Religious criminals

God, the FSM, and everything else.
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Religious criminals

Postby Lance Kennedy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:42 pm

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la ... story.html

It is interesting to note that religiosity correlates directly with criminality. The most religious states in the USA have the highest murder rates. The most religious nations in the world have the highest crime rates, and especially violent crime.

The reason for this correlation is indirect. Basically, when education levels and general sophistication rise, crime falls. At the same time, that rise leads to a surge in atheism. So there is an indirect cause and effect link between religious non belief and low crime rates.

Atheists rejoice ! You are the best of all people.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Re: Religious criminals

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:55 pm

And criminality is not just about murder, it runs the whole gamut from infidelity to child abuse and so forth. Love that concomitant casual relationship.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:18 pm

I would bet that socio-economic conditions are a factor as well. When education levels rise, poverty drops, both because people can get better jobs and because they tend to vote in favor of social welfare. That last...I wonder if atheists tend to be more humanist, rather than drawing lines based on commonality of religion, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, etc.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:27 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:..I wonder if atheists tend to be more humanist, rather than drawing lines based on commonality of religion, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, etc.

But of course.... and an excellent recognition. Every "notion" that marks people as different (practically every notion humans have) draws lines. Its our core nature. Gonna take lots of time to breed it out.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:52 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:I would bet that socio-economic conditions are a factor as well. When education levels rise, poverty drops, both because people can get better jobs and because they tend to vote in favor of social welfare. That last...I wonder if atheists tend to be more humanist, rather than drawing lines based on commonality of religion, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, etc.

I think it more likely the other way around - that humanists tend more to be atheistic. It seems to me that the education and socialization that leads to humanism may also motivate a rejection of the us/them lines religions draw, followed by a rejection of religion.

There is no shortage of douchebag atheists, suggesting they came to atheism by a different pathway.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:12 pm

Oleg: fair enough. One general argument against another. Define = Count = See if facts actually help.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:26 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Oleg: fair enough. One general argument against another. Define = Count = See if facts actually help.

I don't know if numbers would help much. It is the social process that leads to religiosity/atheism/acceptance of authority/acceptance of social pressure. What causes what, in other words. We can correlate until baboons milk buffaloes, but that won't give is the causes.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:28 pm

I think the thread regarding what the value/use of correlations is has only just finished. What causes what is always interesting and when it comes to hoomans....no reason each element can't cause the other what with all the other variables that apply. Of note: it all assumes that humanism and atheism is more Christian than his church.

THAT can cause tears of laughter or pain......again: hooman nature.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:36 pm

I believe that American surveys have shown that atheists are the least trusted people. Yet the data shows that they should be the most trusted. A bit more skepticism and rational thinking is needed.

Of course, that is the antithesis of faith based religion.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:04 am

You mean "declared" atheists and probably "liked" more often than trusted?

Atheism built everything we see, use, and assume. Sparked by religious types exploring the mystery of God..... but it evolved rapidly when God showed his displeasure at such curiosity.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:29 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Atheists rejoice ! You are the best of all people.

Meh. More like apathy.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:39 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:I believe that American surveys have shown that atheists are the least trusted people.

That's because yer morality/ethics and humanitarian tendencies mean nothing if you don't accept and declare they "come from god".

Yet the data shows that they should be the most trusted. A bit more skepticism and rational thinking is needed.

Of course, that is the antithesis of faith based religion.

Thinking and "leaning on your own understanding" is anathema to those who would want to make a living off your dependency.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Return to “Belief, Nonbelief, and Philosophy”