Transcendental Meditation and Critical Thinking Ability

God, the FSM, and everything else.
TruthMakesPeace
BANNED

Transcendental Meditation and Critical Thinking Ability

Postby TruthMakesPeace » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:34 am

Active debating, such as on this Skeptic Forum, practices our brain's Critical Thinking Ability.
Resting the brain, during deep Transcendental Meditation, helps refresh the mind for CTA.
A balanced cycle of alternating rest and mental activity leads to progress in cognitive abilities.
My Master of Arts in Education research study found that students who have practiced TM for several years, performed in the 83rd percentile on the Watson-Glaser Critical Thinking Appraisal (WGCTA) as compared to norms established at other universities. After learning to meditate, I experienced that school exams became easier to ace. My grades improved, qualifying me for acceptance at Colgate University, to the surprise of my parents. Thanks to TM, my IQ score qualified me for Mensa. I am pursuing a follow up study as part of a potential, published PhD dissertation, and am interested in sincere suggestions.
https://www.academia.edu/5972388/Critic ... Meditation

salomed
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Cartesian Skeptic

Re: Transcendental Meditation and Critical Thinking Ability

Postby salomed » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:10 am

TruthMakesPeace wrote:Active debating, such as on this Skeptic Forum, practices our brain's Critical Thinking Ability.
Resting the brain, during deep Transcendental Meditation, helps refresh the mind for CTA.
A balanced cycle of alternating rest and mental activity leads to progress in cognitive abilities.
My Master of Arts in Education research study found that students who have practiced TM for several years, performed in the 83rd percentile on the Watson-Glaser Critical Thinking Appraisal (WGCTA) as compared to norms established at other universities. After learning to meditate, I experienced that school exams became easier to ace. My grades improved, qualifying me for acceptance at Colgate University, to the surprise of my parents. Thanks to TM, my IQ score qualified me for Mensa. I am pursuing a follow up study as part of a potential, published PhD dissertation, and am interested in sincere suggestions.
https://www.academia.edu/5972388/Critic ... Meditation

People who don't meditate, should.
Comment savez-vous que vous ne parlez pas bollox?
Sur internet: http://bit.ly/14A0n9H

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:17 am

TruthMakesPeace wrote:Active debating, such as on this Skeptic Forum, practices our brain's Critical Thinking Ability.

On this forum? No, I don't think it does, except on rare occasions. :nyanya:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

TruthMakesPeace
BANNED

Watson-Glaser Critical Thinking Appraisal, TM, and SF

Postby TruthMakesPeace » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:03 pm

Here is more information about the test instrument used for the subjects of my research study.
http://www.thinkwatson.com/assessments/watson-glaser
Pearson Testing company sells kits for the WTCTA - "the gold standard".

It would also be interesting to see if there is a statistically significant positive correlation between test scores on the WGCTA, and years of participation in online forums dedicated to critical thinking, such as the Skeptic Forum.

clarsct
Frequent Poster

Postby clarsct » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:41 am

Hmmmmmmmm.

A lot of criticism for the Maharishi University, including some fraud charges.

Though, admittedly, it is accredited.

How does one measure meditation?
When Religion becomes State, and breaking the Law becomes a Sin, then Dissenters will become Heretics.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:51 am

Make me one with everything?

Spoiler:

Hi, Io the lurker.

salomed
Frequent Poster

Postby salomed » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:14 am

clarsct wrote:How does one measure meditation?

You can scan the brain and see the changes.
You can ask meditators.
Most importantly, you can try it yourself. And you should.
It's a no brainer.

clarsct
Frequent Poster

Postby clarsct » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:35 am

salomed wrote:

You can ask meditators.
It's a no brainer.

I have. I find it was useful in helping me past my insomnia. Not bad for getting an earworm song out of your head, either. Treating my diabetes has eliminated my insomnia. So..pretty much just clearing my head.

I read the Veddas in my yesteryear quest for spirituality. I found it lacking, as I did the Bible, Koran, Book of the Law, Book of Latter Day Saints and Dianetics. Oh, the Mahabharata wasn't bad, good stories. But none had the ring of truth to them, and all had their share of pure BS.

Brain waves aren't a bad thought for measuring meditation, I suppose. What's the control group?
When Religion becomes State, and breaking the Law becomes a Sin, then Dissenters will become Heretics.

salomed
Frequent Poster

Postby salomed » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:51 am

clarsct wrote:
salomed wrote:

You can ask meditators.
It's a no brainer.

I have. I find it was useful in helping me past my insomnia. Not bad for getting an earworm song out of your head, either. Treating my diabetes has eliminated my insomnia. So..pretty much just clearing my head.

I read the Veddas in my yesteryear quest for spirituality. I found it lacking, as I did the Bible, Koran, Book of the Law, Book of Latter Day Saints and Dianetics. Oh, the Mahabharata wasn't bad, good stories. But none had the ring of truth to them, and all had their share of pure BS.

Brain waves aren't a bad thought for measuring meditation, I suppose. What's the control group?

Of course they had their share of BS:) I suggest that in terms of your own Belief System you detach meditation from the religious and see it more like going to the gym or learning a language.

Meditation may be a key to enlightenment, I dont know. But I think the science is in, it is a good step on the path to happiness and personal development, especially in the long term. If you are very new to it I would find a good class and go to that for a while.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:49 pm

salomed wrote:People who don't meditate, should.

Yes, I sort of agree. Meditation comes in different forms. If I feel stressed and overwhelmed I will isolate myself, put on classical music and make a model. My friend goes fishing on his own. Another friend goes bush-walking.

I don't know, but I imagine this has been a sensible human behavioral activity, since humans became humans. I don't like the words and woo words that are used to describe meditation, but the activity does appear to have real merit.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:46 pm

Moved to a more appropriate subforum.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

salomed
Frequent Poster

Postby salomed » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:55 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
salomed wrote:People who don't meditate, should.

[color=#000080]Yes, I sort of agree. Meditation comes in different forms. If I feel stressed and overwhelmed I will isolate myself, put on classical music and make a model. My friend goes fishing on his own. Another friend goes bush-walking.

In my country we call such activities "relaxing".

Cadmusteeth
Regular Poster

Postby Cadmusteeth » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:25 pm

What's the difference?

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:28 pm

salomed wrote:
In my country we call such activities "relaxing".

Which country is that?
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:44 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote: Yes, I sort of agree. Meditation comes in different forms. If I feel stressed and overwhelmed I will isolate myself, put on classical music and make a model. My friend goes fishing on his own. Another friend goes bush-walking.
salomed wrote:In my country we call such activities "relaxing".

Relaxation can be done in the company of others. Contemplation and self reflection is best done in isolation.

I feel sorry for all those boys and girls who have to join a meditation group or follow a specific guru, simply because they need someone else to tell them how to contemplate and self reflect.

Are these people unable to think for themselves? Are they so insecure they have to tell other people how to meditate, when other people already know how to do this naturally?

Salomed? Do you use your own "tools" to meditate and self reflect, or do you need to follow someone else's instructions?
:D

( ...and yes, I am intentionally turning this question around onto those who promote meditation on this forum, because they obviously are the ones struggling with meditation and need to "self reflect" in groups, which is ridiculous)

salomed
Frequent Poster

Postby salomed » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:59 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:[color=#000080]I feel sorry for all those boys and girls who have to join a meditation group or follow a specific guru, simply because they need someone else to tell them how to contemplate and self reflect.

Meditation is very different from contemplation; both are important to me. For me, meditation is about trying to train my mind/brain to be able to achieve states that are not my normal state. Im sure Matthew that you can do that whilst doing your models and all the other amazing things you do, but I am not as good as things as you, so for me its hard work and almost daily practice.

I have been to many meditation groups (yoga, buddhist, (even) quakers...) over the years and planet, some better than others. Meditation is a hard skill, and one I am far from mastering. But onwards I strive because I know the benefits and potentials to me are special to me.

Matthew Ellard wrote:Salomed? Do you use your own "tools" to meditate and self reflect, or do you need to follow someone else's instructions?

Mainly my own now, but I have sought the teachings of others, I don't have your arrogance to go it alone in the way you do with your painting toys and relaxing. You will probably think this is bunkum but I also get good effects, up to a point, from using binaural beats:/

I would challenge you to get the kind of changes in your neurology from painting toy soldiers listening to music that experienced meditators are shown to get from meditating. I don't think I am there yet, but I keep on keeping on with it.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:16 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:I feel sorry for all those boys and girls who have to join a meditation group or follow a specific guru, simply because they need someone else to tell them how to contemplate and self reflect.

salomed wrote: I have been to many meditation groups (yoga, buddhist, (even) quakers...) over the years and planet, some better than others. Meditation is a hard skill, and one I am far from mastering.

That's alright. I simply bought a 1000 watt light bulb and thus I am already fully enlightened.

salomed
Frequent Poster

Postby salomed » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:18 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:I feel sorry for all those boys and girls who have to join a meditation group or follow a specific guru, simply because they need someone else to tell them how to contemplate and self reflect.

salomed wrote: I have been to many meditation groups (yoga, buddhist, (even) quakers...) over the years and planet, some better than others. Meditation is a hard skill, and one I am far from mastering.

That's alright. I simply bought a 1000 watt light bulb and thus I am already fully enlightened.

I've been saying this for years, you just avoid the questions you can't answer without compromising your position. You have done it three times already this week with me. Bad form superstar, bad form.

Snakes and ladders.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:36 pm

salomed wrote: I would challenge you to get the kind of changes in your neurology from painting toy soldiers listening to music that experienced meditators are shown to get from meditating.

You have the same problem as Shaka. You keep assuming you know how other people's brains work and suggest they "strive for awareness", when they may, or may not, already be there. You are imposing your own, admitted incomplete skills, onto other humans, with no measurement system at all.

As for listening to music, I suggest you do a bit more research. Brian Eno, the producer of U2, Devo, Talking Heads, was already famous for his "Ambient Music" record label and the accompanying written material with each album, specifically designed for self reflection or changing your state of mind and so on.

Brian Eno "Oblique Strategy Cards" / 1975
oblique-strategies.jpg

Brian Eno : Discreet Music / 1975
phpBB [video]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:41 pm

salomed wrote: I've been saying this for years, you just avoid the questions you can't answer without compromising your position.
No. It's the other way around. I am educating you on techniques and "tools" that you never contemplated or even knew existed.

You are simply holding up the obvious commercial route to "meditation" that you took. I try to learn about all the different routes and then think about them. You should be more open minded and not follow orders from others.

salomed
Frequent Poster

Postby salomed » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:44 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
salomed wrote: I've been saying this for years, you just avoid the questions you can't answer without compromising your position.
No. It's the other way around. I am educating you on techniques and "tools" that you never contemplated or even knew existed.

You are simply holding up the obvious commercial route to "meditation" that you took. I try to learn about all the different routes and then think about them. You should be more open minded and not follow orders from others.

Oh bitter heart, I have missed these games.

PennyDotson
Poster

Postby PennyDotson » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:40 am

This is an awesome study and thread.. thank you so much!

Return to “Belief, Nonbelief, and Philosophy”