"Does god exist" debate

God, the FSM, and everything else.
User avatar
kennyc
Has No Life
Posts: 12193
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon
Location: Denver, CO

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby kennyc » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:38 pm

Gord wrote:
kennyc wrote:
And please use the Quote button/function appropriately.

;)

Quiet, you! :shakefist:



And that is FIVE levels! Well Done Gord!
:twisted:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29476
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby Gord » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:17 pm

On behalf of the Bible and all the people who have never read it, I present: the lolcats Bible!

http://lolcatbible.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Sample to follow. As read by one or more of the voices in your own heads.

(Note: I have slightly modified the following so as to put the numbers at the beginnings of lines, even when they ought not to go there. Apparently I'm a little obsessive-compulsive, and this is my way of enjoying myself. Or something.)

Genesis 1

Boreded Ceiling Cat makinkgz Urf n stuffs


1 Oh hai. In teh beginnin Ceiling Cat maded teh skiez An da Urfs, but he did not eated dem.

2 Da Urfs no had shapez An haded dark face, An Ceiling Cat rode invisible bike over teh waterz.

3 At start, no has lyte. An Ceiling Cat sayz, i can haz lite? An lite wuz.

4 An Ceiling Cat sawed teh lite, to seez stuffs, An splitted teh lite from dark but taht wuz ok cuz kittehs can see in teh dark An not tripz over nethin.

5 An Ceiling Cat sayed light Day An dark no Day. It were FURST!!!1

6 An Ceiling Cat sayed, im in ur waterz makin a ceiling. But he no yet make a ur. An he maded a hole in teh Ceiling.

7 An Ceiling Cat doed teh skiez with waterz down An waterz up. It happen.

8 An Ceiling Cat sayed, i can has teh firmmint wich iz funny bibel naim 4 ceiling, so wuz teh twoth day.

9 An Ceiling Cat gotted all teh waterz in ur base, An Ceiling Cat hadz dry placez cuz kittehs DO NOT WANT get wet.

10 An Ceiling Cat called no waterz urth and waters oshun. Iz good.

11 An Ceiling Cat sayed, DO WANT grass! so tehr wuz seedz An stufs, An fruitzors An vegbatels. An a Corm. It happen.

12 An Ceiling Cat sawed that weedz ish good, so, letz there be weedz.

13 An so teh threeth day jazzhands.

14 An Ceiling Cat sayed, i can has lightz in the skiez for splittin day An no day.

15 It happen, lights everwear, like christmass, srsly.

16 An Ceiling Cat doeth two grate lightz, teh most big for day, teh other for no day.

17 An Ceiling Cat screw tehm on skiez, with big nails An stuff, to lite teh Urfs.

18 An tehy rulez day An night. Ceiling Cat sawed. Iz good.

19 An so teh furth day w00t.

20 An Ceiling Cat sayed, waterz bring me phishes, An burds, so kittehs can eat dem. But Ceiling Cat no eated dem.

21 An Ceiling Cat maed big fishies An see monstrs, which wuz like big cows, except they no mood, An other stuffs dat mooves, An Ceiling Cat sawed iz good.

22 An Ceiling Cat sed O hai, make bebehs kthx. An dont worry i wont watch u secksy, i not that kynd uf kitteh.

23 An so teh...fith day. Ceiling Cat taek a wile 2 cawnt.

24 An Ceiling Cat sayed, i can has MOAR living stuff, mooes, An creepie tings, An otehr aminals. It happen so tehre.

25 An Ceiling Cat doed moar living stuff, mooes, An creepies, An otehr animuls, An did not eated tehm.

26 An Ceiling Cat sayed, letz us do peeps like uz, becuz we ish teh qte, An let min p0wnz0r becuz tehy has can openers.

27 So Ceiling Cat createded teh peeps taht waz like him, can has can openers he maed tehm, min An womin wuz maeded, but he did not eated tehm.

28 An Ceiling Cat sed them O hai maek bebehs kthx, An p0wn teh waterz, no waterz An teh firmmint, An evry stufs.

29 An Ceiling Cat sayed, Beholdt, the Urfs, I has it, An I has not eated it.

30 For evry createded stufs tehre are the fuudz, to the burdies, teh creepiez, An teh mooes, so tehre. It happen. Iz good.

31 An Ceiling Cat sayed, Beholdt, teh good enouf for releaze as version 0.8a. kthxbai.

For those who can't read (JO? Daedalus? SweetPea? Pyrrho?) don't try the audio version, it just led me to an online ad for I dunno hotels or cars or something. Wait, I just suggested you couldn't read, so why am I writing instructions for you? Double wait, you actually might be able to read after all, so these instructions are still useful. Triple wait, I think one or more of you may be site admins who might take this as an insult -- oh wait, you can't read anyway, so I should be safe! Happy face smilie goes next. :mrgreen:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5392
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:38 pm
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby Daedalus » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:41 pm

Gord wrote:On behalf of the Bible and all the people who have never read it, I present: the lolcats Bible!

http://lolcatbible.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Sample to follow. As read by one or more of the voices in your own heads.

(Note: I have slightly modified the following so as to put the numbers at the beginnings of lines, even when they ought not to go there. Apparently I'm a little obsessive-compulsive, and this is my way of enjoying myself. Or something.)

Genesis 1

Boreded Ceiling Cat makinkgz Urf n stuffs


1 Oh hai. In teh beginnin Ceiling Cat maded teh skiez An da Urfs, but he did not eated dem.

2 Da Urfs no had shapez An haded dark face, An Ceiling Cat rode invisible bike over teh waterz.

3 At start, no has lyte. An Ceiling Cat sayz, i can haz lite? An lite wuz.

4 An Ceiling Cat sawed teh lite, to seez stuffs, An splitted teh lite from dark but taht wuz ok cuz kittehs can see in teh dark An not tripz over nethin.

5 An Ceiling Cat sayed light Day An dark no Day. It were FURST!!!1

6 An Ceiling Cat sayed, im in ur waterz makin a ceiling. But he no yet make a ur. An he maded a hole in teh Ceiling.

7 An Ceiling Cat doed teh skiez with waterz down An waterz up. It happen.

8 An Ceiling Cat sayed, i can has teh firmmint wich iz funny bibel naim 4 ceiling, so wuz teh twoth day.

9 An Ceiling Cat gotted all teh waterz in ur base, An Ceiling Cat hadz dry placez cuz kittehs DO NOT WANT get wet.

10 An Ceiling Cat called no waterz urth and waters oshun. Iz good.

11 An Ceiling Cat sayed, DO WANT grass! so tehr wuz seedz An stufs, An fruitzors An vegbatels. An a Corm. It happen.

12 An Ceiling Cat sawed that weedz ish good, so, letz there be weedz.

13 An so teh threeth day jazzhands.

14 An Ceiling Cat sayed, i can has lightz in the skiez for splittin day An no day.

15 It happen, lights everwear, like christmass, srsly.

16 An Ceiling Cat doeth two grate lightz, teh most big for day, teh other for no day.

17 An Ceiling Cat screw tehm on skiez, with big nails An stuff, to lite teh Urfs.

18 An tehy rulez day An night. Ceiling Cat sawed. Iz good.

19 An so teh furth day w00t.

20 An Ceiling Cat sayed, waterz bring me phishes, An burds, so kittehs can eat dem. But Ceiling Cat no eated dem.

21 An Ceiling Cat maed big fishies An see monstrs, which wuz like big cows, except they no mood, An other stuffs dat mooves, An Ceiling Cat sawed iz good.

22 An Ceiling Cat sed O hai, make bebehs kthx. An dont worry i wont watch u secksy, i not that kynd uf kitteh.

23 An so teh...fith day. Ceiling Cat taek a wile 2 cawnt.

24 An Ceiling Cat sayed, i can has MOAR living stuff, mooes, An creepie tings, An otehr aminals. It happen so tehre.

25 An Ceiling Cat doed moar living stuff, mooes, An creepies, An otehr animuls, An did not eated tehm.

26 An Ceiling Cat sayed, letz us do peeps like uz, becuz we ish teh qte, An let min p0wnz0r becuz tehy has can openers.

27 So Ceiling Cat createded teh peeps taht waz like him, can has can openers he maed tehm, min An womin wuz maeded, but he did not eated tehm.

28 An Ceiling Cat sed them O hai maek bebehs kthx, An p0wn teh waterz, no waterz An teh firmmint, An evry stufs.

29 An Ceiling Cat sayed, Beholdt, the Urfs, I has it, An I has not eated it.

30 For evry createded stufs tehre are the fuudz, to the burdies, teh creepiez, An teh mooes, so tehre. It happen. Iz good.

31 An Ceiling Cat sayed, Beholdt, teh good enouf for releaze as version 0.8a. kthxbai.

For those who can't read (JO? Daedalus? SweetPea? Pyrrho?) don't try the audio version, it just led me to an online ad for I dunno hotels or cars or something. Wait, I just suggested you couldn't read, so why am I writing instructions for you? Double wait, you actually might be able to read after all, so these instructions are still useful. Triple wait, I think one or more of you may be site admins who might take this as an insult -- oh wait, you can't read anyway, so I should be safe! Happy face smilie goes next. :mrgreen:


But can ceiling cat haz chezbrgr?
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29476
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby Gord » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:44 pm

Not in Genesis 1, he can't!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4858
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby Austin Harper » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:04 pm

No cheezburgrs!
LOLCat Bible wrote:Exodus 23:19
U gives teh bests stuffs to teh Ceiling Cat. U no can haz cheezburgr.

Exodus 34:26
"Brin teh best ov teh firstfruits ov ur soil 2 teh houz ov teh lord ur ceilin cat. do not cook young goat in itz mommys milk."

Deuteronomy 14:21
"U no can eats teh animulz taht dies uf natrul cauze. U giv it to other ppl who arnt frum here, k? Also, no can haz goatburgr cookd in milk. Dat just gross.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29476
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby Gord » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:18 am

Austin Harper wrote:No cheezburgrs!
LOLCat Bible wrote:Exodus 23:19
U gives teh bests stuffs to teh Ceiling Cat. U no can haz cheezburgr.

Exodus 34:26
"Brin teh best ov teh firstfruits ov ur soil 2 teh houz ov teh lord ur ceilin cat. do not cook young goat in itz mommys milk."

Deuteronomy 14:21
"U no can eats teh animulz taht dies uf natrul cauze. U giv it to other ppl who arnt frum here, k? Also, no can haz goatburgr cookd in milk. Dat just gross.

I've actually been reading about the taboo of cooking a goat in the milk of its own mother. Interesting, but weird, stuff.

Also, the cutting of an animal in half and then passing between the two parts in order to seal a deal. Apparently the idea still comes down to us in the phrase "to cut a deal". Allegedly. According to Gaster (1969). Although I think there's about 2000 years in between the Biblical usage and the current usage with no hint of the phrase being in the English language....
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19810
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:45 am

...it used to be "to cut a veal"... :-P
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

speedyj1992
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:02 am

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby speedyj1992 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:54 am

First of all, thank you openly seeking this topic in the midst of a world that more and more tries to tell us how to think. It's way easy to be hostile in today's world, especially when God comes up. Second, though I don't pretend to have all the answers, I myself have been in a similar place in my own life, and I want to help people with their faith in all sorts of ways regarding coming to find the truth. So, I just started a YouTube channel, and I'm trying to get the word out about my channel on Christ and finding greater humanization in today’s hostile world.

Here is my intro video, which is so far the only video I have (next is dropping tomorrow morning): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSt-Da1sNFw

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19810
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:00 am

Ad space don't come cheap. Pray don't forget the tithing and plate.
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
digress
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 am
Custom Title: doomer
Contact:

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby digress » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:38 am

there's no discussion in clicking a link and so you've failed speedyj1992
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29476
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby Gord » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:46 pm

speedyj1992 wrote:Here is my intro video, which is so far the only video I have (next is dropping tomorrow morning): [buh-leted]

Yuck. The very concept of "finding faith" is abhorrent to me.

Your second video is slightly more interesting because it's about something called "finding your mental age": http://mymentalage.com/ (I give that site about a 4.)

You seem like a nice person, but I would avoid your discussions if I overheard them in a coffee shop.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:53 pm

Gord wrote:
speedyj1992 wrote:Here is my intro video, which is so far the only video I have (next is dropping tomorrow morning): [buh...it's about something called "finding your mental age": http://mymentalage.com/ (I give that site about a 4.)
I took their test for S&G. I'm 52 years old, and the test concluded my mental age is 53. Note that I answered the questions with my honest opinion rather than attempting to get a certain answer.

It seemed to me that the choices for each question were not at all subtle and, frankly, lots of the questions were irrelevant. I mean, you're going to judge me as mentally older if I think McDonald's is disgusting and prefer an ice cream cone over a popsicle? I expected better questions.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

speedyj1992
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:02 am

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby speedyj1992 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:41 pm

Hey guys, I think you are all asking reasonable questions, but I'm never a fan of in-fighting amongst anyone, and I think the line between discussion and fighting can be easily crossed. You guys are tackling a difficult subject and I admire you all for it. It helps a lot to have a common foundation when conversations like this arise, and I believe faith in Christ is the strongest foundation one can have. I’m a Youtuber trying to get the word out about my channel on Christ and finding greater humanization in today’s hostile world. This video I just made is on my channel's goals, and I would appreciate the views/shares - hopefully, you will get something out of it, too! Thanks all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pb7ooJmE9c

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11133
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:45 pm

speedyj1992 wrote:First of all, thank you openly seeking this topic in the midst of a world that more and more tries to tell us how to think. It's way easy to be hostile in today's world, ........

Jeebus, save us from these ignorant self absorbed fundie {!#%@}.

NOTHING tries to tell you how to think, WORSE HOW TO ACT, than:............................RELIGION.

.................and nothing more Hostile. What do you "think" damnation is all about?

Silly Hooman.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Posts: 10245
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:19 am

Speedy

A synonym for "faith " is the word "gullibility ".

Where do you draw the line when you choose to believe something, not only in spite of a lack of credible evidence, but in this case, in spite of credible evidence to the contrary.

If you insist on this basis for belief, let me offer you a ranch on the moon. Cheap. I will even give you a fancy looking title deed for the ranch.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19810
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:44 am

I think Speedy has lost his/her way. That, or s/he is on a missssion to entice the heathens to become friends with Cheezus.
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29476
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby Gord » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:22 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Gord wrote:
speedyj1992 wrote:Here is my intro video, which is so far the only video I have (next is dropping tomorrow morning): [buh...it's about something called "finding your mental age": http://mymentalage.com/ (I give that site about a 4.)
I took their test for S&G. I'm 52 years old, and the test concluded my mental age is 53. Note that I answered the questions with my honest opinion rather than attempting to get a certain answer.

It seemed to me that the choices for each question were not at all subtle and, frankly, lots of the questions were irrelevant. I mean, you're going to judge me as mentally older if I think McDonald's is disgusting and prefer an ice cream cone over a popsicle? I expected better questions.

Don't ask me, I'm only 12.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:39 pm

speedyj1992 wrote:It helps a lot to have a common foundation when conversations like this arise, and I believe faith in Christ is the strongest foundation one can have. I’m a Youtuber trying to get the word out about my channel on Christ and finding greater humanization in today’s hostile world.
This is a forum for skeptics, not proselytizing. If you claim that god exists, then the burden of proof is on you. Please state your hypothesis and provide supporting evidence. Note that your personal beliefs, any anecdotal narratives unsupported by fact, and the bible don't qualify as "evidence."
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11133
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:42 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:This is a forum for skeptics, not proselytizing.

What makes you say that?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:08 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:This is a forum for skeptics, not proselytizing.

What makes you say that?
The forum header.

"The Skeptics Society Forum...promoting SCIENCE and CRITICAL THINKING"

(CAPS are not mine; they're in the motto as it's written.)
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Phoenix76
Poster
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:16 am
Custom Title: Phoenix76
Location: Qld, Australia

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby Phoenix76 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:00 am

Why the "hell" do people continually try to convince that god is real??

Firstly, which god?
Secondly, prove it.

And I mean prove it. As in a proper scientific study that at least shows a hell of a lot of association. I do not believe that anyone will ever show causation.

As I've said before, "Dust to dust, Ashes to ashes", no hereafter, no nothing. You are here, and then you are gone.
Disagree with me? That's fine, but prove it, show me causation.

If you can't, then stop filling the forum up with sheet.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11133
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:24 pm

Phoenix76 wrote:Why the "hell" do people continually try to convince that god is real??

Firstly, which god?
Secondly, prove it.

And I mean prove it. As in a proper scientific study that at least shows a hell of a lot of association. I do not believe that anyone will ever show causation.

As I've said before, "Dust to dust, Ashes to ashes", no hereafter, no nothing. You are here, and then you are gone.
Disagree with me? That's fine, but prove it, show me causation.

If you can't, then stop filling the forum up with sheet.


Resolve the DIRECT CONFLICT between you calling for proof here and then on the other thread posting that you don't believe any position at all because its all BS, lies, influenced by money?

See any disconnect at all?..............or do you just save your BS for me? THIS post is quite reasonable.

"Proof" does not mean absolute certainty................................

.....good boy.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Posts: 10245
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby Lance Kennedy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:21 pm

No, proof is not required. Science does not require proof. But rational people will demand strong and credible evidence. Quoting from a book that is more than half fiction will not do it.

User avatar
Phoenix76
Poster
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:16 am
Custom Title: Phoenix76
Location: Qld, Australia

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby Phoenix76 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:02 am

Resolve the DIRECT CONFLICT between you calling for proof here and then on the other thread posting that you don't believe any position at all because its all BS, lies, influenced by money?

See any disconnect at all?..............or do you just save your BS for me? THIS post is quite reasonable.

"Proof" does not mean absolute certainty................................

.....good boy.


Yeah, you got me there a bit Bobbo. No I don't reserve BS just for you.
I do get carried away on some subjects, and this is one of them.

And okay, "Proof" does not mean certainly, in fact nobody will ever show proof on this subject, just some vague associations backed up by a fantasy, story tale, book. A book written years after god, or was it his son the carpenter, was supposed to be here on earth. No, that was jesus. But that can't be, there is no J in the Aramaic languages.

But then, didn't this "esus" come back from the dead? To start with, when he allegedly upset the money changers in the temple, he would have been dragged off and beheaded for his crime. They wouldn't have waited til some time later to give him a hero's send of on something alleged to be a cross or crucifix. That was how the law worked in those days, or at least that is what history says.

See Bobbo, you got me excited again and I just can't help putting down all this BS. Sorry, done it again.

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Posts: 10245
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:31 am

His name was not Jesus.

In Aramaic, the name was Yeshua ben Yosef.
If we translate that name into English, it comes out as Joshua the son of Joseph.

The religious cannot even get his name right !

User avatar
Phoenix76
Poster
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:16 am
Custom Title: Phoenix76
Location: Qld, Australia

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby Phoenix76 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:44 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:His name was not Jesus.

In Aramaic, the name was Yeshua ben Yosef.
If we translate that name into English, it comes out as Joshua the son of Joseph.

The religious cannot even get his name right !


Yes you're quite right Lance. Joshua, yep I knew that :? And yes, religion cannot get it right. Why should they get a name right when they can't get anything else right?

speedyj1992
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:02 am

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby speedyj1992 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:41 pm

Hey guys, I've been in your shoes, I know that it can be easy to doubt God's existence when some really smart people like scientists doubt His existence. But lots of brilliant people believed or believe in God, including Albert Einstein and a surprising number of figures in the scientific field today. Finding God in your own life can be hard - I was a strong atheist for years and honestly didn't have the faith for it. Here is a video I did on the recent Vegas shooting and how to take a believer's perspective on the issue of pain and suffering:

https://youtu.be/QHJTVEUid4g

More to come in the future, but I would encourage you guys to watch even if you disagree with me. My heart was changed 6 years ago, very much for the better, and I pray that you guys will experience something similar.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8245
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby Poodle » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:52 pm

I admire your sticking power, speedy1992, if not your gullibility.

User avatar
Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5008
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Tarrytown, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby Monster » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:22 pm

speedyj1992 wrote:Hey guys, I've been in your shoes, I know that it can be easy to doubt God's existence when some really smart people like scientists doubt His existence. But lots of brilliant people believed or believe in God, including Albert Einstein and a surprising number of figures in the scientific field today. Finding God in your own life can be hard - I was a strong atheist for years and honestly didn't have the faith for it. Here is a video I did on the recent Vegas shooting and how to take a believer's perspective on the issue of pain and suffering:

https://youtu.be/QHJTVEUid4g

More to come in the future, but I would encourage you guys to watch even if you disagree with me. My heart was changed 6 years ago, very much for the better, and I pray that you guys will experience something similar.

I listened to your video. You basically say "God works in mysterious ways". I find this to be a really ugly thing to say. There is a ton of suffering in the world today, every day, and it's just God's plan. Bleah.

Why is there two and a half minutes of emptiness at the end of your video?

And stop using vocal fry.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19810
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:13 pm

speedyj1992 wrote:...I was a strong atheist for years...changed 6 years ago...

What changed your mind?
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11133
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:09 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
speedyj1992 wrote:...I was a strong atheist for years...changed 6 years ago...

What changed your mind?

Yes....what changed it?.........and I would ask: "What makes you think you were a strong atheist to begin with????"

You are casting everything in terms of "faith." There is NO FAITH involved in being a strong atheist---just the opposite.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Posts: 10245
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:18 am

On Speedy's comment about scientists. The USA is the most superstitious western nation, meaning it has the highest percentage of religious people. Yet in the USA, that bastion of superstition and religious rubbish, 95% of every person with a Ph.D. in science is an atheist.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11133
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:25 am

Phoenix76 wrote:
See Bobbo, you got me excited again and I just can't help putting down all this BS. Sorry, done it again.

Never apologize for the juices flowing. Enjoy the flow.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:03 pm

speedyj1992 wrote:Hey guys, I've been in your shoes, I know that it can be easy to doubt God's existence when some really smart people like scientists doubt His existence.
You've mischaracterized the issue. We don't doubt the existence of deities; we're saying that we don't take anything on faith. If you wish to convince skeptics of the existence of your god, you must provide incontrovertible evidence that supports his/her/its existence.

speedyj1992 wrote:Finding God in your own life can be hard
Especially when, like nearly all of us here, you're not looking.

speedyj1992 wrote:I was a strong atheist for years and honestly didn't have the faith for it.
Atheism does not require faith, so I have to doubt that this is the truth. Atheists discard the concept of deity because none can be shown to exist via the scientific method. That isn't faith; it's critical thinking.

speedyj1992 wrote:Here is a video I did on the recent Vegas shooting and how to take a believer's perspective on the issue of pain and suffering...
Not interested in observing a believer's perspective or in sharing it.

speedyj1992 wrote:My heart was changed 6 years ago, very much for the better...
Sounds like your transplant was successful. It's awesome when the body doesn't reject the foreign organ, isn't it?

speedyj1992 wrote:...and I pray that you guys will experience something similar.
It's horrible that you are wishing for others to lose their rationality and ability to think critically. Please stop wishing for that.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26776
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:34 pm

speedyj1992 wrote: I know that it can be easy to doubt God's existence when some really smart people like scientists doubt His existence.
Write down your scientific hypothesis for God or Gods, and the supporting evidence.

When you realise that you can't actually do that, question yourself why you are posting your fuzzy belief system on a science based forum that requires evidence.

I suggest you try a religious forum.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:34 pm

:mrgreen:
"The argument goes something like this: 'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, 'for proof denies faith, and without faith, I am nothing.' 'But, says Man, the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.' 'Oh dear,' says God, 'I hadn't thought of that,' and vanishes in a puff of logic.
—Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

speedyj1992
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:02 am

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby speedyj1992 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:48 am

We all have our different stories and wrestle with God differently. This is mine, and I hope it helps you understand your own struggle just a little bit better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVfGlty ... e=youtu.be

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Posts: 10245
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:50 am

Speaking for myself, there is no struggle. I am totally comfortable with my non belief. It is so liberating to have done away with superstition.

User avatar
Cadmusteeth
Regular Poster
Posts: 975
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 pm
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby Cadmusteeth » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:12 am

I scheduled a match with God last Tuesday and he never showed.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29476
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: "Does god exist" debate

Postby Gord » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:22 am

I actually wrestle with the Easter bunny more. He's got chocolate.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE


Return to “Belief, Nonbelief, and Philosophy”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest