Social media and loneliness.

What you think about how you think.
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Social media and loneliness.

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:26 am

Reference : New Scientist, 22 July 2017, page 32

If someone is lonely, he or she may turn to social media (possibly including this forum) to combat the bad feelings. How good or bad is that ?

According to a study by Ethan Kross at the University of Michigan, a lot of social media makes things worse. However, the bad stuff is reading social media. Being a part of it, and writing your own contributions is a lot better and may actually mitigate the lonely feeling.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Social media and loneliness.

Postby Gord » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:14 am

'Cause one is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
One is the loneliest number, whoa-oh, worse than two
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:16 am

:hmm: I guess it depends on its fiber content.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:14 am

Gord wrote:'Cause one is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
One is the loneliest number, whoa-oh, worse than two

The article emphasized that loneliness is not a function of how many people there are, but is an internal state. Some people live surrounded by other people but cannot connect, and so are lonely. It is also noteworthy that loneliness has serious negative health effects, inducing inflammation, and suppressing the ability to fight virus infection. The article equated loneliness to smoking 15 cigarettes per day.

But what struck me most was the observation that social media made things worse, not better, unless the lonely person was actively engaged in communicating, not just reading.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:14 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:The article equated loneliness to smoking 15 cigarettes per day.

Hahahahaha!

But seriously. Did it also equate it to any particular number of nails in the skull?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:08 am

I'm curious as to how subjective this is. What I mean is that, personally, I happen to require a great deal of "alone time," but I know several people who actually hate being alone. I would assume they would feel lonely more often than I do, since I don't equate being alone with being lonely, while they seem to do exactly that.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:40 am

The article, Nikki, made it clear that the feeling of loneliness is personal, and not related necessarily to being alone.

Dimebag
Regular Poster

Postby Dimebag » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:16 pm

I personally think social media isolates people rather than connecting them socially. What is another real problem is people's investment in social media to the detriment of their real relationships, which no doubt can suffer as a result if misused. Social media allows the user to create their own little circle, and it is a very controlled environment, lacking many of the normal visual and auditory cues of real life relationships, which obviously would detract from the overall feeling of connectedness. It is also an environment whereby you can alter reality to a great degree, which can create a distinct difference between a portrayed life and an actual lived life.

Over all, I think it does more harm than good, unless the user is very aware of the drawbacks and potential pitfalls.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:05 pm

Spider Robinson has a story in Callahan's Crosstime Saloon about a child with a deformity that made him look like a clown. People laughed at him reflexively. His doctor was in the saloon and being very grumpy because the child was so isolated. Callahan introduced him to social media. This was 1977.

On a real world note I have a friend that's a bit banged up from being in the 'Stan for too long. He has use of one finger and sight in one eye. He loves social media. "In cyberspace no one can see you're 98% deceased." Good attitude.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:28 pm

If I'm recalling the same story, I believe he also had Tourette's Syndrome.

Years ago, I belonged to the "Callahan's Saloon" forum on Delphi. Unfortunately, the two people who ran it were intolerant right-wingers who lacked a sense of humor. Mike would have tossed them out on their ears. So would Jake.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:30 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:The article, Nikki, made it clear that the feeling of loneliness is personal, and not related necessarily to being alone.
Well, I can't read the article. My point was that the people I mentioned did equate being alone to loneliness...even though they're not the same thing.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:24 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:If I'm recalling the same story, I believe he also had Tourette's Syndrome.

Years ago, I belonged to the "Callahan's Saloon" forum on Delphi. Unfortunately, the two people who ran it were intolerant right-wingers who lacked a sense of humor. Mike would have tossed them out on their ears. So would Jake.

Don't remember the Tourette's.

Or the gluten-free waffles, for that matter.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:10 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Don't remember the Tourette's.
Was the story "Involuntary Man's Laughter?"

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Or the gluten-free waffles, for that matter.
Huh? You mean these?

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:56 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Don't remember the Tourette's.
Was the story "Involuntary Man's Laughter?"

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Or the gluten-free waffles, for that matter.
Huh? You mean these?

It's from "Ironman III".

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:23 am

That explains my missing the reference...I missed the movie.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:08 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:It's from "Ironman III".

Nikki Nyx wrote:That explains my missing the reference...I missed the movie.

Iron Man One Hundred and Eleven is a movie now??
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:48 am

Gord wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:It's from "Ironman III".

If you see three ones there, then yes.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:16 am

A similar Ersatz emotion artificially generated is the easy and frequent feelings of success when playing mobile-app mini-games:
you might get no sense of accomplishment from your real job, but the score of your game measures your progress to the last digit.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:59 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:I'm curious as to how subjective this is. What I mean is that, personally, I happen to require a great deal of "alone time," but I know several people who actually hate being alone. I would assume they would feel lonely more often than I do, since I don't equate being alone with being lonely, while they seem to do exactly that.

Is there a word for this?
If loneliness is the feeling of malaise one has when they are alone and want to be with others then is there an word for the feeling of malaise one has when they are with others and want to be alone?
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:25 pm

Austin Harper wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:I'm curious as to how subjective this is. What I mean is that, personally, I happen to require a great deal of "alone time," but I know several people who actually hate being alone. I would assume they would feel lonely more often than I do, since I don't equate being alone with being lonely, while they seem to do exactly that.

Is there a word for this?
If loneliness is the feeling of malaise one has when they are alone and want to be with others then is there an word for the feeling of malaise one has when they are with others and want to be alone?

The Germans probably have a portmanteau word for it. :mrgreen: I don't think we have one in English; I would say that I crave solitude. It's not that I'm anti-social, and I don't have social anxiety. When I do socialize, I can be fairly extroverted. But if I don't have a certain amount of solitude, I begin to feel overwhelmed.

It may be a sensory issue for me. Social situations tend to include quite a lot of sensory information at once. Between fibromyalgia and ADHD, my brain sucks at correctly processing an overload of stimuli. It's fine for a few hours, but after that, the solitary ride home is almost more enjoyable than the event. Like decompression after diving, I need to recover. I hope that makes sense. It's hard to explain.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:55 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Gord wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:It's from "Ironman 111".

Hmm, I don't think I've seen them all then.
#ANDAMOVIE

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:11 pm

Nikki

I do not know how old you are, but a couple of things you said imply a degree of 'maturity '.
I am the same. There is a very, very common condition (hits most people eventually) related to hearing, but which is centered in tbe brain, and related to being a bit older. I forget what it is called, but I have it to a minor degree. This condition reduces the ability to hear what people are saying when there are others nearby also talking. Or when there is a lot of background noise. It makes effective communication difficult in crowded or noisy conditions. Is it possible this might be your sensory overload ?

Dimebag
Regular Poster

Postby Dimebag » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:18 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:Nikki

I do not know how old you are, but a couple of things you said imply a degree of 'maturity '.
I am the same. There is a very, very common condition (hits most people eventually) related to hearing, but which is centered in tbe brain, and related to being a bit older. I forget what it is called, but I have it to a minor degree. This condition reduces the ability to hear what people are saying when there are others nearby also talking. Or when there is a lot of background noise. It makes effective communication difficult in crowded or noisy conditions. Is it possible this might be your sensory overload ?

Hmm, quite interesting, I wonder if this condition has been documented.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:56 pm

Dimebag wrote:

Hmm, quite interesting, I wonder if this condition has been documented.

A little bit: https://umdrightnow.umd.edu/news/its-no ... your-brain

There's also Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditory_ ... g_disorder
#ANDAMOVIE

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:34 pm

Thanks for that, Gord. I read of the condition some time ago in my New Scientist, but I do not remember what it was called.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:35 pm

I'm 52. I do notice difficulty distinguishing the voice of the person talking to me from the general background noise...watching their mouth move often helps. But it's not that alone.

ADHD has different symptoms in women than in men, especially when it first develops. The hyperactivity generally seen in boys doesn't manifest in girls. Instead, there's a tendency to turn inward and daydream. Also, it manifests in girls at puberty, rather than in elementary school. The issue is that when there's a great deal of sensory stimuli, the brain has a problem sorting it out and prioritizing it. The result is that my conscious attention is pulled from one stimulus to another, because the subconscious filter doesn't work very well. It's difficult to focus on one thing when a hundred things are all equally trying to get my attention. I recall reading a description I thought was perfect: "It's like being in a room with a hundred TVs all blaring at once. You can't shut any of them off...and the door to the room is locked from the outside."

Fibromyalgia is a neurological disorder of sensory processing. It's often called central nervous system sensitization, since it results in both hyperalgesia (intensification of painful stimuli) and allodynia (non-painful stimuli being perceived as pain). It also causes endocrine system and impaired muscle functioning. Social situations generally include lots of sensory stimuli, which I experience as pain. An overproduction of adrenaline and a dysfunctional HPA axis result in a constant "fight or flight" posture, causing hyper-tense muscles, and overdeveloped startle reflex, and generalized anxiety. Lack of proper muscle oxygenation and an overproduction of lactic acid cause body-wide muscle pain and fatigue.

Put all these things together, and socializing is an overwhelming and severely exhausting activity for me. It's not a surprise, then, that I crave solitude when being alone is far less taxing on my nervous system.

Dimebag
Regular Poster

Postby Dimebag » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:51 am

I have recently discovered I have difficulty in distinguishing between female voices over a phone, or at least, certain female voices. I'm not quite sure why, it may have to do with the tone and similar mannerisms used, I have several times been incorrect in identifying the owner of the voice.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:57 pm

Gord wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Gord wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:It's from "Ironman 111".

Hmm, I don't think I've seen them all then.

That's one...

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:11 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:The Germans probably have a portmanteau word for it. :mrgreen:

Oh my. That word has only been used a handful of times on this forum.

By any chance are you a member of Prometheus? :pr:

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:03 am

I misused that word yesterday on a different forum, does that count? (I called an animal made up of other animals, like a griffin or an owlbear, a "portmanteau" because I couldn't think of the word "chimera" at the time.) (Ooh! "Chimera!" That's the word! *runs off to another forum to edit a post*)
#ANDAMOVIE

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:51 am

Gord wrote:I misused that word yesterday on a different forum, does that count? (I called an animal made up of other animals, like a griffin or an owlbear, a "portmanteau" because I couldn't think of the word "chimera" at the time.) (Ooh! "Chimera!" That's the word! *runs off to another forum to edit a post*)

Perhaps you could tell them you meant portmanteau in a metaphorical sense? There's gotta be a way to twist this into one of those things: "I meant to do that".

:twisted:

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:09 am

Apparently "chimera" is the wrong word too. I was discussing an imaginary being that is made up of three different creatures. Imagine, for example, that your legs were two other animals, and the three of you worked in coordination. What would such a being be called, if not a chimera?
#ANDAMOVIE

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:20 am

Gord wrote:Apparently "chimera" is the wrong word too. I was discussing an imaginary being that is made up of three different creatures. Imagine, for example, that your legs were two other animals, and the three of you worked in coordination. What would such a being be called, if not a chimera?

I always thought it was "chimera".

For example, see #10 here:
10 Farm Animal Hybrids You Didn’t Know Existed
http://modernfarmer.com/2014/01/10-farm-animal-hybrids-didnt-know-existed/

Scientists Create a Human-Pig Chimera
https://www.merriam-webster.com/news-trend-watch/scientists-create-a-human-pig-chimera-20170127

Or any decent dictionary.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:06 am

xouper wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:The Germans probably have a portmanteau word for it. :mrgreen:

Oh my. That word has only been used a handful of times on this forum.

By any chance are you a member of Prometheus? :pr:

Hadn't even heard of that society until now. Most of the German language seems to consist of portmanteau words.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:44 am

xouper wrote:
Gord wrote:Apparently "chimera" is the wrong word too. I was discussing an imaginary being that is made up of three different creatures. Imagine, for example, that your legs were two other animals, and the three of you worked in coordination. What would such a being be called, if not a chimera?

I always thought it was "chimera".

For example, see #10 here:
10 Farm Animal Hybrids You Didn’t Know Existed
http://modernfarmer.com/2014/01/10-farm-animal-hybrids-didnt-know-existed/

Scientists Create a Human-Pig Chimera
https://www.merriam-webster.com/news-trend-watch/scientists-create-a-human-pig-chimera-20170127

Or any decent dictionary.

Well, a Portuguese man-o-war is a colony creature. Like this!

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Colony_creature

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Colony_creature
#ANDAMOVIE

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:05 pm

Wake up, everyone!
Hello? Anyone? You there?

sigh
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:09 pm

Aztexan wrote:Wake up, everyone!
Hello? Anyone? You there?

sigh

WTF!! :hurlsalarmclockatcattherebykilling2birdswithonestonesotospeak:
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:14 pm

Oh good. You're awake

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:15 pm

Let me know what happens here. I'm going to take a nap.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:47 pm

I can't, I have to go shopping for dog food. :grumble:
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “Brain, Mind, & Consciousness”