Is Field of awareness woo woo ?

What you think about how you think.
sandisk
Poster

Is Field of awareness woo woo ?

Postby sandisk » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:27 am

Is self-awareness more than just the brain?

there are new agers, neo-advaita woo woo "teachers" out there, especially deepak chopra claiming that the world is a "field of awareness" "field of consciousness" what they mean by that, what is the oficial position of the scientific community?

I don't believe that awareness is more than just the brain, IMO, thinking that awareness is outside of the brain is one step close to delusion.

Awareness, Self-Awareness or whatever that makes one conscious or aware = Brain
the objective world is just the objective world. Dead (full of substance, but with no labels, is we the humans makes it) the objective world is Miserable and dead, no awareness whatsoever, because awareness = brain, and we are the one's making meaning of the objective world.
Isn't it?
Last edited by sandisk on Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Re: Is Field of awareness woo woo ?

Postby Poodle » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:00 pm

If awareness is a field, where are the force carriers?

Let's get in first and call them espions. When espions are detected and confirmed, I'll accept an awareness field.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:51 pm

Poodle wrote:When espions are detected and confirmed, I'll accept an awareness field.

French spies? :befuddled:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRKmjR21h60
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:38 pm

No - they are particles of the Elysian field.

But yeah - espion is not a good name. How about woo-ons?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:10 am

Poodle wrote:How about woo-ons?

How about woowoons?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:02 am

That's the one!

Well done, Gord. Now we can discuss how many woowoons are needed to make a conspiron.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:21 am

I wonder if a woowoon is an elementary particle? Probably not made of gluons, but perhaps gluey morons. ("Gluey moron" is an anagram of "numerology": http://anagramscramble.com/anagrams-of/numerology )
#ANDAMOVIE

sandisk
Poster

Postby sandisk » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:44 am

I'm discussing with my friend now who is adamant that there is awareness outside of the brain, someone with studies in this area of the brain, could show me any article right now which proves that awareness is only in the brain?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:22 am

Is your friend offering evidence of awareness outside the brain? If so, what is it they claim?
Hi, Io the lurker.

sandisk
Poster

Postby sandisk » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:09 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Is your friend offering evidence of awareness outside the brain? If so, what is it they claim?

He is using the double slit experiment as a "proof"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwXQjRBLwsQ
in his view, the Observer is everywhere, "atoms" are observers.. , so he said that everything is looking, so this "proves" that awareness is outside of the brain.

And that the unified field of physics has been proved to be made of Awareness/Consciousness. (John Hagelin "PhD" in consciousness" said it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrcWntw9juM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyPWvg9dxD4

I don't have much understanding about physics, can someone help me here

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:43 am

The "observer" in this experiments is actually just a physical interaction. The "observation" does not require consciousness.

Try looking for more information on a physics forum, like this one: Busting the myth of the observer: the double slit experiment The opening poster suggestively replaces the term "observer" with the term "brutal interference".
#ANDAMOVIE

sandisk
Poster

Postby sandisk » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:45 am

Gord wrote:The "observer" in this experiments is actually just a physical interaction. The "observation" does not require consciousness.

Try looking for more information on a physics forum, like this one: Busting the myth of the observer: the double slit experiment The opening poster suggestively replaces the term "observer" with the term "brutal interference".

Thank you Gord

Venerable Kwan Tam Woo
Frequent Poster

Postby Venerable Kwan Tam Woo » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:04 am

sandisk wrote:Is self-awareness more than just the brain?

there are new agers, neo-advaita woo woo "teachers" out there, especially deepak chopra claiming that the world is a "field of awareness" "field of consciousness" what they mean by that, what is the oficial position of the scientific community?

I don't believe that awareness is more than just the brain, IMO, thinking that awareness is outside of the brain is one step close to delusion.

the objective world is just the objective world. Dead (full of substance, but with no labels, is we the humans makes it) the objective world is Miserable and dead, no awareness whatsoever, because awareness = brain, and we are the one's making meaning of the objective world.
Isn't it?

Awareness is not just the brain, nor is it an external cosmic field. Rather, awareness is an interaction between the brain and its environment.
"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."
- Mark Twain

The Terrifying Brilliance of the Islamic Memeplex

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:06 am

It should never be done, but I wonder what kind of person an 18 yo would be if it were born and immediately placed into a sensory deprivation chamber. Different......

Ummm.... the above is in agreement and support of the Venerable one.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:45 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:...I wonder what kind of person an 18 yo would be if it were born and immediately placed into a sensory deprivation chamber....

Eighteen-year-olds aren't born, they're made. It takes approximately 18 years.
#ANDAMOVIE

sandisk
Poster

Postby sandisk » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:39 am

Venerable Kwan Tam Woo wrote:
sandisk wrote:Is self-awareness more than just the brain?

Isn't it?

Awareness is not just the brain, nor is it an external cosmic field. Rather, awareness is an interaction between the brain and its environment.

So are you telling me that If someone born deaf-blind-mute he is not aware at all?
By awareness I mean, existing. Not aware of 'what's happening'

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:01 am

Touch, smell, taste....

sandisk
Poster

Postby sandisk » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:40 pm

TJrandom wrote:Touch, smell, taste....

Yeah, but the person would still be aware ..but not aware of its existence as a person and not aware of the external world. But simply aware.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:51 pm

sandisk wrote:
TJrandom wrote:Touch, smell, taste....

Yeah, but the person would still be aware ..but not aware of its existence as a person and not aware of the external world. But simply aware.

Much like a newborn...

Venerable Kwan Tam Woo
Frequent Poster

Postby Venerable Kwan Tam Woo » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:48 pm

sandisk wrote:
Venerable Kwan Tam Woo wrote: Awareness is not just the brain, nor is it an external cosmic field. Rather, awareness is an interaction between the brain and its environment.

So are you telling me that If someone born deaf-blind-mute he is not aware at all?

If someone is born without any functioning sensory organs, then how can they have any awareness? What are they going to be aware of? How are they going to form short and long-term memories? How are they going to develop a self-identity? Without any sensory data to process, the parts of the brain involved in consciousness would shut down and atrophy due to lack of use and lack of usefulness to the organism.

:?: "Awareness" and "existing" are not synonyms. Corpses and rocks exist, but that doesn't mean that they are aware.

You need to have something to be aware of in order to have awareness.
"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."
- Mark Twain

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:56 pm

sandisk wrote:So are you telling me that If someone born deaf-blind-mute he is not aware at all?

I have evidence, that they have amazing journeys, from that scientific paper by Townsend, Daltry and Entwistle, which has now been put to music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pd5MtncIDs

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:59 pm

out of body travelers are fully conscious , often with expanded awareness....
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

sandisk
Poster

Postby sandisk » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:04 am

Venerable Kwan Tam Woo wrote:
sandisk wrote:
Venerable Kwan Tam Woo wrote: Awareness is not just the brain, nor is it an external cosmic field. Rather, awareness is an interaction between the brain and its environment.

If someone is born without any functioning sensory organs, then how can they have any awareness? What are they going to be aware of? How are they going to form short and long-term memories? How are they going to develop a self-identity? Without any sensory data to process, the parts of the brain involved in consciousness would shut down and atrophy due to lack of use and lack of usefulness to the organism.

:?: "Awareness" and "existing" are not synonyms. Corpses and rocks exist, but that doesn't mean that they are aware.

You need to have something to be aware of in order to have awareness.

yes they need to have something to be conscious of 'something'
but even if they aren't experiencing the objective world, they're still aware. Even aware of nothing, they still aware. A 'rock' simply exist but It is not aware, a rock doesn't have a nervous system and a brain.

Venerable Kwan Tam Woo
Frequent Poster

Postby Venerable Kwan Tam Woo » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:43 am

sandisk wrote:yes they need to have something to be conscious of 'something'
but even if they aren't experiencing the objective world, they're still aware.

No they're not. That's my whole point: awareness is an interactive process which requires objects to be aware of. Awareness itself is not an object, presence or "field".

Even aware of nothing, they still aware.

No they're not. You can be aware of a conception of nothing, but you cannot be aware of nothing - that's like saying you can breathe without air.

A 'rock' simply exist but It is not aware, a rock doesn't have a nervous system and a brain.

A corpse simply exists without being aware, yet a corpse does have a nervous system and a brain.
- Mark Twain

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:42 am

Venerable Kwan Tam Woo wrote: ... A corpse simply exists without being aware, yet a corpse does have a nervous system and a brain.

I don`t buy that. A corpse is no different from a rock - consisting of minerals, moisture, etc. - but does not have a nervous system or brain in a functioning sense.

However - that senses-deviod living being - breathing, heart beating, eating and drinking, digesting, deficating, etc. surely is aware - unless brain dead.

Canadian Skeptic
Regular Poster

Postby Canadian Skeptic » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:59 pm

Venerable Kwan Tam Woo wrote:If someone is born without any functioning sensory organs, then how can they have any awareness? What are they going to be aware of? How are they going to form short and long-term memories? How are they going to develop a self-identity? Without any sensory data to process, the parts of the brain involved in consciousness would shut down and atrophy due to lack of use and lack of usefulness to the organism.

Helen Keller was quite self-aware, though she did at least have sense of touch, among others (she was blind and deaf, and wasn't taught any forms of communication until quite late in life, relatively speaking). Incidentally, humans actually have dozens of different senses beyond the usual 5.

Anyway, there's also the issue of locked-in syndrome, in which people can be conscious but their body has otherwise totally shut down aside from automatic processes. Plenty of cases of individuals who have no or next-to-no sensory input retain fully unhindered consciousness -- cases that we had previously thought these people were fully comatose and therefore incapable of conscious thought, we're starting to find that in at least some cases these individuals exhibit signs of cognitive functioning, including consciousness, when we do brain scans on them.

There are parts of the brain that we can effectively sedate and stop consciousness, and those portions of the brain are not strictly related to the parts of our brain associated with our senses. It may be hard to visualize what it would be like for a conscious person who has *no* sensory input whatsoever, but current models of the brain (that I'm aware of, anyway) do suggest this is possible.

sandisk wrote:I'm discussing with my friend now who is adamant that there is awareness outside of the brain, someone with studies in this area of the brain, could show me any article right now which proves that awareness is only in the brain?

Right now, there is no specific proof that awareness is only in the brain. For all intents and purposes, this is still an open question. Having said that, science doesn't tend to "prove" theories per se. Rather, what we have is a very large body of evidence -- represented by hundreds or thousands of studies -- that all seem to lead to the particular conclusion that consciousness begins and ends in the brain, without any need to posit some external agent.

That doesn't necessarily help you, however, because there's no single study that can possibly do what you ask (at least that I'm aware of; perhaps some meta-study exists out there to at least pull this body of data together into a single location for ease of reference, but I've never seen it). Rather, it's the entire body of evidence that you would have to refer to, and that's not quite as compelling in a face-to-face conversation with someone who disagrees with you (not to mention it would require a Ph.D and many years of research to competently refer to this body of evidence).

From the neuroscientists I have personally spoken to, however, I do get the impression there is general consensus in the scientific community that consciousness is created in and by the brain; no external agents required.
Last edited by Canadian Skeptic on Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:00 pm

Solipsism (Listeni/ˈsɒlᵻpsɪzəm/; from Latin solus, meaning "alone", and ipse, meaning "self")[1] is the philosophical idea that only one's own mind is sure to exist. As an epistemological position, solipsism holds that knowledge of anything outside one's own mind is unsure; the external world and other minds cannot be known and might not exist outside of the mind. As a metaphysical position, solipsism goes further to the conclusion that the world and other minds do not exist.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:01 pm

feeling someone staring from behind you shows how the mind perceives what the brain and eyes don't see...the mind could expand for miles if trained as in remote viewing...

Venerable Kwan Tam Woo
Frequent Poster

Postby Venerable Kwan Tam Woo » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:10 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Venerable Kwan Tam Woo wrote: ... A corpse simply exists without being aware, yet a corpse does have a nervous system and a brain.

I don`t buy that. A corpse is no different from a rock - consisting of minerals, moisture, etc. - but does not have a nervous system or brain in a functioning sense.

Thank you for proving my point.

However - that senses-deviod living being - breathing, heart beating, eating and drinking, digesting, deficating, etc. surely is aware - unless brain dead.

Again, thank you for proving my point.
- Mark Twain

Venerable Kwan Tam Woo
Frequent Poster

Postby Venerable Kwan Tam Woo » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:31 pm

Canadian Skeptic wrote:Helen Keller was quite self-aware, though she did at least have sense of touch, among others (she was blind and deaf, and wasn't taught any forms of communication until quite late in life, relatively speaking).

In other words, Helen Keller had sensory capability. So what relevance does she have to what I've said?

Incidentally, humans actually have dozens of different senses beyond the usual 5.

So what?

Anyway, there's also the issue of locked-in syndrome, in which people can be conscious but their body has otherwise totally shut down aside from automatic processes. Plenty of cases of individuals who have no or next-to-no sensory input retain fully unhindered consciousness -- cases that we had previously thought these people were fully comatose and therefore incapable of conscious thought, we're starting to find that in at least some cases these individuals exhibit signs of cognitive functioning, including consciousness, when we do brain scans on them.

I'm going to let you figure out why the above actually supports my argument rather than undermining it. Hint: focus on the bits I've highlighted in red.

There are parts of the brain that we can effectively sedate and stop consciousness, and those portions of the brain are not strictly related to the parts of our brain associated with our senses.

"Strictly" related?? What is that supposed to mean? Even if you shut down those "not strictly related" portions of the brain, you are still shutting them off from sensory and memory information; that such information might come from or through intermediate organs or brain regions is beside the point.

It may be hard to visualize what it would be like for a conscious person who has *no* sensory input whatsoever, but current models of the brain (that I'm aware of, anyway) do suggest this is possible.

No they don't, for reasons I've already alluded to.

Right now, there is no specific proof that awareness is only in the brain. For all intents and purposes, this is still an open question.

It's not an open question, it's a flawed question from the outset.

From the neuroscientists I have personally spoken to, however, I do get the impression there is general consensus in the scientific community that consciousness is created in and by the brain; no external agents required.

Apart from the external agent known as "the world", that is...
- Mark Twain

Canadian Skeptic
Regular Poster

Postby Canadian Skeptic » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:40 pm

To give an example, in a study of consciousness that specifically tested the difference in consciousness between normal- and lucid-dream states, researchers associated consciousness with certain areas of the brain:

• The right dorsolateral prefrontal cortex (associated with self-assessment)
• Frontopolar regions (responsible for evaluating our own thoughts and feelings)
• Precuneus (linked with self-perception)

It’s worth noting that during a lucid dream state, there is *no* external sensory input. In fact, that, to my knowledge, is one of its defining characteristics.

http://www.mpg.de/5925490/meta-consciousness-brain

Said head researcher, Michael Czisch:

“In a lucid state, however, the activity in certain areas of the cerebral cortex increases markedly within seconds. The involved areas of the cerebral cortex are the right dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, to which commonly the function of self-assessment is attributed, and the frontopolar regions, which are responsible for evaluating our own thoughts and feelings. The precuneus is also especially active, a part of the brain that has long been linked with self-perception.”

The findings confirm earlier studies and have made the neural networks of a conscious mental state visible for the first time.

Our senses, likewise, are associated with other regions of the brain. For example:

- Visual cortex (vision)
- Auditory cortex (hearing)
- Olfactory bulb (smell)
- Orbitofrontal cortex (taste)

Granted, that’s a simplification: few parts of the brain work in isolation, and all these senses integrate multiple parts of the brain simultaneously to perform a given task (e.g., the olfactory bulb actually sends signals to the orbitofrontal cortex, allowing “smell” information to mingle with “taste” information in the brain). Still, this should provide a rough idea about how the brain is, more or less, mapped to regions of specialization.

Similarly, the brain *might* have regions that specialize in “producing” consciousness. An alternative theory is that consciousness emerges as a consequence of all the other activity of the brain working in tandem, and so is not a distinct or reducible element within the brain itself per se, but rather a composite of everything else.

In a blog post, Steven Novella explains of the study:

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/inde ... ciousness/

“One way to approach this question [of consciousness] (really a set of related questions) is to study different mental states – altered states of consciousness. How those differences relate to brain function are likely to tell us something about the contribution of that brain function to full wakeful consciousness; and so on.

This and similar research, however, is all premised on the theory that consciousness (whatever it is) emerges from brain activity. We are beginning to piece together the various contributions to consciousness of the various networks and modules in the brain.”

Sensory input is certainly going to be linked to consciousness in one way or another, though I highly doubt that sensory input is the sui generis -- without which it cannot exist -- of consciousness. Lacking sensory input, I do expect consciousness can still exist, though probably looking more like a dream than wakefulness.

sandisk
Poster

Postby sandisk » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:54 am

Canadian Skeptic wrote:To give an example, in a study of consciousness that specifically tested the difference in consciousness between normal- and lucid-dream states, researchers associated consciousness with certain areas of the brain:

• The right dorsolateral prefrontal cortex (associated with self-assessment)
• Frontopolar regions (responsible for evaluating our own thoughts and feelings)
• Precuneus (linked with self-perception)

It’s worth noting that during a lucid dream state, there is *no* external sensory input. In fact, that, to my knowledge, is one of its defining characteristics.

http://www.mpg.de/5925490/meta-consciousness-brain

Said head researcher, Michael Czisch:

“In a lucid state, however, the activity in certain areas of the cerebral cortex increases markedly within seconds. The involved areas of the cerebral cortex are the right dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, to which commonly the function of self-assessment is attributed, and the frontopolar regions, which are responsible for evaluating our own thoughts and feelings. The precuneus is also especially active, a part of the brain that has long been linked with self-perception.”

The findings confirm earlier studies and have made the neural networks of a conscious mental state visible for the first time.

Our senses, likewise, are associated with other regions of the brain. For example:

- Visual cortex (vision)
- Olfactory bulb (smell)

Granted, that’s a simplification: few parts of the brain work in isolation, and all these senses integrate multiple parts of the brain simultaneously to perform a given task (e.g., the olfactory bulb actually sends signals to the orbitofrontal cortex, allowing “smell” information to mingle with “taste” information in the brain). Still, this should provide a rough idea about how the brain is, more or less, mapped to regions of specialization.

Similarly, the brain *might* have regions that specialize in “producing” consciousness. An alternative theory is that consciousness emerges as a consequence of all the other activity of the brain working in tandem, and so is not a distinct or reducible element within the brain itself per se, but rather a composite of everything else.

In a blog post, Steven Novella explains of the study:

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/inde ... ciousness/

“One way to approach this question [of consciousness] (really a set of related questions) is to study different mental states – altered states of consciousness. How those differences relate to brain function are likely to tell us something about the contribution of that brain function to full wakeful consciousness; and so on.

This and similar research, however, is all premised on the theory that consciousness (whatever it is) emerges from brain activity. We are beginning to piece together the various contributions to consciousness of the various networks and modules in the brain.”

Sensory input is certainly going to be linked to consciousness in one way or another, though I highly doubt that sensory input is the sui generis -- without which it cannot exist -- of consciousness. Lacking sensory input, I do expect consciousness can still exist, though probably looking more like a dream than wakefulness.

"It’s worth noting that during a lucid dream state, there is *no* external sensory input. "
perfect.

and btw, I'm not claiming that "field of awareness" exist outside of the brain, on the contrary. I'm sure that awareness = brain. But I'm sure that awareness doesn't need any external imput

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:25 pm

Perhaps it would be better if the 'field' bit was dumped. It has a lot of connotations, and I don't think any of them can be satisfied.

Venerable Kwan Tam Woo
Frequent Poster

Postby Venerable Kwan Tam Woo » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:58 am

Canadian Skeptic wrote:It’s worth noting that during a lucid dream state, there is *no* external sensory input. In fact, that, to my knowledge, is one of its defining characteristics.

Yes there is external sensory input. Indirectness of sensory input =! non-existence of sensory input.

- Visual cortex (vision)
- Olfactory bulb (smell)

Granted, that’s a simplification: few parts of the brain work in isolation, and all these senses integrate multiple parts of the brain simultaneously to perform a given task (e.g., the olfactory bulb actually sends signals to the orbitofrontal cortex, allowing “smell” information to mingle with “taste” information in the brain).

It's an oversimplification, particularly in a long-term dynamic context.

And where does dream material come from??
- Mark Twain

Venerable Kwan Tam Woo
Frequent Poster

Postby Venerable Kwan Tam Woo » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:01 am

sandisk wrote: I'm sure that awareness = brain.

And I'm sure your wrong, at least if corpses are anything to go by.

Awareness = an (inter)activity of the brain with its sensory environment.

But I'm sure that awareness doesn't need any external input

How so? Cite some examples.
- Mark Twain

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Postby zeuzzz » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:54 pm

TJrandom wrote:

Just a side note, as not really in disagreement with what you are saying, it's pretty rare that a person is aware of their heart rate or breathing - else you'd never get much done, they are more subconscious. As for digestion it's nearly all subconscious. Depending on how spicy your food is.

As for the question in the OP the terms needs to be defined more. It's easy to define a field of awareness in an anthropocentric way (using the McLuhan based definition of technology as extensions of man) as anything that we can become consciously aware of, either directly or due to technology. It also could be applied to any other species in terms of whatever their sensory organs can enable them to become aware of. Dreams and lucid dreams would also fit into our awareness as we are aware of them in the moment when they happen, even if memory transcription is very low.

I think Deepak uses the term field of awareness as a semantic argument mainly. It sounds nice but he wont define it, or if he does it will be in reference to consciousness as I described above.

The quantum bell non locality argument gets complex ... can't be bothered right now. But 98% of what I've heard about it online ends up being semantics.
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:26 pm

zeuzzz wrote:...it's pretty rare that a person is aware of their heart rate or breathing - else you'd never get much done, they are more subconscious.

What? :glare:
#ANDAMOVIE

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Postby zeuzzz » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:54 pm

You don't spend much time thinking about breathing. It's not in your awareness most of the time. You might become aware of it after strenuous exercise, but even then you can largely just be aware of other things and not really focus on it.

Just making the point that awareness is tricky, as even things you assume you are always aware of are often more subconscious things that you rarely directly cognize.
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:07 pm

I spend several minutes spread out over every hour thinking about breathing. Speech is dependent upon conscious control of one's breathing. Working with small instruments on detailed construction requires both control of one's breathing and awareness of the beating of one's heart. There are a lot of times in the day when both breathing and heart rate become important enough to think about.

If you're interested in a sport where breathing and heart rate are very important, look up the biathlon; it's quite fascinating: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1521956
#ANDAMOVIE

Venerable Kwan Tam Woo
Frequent Poster

Postby Venerable Kwan Tam Woo » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:03 am

Sandisk and his friend seem to think that a "field of awareness" means a region of space which is differentiated in some empirically discernible way from the surrounding space by virtue of the "awareness" within/acting upon said region. People like Sandisk's friend typically posit this "field of awareness" to include the entire universe. This position is meaningless because there is literally nothing we can compare the "field of awareness" to in order to understand what it actually is. This position also relies on circular reasoning because it assumes that any part of the universe which exists must, ipso facto, have "awareness" suffusing or underlying it.

We can talk about a "field of awarness" in the sense that Zeuzzz alluded to, i.e. the region of space and/or set of objects of which one is aware at any given time. However, I suspect this interpretation would not be satisfactory to Sandisk's friend...
- Mark Twain

Return to “Brain, Mind, & Consciousness”