The greatest scourge of all mankind -- and you want something to replace it!

God, the FSM, and everything else.
Abdul Alhazred
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Yes that one.

The greatest scourge of all mankind -- and you want something to replace it!

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:00 pm

Or something like that. Attributed to Voltaire, allegedly upon being asked what would replace religion.

And now, that Da Vinci Code guy checks in. :mrgreen:

Collective consciousness to replace God - author Dan Brown (Reuters)

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Humanity no longer needs God but may with the help of artificial intelligence develop a new form of collective consciousness that fulfils the role of religion, U.S. author Dan Brown said on Thursday.

Soon to be a major motion picture. No? Image
Last edited by Abdul Alhazred on Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scientists don't know everything, therefore my favorite flavor of stoopidz is true.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: The greatest scourge of all minkind -- and you want something to replace it!

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:30 pm

Dan Brown, that's where I go to get my science!
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: The greatest scourge of all minkind -- and you want something to replace it!

Postby Gord » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:52 am

"Collective consciousnes?! Why would I want to share my innermost secrets with other people??" he asked anonymously on the internet.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:35 am

It would seem to me that "collective consciousness" is simply a "woo" trope that is wheeled out every now and then. The bloke arguing for alien UFOs, in the other thread, asked members here to contribute to his book which he sells for profit.

"The Truth Engine is a way to help combine our many minds into a single epic intellect. The founders of the Truth Engine are helping to bring, finally, into full being what is to be the Earth’s most highly-evolved creature: a super-intelligence with a pure heart who will vastly accelerate the resolution of humanity’s controversies, thus providing us with extraordinary knowledge of what’s true, what’s good and what’s beautiful, and thereby bestowing upon us a paradise on Earth."
http://www.truthenginebook.com/

He didn't mention that he gains copyright of anyone who contributes. That was a hidden clause in a click through page. Funny about that. :D

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:48 am

It's true that we are replacing traditional religion with futuristic expectations about A.I., trans-humans, Mars Colonists and of course the new iPhone.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:15 am

replacing religion?-----or just carrying along with?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Phoenix76
Poster
Custom Title: Phoenix76

Postby Phoenix76 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:42 am

So what is religion? A figment of man's desire to grab onto something to validate life? To explain away that which can't be explained?

Yeah, all of the above, and no doubt many more such frivolous thoughts. A sop to the masses who cannot think for themselves, and so need a crutch to lean on.

Bah, humbug!

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:27 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:It's true that we are replacing traditional religion with futuristic expectations about A.I., trans-humans, Mars Colonists and of course the new iPhone.
Passing fads will pass.

Abdul Alhazred
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Yes that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:46 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
ElectricMonk wrote:It's true that we are replacing traditional religion with futuristic expectations about A.I., trans-humans, Mars Colonists and of course the new iPhone.
Passing fads will pass.

Yeah?

They said that about Moloch worship, but it's still around under a new name. ;)
Scientists don't know everything, therefore my favorite flavor of stoopidz is true.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:43 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Passing fads will pass.

Yeah?

Yeah, "Moloch, Baal and Trump, LLC."

Phoenix76
Poster
Custom Title: Phoenix76

Postby Phoenix76 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:09 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Passing fads will pass.

Yeah?

And that is the trouble Abdul. It's under a new name. It could not continue to substantiate itself under its old name (whatever that was).

Religion is certainly near enough the greatest scourge of mankind. It brainwashes people, to a point where you can't rationalize with them.

From my point, i cannot see any justification or proof that religion has any logical basis. Except maybe, when people are unable to explain in there own minds some of the mysteries of life. So they grab for a god, and a religion to support that grab. Perhaps they are so insecure within themselves that they need a crutch. So many people are scared of the unknown.

Like, some people are scared to walk through a cemetery at night. Why? Is some ghost going to jump out of the ground and drag them down to hell? Don't know where hell is, but you get my drift.

We have fought some of the bloodiest wars in the name of religion. Families have been torn apart by religion (eg. think scientology etc). I just can't see any redeeming features in it. So yes, the greatest scourge of all mankind.

Return to “Belief, Nonbelief, and Philosophy”