TED talk on Mother Ayahuasca

What you think about how you think.
digress
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: doomer

TED talk on Mother Ayahuasca

Postby digress » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:39 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxvQusr9cwc

I don't know who TED Talk is but it is most important to not linger on this fact and to simply listen to the argument he is presenting, as I've seen countless topics unjustly dissected using this method of - analyze the individual and not the message.

With that said I posted this for two reasons. First, at about 4:48 of the video, the speaker is discussing how the shamanistic tribes claim connection to a spirit entity after ingesting this intoxicant and he goes on to say how he doesn't know or support if this entity exists. However, it's interesting to pin that note and to go on and to further listen to this speakers use of language as he continually refers to the psychadelic brew as "mother" brew or - "Mother Iowaska". Iowaska being the entity these shamans believe in. And how tempting it is all throughout the rest of this presentation to denounce the speaker as believing in "Mother Iowaska" simply in his use of speech to relay his message of altered consciousness. I found his choice of speech to be a reflection on myself and how it triggers inside me an anxiety to want to denounce his speech as phony, wishful, silly etc, as he related to "Mother Iowaska". And how easily I could be influenced to believe in "Mother Iowaska's" existence based on this speakers choice of speech, despite he not supporting the claim, and if I had been more susceptible to it. And I find that to be very interesting.

The second reason I posted was because IDK if this has been posted before, and although I can't say I agree with much of it, I still enjoyed what this speaker had to say, and simply wanted to share for any possible discussion.

Enjoy :)
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: TED talk on Mother Ayahuasca

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:37 pm

Yo, Momma. There seem to have been some signs of early use of such agents related to much of what the world now calls religion. Some revel-ation about the "burning bush" referring to a plant used to that end...

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:54 pm

digress: can you rephrase just what you find interesting in the video...... or what it is you think is worthy of discussion? I can take the nub in about 3 main different ways, all of which may not be your way.

I also wonder what you mean when you say you disagree with much of it but find the presentation interesting none the less. This provides no guidance/theme/point/analysis at all. "Usually" to be interesting a presentation has to provide something new or something persuasive.

If it is simply that under drugs people gain a different view of the world..................... well........ yeah..... "like its a drug, Man!" My view of the world changes when I get thirsty or need to go to the bathroom. Know what I mean?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Wild animal

Postby Gord » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:12 am

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Wild animal

Postby Gord » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:00 am

And let us not forget DED talks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wjoo90gPD0
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

digress
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: doomer

Postby digress » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:03 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:digress: can you rephrase just what you find interesting in the video

sure, watch the video, listen to his choice of words as he relates to his experience with a drink. he sounds like a believer to a greater entity yet states early on he doesnt support this claim. i said i found this interesting because despite him saying early on he didnt support claims of a goddess, meaning i knew this wasn't the case going in, still, his continual reference to meeting a goddess during his trip continually triggered a feeling in me that he was lying.

this is interesting because, in a topic about consciousness, about a video discussing consciousness, and the amplitude outside agents 'reveal' about how little we know of our selves, i was able to learn something interesting about my own consciousness in a sober state just by paying attention to the speakers poor choice in words to relay his story. (because it makes him sound like a believer perpetuating the existence of supernatural entities)
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg

Return to “Brain, Mind, & Consciousness”