Our brains are gendered...

What you think about how you think.
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Our brains are gendered...

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:38 pm

Many homosexual men and women make babies because of the normative pressure to appear heterosexual. So, they try having a relationship with the opposite sex.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:32 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:Many homosexual men and women make babies because of the normative pressure to appear heterosexual. So, they try having a relationship with the opposite sex.

I agree....but how many? Its still of interest to me the why/how that being gay is not bred out of the species. If its higher fecundity, that makes sense...an accident of dna/gene placement. Just don't know "how true" that could be.

Its really no different than my heterosexual total disinterest in having kiddies. That too should be bred out of the species. All things being equal....shouldn't all species be breeding with the result over time of loving caring parents?

Ha, ha.......so, given our hooman track record........just not enough time yet? Or does having no interest in having kiddies also bring something else of benefit to the gene pool? I don't think an affinity to beer really counts.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:34 pm

Hmmm.... its a sexist model.......but right now it looks like males fight with other males to reproduce, the gays sneaking in here and there, and the wimen left to raise the kiddies. Its a model that does seem to be "in play" a bit inefficient for our current culture but it "works" to the dismay of all?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:04 am

TJrandom wrote:Quite doubtful that `gays begat gays`
I agree.

There is a theory called the "kin selection hypothesis". Forget an individual's genes and think of the close family's gene pool. The theory suggests an advantage in a sibling not breeding so as to devote resources to his or her siblings offspring. If that sibling's children receive a benefit that increases the frequency of their family gene pool into the species gene pool and if that increased frequency is greater than the offspring of other families that do not use kin selection.......then there may be a genetic evolutionary advantage in a family member not breeding.

(Bees!)

It sort of explain why there are both men and women who don't breed

It does not necessarily mean that a non breeder is homosexual.

Oleg has previously offered some thoughts on why the theory may not be true, and indeed the evidence is pretty hard to isolate and assess.
:D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kin_selection

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:15 am

Matthew Ellard wrote: It does not necessarily mean that a non breeder is homosexual.

Then its really off point isn't it?

I'm a non-breeding non-homosexual and I don't go anywhere near my cousins.

I do "like" a more direct "controled" dna structural answer rather than a post factual manipulation of the data.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:31 am

Bi-sexuallity is the norm, not the exception in the animal kingdom.
Most giraffes are more gay than straight.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Confidencia
Poster

Postby Confidencia » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Gender based distinctions are made by the observer. It is a ridiculous notion to assume that the brain is either one way or another, it is shaped by its environment and vice versa.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:03 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I'm a non-breeding non-homosexual and I don't go anywhere near my cousins.

Thanks for offering yourself as a example. Your siblings have children and your greater family's resources are invested in them and they don't waste any resources on your children.......because you don't have any.

That's why I was careful to say "non breeders" rather than "homosexuals".

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:05 am

Confidencia wrote:Gender based distinctions are made by the observer.
Do you look at your own dick every day to make sure it's still there? :lol:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:08 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I'm a non-breeding non-homosexual and I don't go anywhere near my cousins.

Thanks for offering yourself as a example. Your siblings have children and your greater family's resources are invested in them and they don't waste any resources on your children.......because you don't have any.

That's why I was careful to say "non breeders" rather than "homosexuals".

But the POINT is as a non-breeder its MY resources that aren't being spent on my "Family's Genes."..........and the further point that "this thread" is about homo's not non-breeders. Wrong and off point with one stone.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:40 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote: But the POINT is as a non-breeder its MY resources that aren't being spent on my "Family's Genes."..........and the further point that "this thread" is about homo's not non-breeders. Wrong and off point with one stone.

But they are. Your parents are not investing any resources in you or your non-existent children and are allocating those to your siblings who did have children. It is those children who are carrying 50% of your parents genes.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:54 am

Of course my parents are investing resources in me (and yours in you). Got X-mas and B-day cards every year that they were alive. You have the mechanism of support all wrong.

Return to “Brain, Mind, & Consciousness”