That one time in history when Jews killed other Jews for not being Jewish enough.

God, the FSM, and everything else.
Abdul Alhazred
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Yes that one.

That one time in history when Jews killed other Jews for not being Jewish enough.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:05 pm

Can't let this season pass without reprinting the atheist Hanukkah song.

Unlike "war on Christmas" there was a real war with swords and everything.

The Dreidel Song
----------------
lyrics by Bernard S Greenberg

I had a little dreidel, I made him out of clay,
I breathed into his nostrils so dreidel I could play.

I made my little dreidel a friend for his own sake,
With gardens trees and apples, and a wonderful pet snake.

I took my little dreidel out just to have some fun,
I told my little dreidel to kill for me his son.

I flung my little dreidel o'er Egypt's burning sand,
But soon again I found him and gave him his own land.

So much I loved my dreidel and feared I'd be forsook,
That I wrote for my dreidel an interesting book.

Wherein I told my dreidel exactly how to play,
Just dread and fear and worship, and bless me all the day.

I twirled my little dreidel in Warsaw and New York,
And taught him to grow sidelocks, and never to eat pork.

But then my little dreidel began of me to tire,
So I showed who the boss is, and thrust him in the fire.

And when my little dreidel refused to give up hope,
I shook my head in wonder, and made him into soap.

So now my little dreidel knows just how rough I play,
For sure my little dreidel won't ever run away.
Scientists don't know everything, therefore my favorite flavor of stoopidz is true.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: That one time in history when Jews killed other Jews for not being Jewish enough.

Postby Gord » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:23 am

I'm pretty sure there was more than just one time.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Re: That one time in history when Jews killed other Jews for not being Jewish enough.

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:47 am

"I had a little dreidel, I made him out of clay,
I breathed into his nostrils so dreidel I could play."

Of general interest, the monster in the 1915 monster movie, The Golem was a clay man that a Jewish magician breathed life into. Dreidel appears to have the same meaning as Golem in this poem. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hVH0hcCkcY

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:36 am

Adam might not take kindly to that comparison. :-P

Lard, save me from your followers.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:19 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:Of general interest, the monster in the 1915 monster movie, The Golem was a clay man that a Jewish magician breathed life into.

And in the Medieval tales, some variations had the Golem come to life when the word emet ("truth") was inscribed on it, or a parchment with the word emet was inserted into its mouth. It was stopped or destroyed when one letter was removed from the word, making it met ("death").

In the Book of Genesis (the first book of the Hebrew Bible), 2:7, it says: "Then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being."

The creation of man from clay and the breathing of life into him from a god or godlike figure it a common theme in mythology. In one version of one myth, the Greek titan Prometheus shaped man out of mud and the Greek goddess Athena breathed life into man.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:57 pm

Ruach.

Lard, save me from your followers.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Dear [Salutation][First Name]

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:17 pm

Gord wrote:I'm pretty sure there was more than just one time.

Oh yeah, the Maccabees were latecomers to this internecine violence. I believe Joshua and his cohorts slaughtered some 25,000 men of the tribes that had departed from Yahweh's good graces. Would probably be in Exodus or Joshua, but I don't have time to look it up just now.

But Joshua was still more merciful to them than to the Hivites, the Jebusites, (the trilobytes?) and other people who had the misfortune to be living on land that the Rev. John Hagee still claims was never theirs, so they got what was coming to them.

Given the long sad history of anti-semitism among some American Christian groups, I'm actually relieved to hear people like Hagee and Pat Robertson and all the end-timers lining up on the side of Israel. There are just two problems that I see. (1) Israel is not the same as the Jewish people; it's a secular state and plays the same game of power politics as any other secular state. It is not helpful when people like Hagee believe dogmatically that all the land "from the river of Egypt to the Euphrates" belongs rightfully to the Jews. Hagee is emphatic that "not one square inch of it belongs to anyone else." Even the most fanatical Jewish zionist does not make that claim. (2) if a major calamitous world-wide war DOES come and Jesus doesn't, these people will probably blame the jews for their disappointment (although, in such a situation, it probably wouldn't make much difference to anybody: we'd all be screwed.)
"Reserve a part of your wrath ; you have not seen the worst yet. You suppose that this war has been a criminal blunder and an exceptional horror ; you imagine that before long reason will prevail, and all these inferior people that govern the world will be swept aside, and your own party will reform everything and remain always in office. You are mistaken."

George Santayana, "Tipperary" (1918)

Abdul Alhazred
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Yes that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:11 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:

Oh yeah, the Maccabees were latecomers to this internecine violence. I believe Joshua and his cohorts ...

The basic difference is the Maccabees really existed.

Otherwise it's just the same. :mrgreen:
Scientists don't know everything, therefore my favorite flavor of stoopidz is true.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:54 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:

Oh yeah, the Maccabees were latecomers to this internecine violence. I believe Joshua and his cohorts ...

The basic difference is the Maccabees really existed.

Otherwise it's just the same. :mrgreen:

Well, yes, I should have said, "Except for the fact that there is no evidence outside the Hebrew Scriptures that Moses or Joshua ever existed...."

Which raises the question: Who WAS the earliest Hebrew/Jewish person known to have existed from texts other than the Hebrew Scriptures? I know Hezekiah is mentioned in the Babylonian stele about Sennacherib, and he antedates King Ahab, who is mentioned in a letter by Hiram of Tyre. But both of these kings are long after the putative time of David and Solomon. Still, the four Books of Kings (that's two books of Kings and two of Chronicles for Protestants) are written in the style of the annals of the monasteries on which most of early Russian history is based. So, even though they aren't confirmed by external sources, it does seem likely that David was a real king, and probably Saul and the priest Eli were also. But I yield to those who have studied this area in more depth than I have, with my smattering of off-hand comments picked up from sources not devoted to biblical history.
"Reserve a part of your wrath ; you have not seen the worst yet. You suppose that this war has been a criminal blunder and an exceptional horror ; you imagine that before long reason will prevail, and all these inferior people that govern the world will be swept aside, and your own party will reform everything and remain always in office. You are mistaken."

ahhell
Poster

Postby ahhell » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:20 pm

Meh, name any movement; religious or political and you can find a group of folks who killed some other folks for being insufficiently devoted to the cause.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:50 pm

ahhell wrote:Meh, name any movement; religious or political and you can find a group of folks who killed some other folks for being insufficiently devoted to the cause.

Yes, political movements, too. The Carrie Nation, holier than thou, approach.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_True_Believer
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:48 pm

Tom Palven wrote:
ahhell wrote:Meh, name any movement; religious or political and you can find a group of folks who killed some other folks for being insufficiently devoted to the cause.

Yes, political movements, too. The Carrie Nation, holier than thou, approach.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_True_Believer

And even John Brown, an upright man...perhaps a little TOO upright, who caused considerable "collateral damage" among the children of slaveholders out in Bleeding Kansas, and shrugged it off, supposedly saying, "Nits grow to be lice."

Return to “Belief, Nonbelief, and Philosophy”