Is Field of awareness woo woo ?

What you think about how you think.
Venerable Kwan Tam Woo
Frequent Poster

Re: Is Field of awareness woo woo ?

Postby Venerable Kwan Tam Woo » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:12 am

zeuzzz wrote:You don't spend much time thinking about breathing. It's not in your awareness most of the time. You might become aware of it after strenuous exercise, but even then you can largely just be aware of other things and not really focus on it.

Just making the point that awareness is tricky, as even things you assume you are always aware of are often more subconscious things that you rarely directly cognize.

This comment goes straight to the point of what awareness really is: layered cognition informed by sensory prominence.
"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."
- Mark Twain

The Terrifying Brilliance of the Islamic Memeplex

sandisk
Poster

Postby sandisk » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:43 pm

Venerable Kwan Tam Woo wrote:
sandisk wrote: I'm sure that awareness = brain.

And I'm sure your wrong, at least if corpses are anything to go by.

Awareness = an (inter)activity of the brain with its sensory environment.

But I'm sure that awareness doesn't need any external input

How so? Cite some examples.

Deep Meditation. There are no external input and you are more than fully aware of itself

Venerable Kwan Tam Woo
Frequent Poster

Postby Venerable Kwan Tam Woo » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:23 pm

sandisk wrote:
Venerable Kwan Tam Woo wrote:
sandisk wrote: I'm sure that awareness = brain.

And I'm sure your wrong, at least if corpses are anything to go by.

Awareness = an (inter)activity of the brain with its sensory environment.

But I'm sure that awareness doesn't need any external input

How so? Cite some examples.

Deep Meditation. There are no external input and you are more than fully aware of itself

There is no direct external input, which is not the same as saying that there is no sensory input whatsoever. There are still mental objects in deep meditation, and these mental objects are fashioned by the brain from previous sensory data. In Buddhist meditation you only truly do away with all input when you reach the ultimate meditative state of Nirodha Samapatti. What is Nirodha Samapatti? It is none other than the extinction of feeling and perception, and the temporary suspension of all consciousness and mental activity. So even the Buddhists agree: no sensory input, no awareness.
"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."
- Mark Twain

The Terrifying Brilliance of the Islamic Memeplex

mirror93
Poster

Postby mirror93 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:53 am

the difference here is being "aware of" or simply "aware".
if one has no sense about anything external to him, he cannot be aware OF anything, he wil be simply aware. his own self aware of nothing. therefore not aware of anything at all. only a conscious entity with no mental content. just empty thoughts lol

Dimebag
Regular Poster

Postby Dimebag » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:40 pm

mirror93 wrote:the difference here is being "aware of" or simply "aware".
if one has no sense about anything external to him, he cannot be aware OF anything, he wil be simply aware. his own self aware of nothing. therefore not aware of anything at all. only a conscious entity with no mental content. just empty thoughts lol

I don't believe it is possible to be aware of nothing, and I will explain why. There is a theory of the brain and of conscious experience which proposes that what we experience is a direct result of our perceptual areas making predictions about incoming sense data, and the sense data "rein in" the perceptual areas' predictions. Without external sense data to rein in the perceptual areas, they are free to explore their full limits of prediction, and hallucinations ensue. This would explain why people experience hallucinations when undergoing sensory deprivation.

The human brain evolved to be extremely fast and reasonably accurate at making predictions about the external environment, as well as our own internal states. We can't help but do this, it is an involuntary process, so it makes no sense to talk of a functional brain without acknowledging that it will always have some mental content within awareness. Our perception is not a passive system, it is a combination of active prediction colliding with passive sensory compensation.

digress
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: doomer

Postby digress » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:54 am

Awareness is like when you dress up really nice for a special event and confidently walk out the door wearing clothes someone else made.
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

mirror93
Poster

Postby mirror93 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:44 pm

Dimebag wrote:

I don't believe it is possible to be aware of nothing, and I will explain why. There is a theory of the brain and of conscious experience which proposes that what we experience is a direct result of our perceptual areas making predictions about incoming sense data, and the sense data "rein in" the perceptual areas' predictions. Without external sense data to rein in the perceptual areas, they are free to explore their full limits of prediction, and hallucinations ensue. This would explain why people experience hallucinations when undergoing sensory deprivation.

The human brain evolved to be extremely fast and reasonably accurate at making predictions about the external environment, as well as our own internal states. We can't help but do this, it is an involuntary process, so it makes no sense to talk of a functional brain without acknowledging that it will always have some mental content within awareness. Our perception is not a passive system, it is a combination of active prediction colliding with passive sensory compensation.

Hmm, I don't know if I fully agree with this. I do believe in evolution, but all this talk about that the brain 'evolved' because of this or that is more speculation than anything else, no one knows why evolved this way...it could be true btw, I do believe that one can be aware, even if one has never experienced anything outside of him own subjective reality, which doesn't necessarily have to be 'nothing'. aware of his own subjectivity, aware by himself, but just in a different way.... I do know that there are degrees of awareness. So, being "aware of his own mind while never experienced anything outside of him" may be a different degree of awareness, like different states of your consciousness

Confidencia
Poster

Postby Confidencia » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:36 pm

mirror93 wrote:
Dimebag wrote:

Hmm, I don't know if I fully agree with this. I do believe in evolution, but all this talk about that the brain 'evolved' because of this or that is more speculation than anything else, no one knows why evolved this way...it could be true btw, I do believe that one can be aware, even if one has never experienced anything outside of him own subjective reality, which doesn't necessarily have to be 'nothing'. aware of his own subjectivity, aware by himself, but just in a different way.... I do know that there are degrees of awareness. So, being "aware of his own mind while never experienced anything outside of him" may be a different degree of awareness, like different states of your consciousness

There is a difference in kind but no such thing as degrees or even levels, levels and degrees are attributes of consciousness not awareness. Awareness is one solid block of pure cognition. So when all you skeptics talk about awareness - being aware you are merely thinking about it, you are not actually aware. Awareness reflected in consciousness is nothing but recognition, some mental concept or verbal definition. In full awareness you are being aware of your awareness.

placid
Regular Poster

Postby placid » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:54 pm

There is only Awareness... so it's not woo woo.

Nothing is revealed that is not already known by awareness instantly re-cognised by the brain... there is no inside or outside of the brain, the brain is in awareness...awareness is everywhere at once nowhere.

placid is not aware, there is only the awareness of placid ..thus placid doesn't exist apart from that aware knowing ...there really is no 'placid' to reveal nor be surprised by, or opened up to 'new' knowledge.

That which is known is in awareness in the moment it is re-cognised... no 'other' is the source of this knowing.

This is by through and for Awareness alone.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:12 am

placid wrote:There is only Awareness... so it's not woo woo.

There are other things. You simply made a really stupid statement because you mindlessly believe in one form of "woo"

Why are you bothering to tell us about "your reality". You the pro-Hitler idiot, who stated we all make our own individual realities. Are you confused about your own belief system again? :lol:

placid
Regular Poster

Postby placid » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:08 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:

There are other things. :

Yes, there are many things known only to awareness. No awareness, no knowledge of any thing. Awareness is the fundamental pre-existing condition that has to be for any known thing to emerge.

There is no question about being awareness, you are, so you're already the answer. As awareness you do not move or change, you are not-a-thing.... every ''thing'' moves and changes in THAT.

Language is inseparable from this immediate knowing awareness, language is an appearance within you inseparable from you, although language appears to break the wholeness up into many parts....Awareness aka YOU can never be broken.

Awareness is pristine. Meaning nothing adheres to it, no thought, image, sound, odour, taste, or bodily sensation. Thus not directly recognizable.

Awareness is frictionless, resisting nothing. No thought, action, occurrence, or consequence. As such, there is no resistance to living, dying, or any so-called state of being.

The ''person'' is just an ''I thought'' appearing in it...but is not it.

No "I" exists in the emptiness between thoughts, "I" cannot find or lose awareness. There is only silent awareness..and, of course, the contents of awareness.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:17 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:There are other things. :
placid wrote: Yes, there are many things known only to awareness.

The universe was full of basic particles before any life forms evolved, to be aware of anything. What do you think life evolved from?

You really are a totally ignorant, Hitler loving, idiot.
:lol:

placid
Regular Poster

Postby placid » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:50 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:The universe was full of basic particles before any life forms evolved, to be aware of anything. What do you think life evolved from?

No ''thing''.. is, was, has, or ever will be Conscious, everything is UnConscious....

Consciousness is being Aware of Un-Consciousness

Awareness is No Thing appearing as Everything.

Even if we assume that Everything has come out of Nothing, that Nothing has to be Something. We are always LOST in words like, Nothing, Something, Everything etc. Words are mere approximation of a greater truth which is inexplicable.

Something and Nothing. Nothing and Everything. Death and Life ..There is no difference. It's all one seamless reality NOW.. a divine paradox.

There is no departing from any starting-point.... or arriving at any end-point...THERE IS ONLY THE ETERNAL (unmoving, unchanging, unborn) NOW.. in which no ''thing'' ever happened...and yet everything is happening right NOW...but not to a single thing.

placid
Regular Poster

Postby placid » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:57 am

''Thinking'' is what creates the ghost in the machine of the human mind body organism.

''Thinking'' artificially creates the Strawman effect.

As such, arguments for or about awareness are as meaningless or as meaningful as an illusory thinker thinks they are.

NOW cannot happen, because it's always NOW.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:49 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:The universe was full of basic particles before any life forms evolved, to be aware of anything. What do you think life evolved from?
placid wrote:No ''thing''.. is, was, has, or ever will be Conscious, everything is UnConscious.
Are you trying to prove to everyone you are a complete idiot? How was an electron in the early universe "aware" of anything. You just contradicted yourself, yet again.

You're just really really dumb.

placid
Regular Poster

Postby placid » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:07 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
You're just really really dumb.

Nothing aka no thing is aware. Awareness is impersonal it doesn't have an identity.

Language is the only thing alive here...the only thing with an identity.

And who you calling dumb?..The air, the space, the body..who or what is dumb but the word itself?

You don't actual believe there is a little person inside your brain do you..?

Sorry to hear you don't understand who or what you are, don't project your own ignorant dumbness on me, just because you don't understand what's being communicated.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:49 am

placid two days ago wrote:There is only Awareness...

placid today wrote: Nothing aka no thing is aware. Awareness is impersonal it doesn't have an identity.

So there is nothing "to be aware" and thus "no awareness going on" and you have contradicted yourself yet again.

Did you lose some sort of bet and are obliged to post idiotic, conflicting, nonsensical claims here?
:lol:

Return to “Brain, Mind, & Consciousness”