September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Calendar of Upcoming Skeptic Events
hardindr
New Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:34 pm

September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby hardindr » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:17 pm

"Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Presentation by Kenny Biddle

Sponsored by CNY Skeptics

Time: Wednesday, September 20, 2017, 7:00 PM

Where: Manlius Library, One Arkie Albanese Ave, Manlius, NY, 13104

Event is Free and Open to the Public

Light refreshments will be served

Please contact 1-315-636-6533 or email info@cnyskeptics.org for more information

Presentation Summary:

This presentation goes into the most popular forms of "ghost & spirits" that are allegedly caught on camera & video. We'll take a look at examples from ghost hunting groups and famous ghost photos, and compare them to recreations. We'll break down how the camera - both still and video - capture these anomalies and ghost hunters misinterpret the images.

Presenter Bio:

Kenny Biddle is a science enthusiast & skeptical investigator of paranormal claims. He applies his knowledge, experience, and critical thinking skills to analyzing alleged paranormal photographs. His work has been featured in Skeptical Briefs (newsletter of Skeptical Inquirer magazine), books by Ben Radford, and several skeptical magazines overseas. He is a photography consultant for MUFON, and does a video series that tackles paranormal topics from a skeptical point of view.

Central New York Skeptics (CNY Skeptics) is a community organization dedicated to the promotion of science and reason, the investigation of paranormal and fringe-science claims, and the improvement of standards for science education and critical-thinking skills.

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4209
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby gorgeous » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:28 pm

"The only source of knowledge is experience." - Albert Einstein......those that have seen actual ghosts know it...so called fringe science is the science of the future....unless you examine the non-physical dimensions and beings you are not studying the full reality....-----------------"The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence."----Tesla.....Tesla was one of the rare true scientists...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29411
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby Gord » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:54 pm

gorgeous wrote:<dumb stuff>

Were you there?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4209
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby gorgeous » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:17 pm

you think Tesla and Einstein were dumb?
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29411
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby Gord » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:44 pm

I think what you post is dumb. It's out of context. Einstein could have said "put beans on it" and you would post the quote as evidence that nuclear weapons are made out of beans.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19743
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:01 am

gorgeous wrote:
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:05 am

Light refreshments will be served
I find this both à propos and humorous. :wgrin:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26743
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:10 am

gorgeous wrote:-"The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence."----Tesla.....Tesla was one of the rare true scientists...

Tesla died in 1943. Can you name one non-physical thing that scientists bothered investigating since his death?

In other words, you don't have a clue what any of the quotes, you quote mine, actually mean, do you?
:lol:

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:04 am

gorgeous wrote:The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence."----Tesla.....Tesla was one of the rare true scientists...
While that quote is frequently attributed to Tesla, no provenance exists to prove he actually did say it.
Don't believe everything you read about me on the Internet. — Nikola Tesla
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4209
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby gorgeous » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:27 pm

scientists proved remote viewing works..
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19743
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:46 pm

gorgeous wrote:scientists proved remote viewing works..

We get it. You'll stick to your lies no matter what. But have you even once stopped and thought about just how inane and pitiful your behavior makes you look?
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:31 pm

gorgeous wrote:scientists proved remote viewing works..

Off-topic.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4209
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby gorgeous » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:15 pm

Tesla died in 1943. Can you name one non-physical thing that scientists bothered investigating since his death?
-remote viewing
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26743
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:29 pm

gorgeous wrote:Tesla died in 1943. Can you name one non-physical thing that scientists bothered investigating since his death? -remote viewing


....and remote viewing turned out to be completely untrue. So that ruins yet another one of your completely bull-shit fantasies. :lol:

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29411
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby Gord » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:39 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
gorgeous wrote:Tesla died in 1943. Can you name one non-physical thing that scientists bothered investigating since his death? -remote viewing

....and remote viewing turned out to be completely untrue. So that ruins yet another one of your completely bull-shit fantasies. :lol:

Aren't there a few sciences that are considered "non-physical", like political science and economics? Um, and maths? Linguistics? Sociology?

Of course, these are all physical things too in one sense or another.

Anyway, what's the source of this quote from Tesla? "The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence." I tried to find it so I could read it in its original context, but I couldn't find where it's from. Two commenters mentioned that he appeared to be talking about "the aether" at the time.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4209
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby gorgeous » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:12 am

wiki---- to Ralph Bergstresser in 1942: Ralph's experience with the maharaja's son led him to: "... a conversation with the famous scientist, Dr. Nikola Tesla, in 1942. Tesla said, 'If you want to find the secrets of the Universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration.' I spent the last 50 years doing just that, and my products are a direct result of this investigation." Ralph Bergstresser.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4209
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby gorgeous » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:14 am

“Studies of the so-called ‘psi phenomena’ indicate that we can sometimes receive meaningful information without the use of ordinary senses, and in ways that transcend the habitual space and time constraints. Furthermore, psi research demonstrates that we can mentally influence—at a distance—physical devices and living organisms (including other human beings). Psi research also shows that distant minds may behave in ways that are nonlocally correlated, i.e. the correlations between distant minds are hypothesized to be unmediated (they are not linked to any known energetic signal), unmitigated (they do not degrade with increasing distance), and immediate (they appear to be simultaneous). These events are so common that they cannot be viewed as anomalous nor as exceptions to natural laws, but as indications of the need for a broader explanatory framework that cannot be predicated exclusively on materialism.” (source) – Manifesto for a Post-Materialist Science
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:25 pm

gorgeous wrote:wiki---- to Ralph Bergstresser in 1942: Ralph's experience with the maharaja's son led him to: "... a conversation with the famous scientist, Dr. Nikola Tesla, in 1942. Tesla said, 'If you want to find the secrets of the Universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration.' I spent the last 50 years doing just that, and my products are a direct result of this investigation." Ralph Bergstresser.

Wikipedia is not a source; it's a place where you might or might not find a source.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4209
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby gorgeous » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:15 pm

it's a source, hence the notes on the sources
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8213
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby Poodle » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:09 pm

Mayonnaise is a sauce, I note.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11004
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:23 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote: Wikipedia is not a source; it's a place where you might or might not find a source.

Thats what a source is...........or.........all sources are like that depending on what you are looking for?

What are you more specifically thinking of?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:05 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote: Wikipedia is not a source; it's a place where you might or might not find a source.

Thats what a source is...........or.........all sources are like that depending on what you are looking for?

What are you more specifically thinking of?

Wikipedia isn't always reliable. It depends on who wrote the article and whether or not they actually did their research and sourced it properly.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11004
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:11 pm

Nothing is always reliable. How is wiki not "a source?" If you are thinking because it is not always reliable...that is simply wrong.

source: A document (or organization) from which information is obtained /// We all use wiki all the time. Criticize deservedly those who don't.

Hasn't been an issue for a few years, but the reliability/accuracy of wiki was compared to Encyclopedia Britannica and found both SOURCES to be on par.

There are errors in Encyclopedia Britannica. Is it not a source because of that?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:50 am

gorgeous wrote:it's a source, hence the notes on the sources

Nope. It's a page that includes a listing of sources which may or may not be valid, depending on who wrote the article. There are valid reasons why the 11th Edition of the Encyclopedia Brittanica is revered. Hint: It's because of its authors, which included Thomas Henry Huxley and Bertrand Russell, among numerous notable others.

Unless you've checked the sources of the article, how can you be sure the Wikipedia article is valid? I further note that you failed to include a link to the article.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29411
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby Gord » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:15 am

Gord wrote:...what's the source of this quote from Tesla? "The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence." I tried to find it so I could read it in its original context, but I couldn't find where it's from. Two commenters mentioned that he appeared to be talking about "the aether" at the time.

*bump*

Anyone know?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:54 pm

Gord, I couldn't find it either. It appears to have been attributed to Tesla, but I haven't been able to find any context or whether he even actually said it.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29411
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby Gord » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:50 pm

Well, two people mentioned that in context he appeared to have been talking about the aether, so I suspect it must have been quoted from somewhere (otherwise there would be no context for them to have mentioned).

Dammit, how do you find out where a quote is from anymore? I used to be able to figure it out from googling it, but more and more I'm finding only the quotes themselves and not their sources.

Internet people need to source their quotes better. :oldman:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26743
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

The Gorgeous quote is fake.

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:57 pm

Ralph Bergstresser manufactured a mouse pad called the "Tesla Purple plate" that sells for $99,95c
https://www.lifetechnology.com/products ... ent-device

The fake quote is displayed on the advertisement for the mouse pad as a footnote.
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/cienc ... ergy02.htm

Tesla was 85 in 1942 and living in New York. He was not in India having conversations with Maharajahs . He died in January 1943.

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4209
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby gorgeous » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:39 am

tesla studied eastern mysticism and talked with their leaders ---------------------- The Inventor & The Sage: The Friendship of Swami Vivekananda and ...



www.wisdompills.com/.../the-inventor-th ... ekananda...


Sep 22, 2015 - Swami Vivekananda and Nikola Tesla were seemingly worlds apart. ... Both men were, and remain, extraordinarily influential in their respective fields: Tesla ... He was very well educated in both Eastern and Western thought, ... ------------------------The Influence of Vedic Philosophy on Nikola Tesla's Understanding of ...



alt-tech.org/.../The%20Influence%20of%20Vedic%20Philosophy%20on%20Nikola%...


continued study of the Eastern view of the mechanisms driving the material world, Tesla began using the Sanskrit words Akasha, Prana, and the concept of a ...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26743
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:43 am

gorgeous wrote:tesla studied eastern mysticism and talked with their leaders ---------------------- The Inventor & The Sage: The Friendship of Swami Vivekananda and ...


Not in 1942, when he was dying and World War 2 was raging. Did he fly to India by Concorde or by helicopter?

Your fake quote is fake and from an advertisement for mouse pads.


The Tesla Purple Plate™ is also available in a wholesale pack of ten @ $649.95. Choose this option in the drop down order menu and save 35%.
https://www.lifetechnology.com/products ... ent-device

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4209
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby gorgeous » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:50 am

---so many of the greatest scientists studied the vedas and knew they had great wisdom in the ancient texts-----------Quantum Physics came from Vedas: Schrödinger and Einstein read ...



http://www.krishnapath.org/quantum-phys ... stein-an...


------------------The famous Danish physicist and Nobel Prize winner, Laureate Niels Bohr (1885-1962) (pictured above), was a follower of the Vedas. He said, “I go into the Upanishads to ask questions.” Both Bohr and Schrödinger, the founders of quantum physics, were avid readers of the Vedic texts and observed that their experiments in quantum physics were consistent with what they had read in the Vedas.

Niels Bohr got the ball rolling around 1900 by explaining why atoms emit and absorb electromagnetic radiation only at certain frequencies.

Then, in the 1920’s Erwin Schrödinger (1887-1961), an Austrian-Irish physicist (pictured below), who won the Nobel prize, came up with his famous wave equation that predicts how the Quantum Mechanical wave function changes with time. Wave functions are used in Quantum Mechanics to determine how particles move and interact with time.

Bohr, Heisenberg and Schrödinger regularly read Vedic texts. Heisenberg stated, “Quantum theory will not look ridiculous to people who have read Vedanta.” Vedanta is the conclusion of Vedic thought.


Furthermore, Fritjof Capra, when interviewed by Renee Weber in the book The Holographic Paradigm (page 217–218), stated that Schrödinger, in speaking about Heisenberg, has said:
“I had several discussions with Heisenberg. I lived in England then [circa 1972], and I visited him several times in Munich and showed him the whole manuscript chapter by chapter. He was very interested and very open, and he told me something that I think is not known publicly because he never published it. He said that he was well aware of these parallels. While he was working on quantum theory he went to India to lecture and was a guest of Tagore. He talked a lot with Tagore about Indian philosophy. Heisenberg told me that these talks had helped him a lot with his work in physics, because they showed him that all these new ideas in quantum physics were in fact not all that crazy. He realized there was, in fact, a whole culture that subscribed to very similar ideas. Heisenberg said that this was a great help for him. Niels Bohr had a similar experience when he went to China.”

Consequently, Bohr adopted the Yin-Yang symbol as part of his family coat-of-arms when he was knighted in 1947.
----------------------------“The multiplicity is only apparent. This is the doctrine of the Upanishads. And not of the Upanishads only. The mystical experience of the union with God regularly leads to this view, unless strong prejudices stand in the West.” (Erwin Schrödinger, What is Life?, p. 129, Cambridge University Press)-------“There is no kind of framework within which we can find consciousness in the plural; this is simply something we construct because of the temporal plurality of individuals, but it is a false construction… The only solution to this conflict insofar as any is available to us at all lies in the ancient wisdom of the Upanishad.” (Mein Leben, Meine Weltansicht [My Life, My World View] (1961), Chapter 4) -------------------But, Einstein states in his letter from to Max Born, 3 March 1947, “Es gibt keine spukhafte Fernwirkung” which translates to “There is no spooky action at a distance.” He did not believe in magic. He believed in science and would regularly read the Bhagavad-gita. Einstein’s famous quote on the Bhagavad-gita is: “When I read the Bhagavad-gita and reflect about how God created this universe everything else seems so superfluous.” He also wrote in his book The World as I See It, “I maintain that the cosmic religious feeling is the strongest and noblest motive for scientific research” (p. 24-28). --------------- There are persons like Robert Oppenheimer (1904 – 1967) (pictured on left) who were not lacking in such an advantage. Oppenheimer learned Sanskrit in 1933 and read the Bhagavad-gita in the original, citing it later as one of the most influential books to shape his philosophy of life, stating that “The Vedas are the greatest privilege of this century.”

Upon witnessing the world’s first nuclear test in 1945, he instantly quoted Bhagavad-gita chapter 11, text 32, “Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.”
------------------------Furthermore 300 years before Quantum Mechanics, Sir Isaac Newton came up with Classical Mechanics which describes very basic action and reaction. Newton’s entire work in Physics and Calculus was taken wholesale from the Vedas and Kerala book of Calculus. It was simply taken from the Vedas where it was originally used for calculating rates of change in Astronomy and Astrology for many thousands of years before Newton
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26743
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:53 am

gorgeous wrote:http://www.krishnapath.org/quantum-physics-came-from-the-vedas-schrodinger-einstein-an...

-The famous Danish physicist and Nobel Prize winner, Laureate Niels Bohr (1885-1962) (pictured above), was a follower of the Vedas. He said, “I go into the Upanishads to ask questions.” Both Bohr and Schrödinger, the founders of quantum physics, were avid readers of the Vedic texts and observed that their experiments in quantum physics were consistent with what they had read in the Vedas.

Niels Bohr got the ball rolling around 1900 by explaining why atoms emit and absorb electromagnetic radiation only at certain frequencies.

Then, in the 1920’s Erwin Schrödinger (1887-1961), an Austrian-Irish physicist (pictured below), who won the Nobel prize, came up with his famous wave equation that predicts how the Quantum Mechanical wave function changes with time. Wave functions are used in Quantum Mechanics to determine how particles move and interact with time.

Bohr, Heisenberg and Schrödinger regularly read Vedic texts. Heisenberg stated, “Quantum theory will not look ridiculous to people who have read Vedanta.” Vedanta is the conclusion of Vedic thought.


Furthermore, Fritjof Capra, when interviewed by Renee Weber in the book The Holographic Paradigm (page 217–218), stated that Schrödinger, in speaking about Heisenberg, has said:
“I had several discussions with Heisenberg. I lived in England then [circa 1972], and I visited him several times in Munich and showed him the whole manuscript chapter by chapter. He was very interested and very open, and he told me something that I think is not known publicly because he never published it. He said that he was well aware of these parallels. While he was working on quantum theory he went to India to lecture and was a guest of Tagore. He talked a lot with Tagore about Indian philosophy. Heisenberg told me that these talks had helped him a lot with his work in physics, because they showed him that all these new ideas in quantum physics were in fact not all that crazy. He realized there was, in fact, a whole culture that subscribed to very similar ideas. Heisenberg said that this was a great help for him. Niels Bohr had a similar experience when he went to China.”

Consequently, Bohr adopted the Yin-Yang symbol as part of his family coat-of-arms when he was knighted in 1947.
----------------------------“The multiplicity is only apparent. This is the doctrine of the Upanishads. And not of the Upanishads only. The mystical experience of the union with God regularly leads to this view, unless strong prejudices stand in the West.” (Erwin Schrödinger, What is Life?, p. 129, Cambridge University Press)-------“There is no kind of framework within which we can find consciousness in the plural; this is simply something we construct because of the temporal plurality of individuals, but it is a false construction… The only solution to this conflict insofar as any is available to us at all lies in the ancient wisdom of the Upanishad.” (Mein Leben, Meine Weltansicht [My Life, My World View] (1961), Chapter 4) -------------------But, Einstein states in his letter from to Max Born, 3 March 1947, “Es gibt keine spukhafte Fernwirkung” which translates to “There is no spooky action at a distance.” He did not believe in magic. He believed in science and would regularly read the Bhagavad-gita. Einstein’s famous quote on the Bhagavad-gita is: “When I read the Bhagavad-gita and reflect about how God created this universe everything else seems so superfluous.” He also wrote in his book The World as I See It, “I maintain that the cosmic religious feeling is the strongest and noblest motive for scientific research” (p. 24-28). --------------- There are persons like Robert Oppenheimer (1904 – 1967) (pictured on left) who were not lacking in such an advantage. Oppenheimer learned Sanskrit in 1933 and read the Bhagavad-gita in the original, citing it later as one of the most influential books to shape his philosophy of life, stating that “The Vedas are the greatest privilege of this century.”

Upon witnessing the world’s first nuclear test in 1945, he instantly quoted Bhagavad-gita chapter 11, text 32, “Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.”
------------------------Furthermore 300 years before Quantum Mechanics, Sir Isaac Newton came up with Classical Mechanics which describes very basic action and reaction. Newton’s entire work in Physics and Calculus was taken wholesale from the Vedas and Kerala book of Calculus. It was simply taken from the Vedas where it was originally used for calculating rates of change in Astronomy and Astrology for many thousands of years before Newton


You are now claiming Krishna is real?

:lol:

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4209
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby gorgeous » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:54 am

I know it's real when you have to cross it all out.... :lol: :mrgreen:
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26743
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:58 am

gorgeous wrote:I know it's real when you have to cross it all out....
No Gorgeous that means it is all crap.

Do you still claim Krishna is real? Does that mean your claim, last week, that alien shape-shifting lizards control the world was total crap too?

Can you make up your mind, which one of your bull-shit stories is true? :lol:

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4209
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby gorgeous » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:00 am

many gods could be real
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26743
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:06 am

gorgeous wrote:many gods could be real

Which one's? "Thor? "God?" "Mighty Mouse?" "Captain America?" "Loki?" "Spiderman?" "Batman?"

Why isn't your God or Seth-the-channelled-spirit god.... fighting against the alien shape-shifter reptile people who you claim control earth and your mind?
:lol:

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29411
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby Gord » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:07 am

Did gorgeous post a source for that quote, the one I'm looking for?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26743
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:10 am

Gord wrote:Did gorgeous post a source for that quote, the one I'm looking for?
The Krishna stuff is from a Hindu religious website, he's copying & pasting from. He left a link but I didn't check it.

He copied the fake Telsla quote from an advertisement for Tesla pink Mouse-mats.
:D

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4209
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby gorgeous » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:11 am

no, just proving ellard wrong as usual...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26743
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: September 2017 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Orbs or Dust: Demystifying Alleged Paranormal Photography"

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:14 am

gorgeous wrote:no, just proving ellard wrong as usual...
No Gorgeous....exactly the opposite happened. You confirmed to everyone, yet again, that you can't hold any coherent thoughts in your own head, so you copy and past rubbish, on our forum, that you haven't actually read yourself. :lol:


Return to “Skeptic Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest