusions”), because I consider these to be forced aberrations.

Instead I will use the scientific approach to homosexuality. It was included in the list of personality disorders of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorder (DSM) up to its 1973 edition. It was then removed – only to be replaced a year later by a close variant, before being removed entirely in 1986. Upon what evidence rested the changing decisions to include or exclude homosexuality among mental disorders? Public sentiment, backed by convenient “empirical evidence”, played a leading role.
----------------------------2---Most of Science is Unfounded-------Dark Matter, Dark Energy, Quantum Strings and Ego – all of them sound like plausible stories. But can anyone point out the Ego locus in a dissected brain? Or use the concept of Dark Energy for anything besides helping to explain the expanding universe – another scientific theory? There is no actual proof for any of these theories.

That’s right – we have no proof for the existence of 96% of what science thinks the universe is made of – and yet the theories explaining it (we call them theories to avoid calling them stories) we hold to be true. Why? you ask. Because we have faith – which brings me to my final point.
----------------------1----Science Requires Faith------Even highly-specialized scientists will often pursue a certain line of thought, and explore the implications of certain theory while rejecting others, based on nothing more than intuitive preferences, and their sense of what is elegant and right.

Most people who reject the religion they once accepted will claim to have done so in favor of the reasonable, clear-cut answers provided by logic and science. When asked to explain the existence of the universe, they’ll mention the Big Bang and M Theories; when asked to explain the existence of humans, they’ll mention evolution.

When pressed to explain any of the above, however, they soon realize that they actually understand very little. They were exhibiting blind faith – accepting the theories without comprehending them. If you don’t understand something, yet accept it as the truth, then you’re simply a Believer – and like much of science, you’ll find yourself well within the territory of religion.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19641
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:23 am

How many threads and subforums are you planning to post that^ in? viewtopic.php?p=457945#p457945
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4129
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby gorgeous » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:13 am

it's true, isn't it...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19641
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:16 am

gorgeous wrote:it's true, isn't it...


All those things that are said about you? If you say so... :pardon:
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29108
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby Gord » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:52 am

Science is a religion is you redefine the terms "science" and "religion".

In the same manner, cats are fruit, car seats eat rocks, and gorgeous is correct.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4129
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby gorgeous » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:10 am

no...it's true.... :D
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Cadmusteeth
Regular Poster
Posts: 928
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby Cadmusteeth » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:53 am

Methinks gorgeous views our rebuttals and dismissals of her posts to be further evidence that her spiel is true and we're just not ready to accept it.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29108
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby Gord » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:18 am

Cadmusteeth wrote:Methinks gorgeous views our rebuttals and dismissals of her posts to be further evidence that her spiel is true and we're just not ready to accept it.

That's because cats are fruit.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26371
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:38 am

Cadmusteeth wrote:Methinks gorgeous views our rebuttals and dismissals of her posts to be further evidence that her spiel is true and we're just not ready to accept it.


I sort of agree. She simply returns to her old posts on JREF and copies and pastes them here. I doubt she reads them again, as her posts never match the actual conversation going on. Her JREF posts were already copy & paste jobs, like she copies here.

I don't think she has any coherent view of reality in her head at all. Her aim is for us to simply pay her attention and for us to "know" she was some sort of radical 70's hippy in her early adulthood. That's why she is putting on "a show".

If you look at her "best topics" it is really old legacy stuff like auras and OBEs from the 60s & 70s. I can't date her vocabulary, because her posts are copy & pastes of other people's words. I imagine her normal speech would be peppered with 60s and 70's Californian hippy expressions.

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4129
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby gorgeous » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:02 pm

obe's...and others didn't stop in the 60's...still happen today...I never talked about auras....all of you copy and paste....admit it....it's not a crime.....it is true....science is a religion...a scientist wrote that article....at least he's honest....
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4817
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: Scientific evidence for god discovered

Postby Austin Harper » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:22 am

Gord wrote:
Cadmusteeth wrote:Methinks gorgeous views our rebuttals and dismissals of her posts to be further evidence that her spiel is true and we're just not ready to accept it.

That's because cats are fruit.

Do you know where I could get a cat tree?
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.


Return to “Origins”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest