No One has ever seen a Self

What you think about how you think.
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: No One has ever seen a Self

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:28 pm

Gord wrote:Why are we attracting so many nutjobs these days?

Dunno, Image. Someone left the outhouse light on?

(Almost every short post by Gord cracks me up now. :lol:)
Hi, Io the lurker.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:07 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:You make us laugh by pretending you don't care and have "no self", and then, blatantly, with conventional psychological compulsion, you keep posting here and insist we read your posts. It is as though you want us to laugh at you and your contradictory philosophy. Is that what is going on?
placid wrote:Posting on a forum happens,
That's right. You chose to sit down at a computer and you, yourself, decided to make another post. It is standard scientific psychology. You are compelled to keep posting because you are desperate to prove to yourself that you exist to other people.

I have a better plan for you. Go to the local shop and buy a "selfie stick". Take a photo of yourself and that way you are no longer compelled to keep bothering skeptics on a science forum.
:D
images (4).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:12 am

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:32 am

Buddha 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:41 am

Gord wrote:Why are we attracting so many nutjobs these days?
More precisely, why are we getting so many hippy Buddhists from the UK? I don't know. I imagine the word "skeptic" is doing the rounds of Buddhist internal forums and communications, with a totally wrong interpreted meaning, Clarifyit4me aka Shaka and Placid think they are talking to people interested in Skeptical Buddhism.

We should get Norma Supervitor to instruct Placid on what a "real skeptic" is and slowly move both of them onto another forum, while they aren't looking.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:04 am

Poodle wrote:Image

:lol:
Hi, Io the lurker.

placid
Regular Poster

Postby placid » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:42 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
I have a better plan for you. Go to the local shop and buy a "selfie stick". Take a photo of yourself and that way you are no longer compelled to keep bothering skeptics on a science forum.

You could try ignoring my threads, then no one would be getting bothered, but instead you choose to reply, because you love the drama. You love drawing attention to yourself, ever feeding your imagined ego/self, I guess it does give one a sense of purpose though :roll:

placid
Regular Poster

Postby placid » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:51 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote: Clarifyit4me aka Shaka and Placid think they are talking to people interested in Skeptical Buddhism.

Avatar placid couldn't give a stuff whether people are interested in nonduality or not. These posts are just appearing here because that's what is happening.... black squiggly marks showing up on a computer screen being read by awareness, interpreted by the body mind computer processor projected out-there as imaged.

All appearing much like the other posts are throughout the whole spectrum of the forum. It's just one of those things that happen sometimes, it's a phenomena, no one knows why or how it happens or who's doing it, only that it does.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:59 pm

Did someone say avatar? I have one just for you, placid.
Hi, Io the lurker.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:05 pm

placid wrote:Bye the way...have you ever seen this video, it might explain a few things better than I can.

Jill Bolte Taylor's stroke of insight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyyjU8fzEYU

Jill is a neurological scientist which came in very handy, and why she wasn't afraid of what was happening to her.

------------------good video, I enjoyed it, funny, too....She found out she is a part of All that Is...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

placid
Regular Poster

Postby placid » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:08 pm

gorgeous wrote:
placid wrote:Bye the way...have you ever seen this video, it might explain a few things better than I can.

Jill is a neurological scientist which came in very handy, and why she wasn't afraid of what was happening to her.

------------------good video, I enjoyed it, funny, too....She found out she is a part of All that Is...

All that is was and ever will be, including petulant pets. ;)

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:10 am

placid wrote: Avatar placid couldn't give a stuff whether people are interested in nonduality or not.

The real evidence is that Avatar Placid is compelled to log onto this science forum and start endless new threads about duality, because Placid is lonely and has no friends on the farm.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:53 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
placid wrote: Avatar placid couldn't give a stuff whether people are interested in nonduality or not.

The real evidence is that Avatar Placid is compelled to log onto this science forum and start endless new threads about duality, because Placid is lonely and has no friends on the farm.

Pages upon pages of people and stuff about "nonduality" here. Just type it in the search. "Advaita" produces a nice crop, too.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:07 am

scrmbldggs wrote: Pages upon pages of people and stuff about "nonduality" here. Just type it in the search. "Advaita" produces a nice crop, too.

Thank you for that link. It gives insight into Placid's trolling behaviour. It is simply ego based and he keeps contradicting himself, because he is a mere novice, who is making stuff up as he goes.

A pitfall for some who are exposed to Nonduality It has been observed by many who share the Timeless Message al all being one essence, one love, one being appearing as this multidimensional dream of "me in the universe" that a common pitfall comes and the false sense of ego self comes back in the back door to claim "I GOT IT" and "I will teach it to you!" This is a manifest lie and an expression out of a bankrupt paradigm of "guru-disciple" that has been propagated by false teachers since this so called dream began.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:27 am

You gotta love the latest twist, the "nothing changes". Well, nothing noticeable changes, but you will know not knowing. ;)
Hi, Io the lurker.

placid
Regular Poster

Postby placid » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:09 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Pages upon pages of people and stuff about "nonduality" here. Just type it in the search. "Advaita" produces a nice crop, too.

Contempt prior to investigation is the mind of a fool.
The mind separates reality into 'this' and 'that',.... 'there' and 'here'.

"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth.' and so it goes away. Puzzling."

"New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled, the humiliating question arises, 'Why then are you not taking part in them?' " - H. G. Wells

"Research is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought."

placid
Regular Poster

Postby placid » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:16 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote: Pages upon pages of people and stuff about "nonduality" here. Just type it in the search. "Advaita" produces a nice crop, too.

Thank you for that link. It gives insight into Placid's trolling behaviour. It is simply ego based and he keeps contradicting himself, because he is a mere novice, who is making stuff up as he goes.

Every thing is ego based, there is nothing else.

"I GOT IT"

You get it when you realise there is nothing to get.

And.

The 'I' does not get it. IT gets you...there is a subtle and very important difference.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:03 pm

placid wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:

<A whole lot of preconceived nonsense.>

You've got to get off your shining new hobby horse and stop believing you're telling me/us anything new.

The garbage you are spewing here can't even grow mold anymore. It has already fossilized.
Hi, Io the lurker.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Re: No one has ever seen an "Enlightened One"

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:22 pm

Spoken as if to someone in particular but actually for anyone else interested:

There are a whole lotta people who work with the likes of you when they find themselves crushed under the ruins of what once was their life.

But while you're in it, it's often no use talking to you. You've got to want and reach out for the help you seek for it to have any effect.

Until then, you're "brain dead".
Hi, Io the lurker.

placid
Regular Poster

Postby placid » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:59 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
placid wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:

<A whole lot of preconceived nonsense.>

You've got to get off your shining new hobby horse and stop believing you're telling me/us anything new.

The garbage you are spewing here can't even grow mold anymore. It has already fossilized.

That's right, nothing new under the sun, everything is fossilized for our amusement only. You are permanently on show in the museum of life, welcome to the zombie jamboree. Life is just another word for Death, they just differ in appearance.

Not trying to show you anything new, I'm just regurgitating the cud like everyone else because I can and I do.
But not the imagined I doing and chewing, but the chewing and doing done. :mrgreen:

And the hilarious thing is, you mock me for spewing garbage when you yourself as a skeptic question the validity or authenticity of something that has been fossilised. :lol: how weird.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:04 pm

Edited: Initial response redacted.

You get to do whatever you wish with your life. You do not get to promote your nonsense here without being challenged.
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, Io the lurker.

placid
Regular Poster

Postby placid » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:05 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Spoken as if to someone in particular but actually for anyone else interested:

There are a whole lotta people who work with the likes of you when they find themselves crushed under the ruins of what once was their life.

But while you're in it, it's often no use talking to you. You've got to want and reach out for the help you seek for it to have any effect.

I've never personally experienced this knowledge. But having read this here now, I genuinely wish you a speedy recovery from this deluded false belief you hold about yourself.

placid
Regular Poster

Postby placid » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:07 pm

Skeptic person:
No one has ever seen an "Enlightened One"

There is no such thing as Enlightenment.

that is known as Enlightenment.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:08 pm

placid wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:Spoken as if to someone in particular but actually for anyone else interested:

I've never personally experienced this knowledge. But having read this here now, I genuinely wish you a speedy recovery from this deluded false belief you hold about yourself.

Seems you've lived in the dark until now - and nothing changed.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:16 pm

placid wrote:
Skeptic person:

There is no such thing as BS ... that is known as BS. There is no such thing as self-deception ... that is known as self-deception. There is no such thing as (add appropriate word here). Formulaic deadhead crap.
Last edited by Poodle on Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

placid
Regular Poster

Postby placid » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:16 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:

You get to do whatever you wish with your life. You do not get to promote your nonsense here without being challenged.
"As long as we do science, some things will always remain unexplained."

And that is why we keep throwing the ball back and forth to one another :lol:

Your throw....

placid
Regular Poster

Postby placid » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:20 pm

Poodle wrote:
placid wrote:
Skeptic person:

There is no such thing as BS ... that is known as BS. There is no such thing as self-deception ... that is known as self-deception. There is no such thing as (add appropriate word here). Formulaic deadhead crap.

When something is known, it is not it. Do your 'IT' homework....

In the meantime, your entitled to your opinion, opinions are like arse holes, we've all got one and they all stink.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:23 pm

Reversion to 'arse' and 'stink' comments, Your Honour.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Re: No one has ever realized "Liberation"

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:27 pm

...all you might have achieved (or suffered, depends on how you look at it) might be a change in your actual physical brain and its functions.

That did NOT change anything else. It made nothing real that wasn't real before. It does NOT absolve from responsibility.

It does not help those you might abandon or neglect or upset in any other way. Or try to talk out of living a normal live.

It does not "get you anywhere else". It only seems that way for time being...

FWIW, I hope you'll not drown in your mental and verbal diarrhea, scatlady.

WWES?
Hi, Io the lurker.

placid
Regular Poster

Re: No one has ever realized "Liberation"

Postby placid » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:37 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
It does not "get you anywhere else". It only seems that way for time being...

That's right, The SELF is never not here.

placid
Regular Poster

Postby placid » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:52 pm

placid wrote:
When something is known, it is not it. Do your 'IT' homework....

What does this mean.... ? It means you cannot know what you already are, you cannot know what you ARE -YOU ARE THE KNOWN

Water does not know it is wet, so how can a person know it is wet?
Only that which is a subjective intangible feeling knows it is wet..... a feeling is not a person who thinks it knows, the person is also a feeling.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:26 am

placid wrote:
gorgeous wrote:

All that is was and ever will be, including petulant pets. ;)

Amazing. That is, that placid and gorgeous can watch this talk and get nothing except confirmation of their existing bias. It was life altering for me to get such insight into brain function from someone who both studied the brain and experienced a profound shift of it's function. Here's what she says,
Jill Bolte Taylor wrote:I had the perception that I was at one with all that is: I am blended with all of the atoms and molecules beyond me. I had no information per se going on in my mind, because the brain chatter was gone, so there was this absolute silence. People talk about the stillness. For me it wasn’t really still because atoms and molecules—everything is in motion. But it is quiet, perfectly quiet. Everything is just blending and moving.

We have a group of cells inside our brain that tell us we are solid. Okay, I’m a solid. But for eight years I did not exist as a solid; I existed as a fluid entity in a fluid environment. When I lost that perception of “solid” and that defined boundary of my body, I became a perception of “fluid,” at one with all that is. That is a very different way of perceiving yourself in relationship to your external world. This was a marvelous experience—to be that enormous in the absence of the distraction of language that has to label everything in my world. Its absence put me in a position to simply experience the energy dynamic of all the particles around me, and it was a beautiful experience.

Note how she uses words like "experience". She says, "Okay, I'm a solid." But her experience was fluid. Obviously there were people around her for those 8 years and everyone saw that she was solid, no one scooped out a ladle of her. Sure it was beautiful, and it is difficult for us to experience since both sides of our brain are active, but don't forget that she was unable to use language, she couldn't handle numbers, it took her years to get back those simple abilities. We can't just turn off parts of our brain and maintain all of our normal functions.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:37 am

There are people without 'normal ' functions including her during those years, and I bet she wouldn't change it one bit....there are people without fully functioning brains that are happy and joyful everyday....that have talents that no one can explain, like savants and others....disturbing only to those who see themselves as nothing more than a collection of neuro-transmitters....
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:27 am

There are people with only one leg. There is no suggestion that this is a mystical state of existence.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:06 pm

Poodle wrote:There are people with only one leg. There is no suggestion that this is a mystical state of existence.

Ah, but you're forgetting the reinc... meh, I'll let gorgous here fill you in on why some people have the same or similar - OMG! A.ma.zing!!! - physical features as some other, long dead, ones. :-P

(Don't you know, gorgeous once was Cleopatra! Sally Smith's tabby cat that was a good mouser.)
Hi, Io the lurker.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:09 pm

people know when they have a mystical experience...

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:19 pm

I know. zeuzzz and friends are very enchanted with their trips.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:28 pm

gorgeous wrote:There are people without 'normal ' functions including her during those years, and I bet she wouldn't change it one bit....there are people without fully functioning brains that are happy and joyful everyday....that have talents that no one can explain, like savants and others....disturbing only to those who see themselves as nothing more than a collection of neuro-transmitters....

Do you realize how insane that is? You're saying she would choose to have that stroke if she had the choice and be dependent on others for daily functions for years. There's a big difference between being happy with who you are and choosing to not be fully functioning. If you need to remove some ability of your's to appreciate this world, that's a problem with you.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:53 pm

It was an amazing experience for her...it transcended this world , made her aware of the greater reality...-------yes , the question, would people choose suffering?----in nde's some have seen souls preparing to reincarnate in classes being given the option of a disabled body--the experience would erase a great portion of their negative karma and lessen their need to reincarnate again so often..........-----------seth--------"-Some of you may find yourselves concentrating upon the physical aspects
of existence, which are themselves quite legitimate, but to the exclusion
of other important elements. In larger terms, such focusing in
particular areas can involve an entire life situation, reincarnationally
speaking, where you choose ahead of time, so to speak, to concentrate
your attention in certain areas rather than others; you may pick for yourself
a body that does not perform normally, or a mind that is not up to
par in usual terms.
Your given situation at birth, therefore, is one in which you cannot
manipulate adequately in whatever way you have chosen. If you have
decided upon a situation in which a critical organic lack or disability is
involved, and are born with a severe disease, for example, then that is
the context in which you will experience this particular focus in corporeal
reality. There will be a reason for it, and that reason will lie in
those abilities that you have left free and open for yourself to pursue.----------------If
it involves a circumstance that cannot be altered in physical terms, then
you have settled upon it as a framework in order to enhance and use
other abilities in concentrated form. The main point is not to concentrate
upon the liabilities but to pursue those abilities that you have, for the
great energies of your personality will be directed in those avenues.---------------From the outside it seems impossible that
anyone would choose such a background, such a highly restricted or
even painful situation in which to live. From that viewpoint birth defects,
or lifetime diseases of any kind, make no sense.
No one begins a race with a handicap, you may say, but that is obviously
not the case. Individuals have often chosen such situations precisely
as incentives, and many great men have done so. This does not
mean that such disabilities are necessary. At any point that an individual
realizes his point of power in the present, he will not need a barrier to
test himself against, or to focus him in what he thinks of as the proper
direction.
You live many lives simultaneously.--------------In your terms, birth defects of whatever kind are chosen before this
life. This is done for many different reasons (just as people choose to be ill in this life, regardless of the duration involved). That is, a certain
psychic framework is set up through which an individual decides "ahead
of time" to experience an entire life situation. Some information on this
has been given in my other writings.*
A person with several existences stressing intellectual achievement
might purposely then decide upon a life in which mental abilities are
beyond him, and the emotions allowed a full play that he had denied
them "earlier."
(9:54.) Since all existences are simultaneous, this simply means his
stressing certain aspects in this life — at the expense of others, you
would say — and setting up a frame of reference that may seem to be
limiting. On the other hand the personality involved may see this as a
most rewarding and expansive experience, in which the emotions are
allowed freedoms ordinarily denied.----------------In many cases it is the family, rather than the incapacitated member,
who questions and does not understand — as in cases of severely
mentally retarded children, for example. Yet in all instances not only do
children choose their parents ahead of time, but parents choose their
children, of course.
In such a situation, there are fulfillments to be gained from the parents'
standpoints. There are always opportunities of growth and unusual
creativity possible under those conditions for all involved. That is why
the framework was chosen. The same applies to seeming tragedies such
as accidents, or severe illnesses that come at any time.----------------Often the
successful activity represents a challenge on the part of the personality
who set it in terms of psychological creativity, and the overall enrichment
of experience. Those involved, such as family, will have
acquiesced to the situation "earlier." Often, particularly in the case of
mental or physical birth defects, the incapacitated person will be accepting
that role not only because of personal reasons; he or she will also
be choosing that part for the family as a whole.
Highly intelligent parents, therefore, may find themselves with a retarded
child. If they place a great value upon intellect at the expense of
the emotions, then the child may be acting out for them the emotional
spontaneity of which they are so afraid themselves.----------------------Some artists with
great ability may shut out intellectual maturity, utilizing native emotional
qualities to such an extent and with such intensity that the mental reasoning
faculties are largely shunted aside. (Pause.) Without rational illumination,
the emotional elements may be so unwieldy that the artist,
for all of his spontaneous expression, cannot relate in any kind of permanent
situation of an intimate nature. For reason and emotion are natural
counterparts.
Someone else may choose to focus upon intellectual achievement to
such a degree that he shuts out all true closeness, and though he can
accept a permanent relationship, he will not experience the emotional
richness that others may derive from a much briefer encounter. Therefore
each of you choose — ahead of time, in your terms — the kind of
framework through which you will contend with this life situation. "

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:30 pm

Your cut and paste technique is slipping again, gorgeous.

Return to “Brain, Mind, & Consciousness”