The state of the human soul

God, the FSM, and everything else.
papasmurf
Poster

The state of the human soul

Postby papasmurf » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:33 pm

I wonder how those with deep religious beliefs, which in turn are encouraged to believe in a human soul, can continue to hold on to this type of thinking with the many advances in neuroscience? It's becoming more difficult to dismiss science as a whole when medicine, at its core is a secular practice. I would even say, most elderly rely on medicine to live. Trying to dismiss neuroscience is also difficult as the study itself is beyond the grasp of most.

No soul, no afterlife isn't so hard to understand.

My grammar is {!#%@} by the way, i know.

MIT News - Neuroscience

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Re: The state of the human soul

Postby gorgeous » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:44 pm

What does science have to do with a soul?...I believe science will eventually discover God in everyone and everything.....can you show me the part of the brain that the mind is in?....no one here has been able to do so......they still insist the mind is the brain....scientists have had near death experiences and met God and their dead relatives and learned they are fully conscious out of body/and brain....my uncle is a doctor who met our dead realatives out of body...he has traveled out of body for years....
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:31 pm

gorgeous wrote:What does science have to do with a soul?...

Precisely papasmurf's point.
gorgeous wrote:... can you show me the part of the brain that the mind is in?

You show me your mind and I'll show you mine.
gorgeous wrote:... my uncle is a doctor who met our dead realatives out of body...he has traveled out of body for years....

I don't blame him one little bit.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:43 pm

we have a soul...well some of us do...others not so sure....science might find the soul , too...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:14 am

gorgeous wrote:we have a soul...well some of us do...others not so sure....science might find the soul , too...

Where do all the new souls come from Gorgeous, as the population increases? :lol:

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:23 am

They're made out of bulldust.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:27 am

some have said there are around 20 billion human souls...only so many can incarnate at a time....experience on Earth in a body is necessary for full evolvement in this learning system ....they are desperate to incarnate if only for a very short time to evolve...must wait for a chance to incarnate..

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:38 am

someone also said it is common for future kids to play matchmaker for their future parents.....might have been Seth who said that.....and the greys have tried to match up abductees and get them married with kids...one woman felt pressure to marry her guy....she had a strong dream of a grey telling her she should not resist....they should get married and have a baby because a soul wishes to be born...

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:40 am

gorgeous wrote:some have said there are around 20 billion human souls...
Who says this and how did they calculate it? Do you have a link or did you make this up on the spot?
otter 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:23 am

papasmurf wrote:I wonder how those with deep religious beliefs, which in turn are encouraged to believe in a human soul, can continue to hold on to this type of thinking with the many advances in neuroscience? It's becoming more difficult to dismiss science as a whole when medicine, at its core is a secular practice. I would even say, most elderly rely on medicine to live. Trying to dismiss neuroscience is also difficult as the study itself is beyond the grasp of most.

MIT News - Neuroscience

looked at the link story really long n hard / about a minute :-/
nothing in it about the soul ?
so maybe memories / mind can download to the cloud just before or just after death ?
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong .

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:08 am

psychiatry is a scam wrote:
papasmurf wrote:I wonder how those with deep religious beliefs, which in turn are encouraged to believe in a human soul, can continue to hold on to this type of thinking with the many advances in neuroscience? It's becoming more difficult to dismiss science as a whole when medicine, at its core is a secular practice. I would even say, most elderly rely on medicine to live. Trying to dismiss neuroscience is also difficult as the study itself is beyond the grasp of most.

MIT News - Neuroscience

looked at the link story really long n hard / about a minute :-/
nothing in it about the soul ?
so maybe memories / mind can download to the cloud just before or just after death ?

Even if you "download" your mind to a machine, that's just making a copy -- you are still your brain, and that's not downloadable. When your brain dies, your particular copy of your mind dies with it.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:20 am

reminds me of an idea I have about psychiatry .

lets say a yardstick represents everything humans know about the brain / mind .
so what god knows would be represented by a line that goes to infinity .

or there is that cliché ; the more you know about something - the more you realize how little you know.

oh the reference of downloading to the cloud is just a joke , because I have no idea of the actual mechanism.

oh and the people who are doing the research would probably resent its use in a religion debate .

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:29 pm

psychiatry is a scam wrote:reminds me of an idea I have about psychiatry .

Reminds me of word association. Let's try some.

Ice cream.
#ANDAMOVIE

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:19 am

Gord wrote:

Reminds me of word association. Let's try some.

Ice cream.

scam - low fat churned , additive riddled , fake sugar

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:34 am

lets say a yardstick represents everything humans know about the brain / mind .
so what god knows would be represented by a line that goes to infinity .

or there is that cliché ; the more you know about something - the more you realize how little you know.

oh the reference of downloading to the cloud is just a joke , because I have no idea of the actual mechanism.

oh and the people who are doing the research would probably resent its use in a religion debate .

More BS.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:27 am

MIT News - Neuroscience

looks like this thread was derailed .
guessing this study is proof there can't be a soul ?
why does it matter ? whats wrong with hoping there can be something more ?
people who have faith seem to function better ?

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:17 am

Yeah - especially those with faith in UFOs, Bigfoot, spookies of all forms, conspiracyitis, alien infiltration, etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum.
The improvement in function is there for all to see.

mattb

Postby mattb » Mon May 01, 2017 1:10 pm

To state the obvious, belief in a soul is just that, a belief, which can exist with or without evidence. Religion meets a need in our hunter gatherer brains to see something of ourselves continuing after death (a need I personally don't have). Our existence as separate entities is simultaneously true and a complete illusion - I am a separate being with a separate body, walking, talking, living a life with a personal history etc, etc. At the same time it's a complete fallacy because my physical body and even my mental state are dependent on the food I eat, the air I breathe, the water I drink etc, so I'm never truly separate from the Universe around me. Our hunter gather brains have these two modes of perception because they have been useful to our development as a species.

I guess the scientific evidence you're referring to is around the brain and its mental states/consciousness? I can imagine for a believer it's entirely possible to separate the two, to treat consciousness as something a soul does (or has) while it's inhabiting a human body. It doesn't work for me, because I don't believe in a soul. But there are millions of people world-wide who don't follow any conventional religion, but still believe there is some mysterious soul type thing which is intrinsicly them.

papasmurf
Poster

Postby papasmurf » Tue May 02, 2017 7:59 pm

mattb wrote:To state the obvious, belief in a soul is just that, a belief, which can exist with or without evidence. Religion meets a need in our hunter gatherer brains to see something of ourselves continuing after death (a need I personally don't have). Our existence as separate entities is simultaneously true and a complete illusion - I am a separate being with a separate body, walking, talking, living a life with a personal history etc, etc. At the same time it's a complete fallacy because my physical body and even my mental state are dependent on the food I eat, the air I breathe, the water I drink etc, so I'm never truly separate from the Universe around me. Our hunter gather brains have these two modes of perception because they have been useful to our development as a species.

I guess the scientific evidence you're referring to is around the brain and its mental states/consciousness? I can imagine for a believer it's entirely possible to separate the two, to treat consciousness as something a soul does (or has) while it's inhabiting a human body. It doesn't work for me, because I don't believe in a soul. But there are millions of people world-wide who don't follow any conventional religion, but still believe there is some mysterious soul type thing which is intrinsicly them.

Thanks for your reply Mattb.

I realize that the article doesn't mention a soul but in my opinion makes a firm case against there being one. The fact that so much in religiosity rides on the belief of a soul, is why I'm interested in this type of research. Will this research change the mindset of religious adherents, most likely, no. Could this type of study, along with more like it and over time, help change the perception of 'magical' thinking? I hope so.

Return to “Belief, Nonbelief, and Philosophy”