Skull Fossil Suggests Simpler Human Lineage

Creationism, Intelligent Design, and Evolution.
Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Skull Fossil Suggests Simpler Human Lineage

Post by Austin Harper » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:30 pm

The New York Times wrote:Skull Fossil Suggests Simpler Human Lineage
After eight years spent studying a 1.8-million-year-old skull uncovered in the Republic of Georgia, scientists have made a discovery that may rewrite the evolutionary history of our human genus Homo.

It would be a simpler story with fewer ancestral species. Early, diverse fossils — those currently recognized as coming from distinct species like Homo habilis, Homo erectus and others — may actually represent variation among members of a single, evolving lineage.

In other words, just as people look different from one another today, so did early hominids look different from one another, and the dissimilarity of the bones they left behind may have fooled scientists into thinking they came from different species.

Edited to fix title
Last edited by Austin Harper on Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: kull Fossil Suggests Simpler Human Lineage

Post by OlegTheBatty » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:03 am

Austin Harper wrote:
The New York Times wrote:Skull Fossil Suggests Simpler Human Lineage
After eight years spent studying a 1.8-million-year-old skull uncovered in the Republic of Georgia, scientists have made a discovery that may rewrite the evolutionary history of our human genus Homo.

It would be a simpler story with fewer ancestral species. Early, diverse fossils — those currently recognized as coming from distinct species like Homo habilis, Homo erectus and others — may actually represent variation among members of a single, evolving lineage.

In other words, just as people look different from one another today, so did early hominids look different from one another, and the dissimilarity of the bones they left behind may have fooled scientists into thinking they came from different species.

Or not . . . it's more of an open question now. It seems to me that the biggest significance of the find is that hominids migrated out of Africa a lot earlier than previously thought.

Hmmm, now that could mean more instances of isolated populations, and more opportunities for divergent evolution. Back to square one.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

kindheart
Custom Title: the positive positivist

Post by kindheart » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:53 am

I'm not a biologist, so take this with a grain of salt, but I'm skeptical that the discovery of this skull necessarily means the current model of human evolution is flawed. It may just mean that the species we find (Homo habilis, etc.) may be evolutionary "cousins" that descend from different, but related, species along the human-related evolutionary line, while modern humans descent from an entirely separate (but related) lineage.

Regardless, I just really hope the creationists don't use this discovery as "evidence" for their asinine worldview.
“If you are searching for sacred knowledge and not just a palliative for your fears, then you will train yourself to be a good skeptic.”
― Ann Druyan

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Post by kennyc » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:32 am

I'm very skeptical of this, I think there is a whole lot we don't know about human evolution, splits, lineages etc.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Post by kennyc » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:33 am

kindheart wrote:
Regardless, I just really hope the creationists don't use this discovery as "evidence" for their asinine worldview.

Oh They will, They will..... :roll:

and welcome to skepticforum!
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama