A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

What you think about how you think.
Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Confidencia » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:34 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:Your solipsism theory doesn't hold water. I know for a fact I certainly wouldn't have invented you.
Whether you care to see it or not I exist in your mind as an image this is a fact.
No, it's not. I have no image of you in my mind, since I have no idea what you look like.


The fact that you have no idea implies that the process of elimination is already underway allbeit inadvertently. The mind never looks, it imagines. Even if I were to stand in front of you it would still be an image rendered by the brain.

Confidencia wrote:And whilst we are on the subject of fact as a matter of fact the only thing you know for sure is that you exist everything else you claim to know is uncertain.
Nonsense. In my conscious experience, everything with which I interact and everyone with whom I interact exists.


Of course they do, in your mind.

Confidencia wrote:On the highest level, consciousness it is all your doing, on the lowest level, the mind you do nothing. Everything is done to you not by you.
More nonsense. Define the italicized terms, please. Without the brain, there is no consciousness,


Well there's only one way to find out if that's true or not, apply the scientific method to yourself. Do some investigation on your own terms, use your intelligence that you were born with and think for yourself.

although brain dysfunction caused by injury, birth defect, or disease can create a situation where there exists a brain with no consciousness.


How do you know there is no consciousness? There may not be no immediate signs observable but they could be most acutely aware. A dysfunctional brain simply means communication is limited or non existence. The user is unaffected.

But consciousness is not independent of a fully-functional brain. As I said, dualism is BS.


It is actually the other way round. Your limited understanding of yourself causes you to believe the impossible. Unless there is awareness there is neither consciousness nor a brain to regulate it. Consciousness gives rise to the forms, the brain is a form of consciousness as is the body that contains it. Matter starts where consciousness cannot reach. It is like water, unless it is transformed into vapour it cannot be suspended in the air. Matter does not initiate life, life initiates matter - into a vehicle of consciousness.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:11 am

What are you smoking, dude?
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3072
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby ElectricMonk » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:45 am

It's common for people when faced with seemingly top-down causality processes (like consciousness) to discount bottom-up causality.
But physical processes, very often, are both at the same time.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby mirror93 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:07 pm

Confidencia wrote:
SteveKlinko wrote:I think that the post touches on something that we have all overlooked: Maybe the ultimate goal of the Universe is for the Evolution of Consciousness. The Physical Human Brain might just be the Soil that a Conscious Mind can grow in.



This is all in your dreaming the universe is your own private little affair. It all happens in your mind.


you mean what happens in the universe you perceive and filter with your mind your own pre-conceived opinions, yeah.
but there still an objective reality which you and me and everyone else are part of. you can't deny it. unless you're a solipsist.

User avatar
digress
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 am
Custom Title: doomer
Contact:

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby digress » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:45 pm

I don't see the immediate link between what Confidencia is saying and his being labeled as a solipsist.

Are you a solipsist Confidencia?
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:08 am

It's simple, really. Everything that's still there after you've stopped believing in it constitutes reality. Reality doesn't require belief.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Confidencia » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:07 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:What are you smoking, dude?

Life eternal.

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Confidencia » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:41 pm

mirror93 wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
SteveKlinko wrote:I think that the post touches on something that we have all overlooked: Maybe the ultimate goal of the Universe is for the Evolution of Consciousness. The Physical Human Brain might just be the Soil that a Conscious Mind can grow in.



This is all in your dreaming the universe is your own private little affair. It all happens in your mind.


you mean what happens in the universe you perceive and filter with your mind your own pre-conceived opinions, yeah.


You have said it! The mind is a filter and through it the whole universe is perceived the way you like it. It is nothing but a mental formation, this is the fact.

but there still an objective reality which you and me and everyone else are part of. you can't deny it. unless you're a solipsist.


And neither can you deny the meaningless suffering that comes with it unless you are a solipsist. I do not deny the appearance of things I just refuse to give them any reality. In my sleep I am still there but the world is not.

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Confidencia » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:49 pm

digress wrote:I don't see the immediate link between what Confidencia is saying and his being labeled as a solipsist.

Are you a solipsist Confidencia?


Can there be such a term in the realms of compassionate awareness?

User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby mirror93 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:21 pm

Confidencia wrote:
mirror93 wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
SteveKlinko wrote:I think that the post touches on something that we have all overlooked: Maybe the ultimate goal of the Universe is for the Evolution of Consciousness. The Physical Human Brain might just be the Soil that a Conscious Mind can grow in.



This is all in your dreaming the universe is your own private little affair. It all happens in your mind.


you mean what happens in the universe you perceive and filter with your mind your own pre-conceived opinions, yeah.


You have said it! The mind is a filter and through it the whole universe is perceived the way you like it. It is nothing but a mental formation, this is the fact.

but there still an objective reality which you and me and everyone else are part of. you can't deny it. unless you're a solipsist.


And neither can you deny the meaningless suffering that comes with it unless you are a solipsist. I do not deny the appearance of things I just refuse to give them any reality. In my sleep I am still there but the world is not.


there is a big difference between the word 'illusion' and 'reality' that's why we understand both concepts and we created both concepts, to differ from each other.
just like 'appearances/mirage' and 'reality'

what ur saying is a bunch of silly garbage that doesn't apply to any of this.
what has a reality is real.
what is illusory is what a schizophrenic is seeing that no one else around is seeing.
if u take reality and call it appearance, you also must say what is real compared to this that is "appearance", so we can make sense of what you're saying. ie, prove what has more reality than reality to call what has a reality an 'appearance', if you can't do it, you're full of {!#%@} (as expected)

User avatar
digress
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 am
Custom Title: doomer
Contact:

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby digress » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:27 pm

Confidencia wrote:
digress wrote:I don't see the immediate link between what Confidencia is saying and his being labeled as a solipsist.

Are you a solipsist Confidencia?


Can there be such a term in the realms of compassionate awareness?


Yes? Is this term banned in your realms?
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Confidencia » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:27 pm

digress wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
digress wrote:I don't see the immediate link between what Confidencia is saying and his being labeled as a solipsist.

Are you a solipsist Confidencia?


Can there be such a term in the realms of compassionate awareness?

Yes? Is this term banned in your realms?


Strictly speaking yes. Can you verify any self in your sleep?

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Confidencia » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:53 pm

mirror93 wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
mirror93 wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
SteveKlinko wrote:I think that the post touches on something that we have all overlooked: Maybe the ultimate goal of the Universe is for the Evolution of Consciousness. The Physical Human Brain might just be the Soil that a Conscious Mind can grow in.



This is all in your dreaming the universe is your own private little affair. It all happens in your mind.


you mean what happens in the universe you perceive and filter with your mind your own pre-conceived opinions, yeah.


You have said it! The mind is a filter and through it the whole universe is perceived the way you like it. It is nothing but a mental formation, this is the fact.

but there still an objective reality which you and me and everyone else are part of. you can't deny it. unless you're a solipsist.


And neither can you deny the meaningless suffering that comes with it unless you are a solipsist. I do not deny the appearance of things I just refuse to give them any reality. In my sleep I am still there but the world is not.


there is a big difference between the word 'illusion' and 'reality' that's why we understand both concepts and we created both concepts, to differ from each other.
just like 'appearances/mirage' and 'reality'


Of course there is but you have yet to understand the term reality beyond the body sense.


what ur saying is a bunch of silly garbage that doesn't apply to any of this.


You can call it what you like, but throwing your dummy out will not make you understand it any better. For that you must exercise some intelligents.

what has a reality is real.


And what does not is not real. In other words as long as you are there it is real, when you are not it is not.

what is illusory is what a schizophrenic is seeing that no one else around is seeing.


An illusion is an erroneous perception of reality. Taking appearances for reality is self delusion.

if u take reality and call it appearance, you also must say what is real compared to this that is "appearance", so we can make sense of what you're saying. ie, prove what has more reality than reality to call what has a reality an 'appearance', if you can't do it, you're full of {!#%@} (as expected)


Can you adjust your tie on the image in the mirror? I know it for myself and so should you. Reality is indescribable so if it comes from somebody else you will perceive yet another idea or concept based on your imagination. This is fine if you are still in your infancy otherwise you are going to have to remove your own {!#%@} in order to see it.

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Confidencia » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:43 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:It's common for people when faced with seemingly top-down causality processes (like consciousness) to discount bottom-up causality.
But physical processes, very often, are both at the same time.


And what about awareness?

User avatar
digress
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 am
Custom Title: doomer
Contact:

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby digress » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:47 pm

Confidencia wrote:Strictly speaking yes. Can you verify any self in your sleep?


Well, it took a few posts but thanks for answering my question. You claim knowledge such as reality being unreal, terms not existing, and inferring the limits of sleep as knowledge. This is not solipsism.
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Confidencia » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:52 pm

digress wrote:
Confidencia wrote:Strictly speaking yes. Can you verify any self in your sleep?


Well, it took a few posts but thanks for answering my question. You claim knowledge such as reality being unreal, terms not existing, and inferring the limits of sleep as knowledge. This is not solipsism.


Sleep is only a lapse in memory and the idea of a self is contained in a memory. In reality nothing can be known because there is nobody to know it and no-thing to know, it is to this end that all knowledge of what is becomes a form of ignorance.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8119
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Poodle » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:59 pm

Confidencia wrote:... In reality nothing can be known because there is nobody to know it and no-thing to know, it is to this end that all knowledge of what is becomes a form of ignorance.

Don't I just love rhubarb!
Confidencia, if what you say about what can be known is true, then your argument applies equally to ignorance. How could you possibly know what forms ignorance takes? Don't bother to respond - your own claim invalidates your conclusion. In fact, it invalidates every word you've said.

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Confidencia » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:00 pm

Poodle wrote:
Confidencia wrote:... In reality nothing can be known because there is nobody to know it and no-thing to know, it is to this end that all knowledge of what is becomes a form of ignorance.

Don't I just love rhubarb!
Confidencia, if what you say about what can be known is true, then your argument applies equally to ignorance.


Of course it does. This much should be obvious in the phrase ALL KNOWLEDGE - If all knowledge is known by its opposite which is of course ignorance.

How could you possibly know what forms ignorance takes?


By the existence of knowledge of course. The moment you claim to know something it is out of ignorance that you do so.

your own claim invalidates your conclusion. In fact, it invalidates every word you've said.


You should learn to read to understand poodle, in intelligent understanding all is revealed.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10209
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:40 pm

The word play sophistry here is moronic.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8119
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Poodle » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:40 pm

That's not wordplay, bobbo - Confidencia is simply wrong. This may be because he suffers from what he accuses me of - very poor reading ability - or, possibly, he completely fails to understand the point I made or, more likely, he's only reached page 15 in his "How to argue with skeptics and make yourself look an ignorant tosspot" manual.

To Confidencia - I invite you to read my post again, but please read something on logical fallacies first.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10209
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:53 pm

Poodle.........I was caught thinking "I don't know what Poodle is thinking of......." and even now as I re-read it, I still don't know.

"Confidencia, if what you say about what can be known is true, then your argument applies equally to ignorance." //// Ummmm.....its too painful to review.

Is there really anything there? Can you rephrase your point that I'm just too dumb/other minded/concrete in thinking/rejecting of mindless word play/lazy.... to understand myself??? ........ if there is anything there?????
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8119
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Poodle » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:03 am

OK bobbo, although it's giving Confidencia a clue. Examine the statement "nothing can be known" and ask yourself how anyone could know that if it was true. Then go on to examine his following statement that "all knowledge of what is becomes a form of ignorance", which is itself a claim of knowledge.
This is how pseudo-philosophers work. It's utter BS.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29100
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Gord » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:32 am

"I can't know anything.
"I can make my opening statement only because I know that I can't know anything.
"However, since I can't know anything, I can't know that I know that I can't know anything.
"Therefore my original statement was made in ignorance."
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:49 am

Confidencia, you are wasting your time quoting what I post and commenting on it. I blocked you several weeks ago, and no longer see your posts, because I became weary of your repetitive, nonsensical word salad. Have you failed to notice that I no longer respond to you? Or, since you claim to create your own reality, am I, in fact, still responding?
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8119
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Poodle » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:37 am

I thought about thanking Nikki for that post but then decided against it.

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Confidencia » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:01 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:The word play sophistry here is moronic.


You said it!

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8119
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Poodle » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:15 am

Is that your counter-argument, then, Confidencia? What's happened to the School of Logical Implausibility?

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Confidencia » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:30 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:Confidencia, you are wasting your time quoting what I post and commenting on it. I blocked you several weeks ago, and no longer see your posts, because I became weary of your repetitive, nonsensical word salad. Have you failed to notice that I no longer respond to you? Or, since you claim to create your own reality, am I, in fact, still responding?


You sound and write like an infant and have about as much comprehension as one. What chance is there of you understanding anything fundamental? An indirect response is as good as any. But since you have just responded directly perhaps you might want to reconsider your notion.

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Confidencia » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:34 am

Poodle wrote:Is that your counter-argument, then, Confidencia? What's happened to the School of Logical Implausibility?


It's all contained in the logic of your understanding. And since it is very limited the question comes as no surprise.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8119
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Poodle » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:03 am

:lol:

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Confidencia » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:59 pm

Poodle wrote:
To Confidencia - I invite you to read my post again, but please read something on logical fallacies first.


It makes no difference if I read your post a thousand times, logic fallacies do not apply to reality. A false notion by its very nature is unreal, make belief. In any case there is nothing logical about reality, that part you invent within reason. You collect data about the world you project and invented words like consistency and fallacy to fit in with your beliefs. You then relate them by convention to other belief systems until you find evidence to qualify qualia.

Poodle listen and listen good! You can find evidence for just about anything providing you trust your proof. Since mind moulds itself to the conditions in which it is exposed to it is not that difficult, you only need interest and earnestness to follow it through. After all, all your experiences are in the mind only, you shape them according to your belief. It is to this end you shape the content of your consciousness according to your likes and dislikes. But ultimately you are deceiving yourself, as a false notion can only be based on a foundation of incorrectness.

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Confidencia » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:51 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
"Confidencia, if what you say about what can be known is true, then your argument applies equally to ignorance." //// Ummmm.....its too painful to review.


Well, as they say, the truth is an offence.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8119
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Poodle » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:45 pm

Confidencia wrote:
Poodle wrote:
To Confidencia - I invite you to read my post again, but please read something on logical fallacies first.


It makes no difference if I read your post a thousand times, logic fallacies do not apply to reality. A false notion by its very nature is unreal, make belief. In any case there is nothing logical about reality, that part you invent within reason. You collect data about the world you project and invented words like consistency and fallacy to fit in with your beliefs. You then relate them by convention to other belief systems until you find evidence to qualify qualia.

Poodle listen and listen good! You can find evidence for just about anything providing you trust your proof. Since mind moulds itself to the conditions in which it is exposed to it is not that difficult, you only need interest and earnestness to follow it through. After all, all your experiences are in the mind only, you shape them according to your belief. It is to this end you shape the content of your consciousness according to your likes and dislikes. But ultimately you are deceiving yourself, as a false notion can only be based on a foundation of incorrectness.


But you've already said that you can't know any of that. Which is it to be?

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29100
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Gord » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:02 am

Poodle wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Poodle wrote:
To Confidencia - I invite you to read my post again, but please read something on logical fallacies first.


It makes no difference if I read your post a thousand times, logic fallacies do not apply to reality. A false notion by its very nature is unreal, make belief. In any case there is nothing logical about reality, that part you invent within reason. You collect data about the world you project and invented words like consistency and fallacy to fit in with your beliefs. You then relate them by convention to other belief systems until you find evidence to qualify qualia.

Poodle listen and listen good! You can find evidence for just about anything providing you trust your proof. Since mind moulds itself to the conditions in which it is exposed to it is not that difficult, you only need interest and earnestness to follow it through. After all, all your experiences are in the mind only, you shape them according to your belief. It is to this end you shape the content of your consciousness according to your likes and dislikes. But ultimately you are deceiving yourself, as a false notion can only be based on a foundation of incorrectness.

But you've already said that you can't know any of that. Which is it to be?

He can't know any of it because he hasn't figured it out yet.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:52 pm

Poodle wrote:I thought about thanking Nikki for that post but then decided against it.
Then it must have been me creating the reality that you thanked me. :mrgreen:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8119
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Poodle » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:21 am

We live/die in singular/multiple times/divides. Then we die. Or not. Man/Woman.

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Confidencia » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:42 pm

Poodle wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Poodle wrote:
To Confidencia - I invite you to read my post again, but please read something on logical fallacies first.


It makes no difference if I read your post a thousand times, logic fallacies do not apply to reality. A false notion by its very nature is unreal, make belief. In any case there is nothing logical about reality, that part you invent within reason. You collect data about the world you project and invented words like consistency and fallacy to fit in with your beliefs. You then relate them by convention to other belief systems until you find evidence to qualify qualia.

Poodle listen and listen good! You can find evidence for just about anything providing you trust your proof. Since mind moulds itself to the conditions in which it is exposed to it is not that difficult, you only need interest and earnestness to follow it through. After all, all your experiences are in the mind only, you shape them according to your belief. It is to this end you shape the content of your consciousness according to your likes and dislikes. But ultimately you are deceiving yourself, as a false notion can only be based on a foundation of incorrectness.


But you've already said that you can't know any of that. Which is it to be?


No. I'm saying you can't know ultimate truth, fact, reality. The absolute fact of the absolute truth cannot be known, this is what I am saying.

Confidencia
Poster
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby Confidencia » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:46 pm

Gord wrote:
Poodle wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Poodle wrote:
To Confidencia - I invite you to read my post again, but please read something on logical fallacies first.


It makes no difference if I read your post a thousand times, logic fallacies do not apply to reality. A false notion by its very nature is unreal, make belief. In any case there is nothing logical about reality, that part you invent within reason. You collect data about the world you project and invented words like consistency and fallacy to fit in with your beliefs. You then relate them by convention to other belief systems until you find evidence to qualify qualia.

Poodle listen and listen good! You can find evidence for just about anything providing you trust your proof. Since mind moulds itself to the conditions in which it is exposed to it is not that difficult, you only need interest and earnestness to follow it through. After all, all your experiences are in the mind only, you shape them according to your belief. It is to this end you shape the content of your consciousness according to your likes and dislikes. But ultimately you are deceiving yourself, as a false notion can only be based on a foundation of incorrectness.

But you've already said that you can't know any of that. Which is it to be?

He can't know any of it because he hasn't figured it out yet.


The absolute cannot be figured by any measure. In the absolute who is there to compare?

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4129
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby gorgeous » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:15 am

seth------"Instead, consciousness formed matter. As I have said before, each atom and molecule has its own consciousness. Consciousness and matter and energy are one, but consciousness initiates the transformation of energy into matter. In those terms, the “beginning” of your universe was a triumph in the expansion of consciousness, as it learned to translate itself into physical form. The universe emerged into actuality in the same way, but to a different degree, that any idea emerges from what you think of as subjectivity into physical expression.

The consciousness of each reader of this book existed before the universe was formed (in your terms) but that consciousness was unmanifest. Your closest approximation — and it is an approximation only — of the state of being that existed before the universe was formed is the dream state. In that state before the beginning, your consciousness existed free of space and time, aware of immense probabilities. This is extremely difficult to verbalize, yet it is very important that such an attempt be made. Your consciousness is part of an infinitely original creative process."
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
placid
Regular Poster
Posts: 639
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:39 am

Re: A new way to determine the role consciousness plays

Postby placid » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:06 am

mirror93 wrote:
you mean what happens in the universe you perceive and filter with your mind your own pre-conceived opinions, yeah.
but there still an objective reality which you and me and everyone else are part of. you can't deny it. unless you're a solipsist.


The essential feeling of being is the same for every living person, in that they are all the same awareness.

The thought of an individual ''I'' person arises in the same awareness for every body.

It would not be possible for the ''I'' thought to arise or be recognised if there was no primary knowing awareness already present prior to the ''I'' thought.

So the ''I'' thought>>(I am Fred Blogs ) ...is known ONLY by Awareness that is always silently present as pure being. The ''I'' thought I am Fred Blogs it is not known by Fred Blogs.
Fred only exists as a ''thought'' appearing in awareness. An awareness that has to BE ..before any thought can be known to arise.

So it's not the individual ''I'' that knows...it's the awareness of the ''I'' thought that knows itself. The ''I'' thought being the known.

The ''I'' that is aware is the same ''I'' that knows.

The ''I'' that knows is the ''I'' that is known.

There is no objective world out-there...that is not first in-here, IN YOU ..AKA AWARENESS..

You are first and foremost awareness of every objective experience, and while objective experiences differ and are unique...that which is aware of every objective experience is the same ONE ...in every ONE

.


Return to “Brain, Mind, & Consciousness”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest