The distinction between consciousness and awareness, aka meta-consciousness

What you think about how you think.
Dimebag
Regular Poster

The distinction between consciousness and awareness, aka meta-consciousness

Postby Dimebag » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:47 am

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/consciousness-goes-deeper-than-you-think/

I found an interesting article published recently in scientific American, going into the difference between consciousness (experience) and awareness (knowing we are conscious of something). The article implies that most studies into consciousness are actually probing awareness rather than conscious experience, which i generally agree with.

The article goes on to mention a way of modelling the interaction between conscious experience and awareness which seems to be supported by a study mentioned, which involves a conscious experience occurring, followed by the awareness of that experience, which the directs attention back to the initial conscious experience. This process sets up a kind of reverberation between the two systems, which has been observed (not sure by what means).

The article then uses this as grounds for thinking of consciousness as being fundamental, this is where the article became a bit less scientific, I think the authors own personal beliefs became apparent, but before that it seemed entirely reasonable.

Any thoughts?

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: The distinction between consciousness and awareness, aka meta-consciousness

Postby Gord » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:31 pm

Consider your breathing right now: the sensation of air flowing through your nostrils, the movements of your diaphragm, etcetera.

Great, now it feels weird to breath. :glare:

Thanks, Trump.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:42 am

Gord wrote:
Consider your breathing right now: the sensation of air flowing through your nostrils, the movements of your diaphragm, etcetera.

Great, now it feels weird to breath. :glare:

Thanks, Trump.

Yes - but it still feels. Not breathing for a long time - say 20 minutes or more, wouldn`t produce a feeling at all. ;)

mirror93
Poster

Postby mirror93 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:58 am

Dimebag wrote:https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/consciousness-goes-deeper-than-you-think/

I found an interesting article published recently in scientific American, going into the difference between consciousness ?experience? and awareness (knowing we are conscious of something). The article implies that most studies into consciousness are actually probing awareness rather than conscious experience, which i generally agree with.

The article goes on to mention a way of modelling the interaction between conscious experience and awareness which seems to be supported by a study mentioned, which involves a conscious experience occurring, followed by the awareness of that experience, which the directs attention back to the initial conscious experience. This process sets up a kind of reverberation between the two systems, which has been observed (not sure by what means).

The article then uses this as grounds for thinking of consciousness as being fundamental, this is where the article became a bit less scientific, I think the authors own personal beliefs became apparent, but before that it seemed entirely reasonable.

Any thoughts?

I found profound difference between my consciousness and the concept experience.

Confidencia
Poster

Postby Confidencia » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:55 pm

Dimebag wrote:https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/consciousness-goes-deeper-than-you-think/

I found an interesting article published recently in scientific American, going into the difference between consciousness (experience) and awareness (knowing we are conscious of something). The article implies that most studies into consciousness are actually probing awareness rather than conscious experience, which i generally agree with.

You cannot probe awareness, you are either conscious or you are aware. There is a difference in kind between awareness reflected in consciousness (as in reverberation) and awareness beyond consciousness. Obviously the later is based on the sense of being aware whilst awareness reflected in consciousness is rooted in memory. In other words you cannot say "I am aware" because there is no "I am" in awareness. I am aware is a thought process, you are merely thinking about being aware. Awareness is the cognisance of consciousness not the other way round.

Return to “Brain, Mind, & Consciousness”