Prometheus

Creationism, Intelligent Design, and Evolution.
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Prometheus

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:43 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
Stormcrow wrote:I still don't get why the alien at the beginning had to kill himself to seed the planet. Surely squeezing out an eyedropper into the water would have been just as effective, and less Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

We don't have a clue of the Engineers' motivations, but a SWAG might be "a noble sacrifice" or "in lieu of life in prison", or "a holy cause". Etc.

"Swag" seems about right. Seems to me Ridley's tried to cram so much mythological allegory in there the seams burst.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:53 am

If you wanna see a really trippy movie that explores the life/death/creation thing, and stars Hugh Jackman, you should check out The Fountain. And drop some acid.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:07 am

Major Malfunction wrote:If you wanna see a really trippy movie that explores the life/death/creation thing, and stars Hugh Jackman, you should check out The Fountain. And drop some acid.

Meh, too Zen for me to follow. I can't force my mind down those paths.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Kilgore Trout
Poster

Postby Kilgore Trout » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:56 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:If you wanna see a really trippy movie that explores the life/death/creation thing, and stars Hugh Jackman, you should check out The Fountain. And drop some acid.

I liked The Fountain too, although it got a little heavy handed for me toward the end.
The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest.

Troy Spiral MI

Postby Troy Spiral MI » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:53 am

Monster wrote:Information for non-morons: Ridley Scott is agnostic about whether aliens seeded Earth with life. In other words, he thinks it's possible.

I thought that means "it is impossible to know" thus, he has no opinion one way or the other, and by default would also mean hes an "athiest" on the subject since strict agnostic really breaks down into atheism doesn't it? "the lack of belief in X" is included in "Its not possible to know".

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:39 pm

Troy Spiral MI wrote:
Monster wrote:Information for non-morons: Ridley Scott is agnostic about whether aliens seeded Earth with life. In other words, he thinks it's possible.

I thought that means "it is impossible to know" thus, he has no opinion one way or the other, and by default would also mean hes an "athiest" on the subject since strict agnostic really breaks down into atheism doesn't it? "the lack of belief in X" is included in "Its not possible to know".

I agree with you. You can both be correct, and may even be saying the same thing. The terms "atheist" and "agnostic" are often used confusingly.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:44 pm

Troy Spiral MI wrote:

The meaning of agnostic is irrelevant to what I said. I probably shouldn't have used that word. He's just very open to panspermia.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Pamam55
Regular Poster

Postby Pamam55 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:08 pm

Lots of people in the Hollywood industry are "in the know"....you guys clearly aren't "in the know"

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:20 pm

Pamam55 wrote:Lots of people in the Hollywood industry are "in the know"....you guys clearly aren't "in the know"

And what you don't know is everything.

bigtim
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Skeptical Berserker

Postby bigtim » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:57 pm

Pamam55 wrote:Lots of people in the Hollywood industry are "in the know"....you guys clearly aren't "in the know"

no they're not, you're wrong
~
BigTim
"I'm not entirely convinced that ValHalla isn't real."

Pamam55
Regular Poster

Postby Pamam55 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:08 am

bigtim wrote:

no they're not, you're wrong

Actually, yes they are. Deep into the occult.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:00 pm

bigtim wrote:

no they're not, you're clinically insane

FTFY

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:04 pm

I'm not!

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:44 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:I'm not!

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:59 pm

I'm just a very naughty boy.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:35 am

Watched the Blue Ray a few dayz ago. A little Q I had wuz about the thing in the space suit that showed up outside the ship. It wuz Fifield, the ill tempered geologist. Wuznt sure befor that wuznt Holloway.

Sum good extraz. The best iz Peter Weyland addressing a TED conference in 2023.

angawawa
Regular Poster
Custom Title: A little strange

Postby angawawa » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:55 pm

This is a re-post from the Good/Bad new movies thread.

Since the first time I heard about "Prometheus", which was maybe a year and a half ago, I have been waiting anxiously to see it. "Alien" was without a doubt one of the top ten scifi movies of all time, and I've seen plenty of other Ridley Scott stuff, particularly "Blade Runner" which is MY all time favorite movie, so I was very excited. On Saturday I got it on my Kindle, picked up some snacks and Mt. Dew, curled up in my bed with my awesome earbuds and the Kindle propped up on a pillow, and settled in to watch.
SPOILER ALERT

And it was terrible. Charlize Theron was awful, the guy who played the captain did some of the worst acting I have ever seen anywhere, much less in a movie this big, the story was jerky and confusing, even knowing the background plot, and it had all these parallels to "Alien" that were just stupid. I was so disappointed I almost cried. There are few enough scifi movies being made, and with the atrocities which are known as "SyFy Original Movies", gag-making piles of crap, we who love the genre are hard-put to find good fare. So these guys had like a bazillion dollars, could have had their pick of many excellent actors, had plenty of time (2 hours and 5 minutes or thereabouts) and it's still a piece of {!#%@}. And there's nothing any of us can do about, so I'm just barking in the wind. And what I really want to know, if anyone was able to glean a clue, is why those aliens wanted to destroy all the humans, when they were the ones who made them to begin with.

On a lighter note, I am a huge fan of several new TV shows, which may sound silly, but if you give them a chance I don't think you will be disappointed. "Once Upon a Time" and "Grimm" are fairy-tale based stories, "Haven" is a lighter version of "The X-Files" centered in a weird town in Maine and based on Steven King's story "The Colorado Kid". And then there's "Fringe", which is in it's fifth season and, frankly, kind of reaching for new plots. Of course, we have "The Walking Dead", totally Awesome, and it started last night, I think. Then there are the so-so scifi shows, Like "Warehouse 13", "Sanctuary" and "Eureka". "Falling Skies" is not that great, even though I LOVED Noah Wyle in the Librarian movies. I haven't seen "Alphas" yet. But two really good shows were cancelled in their first season, "Flash Forward" and "The Event".

So there's my two cents. Or maybe more like fifteen...
If you keep your mind sufficiently open, people will throw all manner of garbage into it.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:55 pm

If you liked Flash Forward, I recommend the book by Robert J. Sawyer it was based on. The pacing in the book was much better because it focused more on finding out what happened. The main characters are all scientists, not FBI agents and there is no nefarious "Them" who caused it.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:23 pm

angawawa wrote:the story was jerky and confusing, even knowing the background plot, and it had all these parallels to "Alien" that were just stupid. I was so disappointed I almost cried.

You fell into the expectationz trap. Its wun uv the reazonz I strictly avoid seeing anything about moviez I alredy know Im going to watch. No commercialz, no previewz, no reviewz. ESPECIALLY FOR SEQUELZ!

I didnt like Empire Strikes Back the 1st time I saw it mainly due to watching previewz that made it look much more exciting and cauzing me to speculate about all sorts uv stuff. The muzik in particular seemed like a droning dirge.

But I went back and liked it progressively more each time I saw it.

On a lighter note, I am a huge fan of several new TV shows, which may sound silly, but if you give them a chance I don't think you will be disappointed...... But two really good shows were cancelled in their first season, "Flash Forward" and "The Event".

I've pretty much given up on trying new showz. Too much risk uv really likeing them and then sum pinhed executive will cancel it. Firefly being the best example, even tho I never saw it during the broadcast run.

angawawa
Regular Poster
Custom Title: A little strange

Postby angawawa » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:09 pm

JO 753 wrote:
angawawa wrote:the story was jerky and confusing, even knowing the background plot, and it had all these parallels to "Alien" that were just stupid. I was so disappointed I almost cried.

You fell into the expectationz trap. Its wun uv the reazonz I strictly avoid seeing anything about moviez I alredy know Im going to watch. No commercialz, no previewz, no reviewz. ESPECIALLY FOR SEQUELZ!

I didnt like Empire Strikes Back the 1st time I saw it mainly due to watching previewz that made it look much more exciting and cauzing me to speculate about all sorts uv stuff. The muzik in particular seemed like a droning dirge.

But I went back and liked it progressively more each time I saw it.

On a lighter note, I am a huge fan of several new TV shows, which may sound silly, but if you give them a chance I don't think you will be disappointed...... But two really good shows were cancelled in their first season, "Flash Forward" and "The Event".

I've pretty much given up on trying new showz. Too much risk uv really likeing them and then sum pinhed executive will cancel it. Firefly being the best example, even tho I never saw it during the broadcast run.

I know! But I let myself get sucked in. On bad days I can be found crying over Firefly. Or getting very angry and tossing pillows.

I am enjoying your site, by the way. However, handsome as you are, that picture on the front page kinda scares me. The eyes follow me wherever I go... 8-)
If you keep your mind sufficiently open, people will throw all manner of garbage into it.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:20 am

Major Malfunction wrote:As they're landing they mention atmospheric composition. About the same as Earth, but 3% carbon dioxide. Which according to the movie would kill you in a couple of minutes. Actually, you could potentially live in that atmosphere.

I had the same complaint, thinking theyd mistakenly sed dioxide wen it shoud hav been monoxide. I thot that carbon dioxide wuz sumthing like 10% uv the air we breath.

I wuz mistaken. Wiki carbon dioxide

So now I like the movie even more!
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:54 pm

No director's cut released yet?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:45 pm

Prometheus is one of a handful of flicks that I can watch at any point as often as I surf upon it. Same for the whole Alien series and I am most anxious to see the PREQUEL to Prometheus as Theron goes to the Creators home planet. Hope its done half as well as the rest of the series. Great stuff. Much better than Star Trek or that other one.

Do I think life on earth was seeded from the outside by random asteroids or by Alien Species? = No. Its the same religious complaint I have: so.... where did THAT life come from?? No need to complicate it. Earth is "special" if not unique in being in the Goldilocks zone along with 15 other different special attributes like have an iron core, lots of water and so forth. Magic enough for me.

Ha, ha. The final thoughts in the Anthropocene. We coulda been great.

Late Edit: I guess the Home Planet really would be another sequel to Prometheus, just a Prequel to the Alien series. Space/Time.... still working on my coordinates.
Last edited by bobbo_the_Pragmatist on Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster

Postby Austin Harper » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:17 pm

No, but there are several fanedits available that use some of the deleted footage.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:36 pm

Austin Harper wrote:No, but there are several fanedits available that use some of the deleted footage.

Where is the deleted footage, please?

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:47 pm

I think I herd sumthing about Prometheus being pretty much az Ridley wanted it, thus no directorz cut.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:23 pm

JO 753 wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:As they're landing they mention atmospheric composition. About the same as Earth, but 3% carbon dioxide. Which according to the movie would kill you in a couple of minutes. Actually, you could potentially live in that atmosphere.

I had the same complaint, thinking theyd mistakenly sed dioxide wen it shoud hav been monoxide. I thot that carbon dioxide wuz sumthing like 10% uv the air we breath.

I wuz mistaken. Wiki carbon dioxide

So now I like the movie even more!

3% carbon dioxide is supposed to be tolerable for up to 1 month, according to wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercapnia#Tolerance

But at that level, it can cause drowsiness, mild narcosis, reduced hearing, and increased heart rate and blood pressure.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Harte
Poster

Postby Harte » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:30 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Prometheus is one of a handful of flicks that I can watch at any point as often as I surf upon it. Same for the whole Alien series and I am most anxious to see the PREQUEL to Prometheus as Theron goes to the Creators home planet.

Wouldn't that be a sequel?

And let's face it. The movie sucked donkey dicks. It wash a slapdash mishmash of folderol loaded with plot holes and non sequiters hung together by a frail thread.

Lots of potential, but utterly unrealized.

Harte
The skeptic, being a lover of his kind, desires to cure by speech, as best he can, the self-conceit and rashness of the dogmatists.
Sextus Empiricus, Outlines of PyrrhonismHello!

Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so.
Bertrand Russell

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:59 am

Gord wrote:3% carbon dioxide is supposed to be tolerable for up to 1 month, according to wikipedia:

OK, I will lower my liking level back down.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:00 am

Went in not expecting a plot or coherence. Enjoyed the eye-candy. Mission accomplished.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:12 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Went in not expecting a plot or coherence. Enjoyed the eye-candy. Mission accomplished.

Me too. But I mostly enjoyed hanging the crap and taking the piss. That's a quality crap movie that you can remember for years and years how crap it was, and especially discuss the minutiae of the crap at length. That's an especially standout crap movie right there. It deserves a place on Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:02 am

Major Malfunction wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Went in not expecting a plot or coherence. Enjoyed the eye-candy. Mission accomplished.

Me too. But I mostly enjoyed hanging the crap and taking the piss. That's a quality crap movie that you can remember for years and years how crap it was, and especially discuss the minutiae of the crap at length. That's an especially standout crap movie right there. It deserves a place on Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Oh, we watched "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" on Christmas. :lol:

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:09 am

I was always partial to the documentary:

"Mom and Dad Save the World" ...
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:31 am

ElectricMonk wrote:I was always partial to the documentary:

"Mom and Dad Save the World" ...

Not stupid enough for me. "The Planet of Prehistoric Monsters" was better. Soviet movie dubbed into English and Basil Rathbone thrown in to confuse things.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:48 pm

Harte wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Prometheus is one of a handful of flicks that I can watch at any point as often as I surf upon it. Same for the whole Alien series and I am most anxious to see the PREQUEL to Prometheus as Theron goes to the Creators home planet.

Wouldn't that be a sequel?

And let's face it. The movie sucked donkey dicks. It wash a slapdash mishmash of folderol loaded with plot holes and non sequiters hung together by a frail thread.

Lots of potential, but utterly unrealized.

Harte

Glad I made my late edit, hours before your post. Maybe you paid as much attention to the film as you have this thread?

For my education: what plot holes and non sequiturs ruined this film for you? I don't watch films for such issues but do get grumpy when they are noticed. None come to mind for Prometheus.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:53 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:For my education: what plot holes and non sequiturs ruined this film for you? I don't watch films for such issues but do get grumpy when they are noticed. None come to mind for Prometheus.

FFS, read the thread.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:27 pm

My objection is the crude way Charlize was used to show that a centrist position is untenable.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:30 pm

MM- totally correct. I came late and forgot to look. I apologize.

1. And how many three-storey buildings can you jump off, how many cross-country kilometres can you run, and how many giant, angry alien beasts can you defeat immediately after a caesarean and a couple shots of morphine? /// The whole cesarean was accomplished by advanced technology not subject to todays evaluation. Maybe it made her stronger than before just as a side benefit? A total quibble when the whole frame is science fiction IN THE FUTURE.

These are plot holes no number of movies could possibly answer, because they're entirely stupid. And that's just a sample. /// Your example above is not a plot hole but an issue of credibility. Different issues. Lets continue the review:

2. They remembered to wear their helmets where appropriate. Which is about the limit of the 'hard' sci-fi exhibited in this movie. //// Yea, thats a most common CONVENTION for almost all space movies. Can't pay actors millions of dollars and then not see their faces. Same with breathable air and gravity and so forth. Its like heros not getting shot by bad buy bullets and hardly ever missing with their own...unless the plot demands. YES...all these conventions when excessive can ruin a film. I am "tolerant" of the ones mentioned so far.

3. Did any one catch that she should be dead due to lack of oxygen? She got in the ship with 30 sec remaining and then went back outside to find headless droid. Did I miss something? /// Now there is a plot hole. Evidently answered with canisters.

4. I'm complaining about the state of modern films in general. They've seriously, and quite literally, lost the plot. /// I agree. Emphasis now on explosions, gun or sword fights, .... and yet some nice special effects seen and appreciated totally separate from the rest of the film.

5. Anyway, that alien dude apparently drank some nano-tech potion that broke-down his DNA and reformed it, thereby seeding the Earth with life. Why, with that kind of technology, he had to sacrifice himself instead of just dropping a seed pod from orbit, I suppose will never be explained. It's more dramatic? /// Yes...actually no reason for any Alien to leave their home planet. Much cheaper and effective to simply send DNA to distant planets by capsules alone. The personal sacrifice of dying to start life on a planet?...... kinda a religious reference if you stop to think about it. Every element/scene in a movie "could be different." But you go to war with the army you have.

............ well, thats enough.

Find your pleasure and pain where you will.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster

Postby Austin Harper » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:51 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Austin Harper wrote:No, but there are several fanedits available that use some of the deleted footage.

Where is the deleted footage, please?

They're on the DVD/Blu-ray.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:31 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Not stupid enough for me. "The Planet of Prehistoric Monsters" was better. Soviet movie dubbed into English and Basil Rathbone thrown in to confuse things.
The original Russian 1962 film is actually done as "straight science" and was a copy of "Destination Moon" an earlier USA film, done as "straight science".
220px-PlanetaBurDVDRelease.jpg

I liked the fact we could all talk about The Martian" because it was also sort of "straight science".

When I was young, I would watch lots of B-Grade science fiction film on television. There were many scenes that stuck in my head, although I have no knowledge, today, of what those films actually were called. Sadly, as independent studios, who made early science fictions movies, went bankrupt, the prints of these movies have probably been lost.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Origins”