The Truth

What you think about how you think.
placid
Regular Poster

The Truth

Postby placid » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:23 pm

Those who tell the truth have no followers.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Re: The Truth

Postby Poodle » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:44 pm

Extracting the truth is the only cure for truthache.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:13 pm

truth is a weird word....Truth never changes, it is you who will change and eventually accept Truth.........wiki----In Hinduism, Truth is defined as "unchangeable", "that which has no distortion", "that which is beyond distinctions of time, space, and person", "that which pervades the universe in all its constancy". The human body, therefore is not completely true as it changes with time, for example.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:17 pm

placid wrote:Those who tell the truth have no followers.

A falsehood perpetuated by liars to comfort themselves while they are lonely.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

placid
Regular Poster

Postby placid » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:39 pm

gorgeous wrote:truth is a weird word....Truth never changes, it is you who will change and eventually accept Truth.........wiki----In Hinduism, Truth is defined as "unchangeable", "that which has no distortion", "that which is beyond distinctions of time, space, and person", "that which pervades the universe in all its constancy". The human body, therefore is not completely true as it changes with time, for example.

Spoken like a true Goddess. :)

placid
Regular Poster

Postby placid » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:41 pm

Lausten wrote:
placid wrote:Those who tell the truth have no followers.

A falsehood perpetuated by liars to comfort themselves while they are lonely.

Truth cannot be defined although defining is truth defining itself.

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Monster » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:04 pm

Poodle wrote:Extracting the truth is the only cure for truthache.

We need the thumbs up button or whatever it was. I can't remember now.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:07 pm

ty placid :D
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:27 pm

If truth cannot be defined, you can't know it when you see it. I'd lose that bit of nonsense if I were you, placid, or else your entire philosophy falls on its arse.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:39 pm

A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

placid
Regular Poster

Postby placid » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:22 pm

Poodle wrote:If truth cannot be defined, you can't know it when you see it. I'd lose that bit of nonsense if I were you, placid, or else your entire philosophy falls on its arse.

You cannot see truth - you can only know it. The main premise of truth is to know you do not know, is is to know you are the known ....therefore you cannot know that known yourself because it is one with the knowing.You cannot know you know as that implies two, divided as the knower of the known. The truth is there is only ''knowing'' not by a someone - but by the knowing - you are that knowing.

Truth cannot be defined except as imagined which is truth defining itself. Truth is truth even if no one believes it. No one can see the truth. You are the truth. Just as no one can see the self because you are the self.The real SELF is the stateless state of being illustrated in the following image.....

This stateless state is the unknowing known truth. It is prior to any thought about itself.
Any thought arising within the unknowing known itself ''becomes'' ''comes into being'' in the form of name, this self is a phantom, it is the mirror image of the original copy which is without self. It is an archetype. The mirror image is not the original copy, it is a replica of the original, it is a phantom, when the phantom self imagines it exists, this is known as duality, duality is an illusion, nondual is real, duality is the illusion it appears to be. The illusion is real to the believer which is just another idea.

Truth is like the proverbial elephant in our collective living room, still unacknowledged, ignored or misunderstood by many people. In reality the truth does not want to be known for one very good reason.

placid
Regular Poster

Postby placid » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:33 pm

Everything you or apparent others have ever figured out already existed as an idea, else the idea could not have been shaped or formed.

The now of 3,000 years ago is the same now as now.

placid
Regular Poster

Postby placid » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:47 pm

Lausten wrote:A falsehood perpetuated by liars to comfort themselves while they are lonely.

Only ignorance of what the SELF is..... would make a comment like that.
A lie is just a great story that someone ruined with the truth.

The ONE SELF all ONE is Everything. If you own everything how could you be lonely. Only the imagined separate 'me' is lonely, the separate self is isolation, it says this is ''mine'' and this is ''yours''

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:57 pm

Jack Nicholson told me in a movie that I can't handle the truth.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

placid
Regular Poster

Postby placid » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:58 pm

Pyrrho wrote:Jack Nicholson told me in a movie that I can't handle the truth.

"A man must first of all understand certain things. He has thousands of false ideas and false conceptions, chiefly about himself, and he must get rid of some of them before beginning to acquire anything new. Otherwise the new will be built on a wrong foundation and the result will be worse than before. To speak the truth is the most difficult thing in the world; one must study a great deal and for a long time in order to speak the truth. The wish alone is not enough. To speak the truth one must know what the truth is and what a lie is, and first of all in oneself. And this nobody wants to know."
- G.I. Gurdjieff

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:12 pm

Yes, well, I tend not to deal in absolutes. I don't think that "What is truth?" is necessarily a binary question.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

placid
Regular Poster

Postby placid » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:38 pm

Pyrrho wrote:Yes, well, I tend not to deal in absolutes. I don't think that "What is truth?" is necessarily a binary question.

The absolute truth is the one question to all our answers. It's a binary question in and of itself.

"Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers."

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:32 am

placid wrote:

Everything you or apparent others have ever figured out already existed as an idea, else the idea could not have been shaped or formed.

Then why have the idea of truth?

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:04 pm

All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed; Second, it is violently opposed; and Third, it is accepted as self-evident.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:25 pm

gorgeous wrote:All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed; Second, it is violently opposed; and Third, it is accepted as self-evident.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

That's true about truth. Falsehoods get ridiculed, repackaged then ridiculed over and over again.

mirror93
Poster

Postby mirror93 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:37 pm

placid wrote:
Poodle wrote:If truth cannot be defined, you can't know it when you see it. I'd lose that bit of nonsense if I were you, placid, or else your entire philosophy falls on its arse.

You cannot see truth - you can only know it. The main premise of truth is to know you do not know, is is to know you are the known ....therefore you cannot know that known yourself because it is one with the knowing.You cannot know you know as that implies two, divided as the knower of the known. The truth is there is only ''knowing'' not by a someone - but by the knowing - you are that knowing.

Truth cannot be defined except as imagined which is truth defining itself. Truth is truth even if no one believes it. No one can see the truth. You are the truth. Just as no one can see the self because you are the self.The real SELF is the stateless state of being illustrated in the following image.....

This stateless state is the unknowing known truth. It is prior to any thought about itself.
Any thought arising within the unknowing known itself ''becomes'' ''comes into being'' in the form of name, this self is a phantom, it is the mirror image of the original copy which is without self. It is an archetype. The mirror image is not the original copy, it is a replica of the original, it is a phantom, when the phantom self imagines it exists, this is known as duality, duality is an illusion, nondual is real, duality is the illusion it appears to be. The illusion is real to the believer which is just another idea.

Truth is like the proverbial elephant in our collective living room, still unacknowledged, ignored or misunderstood by many people. In reality the truth does not want to be known for one very good reason.

Does anyone believe this bs?
Last edited by mirror93 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:43 pm

Placid pretends she believes it. In reality, it makes her entire philosophy fall flat on its face. Basically, truth cannot be defined unless it's defined by Placid.

mirror93
Poster

Postby mirror93 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:53 pm

Poodle wrote:Placid pretends she believes it. In reality, it makes her entire philosophy fall flat on its face. Basically, truth cannot be defined unless it's defined by Placid.

nailed it

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:25 am

mirror93 wrote:
placid wrote:
Does anyone believe this bs?

https://youtu.be/W2OQGfjeH1U
https://youtu.be/mSfNvTVEALw
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Dimebag
Regular Poster

Postby Dimebag » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:54 am

This topic reminds me of a podcast by Sam Harris with psychologist Jordan B Peterson, in which they discussed the "nature of truth", and it seemed Jordan had a totally different idea of what "truth" actually is. What Jordan seemed to define truth as was, something is deemed to be true, if it aids in the survival of the entity for which it relates. This definition was incredibly flaky, and lead to the two of them butting heads for two hours over this idea. What Harris seemed to define truth as, was more something like an empirical fact. For that reason, truth could change in some sense over time, due to the scientific method either overthrowing ideas and hypotheses.

This is something we need to come to terms with. The truth value of certain empirical facts is likely to change over time, as our methods improve. For instance, it was once thought the world was flat, then a sphere, and now more a flattened sphere. At the time each of those views were held, each view was "true" in the sense that, based off of currently available methods of gathering and interpreting data, the validity of those views held true based on the available data and methods available at the time.

In this sense, what is true, or what we deem to be true is a fluid thing. We need to be open to the possibility that our currently held views are incorrect in light of updated evidence. Obviously extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, so it is not so easy to shift more well established views deemed true, but certain claims which exist on the frontier of knowledge should be treated with a sense of apprehension, until they stand the test of time.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:11 am

Spot on, Dimebag. The skeptic should always be prepared to change his/her opinion based on new verifiable evidence from reputable sources. And "new truths" must be examined in light of the nature of the evidence supporting them.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:21 am

placid wrote:
Poodle wrote:Truth cannot be defined except as imagined which is truth defining itself. Truth is truth even if no one believes it.

If the first sentence is true, then the second sentence is misleading at best.

"You can't define this! It's blue!"
"So you're saying 'blue' is a defining feature of it."
"Yes but you can't define it!"
"Maybe you should limit yourself to one sentence at a time."
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 am

I NEVER said that!!!!!!!!!
(I may have said the last bit, but definitely not the first bit).

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:07 pm

Don't care. Blaming you. You and Hillary.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Confidencia
Poster

Postby Confidencia » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:33 pm

Lausten wrote:
placid wrote:

Then why have the idea of truth?

Because you like the idea over truth.

placid
Regular Poster

Postby placid » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:38 pm

No one knows the truth, and that not knowing is the only truth.

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Monster » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:05 pm

placid wrote:No one knows the truth, and that not knowing is the only truth.

Whoa, that is DEEP, bra! I mean Mariana Trench deep! Mind blown deep! Whoo wee!

Actually, if no one knows the truth, but people are capable of knowing that they don't know, and not knowing is the only truth, then...

I don't know the truth and the truth is not knowing, so I must know the truth, but no one knows the truth, and the truth is not knowing, and not knowing the truth is knowing the truth but I don't know it...

KABLOOEY!

My mind asplode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:36 pm

I think you perfectly figured her out. Asploding and splattering the bits everywhere it can reach...

Lard, save me from your followers.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:26 pm

placid wrote:No one knows the truth, and that not knowing is the only truth.

Y'know what? You've finally said something I agree with. It's probably not for the same reasons you wrote it, but at least we've found a nice sentence that makes sense.
#ANDAMOVIE

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:50 pm

A few thousand monkeys typing for only a few years could have done the same thing.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:27 pm

It only took one monkey.
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:52 pm

:lol:

Lard, save me from your followers.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:38 am

I really need this emoji: "spit take at the computer monitor, then hysterical laughter."

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:35 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:I really need this emoji: "spit take at the computer monitor, then hysterical laughter."

:bag: (It's happening inside the bag.)
#ANDAMOVIE

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:02 pm

:laff: :good:

Return to “Brain, Mind, & Consciousness”