Why can't everyone think logically?

God, the FSM, and everything else.
mirror93
Poster

Postby mirror93 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:54 pm

why the heck reddit has an entire {!#%@} forum for idiots to post their "glitches in the matrix" BS ? why do so many people create so many stupid videos telling their own 'mandela effect' histories? and how they are shifting to realities and dimensions and multiple universes ....... ffs

I know I could avoid watching this, but I can't understand why?? why?
it's frustrating, fam

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Why can't everyone think logically?

Postby Monster » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:14 pm

mirror93 wrote:Why can't everyone think logically?

I dunno.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:24 pm

because those experiences are likely real..yes, people do travel in other dimensions and have experiences in other realities...you do too...when you sleep you leave your body and have encounters with others.-----.one said he saw the Barcelona attack 2 days before it happened...similar to my dreams of some news events 2-3 months before they happen.....singing a song, turning on the radio and the song is playing...you unconsciously tuned into those radio waves....water drops fall indoors with no source---happened to me a few times....weird...reality is more odd than logic can explain...
Last edited by gorgeous on Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:32 pm

Logic isn't enough.
You also have to present (and support) the narrative that comes with it.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:36 pm

telepathy, too...had someone respond to my thoughts several times...here-----Phantom Water Drops - Stories, Sightings & Experiences ...

www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/top ... ter-drops/
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

digress
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: doomer

Postby digress » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:38 pm

Look on the bright side.... they could be talking about heavens agenda here on earth. Instead they are watching reruns of the Matrix.
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:41 pm

gorgeous wrote:telepathy, too...had someone respond to my thoughts several times...here-----

You've never responded to a single one of mine.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:15 pm

Reddit is...not the place to go if you want logic.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:30 pm

mirror93 wrote:why the heck reddit has an entire {!#%@} forum for idiots to post their "glitches in the matrix" BS ? why do so many people create so many stupid videos telling their own 'mandela effect' histories? and how they are shifting to realities and dimensions and multiple universes ....... ffs

it's frustrating, fam
I'm guessing that these people can't manage to bolster their self-esteem IRL, so they have to invent a narrative that they feel makes them special. Describing supernatural experiences is a way, they feel, that sets them apart (and possible above) the rest of us. It's a form of "big frog in a little pond" syndrome.

From my perspective, their "glitches in the matrix" are easily explained as coincidences, déjà vu, and various forms of sensory illusions. (Have you ever been stuck in traffic and, when the car next to you slowly moves forward, you briefly mistakenly perceive your own vehicle moving backwards?)
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:14 pm

real experiences...mocked because you can't explain them..

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:21 pm

gorgeous wrote:real experiences...mocked because you can't explain them..

Can you balance a checkbook?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:43 pm

many

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:43 pm

gorgeous wrote:real experiences...mocked because you can't explain them..
I just did.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:47 pm

where is the evidence?...making up explanations isn't science..

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:02 pm

gorgeous wrote:where is the evidence?...making up explanations isn't science..
I'll be happy to provide explanations...after YOU provide scientific evidence for:
• aliens interacting with human beings on Earth,
• remote viewing,
• lizard beings masquerading as human beings,
• the Illuminati,
• ghosts,
• the "council" you're always on about,
• telepathy,
• Seth,
• remote viewing,
• God,
• precognition while awake and via dreams,
• angels,
• an afterlife, and
• NDEs.
Have I omitted any of your supernatural ideas? I expect valid scientific evidence...peer-reviewed, double-blind studies conducted by legitimate scientists educated at accredited institutions, said studies published in respected journals, and working links provided. And I won't hold my breath. To be eminently fair, I'll give you until the end of the month. On 31 August 2017, in this thread, I'll expect a post from you that includes valid scientific evidence on all the above subjects. I'd get to work if I were you; you only have 13 days.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:12 pm

given on lots of them...can't help it if you ignore the truth...

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:13 pm

prove you exist and I will...

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:28 pm

lol, as usual the usual
Hi, Io the lurker.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:43 pm

I do not like the term 'logically '.
I came across a quote somewhere, which said (more or less) that logic is the perfect way to make mistakes with confidence.

We have all seen various forms of 'logic ' which is total bull-shit. Many get posted on this forum.

I prefer the term 'rationally ' which implies that the thinking follows some kind of scientific process. In science, the most important thing is empirical data. This means that any logical thinking must begin with a premise that has been shown to be correct by empirical testing. It is quite possible to be completely, 100% logical, while basing that logic on a fallacy, because the premise is not correct. The classic was Archbishop Ussher who meticulously and logically studied all the begats in the bible and calculated that the world began 6000 years ago.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:51 pm

and what is empirical data and testing?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:55 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:I do not like the term 'logically '.

Oh, Spock. You've been drinking again!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:25 am

gorgeous wrote:and what is empirical data and testing?

Real world, as opposed to imagined.

For example, a claim that someone has a special ability must be tested by requiring a measurable result. Not simply a statement. A medical researcher does not give a drug and evaluate the results by asking the people how they feel. The result might require a blood test, a bacterial count or similar. The opposite of empirical is perceived. People who feel something are reporting a result that is utterly and totally useless, because it could mean anything.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:29 am

what you consider special like psychic abilities will be known as a reality in the near future...

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:35 am

They have failed every rigorous empirical test ever done. Only someone not living in the real world could fail to recognise that.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:35 am

gorgeous wrote:what you consider special like psychic abilities will be known as a reality in the near future...

Gorgeous has just shot herself in the foot again. :lol:

When exactly, do the people who see the future today....say, that "it will known in the future" that people can see the future?

Are you saying those people don't know "today" because they can't predict the future?
:lol:

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:01 am

gorgeous wrote:what you consider special like psychic abilities will be known as a reality in the near future...

gorgeous, if psychic powers were real, they'd be reality now. They'd be predictable, repeatable, and measurable now.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:04 am

gorgeous wrote:given on lots of them...can't help it if you ignore the truth...
You have provided no scientific evidence for any of these things. Not evidence that hasn't already been debunked.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:06 am

For how many decades have you been saying that?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:34 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:A medical researcher does not give a drug and evaluate the results by asking the people how they feel.

Well, they do, but not just on that alone. And they take those reports, compare them, and evaluate how many people reported the same side-effects. That's how they determine such things as "this drug may cause headaches, dizziness, feeling hot or cold, drowsiness, unusual taste in mouth," etc. There's no real way to determine these things with blood tests.
#ANDAMOVIE

Phoenix76
Poster
Custom Title: Phoenix76

Postby Phoenix76 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:34 am

mirror93 wrote:why the heck reddit has an entire {!#%@} forum for idiots to post their "glitches in the matrix" BS ? why do so many people create so many stupid videos telling their own 'mandela effect' histories? and how they are shifting to realities and dimensions and multiple universes ....... ffs

it's frustrating, fam

Mr. Mirror, just think, if everyone could, and did, think logically, the world would be boring. In fact, there would be no need for a forum like our's. What would we do with our time? Make love with our partners? Ummm, come to think about it, that's not a bad idea. :D

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:34 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:
You have provided no scientific evidence for any of these things. Not evidence that hasn't already been debunked.

-------prove it...prove my precognitive dreams are fake....go ahead...

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:37 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:They have failed every rigorous empirical test ever done. Only someone not living in the real world could fail to recognise that.

---what world is that? the world that Bohr said was made of stuff that's not real??

JonDonnis

Postby JonDonnis » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:26 pm

Because humans are not logical, they are emotional.
Even the most skeptical, atheist will make emotional decisions on things.

Brexit is a great example of people unable to think logically.

Leavers tend to see what they want to see.
Remoaners think the world is going to end because they lost a vote.

People are not logical.

I am forever asked what I think on some paranormal story someone tells me, and first thing I say is "show me something to analyse" If it is only a story, then my opinion really doesn't matter.

I prefer to always be logical, but even for someone like me who made a name on it, it is still hard

Confidencia
Poster

Postby Confidencia » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:36 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:The classic was Archbishop Ussher who meticulously and logically studied all the begats in the bible and calculated that the world began 6000 years ago.

Actual for you it began this morning, the moment you woke from your deep sleep. Otherwise your memory tells you how you would like it to be.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:16 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:

-------prove it...prove my precognitive dreams are fake....go ahead...
No, no. You have to prove that they're real. That's how the evidentiary process works, dear. Have you gone senile? I'm certain this has been explained to you numerous times: You've made the claim; the burden of proof is on you.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:40 pm

says who? prove to me you are real ....

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:25 pm

gorgeous wrote:says who?

Says reality.
#ANDAMOVIE

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:25 pm

The problem with gorgeous beliefs is that they are essentially religious in nature. That is, they are believed because he, she or it decided to believe them, not because there is any credible evidence. It is called blind faith, otherwise known as gullibility.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:28 pm

gorgeous wrote:many

I didn't mean on your nose.

Actually, the question was not frivolous.

Everyone can think logically, and does so in some, many, or most areas of their life. Few, if any, think logically in all areas of their lives. I try to hone logical thinking whenever I can, but I don't always question assumptions, or check for confirmation bias, or . . . or quell heated emotion from the equation.

It isn't about ability, it is about honing a skill. Some people do, some don't. Some people cash in on those who don't.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:43 pm

some have experiences and intuition...

Return to “Belief, Nonbelief, and Philosophy”