Why can't everyone think logically?

God, the FSM, and everything else.
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Why can't everyone think logically?

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:10 pm

gorgeous wrote:some have experiences and intuition...

Intuition isn't logic, it is a jumping to conclusion based on imperfect data and hidden (unchecked) assumptions. Sometimes it is correct; often it is wrong.

But, it is quick, which may be a good thing when something goes bump in the night.

"It is better to do the wrong thing quickly, than to take too long to do the right thing." - Napoleon Bonaparte
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

digress
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: doomer

Postby digress » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:17 am

How does one think logically when ones mind is tempting a different direction?
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:15 am

JonDonnis wrote:Brexit is a great example of people unable to think logically.

The same can be said of every political position.

Somewhere along the line, every political position includes a premise (or value judgment) that is not arrived at through logic.

speedyj1992

Postby speedyj1992 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:30 am

You guys are right, it's really hard to be logical with our existence and purpose. In many ways, it's not logical - as a Christian, I can say that I've seen non-Christians and Christians alike try and fail to be logical about it. Heck, you could argue logic is not possible here because what "logic" is could be defined differently, BUT I won't go there - instead, here is a video I did on the message of the gospel, which I don't think everyone has really heard:

https://youtu.be/ZqV3WgMSwTM

I hope this adds to some clarity and gets some positive thought going.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:37 am

You guys are right, it's really hard to be logical with our existence and purpose. /// Logic is a system within its self. Nothing to do with our existence and we have no purpose.

In many ways, it's not logical /// "what" is not logical?.....aka: what is the unstated antecedent?

- as a Christian, I can say that I've seen non-Christians and Christians alike try and fail to be logical about it. /// Again...what is "it?"

Heck, you could argue logic is not possible here because what "logic" is could be defined differently, /// buy a dictionary.

BUT I won't go there - instead, here is a video I did on the message of the gospel, which I don't think everyone has really heard: //// Ha, ha...........very logical if your purpose is PRIDE.......OR greed?

I hope this adds to some clarity and gets some positive thought going./// It will for me, cause I'm not going there.....encourage me otherwise: if I really hear your video....what conclusion should I draw?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:54 pm

Logically, this thread is {!#%@}.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:19 pm

speedyj1992 wrote:You guys are right, it's really hard to be logical with our existence and purpose.

We don't have a purpose. We are simply one of millions of creatures that evolved on Earth because DNA has all these different configurations and humans were one of the current successful versions. :D

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:50 pm

speedyj1992 wrote:You guys are right
This is where the post should have ended...not with a bang, but a whimper.

speedyj1992 wrote:it's really hard to be logical with about our existence and purpose.
"Prepositions are hard." — bobbo_the_pragmatist

What purpose? Other than survival and reproduction, which are built-in.

speedyj1992 wrote:as a Christian, I can say that I've seen non-Christians and Christians alike try and fail to be logical about it.
There is no logic to Christianity. There's only blind faith, which logic eschews.

speedyj1992 wrote:Heck, you could argue logic is not possible here
No, I couldn't. This is the Skeptics' Forum.

speedyj1992 wrote:because what "logic" is could be defined differently
Only if you have a self-defeating thirst to be misunderstood.

speedyj1992 wrote:here is a video I did on the message of the gospel, which I don't think everyone has really heard:
https://youtu.be/ZqV3WgMSwTM
I'm willing to bet that no one in this forum has heard your video. Or seen it.

speedyj1992 wrote:I hope this adds to some clarity and gets some positive thought going.
On the contrary, your post was filled with confusion because you've made an erroneous assumption that we're interested in your religion. Please go proselytize elsewhere. I suggest Abdul's official religion shitpost thread, which might, at least, be amusing.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Dimebag
Regular Poster

Postby Dimebag » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:29 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
speedyj1992 wrote:You guys are right, it's really hard to be logical with our existence and purpose.

We don't have a purpose. We are simply one of millions of creatures that evolved on Earth because DNA has all these different configurations and humans were one of the current successful versions. :D

Maybe not, however as individuals we have goals and motivations, which provide some purpose. In some sense we are goal seeking machines, as when we attain a Goal, or one slips out of reach we search for new ones. We "need" goals in our life to motivate us to act. Action as a purpose in itself is not motivating. We need to achieve something, some end, or there is no reason for any means. Maybe life provides us with those ends and they are thrust upon us, or maybe those ends are already part of our nature, and therefore fall out accordingly. In a way, western society provides us with basic ends, by having an economy we are required to work for our most basic survival needs of food and shelter, then beyond that, technology and entertainment have further given us more ends, to the point where a person can be motivated wholly by these mundane needs. Our efforts of labor can be wholly unrealised, leaving us feeling disconnected from the products of our efforts, and leading to a sense of meaninglessness. We then become disillusioned by this state of affairs and abandon that profession in search of another more "fulfilling" one.

This cycle can be seen today in our youngest working generation.

I imagine our ancestors had their needs more aligned with their efforts, as simple survival needs were not assured, so they had to channel all of their efforts into basic things like the search for food and water, as well as hunting animals, and protection from animals and the environment in itself. This kept us wholly occupied for so long, until the advent of agriculture, when at this point, our source of food became more stable, and we were able to focus on more advanced aspects of building a society, albeit a basic one.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:14 pm

You left out the celestial choir.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:10 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:We (the species homo sapiens) don't have a purpose. We are simply one of millions of creatures that evolved on Earth because DNA has all these different configurations and humans were one of the current successful versions. :D
Dimebag wrote:Maybe not, however as individuals we have goals and motivations, which provide some purpose. In some sense we are goal seeking machines, as when we attain a Goal, or one slips out of reach we search for new ones.
I agree with that. However, as you point out, we all have individual and separate goals, that point shows how ridiculous it is to claim humans have a unified purpose, when we don't. It shows how our human gene pool allows for the variety in humans that allows evolution to thrive.

Dimebag wrote:I imagine our ancestors had their needs more aligned with their efforts, as simple survival needs were not assured, so they had to channel all of their efforts into basic things like the search for food and water, as well as hunting animals, and protection from animals and the environment in itself.
Yes. That would seem true. However the nature of DNA means random mutations are keep going to throw new sorts of people into the mix. To me the biggest change was when some mutant ape brained, bi pedal Australopithecus genes popped out a new gene pool that started using stones to get the marrow out of bones. That allowed for the new species Homo habilis ("Handy man") and started a whole new direction that currently is populated by we Homo sapiens.

Phoenix76
Poster
Custom Title: Phoenix76

Postby Phoenix76 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:50 am

Because it would be a boring world. The likes of myself and this forums mate, BTC, would have nothing to argue about and abuse each other.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:15 am

If you can't stand the heat...

Return to “Belief, Nonbelief, and Philosophy”