Important notice to everyone

God, the FSM, and everything else.
Confidencia
Poster

Re: Important notice to everyone

Postby Confidencia » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:40 pm

Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:You fail to realise whatever you suppress will come out in some other way or another, this is basic psychology.

That's a myth. Analogy time! Emotions are not like sips of water that build up inside you until you pee; they are like weather events that pass over and then are gone.

Exactly! I was actually talking about the energy that moves out from within you, not your thoughts and feelings which happen to you from the outside. Hence the reason why I said whatever you suppress will manifest in some other way. It is like pruning a bush, as long as there is life in it it will continue to grow.

Your emotions are learned, you are not born with them.

Not completely true. Emotions are inbuilt. You cannot experience an emotion that is not inherent to your nature. What you can do, however, is learn how to adapt to them, to downplay them or to intensify them.

What is inbuilt is not emotional it is instinctual. Emotions are learnt behavioural patterns adapted to instinctual behavioural patterns. It is your instinct that is inherent not your emotions. They are obviously learnt.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:47 pm

Gord wrote:]
Not completely true. Emotions are inbuilt. You cannot experience an emotion that is not inherent to your nature. What you can do, however, is learn how to adapt to them, to downplay them or to intensify them.

Sometimes you can change them entirely. What you believe about an experience can have a profound effect on what emotion you feel.

You receive a surprise, frivolous gift:

1) The giver hates me and sends this to me to mock me
2) The giver loves me and shows love this way

It is your beliefs about the gift that determines how you feel, not the gift. You can manage most feelings by making use of that tactic.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:23 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gord wrote:Not completely true. Emotions are inbuilt. You cannot experience an emotion that is not inherent to your nature. What you can do, however, is learn how to adapt to them, to downplay them or to intensify them.

Sometimes you can change them entirely. What you believe about an experience can have a profound effect on what emotion you feel.

It is your beliefs about the gift that determines how you feel, not the gift. You can manage most feelings by making use of that tactic.

Sure, but those are still inbuilt emotions. I'm saying, you can't "feel" an alien emotion, like grfblatz, because it's a sensation we don't have the ability to feel. But you can feel joy when others feel boredom, for instance. You can learn to swap amongst the emotions available to you.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:29 pm

Confidencia wrote:
Gord wrote:Not completely true. Emotions are inbuilt. You cannot experience an emotion that is not inherent to your nature. What you can do, however, is learn how to adapt to them, to downplay them or to intensify them.

What is inbuilt is not emotional it is instinctual.

You might want to check a dictionary on that.

Emotions are learnt behavioural patterns adapted to instinctual behavioural patterns. It is your instinct that is inherent not your emotions. They are obviously learnt.

Emotions are instinctual. They are built into you. But you can work with them, the same way you can work with any part of your body, to get them to do the things you want rather than just random reactions.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:02 am

digress wrote:I'm still a huge novice at this.
Digress. Meet Omniverse aka Matt MVS7. This is the real Matt from the USA in 2017, He spammed his own videos on our forums
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KrT8TNVj0s

I'm fairly sure this is him again wearing a wig and glasses, when he was Aphrodite's child and claiming the "annuki" frightened him every night, four years ago.
aphrodites child.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:10 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:I'm fairly sure this is him again wearing a wig and glasses, when he was Aphrodite's child and claiming the "annuki" frightened him every night, four years ago.

That seems like a stretch. Y'know, not all white people look the same. :P
#ANDAMOVIE

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:15 pm

Gord wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:

Sure, but those are still inbuilt emotions. I'm saying, you can't "feel" an alien emotion, like grfblatz, because it's a sensation we don't have the ability to feel. But you can feel joy when others feel boredom, for instance. You can learn to swap amongst the emotions available to you.

I don't recall ever feeling grfblatz. Maybe it isn't available.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Confidencia
Poster

Postby Confidencia » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:22 pm

gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:

Emotions are learnt behavioural patterns adapted to instinctual behavioural patterns. It is your instinct that is inherent not your emotions. They are obviously learnt.

Emotions are instinctual.

Instinct will tell you when it's time to eat, emotions will tell you what to eat

They are built into you. But you can work with them, the same way you can work with any part of your body, to get them to do the things you want rather than just random reactions.

You are still looking at the small picture gord.
The things you want to do are random reactions. It is only in your delusion that you think otherwise. The only time you are in full control is when you are doing nothing. Otherwise your emotional behaviour is modelled over instinct. Your environment determines what your body can or can't do. In any event you act according to you nature, the circumstances of the situation will denote the outcome not your emotional overtones.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Re: Important noise to no one

Postby Gord » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:59 pm

Confidencia wrote:
Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:

Instinct will tell you when it's time to eat, emotions will tell you what to eat

If emotions don't tell you it's time to eat, then why do sad people binge on ice cream?

They are built into you. But you can work with them, the same way you can work with any part of your body, to get them to do the things you want rather than just random reactions.

You are still looking at the small picture Gord.

Hmm, seems unlikely.

The things you want to do are random reactions. It is only in your delusion that you think otherwise. The only time you are in full control is when you are doing nothing. Otherwise your emotional behaviour is modelled over instinct. Your environment determines what your body can or can't do. In any event you act according to you nature, the circumstances of the situation will denote the outcome not your emotional overtones.

The things you want to do are not random, they are based on your past and current circumstances. Your environment determines what you can or cannot do, but cannot change how your body is designed to function. Emotions are a product of your functioning body, as they are initiated in response to "internal" and "external" events.
#ANDAMOVIE

Confidencia
Poster

Postby Confidencia » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:03 pm

Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:

If emotions don't tell you it's time to eat, then why do sad people binge on ice cream?

Since everything is the cause of everything else it could be any number of things why sad people binge on ice cream, it cannot be traced to one single cause. However the individual part is only a link in the long chain of causation. My concern is with the chain not the links. When you look at the individual what you see is the total functioning of the consciousness as a whole.

Hmm, seems unlikely.

As long as you see the body as having some separate existence it is most definitely the case.

The things you want to do are not random, they are based on your past and current circumstances.

It is not only the past that effects the present, the future also plays a part. Now if you mix desires and fears in with the present moment, whatever comes out of it is bound to be random. In effect you are creating a accident that is waiting to happen.

Your environment determines what you can or cannot do, but cannot change how your body is designed to function.

The environment is changing all the time and so to is the body. In this respect the body is not designed to function in any particular way. It simply functions out of necessity. What needs to be done will be done. The environment shapes your experience and your experience shape your environment.

Emotions are a product of your functioning body, as they are initiated in response to "internal" and "external" events.

Emotions are mental states, they are purely psychological.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:25 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:I'm fairly sure this is him again wearing a wig and glasses, when he was Aphrodite's child and claiming the "annuki" frightened him every night, four years ago.

Gord wrote:That seems like a stretch. Y'know, not all white people look the same. :P

True.

The unusual nature about that person's activities is the massive volume of his spamming over hundreds of forums, using the same five year old mixed and matched blurb lifted from a book by Emmanuel Kant. His "Important notice" started in 2015. Although I'd classify him as organised his habitual errors are amplified by his self created high volume. (He changes themes using the same handle name and then changes handle names when he spams the next forum.)

He can't remember where he has posted what, nor can he remember where he has left other photos of himself or what photos I have on hand under which name. He now faces a classic prisoner's dilemma. :D

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:19 am

Confidencia wrote:
Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:

Since everything is the cause of everything else--

No it isn't.

--it could be any number of things why sad people binge on ice cream, it cannot be traced to one single cause.

Or it can: Emotions.

However the individual part is only a link in the long chain of causation. My concern is with the chain not the links. When you look at the individual what you see is the total functioning of the consciousness as a whole.

You see more than the functioning of the consciousness, you see the functioning of the entire person. You fail to see that your concern really is with the links in the chain.

Hmm, seems unlikely.

As long as you see the body as having some separate existence it is most definitely the case.

I don't know what you're talking about now. Are you self-referencing? Please don't make your statements even more confused by referring to yourself in the second person.

The things you want to do are not random, they are based on your past and current circumstances.

It is not only the past that effects the present, the future also plays a part.

Unlikely.

Now if you mix desires and fears in with the present moment, whatever comes out of it is bound to be random. In effect you are creating a accident that is waiting to happen.

Just because you can't predict the outcome, that doesn't make something random. I just means you aren't up to the task.

Your environment determines what you can or cannot do, but cannot change how your body is designed to function.

The environment is changing all the time and so to is the body.

Within certain parameters.

In this respect the body is not designed to function in any particular way. It simply functions out of necessity.

It is designed to function in a particular way, out of necessity.

What needs to be done will be done.

Or you die. And people do die.

The environment shapes your experience and your experience shape your environment.

Your experience doesn't shape your environment; it shapes how you perceive your environment.

Emotions are a product of your functioning body, as they are initiated in response to "internal" and "external" events.

That's what I said.
#ANDAMOVIE

Confidencia
Poster

Postby Confidencia » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:10 pm

Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:

No it isn't.

Yes it is. :lol: (I love these Gordonic banters)

--it could be any number of things why sad people binge on ice cream, it cannot be traced to one single cause.

No, that's just an umbrella term which all these other things come under.

However the individual part is only a link in the long chain of causation. My concern is with the chain not the links. When you look at the individual what you see is the total functioning of the consciousness as a whole.

You see more than the functioning of the consciousness, you see the functioning of the entire person. You fail to see that your concern really is with the links in the chain.

Yes you also see what you imagine, which to all intent and purpose may as well not be there.

Hmm, seems unlikely.

I don't know what you're talking about now. Are you self-referencing? Please don't make your statements even more confused by referring to yourself in the second person.

I know what you are talking about, it has nothing to do with reality. There is only the self, there is no second self. The body that both you and I refer to is a phenomenal object, an apparition. Please do not refer to this as the self.

Unlikely.

Yes. In the sense that it will not be as you anticipate.

Now if you mix desires and fears in with the present moment, whatever comes out of it is bound to be random. In effect you are creating a accident that is waiting to happen.

Just because you can't predict the outcome, that doesn't make something random. I just means you aren't up to the task.

Im not talking about technical matters, this is all part of your dream world. In reality something is random because of it unpredictability. For instance, do you know what tomorrow will bring outside of your little dream bubble?

The parameters are also a part of the environment. Often times the goal posts have to be moved to accommodate the misunderstandings that these parameters represent.

In this respect the body is not designed to function in any particular way. It simply functions out of necessity.

You talk of design, do you know this designer?

Quite so.

The environment shapes your experience and your experience shape your environment.

Your experience doesn't shape your environment; it shapes how you perceive your environment.

It comes to the same. If the subject and object were on mutual grounds I would be inclined to agree. The object is this but the subject wants that.

That's what I said.

You are also saying a lot more that is unnecessary.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:03 pm

Confidencia wrote:
Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:

No it isn't.

Yes

No.

it

No.

is.

Nope.

:lol: (I love these Gordonic banters)

That's what your mom said.

No

Yes.

that's just an umbrella term which all these other things come under.

A) no it's not, and B) even if it were, I'd still be correct and you'd still be wrong.

Yes you also see what you imagine, which to all intent and purpose may as well not be there.

Your reply has nothing to do with the discussion. If did, you wouldn't be posting it, since to all intent and purpose you've imagined it, and therefore would not need to post.

Hmm, seems unlikely.

I know what you are talking about, it has nothing to do with reality.

No, what I'm talking about have everything to do with reality. You're the one who talks about things that have nothing to do with reality.

There is only the self, there is no second self. The body that both you and I refer to is a phenomenal object, an apparition. Please do not refer to this as the self.

Wrong. The body is part of the person, which we identify as the self. There are many selves. There's myself, yourself, himself, and herself, just to name four.

And while some of us do have phenomenal bodies, there are some of you who do not.

Unlikely.

Unlikely in the sense that you probably don't know what you're talking about. The future can only play a role in the present if something can move backwards in time.

Im not talking about technical matters, this is all part of your dream world. In reality something is random because of it unpredictability. For instance, do you know what tomorrow will bring outside of your little dream bubble?

So then you are talking about technical matters, but you're talking utter nonsense.

Randomness and the appearance of randomness are two different things. You could design a machine with the ability to flip a coin to a specific result on command, but the observer would still not be able to predict the result even though it is not random.

The parameters are also a part of the environment. Often times the goal posts have to be moved to accommodate the misunderstandings that these parameters represent.

Get a dictionary and look up what "parameters" means. (Haha! We both know you won't.)

Of course! What a silly question! You do know where you're posting, right?

Quite so.

Chewing.

It comes to the same.

Or not. In this particular case: Not.

If the subject and object were on mutual grounds I would be inclined to agree. The object is this but the subject wants that.

Subject and object are just two words you've inserted into your sentence, as if they carry and meaning in this context. They don't.

That's what I said.

Nope. I am actually saying a lot less than I would be if I had any intention of carrying on an actual conversation with you. Instead, I'm distracting you from posting with other people.

Brick.

Without giving more information, we really aren't exchanging much in the way of useful information with each other. At all. But that's the way you like it, so you're welcome!
#ANDAMOVIE

Confidencia
Poster

Postby Confidencia » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:53 pm

Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:
Gord wrote:
Confidencia wrote:

No it isn't.

Yes

No.

Yes

it

No.

Yes

is.

Nope...

...Rhymes with hope.

:lol: (I love these Gordonic banters)

You should hear what your dad said.

No

Yes.

so you agree?

that's just an umbrella term which all these other things come under.

A) no it's not, and B) even if it were, I'd still be correct and you'd still be wrong.

So could C) be that you are only dreaming that you are correct and I am wrong?

Your reply has nothing to do with the discussion. If did, you wouldn't be posting it, since to all intent and purpose you've imagined it, and therefore would not need to post.

In actual fact there is no purpose to the intent in any of this since out of your imagination the whole universe has come into your focus, in it there is this little dialogue between the me and the you. If it weren't the case you wouldn't be replying.

Hmm, seems unlikely.

I know what you are talking about, it has nothing to do with reality.

No, what I'm talking about have everything to do with reality. You're the one who talks about things that have nothing to do with reality.

Talking is one thing, knowing about that which you are talking about is something else. Please do not mistake the bubble which you call reality for the space in which it aimlessly floats around in.

There is only the self, there is no second self. The body that both you and I refer to is a phenomenal object, an apparition. Please do not refer to this as the self.

Wrong. The body is part of the person, which we identify as the self. There are many selves. There's myself, yourself, himself, and herself, just to name four.

I know. But only one that knows.

And while some of us do have phenomenal bodies, there are some of you who do not.

Unlikely.

Unlikely in the sense that you probably don't know what you're talking about. The future can only play a role in the present if something can move backwards in time.

That's how it appears in your mind, look beyond it and you will see it is all contained in the now.

So then you are talking about technical matters, but you're talking utter nonsense.

No it's actual a sixth sense. Reality is not a technical issue.

Randomness and the appearance of randomness are two different things.

Yes in the sense that randomness as it appears in the mind is a sort of organised chaos, where as randomness as it is in reality is well, random

You could design a machine with the ability to flip a coin to a specific result on command, but the observer would still not be able to predict the result even though it is not random.

Yes a technical issue with a random outcome. The design of the machine and its ability to flip a coin is in dreaming, the result of the flip come from reality.

Get a dictionary and look up what "parameters" means. (Haha! We both know you won't.)

You may have a constant in your dreams but in reality there is no such thing unless you are talking about change which is obviously constant.

Of course! What a silly question! You do know where you're posting, right?

Of course! Mickey Mouse play area, no Disneyland, where all dreams come true.

Quite so.

Chewing.

[url=http://myhairyballsack.com

It comes to the same.

Or not. In this particular case: Not.

Or yes. In this particular case: yes

If the subject and object were on mutual grounds I would be inclined to agree. The object is this but the subject wants that.

Subject and object are just two words you've inserted into your sentence, as if they carry and meaning in this context. They don't.

I can change them if you don't like the idea of object subject. We can use experiencer and the experienced. It comes to the same whether your parameters are fixed or not.

That's what I said.

Nope. I am actually saying a lot less than I would be if I had any intention of carrying on an actual conversation with you. Instead, I'm distracting you from posting with other people.

Well you need to try harder. I still have time to post elsewhere.

[url=http://myhairyballsack.com

Without giving more information, we really aren't exchanging much in the way of useful information with each other. At all. But that's the way you like it, so you're welcome!
[/quote]

Actually it's not a question of whether I like it or not but more along the lines of there not being much else on offer. When you converse with somebody who refuses to take his head out of his bottom hole the information that is being exchanged is bound to be excremental.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:33 pm

Bottom hole? Really?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:03 pm

Poodle wrote:Bottom hole? Really?

Neighbor to this: "[url=http://myhairyballsack.com"?

Shaka's going all out to go all in again, ain't s/he...
Hi, Io the lurker.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:33 pm

Confidencia aka Shaka aka Clarifyit4me wrote: When you converse with somebody who refuses to take his head out of his bottom hole .....
Don't tell me, you get an uncontrollable urge to change your forum membership name again, so you can keep talking to them.

Shaka? Perhaps you simply have a fixation with bottoms? You keep coming back.
:lol:

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:02 pm

That seems to "run in the family". Scatlady placid can't help him/herself either... :roll:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:41 am

Gord wrote:Sure, but those are still inbuilt emotions. I'm saying, you can't "feel" an alien emotion, like grfblatz, because it's a sensation we don't have the ability to feel. But you can feel joy when others feel boredom, for instance. You can learn to swap amongst the emotions available to you.
How dare you invalidate my grfblatz! Just because you can't feel grfblatz, you think no one else can, I suppose! :beee:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

MattMVS7 and constipation

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:07 am

Omniverse aka Matt MVS7 wrote:If we really do have free will, then what I said is to be taken literally. However, if we don't have free will, then what I said is to be taken figuratively.
Matt MVS7's posts on other forums are more enlightening as to his condition.

So no Free will?
Omniverse aka Matt MVS7 wrote: But where I am getting at is that I am in a dangerous situation here since I cannot have a bowel movement due to this obsessive worry. If I don't have a bowel movement within a certain time and it all builds up in my system, I will die.

http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index ... ent-923912

Omniverse aka Matt MVS7 wrote:I try to push to get it out, but I am barely able to push at all. My mind would have to be fully comfortable, relaxed, and not worried about anything at all in order to get the bowel movement out. I am not constipated at all. The bowel is soft. But I am unable to push to get it out. There is no physical issue going on here. This is all a mental issue here that is preventing me from having a bowel movement. Even the urge to have a bowel movement is turned off. I think this is a dangerous situation because there is not a single moment that my mind can be relaxed and not worried in order for me to pass the bowel movement.

http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index ... ent-923912

Gosh. I wonder why we don't get these important announcements like the other forums? More disgustingly......how does he know his poo is soft?. :lol:

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:15 pm

Because he's full of it.
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:11 am

Gord wrote:Because he's full of it.
It was funny. He was directly teasing the other members of that forum saying that they had to cure his constipation .....silently implying he would then be able to post more crap. :D

Return to “Belief, Nonbelief, and Philosophy”