January 2013 CNY Skeptics Meeting

Postby hardindr » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:39 pm

“The Fine Print: Your Pay Shrinks as Monopolies Prosper”

Presentation by David Cay Johnston

Sponsored by CNY Skeptics http://cnyskeptics.org

Time: Monday, January 14, 2013, 7:00 PM

Where: Dewitt Community Library in the Shoppingtown Mall, Dewitt, NY

Event is Free and Open to the Public

Please contact David Harding at 315-636-6533 for more information, or info@cnyskeptics.org

Presentation Summary:

The average income of the bottom 90 percent of Americans has fallen back to the level of 1966 while the top 1 percent of the top 1 percent has seen their incomes grow more than five fold. David Cay Johnston will explain how government policies make this happen while destroying jobs, foster monopolies and risking massive disasters from crumbling pipelines, bridges and dams.

Presenter Bio:

David Cay Johnston is the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of “Free Lunch” (Penguin, 2007) and “Perfectly Legal” (Portfolio, 2003), as well as “10 Excellent Reasons Not to Hate Taxes” (New Press, 2008). His most recent book is, “The Fine Print” (Penguin, 2012). He teaches at Syracuse University after 40 years as an investigative reporter and lives in Rochester. He most recently wrote a column on taxes for Rueters.

Rob Lister
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Spline Reticulator

Re: January 2013 CNY Skeptics Meeting

Postby Rob Lister » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:44 pm

hardindr wrote:The average income of the bottom 90 percent of Americans has fallen back to the level of 1966 while the top 1 percent of the top 1 percent has seen their incomes grow more than five fold. David Cay Johnston will explain how government policies make this happen while destroying jobs, foster monopolies and risking massive disasters from crumbling pipelines, bridges and dams.

Is this a skeptics' meeting or a political event? They should get together with the Atheist crowd and have a speaker on feminism also. Then it would be a real skeptic meet.

I would have commented on it there but ...
Comments are closed.

My kind of skeptics. :roll:

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:10 pm

Rob Lister wrote:Is this a skeptics' meeting or a political event?

Meh. Could be both.

Personally, I prefer not to get my politics mixed up in my skepticism, but if this were actually a political even with a skeptic tone (rather than the other way around), ...yeah okay I still wouldn't go but that's not the point I was trying to make!

I agree with 'bLister, it seems more like a political event than a skeptics meeting.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

hardindr

Postby hardindr » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:18 pm

Event was well attended! Listen to it and decide if it was skeptical enough for your taste!

http://cnyskeptics.org/lectures/

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:01 pm

hardindr wrote:Event was well attended! Listen to it and decide if it was skeptical enough for your taste!

http://cnyskeptics.org/lectures/

Communism!

(just kiddin' Image )
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “Skeptic Events”